New Sony Lcd Range Here This Week

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My brains, still lost after all that, but anyway, the main question is do these newer panels which claims faster than 8ms really delivery faster than 8ms on a like for like basis, or do you consider it creative marketing on the part of the supplier.

so far - the latter !

sub 8ms panels cant be that far off, as they are faster in the PC monitor arena. We need to be down under 4ms to make fast panning sports much better (ie like plasma & CRT).

Sorry for the headlining, the X series will be 15/16 October, but...

Sony S Series - Analogue Tuner

KLV26S200A - $1999.00

KLV32S200A - $2499.00

KLV40S200A - $3499.00

1xHDMI

1xPC (RGB)

2xComponent

2xComposite/S-Video

Either the Sony Website is wrong or you are wrong? Sony website states the new S series does have an intergrated High Def Digital Tuner. Makes it a very reasonable RRP with this.

http://www.sony.com.au/homecinema/catalog/...tegoryId=22400#

Can anyone confirm if the Sony Website is a mistake or not?

Mossy

Either the Sony Website is wrong or you are wrong? Sony website states the new S series does have an intergrated High Def Digital Tuner. Makes it a very reasonable RRP with this.

Mossy

I'm pretty sure the Sony website is not correct. The new S does not have a HD Digital Tuner. The new V should though. I think the code for an incorporated HDDT is KDL and not KLV anyway

Mossy

Sony only added those in the past 24 hours. I was looking for KLV40S200A there last night and it wasn't there. Now it is.

The Sony website is incorrect. The ver2 S series does NOT have integrated HD tuner.

That's why Myer are selling them bundled with a Sony STB. The 40" ver2 S series (KLV40S200A) with STB is $3499 in their current catalogue. And that's no misprint.

No I don't work there. We're seriously considering getting it since they do that price on 12 months interest free (with no penalty for early payout) and we can also get at least another 10% (you get a 10% discount if you get one of their in house cards and make it the 1st purchase). It's VERY tempting to get a ver2 S series for around $3100 on 12 month interest free terms and pay it off early. Especially for us who have never bought one before (n00b alert).

Since this is our first panel TV, I have a question for the experts out there:

The pricing for the new S series is in the sweet spot for me (and importantly, Her Indoors), it looks nice in store. We live in an apartment so performance/price ratio suits our needs. The new V looks sweet but it will be > $4400 so that's a strike. The big $$ is a reason we held off for so long. I know about the difference in tuner and backlight and can wear that (for now) but it's the sound that I am troubled over.

The new V seems to be all over the S with regards to audio. But I am planning to get a sound system and run the audio thu it (likely the DAVFXG9K if Sony Central ever get one in). Won't this render any audio difference between the two Bravia series moot?

cheers and thanks to all for posting the information here. It's been a goldmine.

I'm pretty sure the Sony website is not correct. The new S does not have a HD Digital Tuner. The new V should though. I think the code for an incorporated HDDT is KDL and not KLV anyway

I think you are right. I just looked in the Myer catalaogue and they are including a Sony STB with the S series models. Why would they do this if one was built in.

Pisses me off though that companies can't get their specs right on their products. Thats a pretty big stuff up. I suppose it all comes down to the individual employee though who works on the specs for the website. You'd think you would take some pride to make sure there are no mistakes. Sony aren't the only ones I suppose.

Mossy

Yes, I got more useful and up to date info mining this forum than from the official sites.

EDIT

I re-checked our price from Myer.

For under $3200 we can get:

+ KLV40S200A bundled with a STB (DSTHD500)

+ 2M HDMI cable (a good one)

+ free delivery (at night)

+ 24 month full warranty

This includes the 10% discount from using their in-house card and making it the first purchase. The extra 12 months of warranty also comes with the card.

VERY tempting, especially since it's unavoidable that soon I have to pony up $$ for a new sound system (ours packed it in)

hi guys i googled about the new sony's now i know a little bit and read all 7 pages of the thread.

anyway i ahve a few questions.

i am a student and my budget is 2-2.5 thousand.

so the 2 odels i am looking at is:

the old bravia (klvv32a10)

the new s series (forget model number)

anyway one simple question which is the best bet to go for picture wise. i only using it for xbox360.

