New Sony Lcd Range Here This Week

...I have not started any negotiations with anyone as yet. Once I make up my mind, I'll go in and start seriously. Thanks for the feedback :blink:

Hi... Looks like I'm in a similar bind. Do you go in and negotiate the old V series for $3,500 or wait for the new model! I think I saw you mention that you were also interested in the Hitachi 8900 Plasma which is also tempting, so I'll be very interested in which way you jump!

I'm extremely jealous of Lovmytv! A proud owner of 2 x Sony 40" V's. I'm curious as to why you of all people wouldn't have waited for the new X or V model. You are already blessed with a V. Or should I wait and pick up one of your older V's when you upgrade in a couple of months time... :D

Would be interested in what prices people are paying in Melbourne for the older V model. Sounds like this is the best buy over the newer S series.

Lovmytv, would love the reasons why you have bought the Sony V and what other TV's have you considered?

Cheers...

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Could you please share what you found out?

Hey Alex,

Was reading this over at avforums

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=328368

Q: Do the new Sony LCDs with VGA inputs allow 1:1 mapping over this input?

A: Yes. Set your PC to 1360x768 to get crispy 1:1 mapped video.

I know it pertains to the Europe ones, but hopefully it wont be too different here. Unfortunately (or fortunately) for me, PC view is very important for me.

I was looking at the Acer AT3705 as well, but I'm now thinking of a 1366x768 screen over a 1920x1080 screen for now.

1 option is to get the 32incher for now, until the new screens come out and down in price. Get those at a later date and move the 32incher into the bedroom :D (See I am dodgey, always looking after myself) :blink:

Hey curiousmind,

I actually meant the Hitachi 37LD8800TA 37in LCD screen. Plasmas are out for me as I can't make the room dark in any way. PC connectivity and burn in issues also rule the plasma out for me. (Otherwise, I could save some money there) :P

1 option is to get the 32incher for now, until the new screens come out and down in price. Get those at a later date and move the 32incher into the bedroom :D (See I am dodgey, always looking after myself) :blink:

Dodgey... Great minds think alike! I too was considering the 32" option then updgrading when the new X series 40" comes down to a reasonable price... I just cant come at parting with so much money and watching all the new stuff come out and then it dropping in price... But I'm also realistic, you need to jump in at some point, just don't want to burn money for the sake of burning it!

yeah, the "dodgey" nick kinda stuck because of my name, I'm used to the connotation of that nick these days. Anyway, prefer it more than ramjet :blink:

No worries about the PC thing. I might do a bit more research and check in with the shop. Unfortunately, I'm rarely in the city these days. (Work in Chatswood)

I have not started any negotiations with anyone as yet. Once I make up my mind, I'll go in and start seriously. Thanks for the feedback :D

Dodgey, there's a Sony Central shop in Chatswood in the Mandarin Centre. They should be able to give you a good deal as well (no I don't work there).

-snip-

Glenn I did give myer City store at least, an opportunity to get into this deal. I thought Since you alerted us to the new S I would at the bear minimum, give myer ago.

So I rang.

1) They didnt even know what the new "s" was (not a good start)

2) When asked if they could find out - no one had an answer

3) Asked about the runout V price - Was told $4799............er um...huh

4) I said I have $3500 from the Sony shop. Was told the Sony Central price was impossible. Cant do it. It must be a mistake.

5) Asked if they would check - they said they would call me back. Dept manager was out. - This was at 2.30 I said i wanted to buy today after left my office in the city.

6) no return call

7) Rang them back up 7pm

8) The salesdrone forgot who I was, then remembered, then tried to sell me a samsung.

9) I Asked why the samsung was better - answer :- Its newer and costs less. Are they trying to sell me something here or do Myer think customers are idiots. At least give me one good reason to ask more questions.

10) Sony Central - 8.30pm - Deal done. Being delivered saturday. I'm happy. Great deal, good service. Alls well in my world

Now Glenn, when you pass on all the info as you said you would to your buyers ect - be a good boy and tell them how Myer lost a sale because they dont know what they are talking about! Im sure those new owners changing things will be mighty impressed.

But dont fret too much - The Retravision store next to Sony central were just as clueless. Asking $4100 for the V40, running the worst DVD I have ever seem being used as a demo, in the wrong screen ratio too.

LMT

LMT, very funny story. :blink:

I haven't been to myer in the city for a couple of years now but they use to have a decent set up there with a couple of HT rooms, etc. Having said that doesn't mean that the staff know the gear. :D

Sony Central are good, I've bought a few things from the Chatswood shop but haven't been to the city one yet. I'll have to check it out soon though, I'm after a Vaio laptop and one of those ultra zoom digital cameras.

Now Glenn, when you pass on all the info as you said you would to your buyers ect - be a good boy and tell them how Myer lost a sale because they dont know what they are talking about! Im sure those new owners changing things will be mighty

Dude, no need to be condescending. Glenn has posted some great info on this thread.

