Sony TV Owners & Discussion Thread

Na, not that keen mate.

I’ll wait until they show up in other locations.

From memory the Sony Centre is brightly lit and unsuitable to evaluate the SXRD.

I told the head man there to put it in the HT room! I hope he does and as a matter of fact most showrooms are brightly lit so you may have to take a tent with you :blink:

cheers laurie

I told the head man there to put it in the HT room! I hope he does and as a matter of fact most showrooms are brightly lit so you may have to take a tent with you :D

cheers laurie

Um, I thought the idea of rear-pro's is to put them into bright rooms. :blink:

If you have a dark room you should be considering the VW50.

Doc

I told the head man there to put it in the HT room! I hope he does and as a matter of fact most showrooms are brightly lit so you may have to take a tent with you :P

cheers laurie

If they put it is a light controlled environment, I’ll be there.

Let me know if they do. :D

Um, I thought the idea of rear-pro's is to put them into bright rooms. :blink:

If you have a dark room you should be considering the VW50.

Doc

I don’t watch anything in a brightly lit room, ever. That’s why blacks are so important to me.

Front projectors need complete darkness or they look washed out.

I send most of my time viewing under subdued lighting. Only rarely do I view in total darkness.

Hi all

I need some advise here please, what will u buy if say u can get the JVC HD-Z70RX5 http://www.jvc-australia.com/products/_pro...pup.asp?ID=1468 and a LG HD setup box for $4700 ( Brand new through a friend who cant keep it) or should i wait for this new Sony 60inch SXRD for about $5k or so?

From reading through all the pages in this thread it sound like Sony is better but for $4700 u cant go wrong right?

Any infos is wellcome cheers

Hi all

I need some advise here please, what will u buy if say u can get the JVC HD-Z70RX5 http://www.jvc-australia.com/products/_pro...pup.asp?ID=1468 and a LG HD setup box for $4700 ( Brand new through a friend who cant keep it) or should i wait for this new Sony 60inch SXRD for about $5k or so?

From reading through all the pages in this thread it sound like Sony is better but for $4700 u cant go wrong right?

Any infos is wellcome cheers

If thats the 720p model and not the new 1080p model, i wouldnt go near it.

Im not sure about the price, but i know every one of those sets i saw setup when i was looking at the JVC/Toshi/LG comparisons looked quite poor.

And at 720p, when you can pay about $700 more and get a Sony with built in dual HD Tuners (the 60") and 1080p, id go for the Sony (based on stats only cos i havent seen one one) every time.

Yeah the JVC resolution is not 1920x1080 which a bit disapointed for that big of a size.

Well i went to HN today (Adelaide) and they have the 50inch sxrd on display for about $2500, they said they getting the 60inch in the next few days so might head back there later on the week i guess.

At $2500 there is no chance it is an SXRD.

That’s the price for the LCD.

The 60” BRAVIA SXRD goes for $5.5k.

The 50” if it was available, would be at least $3.5k, and more likely $4k plus.

I might be wrong on the price but its definately a 50inch SXRD pannel and its not a Wega LCD.

Any way Owen u sound like the guy who know this unit well, u reckon this will kicks the Pana 50inch HD easy? even thought this is a Rear Projection TV( with a large rear end) and the Pana is a Plasma. hehe im still undecide on which 1 i should get. Wife want a thin TV (Plasma, LCD) while this new Sony has a large rear end u know what i mean. I dont mind a Rear Projection TV as long the picture is as good or better than the Pana im happy

What is your expected viewing distance mate?

If you intend to view from greater then about 2 meters, then the extra resolution of the SXRD will be of little to no value on a small 50”.

The SXRD’s have better shadow detail then Plasma, but that alone my not be enough to sway your wife away from a “thin” Plasma.

If you have windows or other bright light source behind your seating position, the highly reflective screen on a Plasma will be a major problem. The SXRD should have an anti reflective screen, and is brighter then a Plasma, which is helpful in sunlit rooms.

If you where after a 60” or larger TV, then the SXRD has no competition from Plasma other then the Panasonic 65” 1080p, which will cost double the price of a 70” SXRD.

Brighter than a plasma you say......hmmm, definitely gonna have to check these out when they land......

They seem to the ramping up the brightness on the rear-pros lately, and i wonder whether thats another reason why the lamp life predictions seem to be falling by thousands of hours.

It seems a bit of a waste of time other than showroom 'pop' as i would think most people wouldnt need their set that bright.

I know when i first got my set, the brightness was way up at factory default, and whenever a white scene was shown, or a scene incorporating the sun or something, it would actually be so bright it hurt my eyes. Even know when turned down to abotu half, it still has that effect, and my current set wouldnt be nearly as bright as these ones.

My #1 post I think

I'm keen on an RearProj ever since I saw a huge zenith with pip a couple years ago in the states.

I am in a position to enter the market but my budget is going to be about 50".

I have been looking at the Sony and of course the Bravia range. I am wondering how acceptable the Bravia 3LCD units are when compared to the Bravia SXRD 60" & 70" units.

Now I know the main thing is resolution, 720 vs 1080. But in terms of performance, refresh rates etc is there going to be any real difference in what I see?

I can do a wholesale any of these but my budget is too tight to get into the SXRD units... though at 60" I dont think I will have room to put it in that I would want to sit in and watch TV....

I think I am just dissapointed the SXRD won't be in the smaller models is what it boils down too....

finally my last question... is this version of 3LCD old hat --last years model or is it new and improved? Anyone know or offer any opinions I would appreciate it... I been waiting so long for a real tv... I can't believe it is nearly here...

then I can finally chuck out my don't work from brand new out of the box, just turn it off for a few minutes and she'll be right 68cm philips...been sitting there pissing me off for the last 3 years... while I watch my old 51cm 20 yr old NEC... hmmm justice will soon be mine

thank guys

Gav

Black levels and shadow details will be the most obvious difference between these two sets i believe. The 720 v 1080 will also be a consideration.

Not sure about the response time (as i assume you meant that when you said refresh rates), but i know there was a bit og hype etc regarding the SXRD's low response time, so i would say that is also an area in which the SXRD will be superior.

But until i see one in person i couldnt say how much real-world difference it actually makes.