• 2 weeks later...
hi guys i googled about the new sony's now i know a little bit and read all 7 pages of the thread.

anyway i ahve a few questions.

i am a student and my budget is 2-2.5 thousand.

so the 2 odels i am looking at is:

the old bravia (klvv32a10)

the new s series (forget model number)

anyway one simple question which is the best bet to go for picture wise. i only using it for xbox360.

I am in the same situation at the moment. Myer are offering the new 'S' series for $2249 with the HD Sony DST-HD500 set top box ($699) but I can get the old 'V' series for a few hundred more.

The new S looks better IMO and next to each other I honestly can't tell any difference. I will be using it primarily hooked up to my HD tuner in my PC so the PC function is the most important for me.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers.

I was looking at the new S vs the old V 40in and eventually went with the old V and switched between the 2 for weeks. I initially thought the S had a better picture quality too until a helpful salesman set everything to the same settings on both next to each other. We then worked through the differences of each and I ended with the V.

I have to say that the default settings of both the S and the V are pretty crap. You'll find another thread on this site dealing with much better settings.

The Pros of the V for me (my subjective opinion) are

1. the blacks are blacker. It's really only noticeable when the screen is almost all black

2. if you are using the audio through the speakers, it has the s-master amplifier which the S doesn't

3. the black bezel makes the screen look a bit larger :D

4. the contrast is slightly better

5. the colours are slightly deeper

The Pros of the S would be

1. can be had for cheaper

2. if you don't need better audio or will be using an external amp and speakers

3. the colours look a bit brighter

Gaming wise, I only have a borrowed PS2 attached to it and it looks fine (Noise Reduction off)

It's also attached to my PC via D-Sub, and I can't be happier with it. Everything is pin sharp. Haven't played any games through it though :blink:

The V will probably be discounted more as it gets closer to the end of Oct in readiness for the new one to come out with the built in D-Tuner in it.

:P

Sony Central in Sydney was selling the old 32" V-series for 2400 and the 40" V for 3200 (or was it 3400? can't remember) 2 weeks ago.

These prices can be bargained even further.

I picked up a 32" V-series for $2200 + 160 Gb Sony high-def recorder for $1000, because I won't be watching much 'live' tv (I record nearly all my favorite shows, watching ads is a waste of precious time), so decided not to wait for an updated V-series with built-in HD tuner.

Looks like the new V series has arrived!

I was in Sony Central this lunchtime and they were wheeling the boxes in - clearly marked on the side were the new 40" and 46" codes.

Might wander back later today to see if they've got them setup :blink:

Should make getting a deal in the old V series much easier now the replacement model is in town!

Just picked up an 'old' 32' V Series, good guys Auburn. $2350, last one sorry guys.

They beat quoted price from Bing Lee Moore Park $2499, but that is with no neg.

I also don't require the tuner as i will be using a PVR, so the 'old' V will do just nicely.

I had first considered an S series before i found this fine forum.

Thank you for all the wise words,

Cheers

Does anyone know when the KFE42E200 will be out, I have seen online references to it, but only the earlier A10 model in local stores. The pictures on these look very nice, providing you are in the sweet spot like most rptv's.

I've sent Sony Aus an email but have received nothing back from them.

Everytime we go and look at lcd's etc, we notice a distracting blurring effect especially on fast camera pans etc, which just makes me wonder if they need a little more time to improve the response rates some more, or could it just be something to do with the fact these newer displays are 'fixed pixel' comared to crt etc.

Just saw on the sony website that the new 40" V is $3,999, and not $4,499 as suggested earlier.

I thought it was pretty awesome news... but how come its only got 1 component in... when the S has 2....

Saw it at Sony Central Chatswood for the $3,999.00 price too. It's also apparently lost the side connectors, including the USB connector...

I'm still very happy with my old V :blink:

Saw it at Sony Central Chatswood for the $3,999.00 price too. It's also apparently lost the side connectors, including the USB connector...

Interesting pricing startegy by Sony. New V is $500 more than the S, has integrated tuner but a few less connections...???

