New Sony Lcd Range Here This Week

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey boys I was looking at getting a 40" LCD.

So I was originally looking at the V Series

Now the new V Series is coming out

and now the X Series is coming out soonish..

Im going to be getting a PS3 on launch.

Is it worth getting the X series for 1080p (Gaming and Bluray) on a 40" screen? or will the difference between the 720p V series and 1080p X series at 40" be bearly noticable?

this is what Cnet said about the X series 40"

"You might expect the 1920-by-1080-pixel native resolution Sony to thoroughly trounce the other three 1366-by-768-pixel LCDs in the arena of detail, especially with a hypersharp disc like Swordfish, but that wasn't the case. From our seating distance of six feet, we had to really struggle to discern the difference in detail between the four sets. Yes, we saw it after awhile, mainly by staring at hair; when Stanley's ex-wife sleeps through her daughter's phone call, for example, we saw a bit more strands and highlights in her hair on the Sony than the other displays. Of course you'd be able to discern more of a difference on a larger screen; the Sony's 40-inch panel, like that of the 37-inch Sharp mentioned above, is simply too small to really show off the extra detail of 1080p. Speaking of 1080p, we hooked the KDL-40XBR2 up to the Samsung BD-P1000 and it handled that player's 1080p/60 signal fine, although the set could not accept the 1080p/24 output from our HDTV signal generator (we've encountered few TVs that can, and we don't consider this a big deal)."

so according to them the difference between a 720p display and 1080p display at 40" is not THAT noticable?

so is it maybe worth saving the extra $1000 (prob more after getting a deal done) and going for the updated V series?

When is the updated V series ment to be released anyway?

and does the updated V series come with a GAME mode? to turn off any image enhancement features which cause lag in video games?

Why the Sharp bashing? They are now the only Japanese LCD left, and have always had a good picture and even better reputation from the service technicians I speak to.

If anyone bought a tv from my store and it was away for service longer than 6 weeks we would work out a replacement tv and the store would claim it. It's happened many times in the past. If you buy from a retailor, get a dud, and they don't give a sh!t, DON'T BUY FROM THEEM AGAIN. Any product can be faulty.

We bought a new car and had a dud fuel pump 6 months later requiring a tow to the dealership. Where we unhappy? No. The service was great and fixed that day.

If your in Victoria, I'll make it worth your while. Otherwise, I'm sure your local store will help you out.

Well I'm amazed by even low budget lcd makers replacing panels, here is my Sharp Story:

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtopic=37302&hl=

&

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtopic=39208&hl=

Personally I would not touch them with an unlimited foot barge pole :blink:, or even if they paid me to use their products.

Hey boys I was looking at getting a 40" LCD.

So I was originally looking at the V Series

Now the new V Series is coming out

and now the X Series is coming out soonish..

Im going to be getting a PS3 on launch.

Is it worth getting the X series for 1080p (Gaming and Bluray) on a 40" screen? or will the difference between the 720p V series and 1080p X series at 40" be bearly noticable?

this is what Cnet said about the X series 40"

"You might expect the 1920-by-1080-pixel native resolution Sony to thoroughly trounce the other three 1366-by-768-pixel LCDs in the arena of detail, especially with a hypersharp disc like Swordfish, but that wasn't the case. From our seating distance of six feet, we had to really struggle to discern the difference in detail between the four sets. Yes, we saw it after awhile, mainly by staring at hair; when Stanley's ex-wife sleeps through her daughter's phone call, for example, we saw a bit more strands and highlights in her hair on the Sony than the other displays. Of course you'd be able to discern more of a difference on a larger screen; the Sony's 40-inch panel, like that of the 37-inch Sharp mentioned above, is simply too small to really show off the extra detail of 1080p. Speaking of 1080p, we hooked the KDL-40XBR2 up to the Samsung BD-P1000 and it handled that player's 1080p/60 signal fine, although the set could not accept the 1080p/24 output from our HDTV signal generator (we've encountered few TVs that can, and we don't consider this a big deal)."

so according to them the difference between a 720p display and 1080p display at 40" is not THAT noticable?

so is it maybe worth saving the extra $1000 (prob more after getting a deal done) and going for the updated V series?

When is the updated V series ment to be released anyway?

and does the updated V series come with a GAME mode? to turn off any image enhancement features which cause lag in video games?

The quality HD source I viewed (off a Sony DVR) looked better on the V Series than 1080i Mini DV camera footage shot around Melbourne / Sydney. Now thats probably to be expected.

Because the X Series was larger than the V Series in my demo, it was hard to tell if the X Series looked better or not. On 720p footage, there was nothing in it.

I am not a Sony fan in general, for me it's been Samsung LCDs that have walked out the door, but these new Sonys are extremely good and at just a $500 premium to Samsung, and much better looking with a quality sound system, these are the next hot AV product until Samsung and LG crucify the price point.

I wonder if Panasonic are missing not having a 40" LCD in their line up? They are losing $$$.

I got a call from Sony Central this morning that the new S series were in. I Just come back from the store where they are on on display in Sydney City with a HD feed. Looks preet good. Styliing looks much better

Gary - what happenned to MYer exclusive - Do you have them yet. You better let those buyers know mate, It seems that Sony may afterall care about retailers besides the number 2 (hu hum) in the market. Those buyers may be upset that Sony supplied Sony Central First

I got a call from Sony Central this morning that the new S series were in. I Just come back from the store where they are on on display in Sydney City with a HD feed. Looks preet good. Styliing looks much better

Did they have the new V series on display as well?

Looks preet good. Styliing looks much better

Anybody got a pic of the styling? I hate the current S series.

Intrigued what street prices of the V series 32" is going to be like in comparison to the Sammy 32" R series. I'm holding out till the new Sony V is released before I plunk down some cash on one or the other.

