Dvi Settings For Pc Use On An Awa Lcd

tried the using the PC (AMD dual core 64bit CPU, 2 gig ram, 6800 GTX nvidia card) on my AWA LCD, thru DVI. have the problem of it always look terrible, or looks ultra crisp but only fills 85% screen then wraps the sceen again, so 2 start buttons !!, or another setting got it to 'over fill' the screen, so the start button on left handside is mostly of the screen, tried for hours to get a correct working combo to no avail. have the xbox 360 using vga mapped 1:1 @ 1366X768 and looks awesome not so lucky with the DVI connection. Someone must of done this and got it looking correct??...any settings you can share? (tried adjusting front/back porches but didnt have any slue as what i was doing, also gried powerstrip and didnt help either, the drivers for nvidia look sufficient if you have the correct info!!)....

tried the using the PC (AMD dual core 64bit CPU, 2 gig ram, 6800 GTX nvidia card) on my AWA LCD, thru DVI.

What does your AWA instruction book say are suitable settings for DVI? My plasma lists two suitable DVI modes. My computer couldn't output these without using Powerstrip. Using it the picture is perfect!

Have a look in the nVidia control panel, and see if you can select a 720p (or 1080i) mode for the resolution. This is what I had to do with my ATI card.

720p looks a little soft (1280 x 720), instead of the ideal 1366 x 768, plus it stretches the screen and you see only 80% of it.

VGA (1 only) used by xbox360.

Powerstrip may be good but not sure how to use it!?! nvidia has settings but thats a part of the issue not sure how to use it...

If your Nvidia control panel allows you to input "advanced timer settings" you could use the settings I gave as examples a few days back, for front porch etc.

I was trying to solve this same universal problem of gaining native resolution with member input but came to the conclusion it must be too hard for the average Joe.

I gave up, and am using the resolution suggested in my users manual for DVI of 1024 x 768, The display is crisp and does not overfill the screen, but my aspect ratio is wrong and images are fat.

I rang the Magnavox (Mistral) help line but they were of little help as I guess they think they sold me a TV rather than a computer monitor.

Maybe I need some software that corrects the aspect ratio before it gets to the display? Or use an image viewer and browser that enables you to correct the aspect ratio.

Here is copy of my old post:

Here are a couple of advanced timer settings I have tried:

Horizontal:

Front porch 48 Sync width 112

Back porch 248 sync rate 47.98

Polarity +

Front end active 1368

Vertical:

Front porch 1 sync width 3

Back porch 30 refresh rate 59.83

Sync polarity -

Back end active 768

And another:

Horizontal

FP 112 Sync 40

BP 216 scan rate 47.83

Pol +

Front end 1366

Vertical

FP 5 Sync 5

BP 20 Refresh rate 59.942

sync +

Active front end 768

I am usng a Magnavox LCD, but this is such a common panel resolution that the settings must be of interest to heaps of people wishing to view computer text on their displays.

On my Magnavox LCD I can only input VGA custom resolutions but others report they can do it in DVI, Also when I use DVI the Aspect ratio of photos and videos is squashed. And screens are usually pan and scan.

So I am seeking a better set up in VGA

thanks will give it ago....

If your Nvidia control panel allows you to input "advanced timer settings" you could use the settings I gave as examples a few days back, for front porch etc.

I was trying to solve this same universal problem of gaining native resolution with member input but came to the conclusion it must be too hard for the average Joe.

I gave up, and am using the resolution suggested in my users manual for DVI of 1024 x 768, The display is crisp and does not overfill the screen, but my aspect ratio is wrong and images are fat.

I rang the Magnavox (Mistral) help line but they were of little help as I guess they think they sold me a TV rather than a computer monitor.

Maybe I need some software that corrects the aspect ratio before it gets to the display? Or use an image viewer and browser that enables you to correct the aspect ratio.

Here is copy of my old post:

Here are a couple of advanced timer settings I have tried:

Horizontal:

Front porch 48 Sync width 112

Back porch 248 sync rate 47.98

Polarity +

Front end active 1368

Vertical:

Front porch 1 sync width 3

Back porch 30 refresh rate 59.83

Sync polarity -

Back end active 768

And another:

Horizontal

FP 112 Sync 40

BP 216 scan rate 47.83

Pol +

Front end 1366

Vertical

FP 5 Sync 5

BP 20 Refresh rate 59.942

sync +

Active front end 768

I am usng a Magnavox LCD, but this is such a common panel resolution that the settings must be of interest to heaps of people wishing to view computer text on their displays.

On my Magnavox LCD I can only input VGA custom resolutions but others report they can do it in DVI, Also when I use DVI the Aspect ratio of photos and videos is squashed. And screens are usually pan and scan.

So I am seeking a better set up in VGA

Thanks jakieblak.

VLC is good. I use it all the time, but even the 5:4 setting does not fill the screen in DVI mode when playing back material recorded on the PC, but the video is correct when using the Dvico software from the PC's tuner card. I would like to use DVRview which goes with the Webscheduler program, but I can not get it to go past its initial screen.

The aspect ratio of video is not really a problem as these LCD TVs just scale the screen to its native resolution (1366 x 768) it is more trying to use the LCD as a monitor when viewing photos and web pages using DVI that it is a pain.

kevk both thoe settings failed, screen totally scranmbled...

They both work for me using a VGA input into a 1366 x 768 Magnavox. Another user says the second lot of settings works for him with a 1:1 pixel mapping with a DVI input on the same display. The settings should not depend on what brand of panel you use as that is not how it works with standard control panel resolution settings.

I can not see the "advanced timing" button in the Nvidia settings when using the DVI input though. It only allows you to "add" a resolution. I am using a Nvidia GForce FX5200 video card, he was using a GeForce TI 4200 and I do not see why it would be different. I wonder if it gets better if you buy more recent video cards? A Radeon card would not work at all with the DVI input on my display.

I can not see why manufacturers are not solving this problem as the big LCD displays make terrific display monitors and I have ditched my 17" panels.

KevK