I went to sony central world square today as well, asked about the new V, and they said, end of September and price to be $4,499. You guys generally reckon that if i offer to pay cash that the $4,499 is negotiable when it first comes out?

James

Dont ask dont get. I would ask nicely, rub up a salesone the right way and be nice - they'll probably think your a good bloke and do a deal. The "I saw it at XXX for $XXXX" line normally pisses most salespeople off. I always use the nice way and get a good deal

Hi... Looks like I'm in a similar bind. Do you go in and negotiate the old V series for $3,500 or wait for the new model! I think I saw you mention that you were also interested in the Hitachi 8900 Plasma which is also tempting, so I'll be very interested in which way you jump!

I'm extremely jealous of Lovmytv! A proud owner of 2 x Sony 40" V's. I'm curious as to why you of all people wouldn't have waited for the new X or V model. You are already blessed with a V. Or should I wait and pick up one of your older V's when you upgrade in a couple of months time... :blink:

Would be interested in what prices people are paying in Melbourne for the older V model. Sounds like this is the best buy over the newer S series.

Lovmytv, would love the reasons why you have bought the Sony V and what other TV's have you considered?

Cheers...

I only buy sony. SO I dont really consider other brands. I look at them to get Ideas, but everything I own is Sony. Ive never had a problem so I keep buying.

My issues wit the new V is the integrated HD. My PVR has had three firmware upgrades so far and my DSTHD500 has had one. What happens when an integrated unit needs a firmware upgrade on the Tuner. Do I need to cart it back ?? So at this stage until I hear more about built in sets and possible future flaws, I dont want to go that way.

Second reason I bought the old V - I already had a spare STB. SO I didnt need to spend the extra on a new intergrated set.

Third reason. Already own one - luv it good unit, no problems so I guess its a matter of stick to what U know.

Lastly - bonus 20 movies - I always had my eye on the 007 pack. I remember going to see the movies in the theatres through the 60's and 70's so I have a kind of attachment - need a nostalgia fix

My issues wit the new V is the integrated HD. My PVR has had three firmware upgrades so far and my DSTHD500 has had one. What happens when an integrated unit needs a firmware upgrade on the Tuner. Do I need to cart it back ?? So at this stage until I hear more about built in sets and possible future flaws, I dont want to go that way.

Lastly - bonus 20 movies - I always had my eye on the 007 pack. I remember going to see the movies in the theatres through the 60's and 70's so I have a kind of attachment - need a nostalgia fix

Looking back the the FAQ, it looks like Sony has thought about the firmware already. (See below) It doesn't necessarily mean that they allow you to do it, but they could just send a techie with a MS with the firmware and do it for you...

Q: How are firmware upgrades delivered to the BRAVIA TVs?

A: On the first V-Series models (2005 versions), there's a strange connector on the back beside the HDMI input that looks a bit like an S-Video connector but isn't. This is the Service port. (It may be the same on the old S-Series).

On the new models (the "2000" ones that came out in 2006), there's a hidden MemoryStick input on the back beside the card slot.

I had my eye on the Bond pack too, but I already have a 5.1 system (yeah and no TV) so unless I can offload it, I'll have to think seriously about it. I've also been waiting for the the new VAIO SZ to come out and get it at the same time, but that's still ages away :blink:

40" Bravia V-series $3,997 at Sony Central Perth. See here. Price after haggling $?,???.

Better still, wonder what the price is after calling the friend of a friend? Will find out Tuesday.

I think I'm going to go for an existing 40" V series now, rather than wait for a far more expensive 46" X series. The only problem is that I will have to avoid the AV stores and this forum for a while if I do.

I should be getting about $9K (before tax) extra in the pay packet at Christmas, so it is tempting to wait though :blink:

Simon....

I'm going to wait and go the whole hog (ie X series or whatever else may have appeared in the meantime) because I'm only going to get one shot at this so I don't want buyers remorse. It's been bad enough convincing the CFO that we need to spend however many thousand dollars on a television - if I came back a year later and said that the one we bought isn't good enough any more and we need to spend more kilobucks on the latest and greatest, then, well, let's just say I wouldn't get much sympathy. So the set I buy will have to be it for the forseeable future.

Just been down to Sony Central in Sydney CBD and I have to say those S series LCD tvs are pretty awesome - there wasn't much in it but to my eye they were slightly brigher & sharper than the old V series.

This bodes very well for the new V series - if its as good as people are saying and with the inbuilt hd tuner it looks like the one to plonk down some cash for!

Just been down to Sony Central in Sydney CBD and I have to say those S series LCD tvs are pretty awesome - there wasn't much in it but to my eye they were slightly brigher & sharper than the old V series.

This bodes very well for the new V series - if its as good as people are saying and with the inbuilt hd tuner it looks like the one to plonk down some cash for!

Just got back from Chatswood Sony Central. They have the old V 40incher there (limited) for 3699. I didn't haggle as I'm not ready yet. Still cannot decide.

The new S did look brighter and sharper, but there was a nice guy there who readjusted (equalised) everything on the 2 for me, and it was pretty similar. I couldn't tell the difference after that.

