Sign in to follow this  
T800

70" Rptv Or Projector (92")

Hi,

Due to certain reasons im selling my house and in the process of looking for a builder for the new house, which ive found. Only negative is the Theater Room will only allow for 5.1 set-up due to the size.(and i can't increase the room size)

The room will be 4.5m long by 4.1m wide. Im going to put 4 recliners in this room.

Now my options are this.

1. Either go for a 70" 1080p RPTV (toshiba dlp one) and have a eyes to screen distance of about 3.4m (allowing 60cm for tv width and 50cm for head/headrest/space between couch and rear wall)

OR

2. Go for a 92" screen with a 1080p front projector (most likely new sony coming out) and have a eyes to screen distance of about 4.0m (allowing 50cm for head/headrest/space between couch and rear wall)

I probably would prefer the projector, but have a feeling it might be too close.

what are everyones else's opinion. ?

thanks

Hi,

Due to certain reasons im selling my house and in the process of looking for a builder for the new house, which ive found. Only negative is the Theater Room will only allow for 5.1 set-up due to the size.(and i can't increase the room size)

The room will be 4.5m long by 4.1m wide. Im going to put 4 recliners in this room.

Now my options are this.

1. Either go for a 70" 1080p RPTV (toshiba dlp one) and have a eyes to screen distance of about 3.4m (allowing 60cm for tv width and 50cm for head/headrest/space between couch and rear wall)

OR

2. Go for a 92" screen with a 1080p front projector (most likely new sony coming out) and have a eyes to screen distance of about 4.0m (allowing 50cm for head/headrest/space between couch and rear wall)

I probably would prefer the projector, but have a feeling it might be too close.

thanks

Get both :blink: - I use a 72" Toshi for regular viewing and an Acer PD-110 projetor +100" pull-down screen for the Saturday night flicks etc and sit 3.5 from the displays.

Stand by, Owen will be with you shortly......... :blink:

Hi,

Now my options are this.

OR

thanks

It depends on the content you'll be watching, too.

If its HD-DVDs, for example, with a bit of FTA HD, then either should be OK in terms of viewing distance.

If its DVDs, and or general FTA (ie, not too much HD), then the 92" image may be just a little larger than some would like on SD content, but you could get away with it.

Certainly for anything 1080i or 1080p, either system should be OK.

In terms of aesthetics, the pj would win, I'd think!

(Also, probably in terms of hassles if your Toshiba has problems, pj much easier to get fixed/replaced/etc!)

I assume the Sony you are talking about is the upcoming VPL-VW50 Pearl.

If you are prepared to wait for it, you will also have the option of the Sony SXRD 70”, which is basically a Pearl in a box, and should be available before the end of the year.

Personally, I think the 92” would be pushing it for SD content at 4 meters, but many people seem to find it acceptable. You can always shrink the image size for SD content.

I am not a great fan of front projected images, as they tend to look flat and washed out most of the time, and don’t normally have the pop, depth of image or blacks of a good RPTV.

It’s a tough call man, and I think it will pay you to wait until the Sony options are available to compare.

Yeah im leaning towards the PJ. All my viewing will be HD-DVD and xbox 360. Only thing i hate about projecotrs, is its not like a tv, where you can just turn it on for a quick game of xbox.

Dont know if a 72' RPTV will give me that 'theater' exprience i currently have with my projector now..

For me, a film theatre image is big, blurry, lacking in contrast, with poor blacks.

The only advantage is the size of the image, which certainly does have its worth.

Since you will be using mainly HD content, and I assume a fully light controlled viewing environment, the front projector would be very tempting, and I expect the Pearl would be a BIG step up from the AE700.

Yeah im leaning towards the PJ. All my viewing will be HD-DVD and xbox 360. Only thing i hate about projecotrs, is its not like a tv, where you can just turn it on for a quick game of xbox.

Dont know if a 72' RPTV will give me that 'theater' exprience i currently have with my projector now..

RPTVs are the same is pjs ... they are just "projectors in a box", so, apart from maybe making sure the room isn't too bright, there's no real difference... if you're worrying about bulb wear, it'll be a similar situation with either setup.

Ill have to start demoing soon. ll have to pull up a chair and sit at the above distances on each to see which i prefer.

I love my projector at the moment, butsince the room is going to be fairly small (4.5x4.1) the 72 might do the trick.

Thos ethat have the Tosh 72' , how far do you sit from it. Does it give that 'theater' experience still or is more the plasma experience :blink:

Ill have to start demoing soon. ll have to pull up a chair and sit at the above distances on each to see which i prefer.

I love my projector at the moment, butsince the room is going to be fairly small (4.5x4.1) the 72 might do the trick.

Thos ethat have the Tosh 72' , how far do you sit from it. Does it give that 'theater' experience still or is more the plasma experience :blink:

I sit about 3m away from my Tosh 72". I previously had a front projector, admittedly a Panasonic LCD projector, but although the size, colour and image quality on the screen was good, it was by no way comparable to the Tosh RPTV.

I for one prefer quality over quantity. I love the extremely sharp and lifelike images of the Toshiba. At 3 meters viewing distance, its very large. In my opinion, when the source quality is good (HDTV) you can sitter closer than 3m.

I would use a front projector for a large screen 150" for example. But I currently don't have the room for that. LOL.

Thanks for your input (ill have to start using spell checks since i type so fast !)

My room will be light controlled, so either one will do the job.

Does the 72' still give you that theater feel that the projector does at that distance or does it lose that feeling? Its hard to explain, but people that have projector set up know what i mean ! :blink: