Sony TV Owners & Discussion Thread

If you have had two years use out of a display you can’t complain. Technology marches on relentlessly. :blink:

I have had almost three years out of my 57” Hitachi 1080 RPTV, and I never believed I would keep it so long. I purchased it back in early 2004, when I found out that the 57” 1080p Toshiba LCoS RPTV was cancelled, and no other large digital 1080 options where on the table or likely to be.

The glass screen on the 70” Qualia 006 is probably better in some ways, it’s not possible to say exactly.

However the Qualia was a premium product, with a $13,500 US price tag, and a massive weight of around 120Kg from memory.

Personally I prefer a shiny screen, but the SXRD’s will almost certainly have an anti reflective screen.

Guest Sparky66
I hope we get the Pro Engine with DRCv2.5 :blink:

cheers laurie

That seems to be on the cards for both the 60" and 70". Only the cheaper US based A2000 model has DRC 1.0 and that won't be available in Oz anyway

Sparky66 - Thanks

Owen

Is a HD STB for either the 60" & 70" going to be critical on which one to get for the display!

cheers laurie

The 60” comes with a digital tuner or tuners, but the 70” does not, so a HD box will be required.

You may want to look into a HD PVR rather then just a STB.

Sorry, I cant advise on the best models in PVR’s or STB’s as I use a PC for everything.

Some off the members will be sure to have an opinion on them however. :blink:

The US models are not the same as our models and they are manufactured in the US.

I would not place much credence on what you hear about problems with 2005 US models, as that has little relevance to us.

Also you should consider how many units have been sold to happy customers.

According to serial numbers, around 100,000 2006 A2000 units have been shipped in the US in only 2 months, and god knows how many hundred thousand 2005 XBR1’s are in use.

There are probably more SXRD’s in use in the US then there are HD TV’s of all types here.

Personally I have no worry about “green blobs” or any other problems, as any set with such issues is defective, and will be replaced under warranty.

Well if you look at the NZ spec 60" SXRD it does not mention a built in tuner![unless I'm totally blind] and surley the NZ model is not a seperate model on it's own to us!

cheers laurie

I meant a digital tuner it seems to have a twin analogue unit!

cheers laurie

It might be. I thought NZ didn't have terrestrial digital TV.

You may well be right Andrew

cheers laurie

For what it's worth I was at Sony Central George St today and they have the 60" SXRD listed on their stock to be on display 11th Oct RRP $5999 Model # is KDS60R2000 and with Intergrated HD Digital Tuner/Side Speakers

cheers laurie

ps the 70" Model # is KS70R200 no prices as yet but early November

For what it's worth I was at Sony Central George St today and they have the 60" SXRD listed on their stock to be on display 11th Oct RRP $5999 Model # is KDS60R2000 and with Intergrated HD Digital Tuner/Side Speakers

cheers laurie

ps the 70" Model # is KS70R200 no prices as yet but early November

Spotted some keen pre-order prices for these on EYO today:

60" = $5095

70" = $6665

Cheers,

BAC

http://phorums.com.au/

I think this is what is being talked about.

The forum is supported by the EYO shop http://www.eyo.com.au/ but I couldn't find the SXRD on the shop when I looked last night.

Bit of a mystery to me as well.

J.

I found those prices at EYO's new web site:

http://www.retailing.com.au/items_CatID_10...isual_Sony.html

BTW, they are listed cheaper again at Don't Pay Retail:

http://www.dontpayretail.com.au/index.php?...49_57_2183_2184

Cheers,

BAC