• 2 weeks later...

so has anyone got a street price on the new V yet?

im either going to get an old V + pana 7200 STB (probably around $3300 all up) OR get a new V if i can get close to the same price

Nornicle, I've no idea how reliable these shopping comparison websites are - I'm assuming at that price you're thinking 40V too - http://www.shopbot.com.au/p-29834.html (the lowest price is $3300). I still haven't seen a new 40V in the flesh yet.

Nornicle, I've no idea how reliable these shopping comparison websites are - I'm assuming at that price you're thinking 40V too - http://www.shopbot.com.au/p-29834.html (the lowest price is $3300). I still haven't seen a new 40V in the flesh yet.

hi mate I bought the new KDL-40V2000 from sony central chatswood yesterday ~ $3650 including 5 year warranty and delivery (literally walked it to my house since i live like 2 mins from the shop), so including the cheapest price on shop bot i paid about $320 for delivery + extended warranty + service + a couple of questions on phonecalls after installing (im a digi-tv noob and didnt know that my apartment was crap and that i needed $10 worth of rabbit ears to get my 3.6k machine working... :/)

Watch out buying it online with the only 1 year warranty, Sony will sell you a 4 year extra warranty in the instruction manual for ~$500. Sony Central will do a extended warranty for $189.95 i think

I'm quite happy with what I paid and the service to get it all up and running.

I find extended warranty to be the killer

here was what was in contention (not including delivery)

Review Roundup

Panasonic 42PX600 (1024X7??) $2800 HN price, + extended warranty $350 = $3150pros - great colour (glass cover), TV looks great, good sound (very good sound!!)

cons - reflection, not as crisp as LCD, colour is almost cartoony, reflections, pixel refresh, expensive for a 1024X768 possibly not going to display future 720p well (i think?)

I would not hesitate to buy this tv if it was under $2800 incl extended warranty and delivery. in fact this was my #1 choice until yesterday when I heard the price incl warranty and delivery..

Toshiba Regza 42WL66 (1366X768) $3300 + free 5 year warranty from Toshiba + Phillips 7200 STB $400 = $3700

Pros - brilliant 1080i picture, sharp and beautiful, big size, DVD playback quality is only so so. Would be a great TV for someone with time to play with settings. FREE 5 year warranty!!!! (till december, get in quick!)

Cons - not that many, but i have noticed the colour is a bit washed esp on reds (look orangey) on the 42WL66, although the 46WL66 is perfect with some tweaking), no tuner. I love this T.V. ALOT. but in the end is not for me because of the tweaking and STB involved.

Sony KVL-40V2000 $3100 HN price for 3 weeks old display model + extended warranty $200 + Phillips STB $400 = 3700

Pros Beautiful colours and pq, you know the score, its a brilliant t.v.

Cons No tuner and only 1 HDMI port, expensive for what it is.

Samsung LA-40R7BDX (i think thats it?) for $2800 + extended warranty $200 = $3000

Pros Cheap, decent PQ, this would be a bargain if I could get it $2800 incl ext warranty.

ConsColour seems washed out even with setting playing, blacks seem abit muddy/grey. If i wasn't comparing to others and just stuck it in a room I probably wouldn't notice any of the cons!

Notes

I could have bought the bigger t.vs, but my trust in quality and colour is with Sony. Also I'm not sure if I will be happy with lower res on the Panasonic, and the Toshiba Regza colour still doesn't compare to sony (it is still an awesome tv, and if i wanted to use two remotes and tweak etc i would have bought it)

I need to have strong colour contrast not visible in many LCD's because I primarily play video games, I also need good normal TV PQ and DVD PQ because my wife likes to watch that. I am also not a tweaker and just want things to work 'out of the box' so an additional tuner is just an additional pain the ass for me.

Conclusion:

Happy man, TV looks awesome on HD (well... 576p lol) even SD, colours look awesome. price was awesome and a no brainer once I compared the other t.v.s at the total price (delivery + extended warranty + STB).

TV setup was a breeze, the remote and menus etc are all instant and fast, the KDL-40V2000 is now patiently waiting for a PS3 :blink:

My tips to all future buyers is talk about the price INCLUDING extended warranty, this is where most retailers try to screw you and make a buck. They will be more than happy to discuss price on the item, but will charge horrendous extended warranty.

I recommend you goto Sony Central Chatswood, brilliant service and no price gouging on extended warranties.