Anyone who is interested in what the new S looks like i assume this might be it.... ?

http://www.sony.co.nz/products/news.asp?article=1961

Bob

Just came back from Sony Central Chatswoo... They have the new S series in. There was a 40in S series next to the 40in (old) V series running the Sony promotional gumf.

It looks exactly like the one above (from NZ) The colours look richer (but I am not sure if they fiddled with it or not) and the listed price on the S was $3499. (Sorry walked by on the way home and realised it was 100 less that I quoted originally. Brain was still on the Hitachi I was looking at)

Still not sure which way I want to go yet...

Edit: Price

OK Here is the full report now that work Is over and I can give some detailed info

Sony central Had the S series in 26, 32 and 40 - on display with full HD feeds into them

PQ - not much noticeable improvement over the old S. They had the V very close to it and yes you could see the current V is still better than the new S

First and foremost - 100 points to Sony Central - The only store I ever go into and they have true HD feeds on every TV. I have never seen another retailer where you can acutally look at these things properly. They also have them all set up so at a touch of a button you can see them on FTA, FTA Digital, SD and HD, or on a DVD player or with their in house HD feed. I bet they sell heaps of TV's by beingable toshowpeoplethe difference, if not they must be selling lots of HD boxes at least.

Styling of the new S - in my opinion Good to Very Good. Some where in between. Definately an improvement over the old S. It has a dark grey frame rather then the Silver frame. The Stand is also slightly redesigned. Like a tappered Wedge. I think the black V series is still more visually pleasing

HDMI is on board. So is the S Master digital Amp for better sound, handed down from the V series. It has the new Bravia Engine.

Prices on the tickets where $1999, $2499, $3499. These were SRP's apparently. I didnt ask for any better pricing. Note the runout V40 next to it was $3699 and the V32 $2699 and you get a free James Bond box set of all the 007 movies

So anyway - after contempleting a second set, ( I already own one V40) I decided to take the plunge and get a second V40 from them.

I purchased one back in November from them and paid $5500 for V40, a HDMI DVD player and DSTHD500

Today I paid $4000 for the V40 ($3500 on its own) and a basic home theatre (a davdz120) delivered. And I get my 20 jamesbond flicks. Im going to run this one in the rumpus with the old DSTHD500 I have from when I upgraded to the 900 PVR. Picked up the 5 yr warranty too for $200.

So I paid about $1500 less really than a year ago.

I dont think they are going to sell any of these new S while they are running out the old V at the same price, but maybe they are not expecting to.

Glenn I did give myer City store at least, an opportunity to get into this deal. I thought Since you alerted us to the new S I would at the bear minimum, give myer ago.

So I rang.

1) They didnt even know what the new "s" was (not a good start)

2) When asked if they could find out - no one had an answer

3) Asked about the runout V price - Was told $4799............er um...huh

4) I said I have $3500 from the Sony shop. Was told the Sony Central price was impossible. Cant do it. It must be a mistake.

5) Asked if they would check - they said they would call me back. Dept manager was out. - This was at 2.30 I said i wanted to buy today after left my office in the city.

6) no return call

7) Rang them back up 7pm

8) The salesdrone forgot who I was, then remembered, then tried to sell me a samsung.

9) I Asked why the samsung was better - answer :- Its newer and costs less. Are they trying to sell me something here or do Myer think customers are idiots. At least give me one good reason to ask more questions.

10) Sony Central - 8.30pm - Deal done. Being delivered saturday. I'm happy. Great deal, good service. Alls well in my world

Now Glenn, when you pass on all the info as you said you would to your buyers ect - be a good boy and tell them how Myer lost a sale because they dont know what they are talking about! Im sure those new owners changing things will be mighty impressed.

But dont fret too much - The Retravision store next to Sony central were just as clueless. Asking $4100 for the V40, running the worst DVD I have ever seem being used as a demo, in the wrong screen ratio too.

LMT

hey luvmytv,

can I ask which sony central store you went to?

i was tossing up the new 40in S series, or the old v series. the most important thing for me though is PC connectivity. do you know if both the abovementioned sets do it exactly the same way? I know the new S series should be able to do 1:1..

no worries if you have never tried it

:blink:

Dodgey (now mate you should really picka new handle - what would honest people think :blink: )

No I dont know about the PC thing - I use a small laptop and the TV's are purely for watching TV. Neverconnected a PC so I dont know.

I went to Sony Central in World Sqaure. I work on Pitt st across from them.

In my honest opinion - I buy an huge amount of electrical - every year. I like my toys and I like upgrading. Unit these guys opened a couple years ago I never experienced better advice or serivce. And to be honest its a pleasure shopping there. Its always is fresh, clean and pretty cool. Even just to waste time there's always something to play with. I cant stand going into other stores anymore and get hassled by sales people who dont know what they are on about, or just try to sell you for the sake of closing a sale.

Give them a go - but dont buy the new S - haggle them - You will get the V for the same price. Well I shoulndt say haggle - its not really a nice term in my opinion - just ask them nicely for a better deal or tell them what you would like to pay and offer them your business on the spot if they meet your price requests.

Thats what I did and they where more than happy to give me the deal

yeah, the "dodgey" nick kinda stuck because of my name, I'm used to the connotation of that nick these days. Anyway, prefer it more than ramjet :blink:

No worries about the PC thing. I might do a bit more research and check in with the shop. Unfortunately, I'm rarely in the city these days. (Work in Chatswood)

I have not started any negotiations with anyone as yet. Once I make up my mind, I'll go in and start seriously. Thanks for the feedback :D

I went to sony central world square today as well, asked about the new V, and they said, end of September and price to be $4,499. You guys generally reckon that if i offer to pay cash that the $4,499 is negotiable when it first comes out?

James