Just got back from Chatswood Sony Central. They have the old V 40incher there (limited) for 3699. I didn't haggle as I'm not ready yet. Still cannot decide.

The new S did look brighter and sharper, but there was a nice guy there who readjusted (equalised) everything on the 2 for me, and it was pretty similar. I couldn't tell the difference after that.

Good point there dodgey. Some people say one set is better than the other without actually checking adjustments on the tv. The settings could have been changed by a customer or a salesperson with bad eye sight. So, always make sure the tv hasn't been tinkered with (in a negative way) before saying how bad a picture is. :blink:

Fair enough - I didn't have time to check settings on my lunch break, was just a casual observation.

To be honest PQ on both sets looks fantastic - I'd happily live with either :D.

I have to say that the setup at Sony Central gets a big thumbs up from me aswell - they do these sets justice with a quality feed, whereas the bigger retailers I've been to just pipe through any old cr@p.

You'ld think they'ld actually want to try and sell these things :blink:

Fair enough - I didn't have time to check settings on my lunch break, was just a casual observation.

To be honest PQ on both sets looks fantastic - I'd happily live with either :P.

I have to say that the setup at Sony Central gets a big thumbs up from me aswell - they do these sets justice with a quality feed, whereas the bigger retailers I've been to just pipe through any old cr@p.

You'ld think they'ld actually want to try and sell these things :blink:

I wasn't having a go at you Andy. I was just saying to be weary in certain stores of the PQ you are seeing.

Yes I would trust Sony Central before HN and a lot of other stores. Most of them wouldn't know how to make adjustments properly. :D

Yes I would trust Sony Central before HN and a lot of other stores. Most of them wouldn't know how to make adjustments properly. :blink:

I asked if it was OK for me to bring a DVD in as I was interested in seeing some fast horizontal movements as well, like car racing or sports, and they were very obliging.

The PQ on either sets were brilliant. That's 1 thing I was confused about when I initially started looking. Reading all the reviews and stuff onthe web about the Hitachi 37LD8800, lots of people were saying how good they were, but actually seeing it in JB, I couldn't understand it, because it looked so crappy. However, having seen 1 with that didn't use the composite input, I can understand how important the signal inputs are now.

Anyway, still not making the decision any easier...

Just got Retravision catalogue in the mailbox.

They have the new S32 for $2487 and the new S40 for $3487.

So they must onw be out and shipping all round. We know Sony Central Have them, We know retra have them, and the almighty Myer is suppossed to have them.

Less than 24hrs now for my ew V40!

Just got Retravision catalogue in the mailbox.

They have the new S32 for $2487 and the new S40 for $3487.

So they must onw be out and shipping all round. We know Sony Central Have them, We know retra have them, and the almighty Myer is suppossed to have them.

Less than 24hrs now for my ew V40!

S Series arrived, looks good, better than old V.

However, Sony couldn't deliver V Series directly to Store, and as such looks like Tuesday the V at store level.

Now Glenn, when you pass on all the info as you said you would to your buyers ect - be a good boy and tell them how Myer lost a sale because they dont know what they are talking about! Im sure those new owners changing things will be mighty impressed.

But dont fret too much - The Retravision store next to Sony central were just as clueless. Asking $4100 for the V40, running the worst DVD I have ever seem being used as a demo, in the wrong screen ratio too.

LMT

Having said that, Tuesday when I posted what I did Sony didn't have a clue, but Thursday they had stock. Could say that Sony had no clue too.

Thats good you got the Sony. I thought off memory the Myer ticketed price was $3999 for the V40, the old S is $2999 ticketed.

Wherever you go, the staff make a difference. It's sad that your local Myer didn't know, however any Victorian or SA Myer store would've had a staff member that had seen the new S, V and X series that week - and all should've had an idea of price.

HI quite new to this but was waiting for the X series to arrive before puchasing..suprised after reading posts that a 26 & 32 inch are not mentioned.

Are they not being produced in these sizes, especially the 32 inch as space is very limited....

Having said that, Tuesday when I posted what I did Sony didn't have a clue, but Thursday they had stock. Could say that Sony had no clue too.

Thats good you got the Sony. I thought off memory the Myer ticketed price was $3999 for the V40, the old S is $2999 ticketed.

Wherever you go, the staff make a difference. It's sad that your local Myer didn't know, however any Victorian or SA Myer store would've had a staff member that had seen the new S, V and X series that week - and all should've had an idea of price.

I am very interested in the X series and would dearly love to see it person so I can assess some of the negative reports (from the UK) in relation to haloing around SD images. This haloing apparently doesn't effect HD, but bearing in mind the majority of our digital TV is broadcast in SD, this would be an issue.

HI quite new to this but was waiting for the X series to arrive before puchasing..suprised after reading posts that a 26 & 32 inch are not mentioned.

Are they not being produced in these sizes, especially the 32 inch as space is very limited....

I think the smallest X will be the 40incher. Only the V and the S will have the 32incher downwards...