Missing Edges On Bravia V 40" When Hooked Up To Computer

Hello,

I'm having problems seeing the edges of video when I play it on my Bravia V 40". It looks like as if it was zoomed in a bit and I'm missing about 1.25cm (1/2 an inch) on the top and bottom and 1.9cm (3/4 inch) on the sides; it's very annoying. It's as though the Display Area Setting (under Screen sub menu) was set to -2. (It's under normal right now; setting it to -2 makes it even worse.)

Doesn't matter what resolution it's in, it keeps cutting out the edges. The area 'lost' seems to be fixed regardless of resolution. (Of course it doesn't cut the sides out if it's in 4:3 res, but still cuts the top and bottom.)

I think it's inherent to the TV itself, but if it helps, the computer is running win XP x86 with a 7600GT (with a 19" LCD monitor attached as well, no problems with that monitor) using forceware 91.31 drivers. Powerstrip doesn't help. (Though I did finally manage to get it into 1360x768 resolution using Powerstrip though.) Hooked up via a DVI --> HDMI cable.

Anybody know how to fix this? It doesn't happen when I'm watching TV using the TV's own tuner and I'd rather stick to the chopped out edges than resort to VGA or component cabling.

Thank you for reading

Hello,

I'm having problems seeing the edges of video when I play it on my Bravia V 40". It looks like as if it was zoomed in a bit and I'm missing about 1.25cm (1/2 an inch) on the top and bottom and 1.9cm (3/4 inch) on the sides; it's very annoying. It's as though the Display Area Setting (under Screen sub menu) was set to -2. (It's under normal right now; setting it to -2 makes it even worse.)

Doesn't matter what resolution it's in, it keeps cutting out the edges. The area 'lost' seems to be fixed regardless of resolution. (Of course it doesn't cut the sides out if it's in 4:3 res, but still cuts the top and bottom.)

I think it's inherent to the TV itself, but if it helps, the computer is running win XP x86 with a 7600GT (with a 19" LCD monitor attached as well, no problems with that monitor) using forceware 91.31 drivers. Powerstrip doesn't help. (Though I did finally manage to get it into 1360x768 resolution using Powerstrip though.) Hooked up via a DVI --> HDMI cable.

Anybody know how to fix this? It doesn't happen when I'm watching TV using the TV's own tuner and I'd rather stick to the chopped out edges than resort to VGA or component cabling.

Thank you for reading

It's a widespread problem with TV displays called 'overscan'. The only solution is to reduce the display resolution coming out of your PC. There is an option on the Nvidia control panel called overscan correction. I can't remember exactly where, but if you look you will find it. You basically will get a image on your screen where you can increase or decrease the borders of the image to match your display device. The software will then calculate the resolution and add a 'custom' resolution and set that resolution as default. I have done this on my Toshiba RPTV and it works perfectly. Problem solved .. Kind of ..

:blink: Something so simple, yet I've never read about it before. Thank you very much! Words can not express the joy over something I've been fiddling with for the past three weeks and have had no success with.

It's a widespread problem with TV displays called 'overscan'. The only solution is to reduce the display resolution coming out of your PC. There is an option on the Nvidia control panel called overscan correction. I can't remember exactly where, but if you look you will find it. You basically will get a image on your screen where you can increase or decrease the borders of the image to match your display device. The software will then calculate the resolution and add a 'custom' resolution and set that resolution as default. I have done this on my Toshiba RPTV and it works perfectly. Problem solved .. Kind of ..

Does anyone know if there is over scan correction on the PLAYSTATION3? Or...

Does anyone know if the Sony Bravia X series can play 1080p 1:1 with no overscanning?

Is there something similar to this for Ati Radeon cards? I have a Radeon 9700 with catalyst installed

Powerstrip cant do this?

serrin: You said you were able to get 1360x768 working with PowerStrip....how? Can i get your settings please!!!!

Does anyone know if the Sony Bravia X series can play 1080p 1:1 with no overscanning?

According to this the Bravia x 46" has less than 1% overscan at 1080p.

Is there something similar to this for Ati Radeon cards? I have a Radeon 9700 with catalyst installed

Powerstrip cant do this?

serrin: You said you were able to get 1360x768 working with PowerStrip....how? Can i get your settings please!!!!

1360x768 was with overscan, when I tried underscanning it the forceware only lets me go 1176x664 (underscanned 720) and 1768x992 (underscanned 1080). As the TV would just downscale 1080, and it would only do 1080i anyway, I chose 1176x664. (Was this the right choice?) As for how to get 1360x768, this could only be done while powerstrip was installed (lol obviously) as the setting vanished after I uninstalled it. Merely inputting the back porch, front porch etc into nVidia control panel did not work after powerstrip was uninstalled.

Right click the powerstrip icon in the task bar --> display profiles --> configure --> select your monitor at the top (by pressing up and down on the top right, look at the resolutions if you can't tell) --> advanced timing options --> custom resolutions --> 1360x768 (PDP) worked for me, but you may have to try one of the others. Like I said, it had no underscan.

You might need to look around to activate underscan; search the catalyst driver release notes for overscan or underscan or google it. Chances are though you'll probably won't be able to get 1360x768 with underscan.

These were the settings, but simply entering them into nVidia Control Panel with powerstrip uninstalled didn't work:

Horizontal

Front porch: 64

Back porch: 256

Sync polarity: +

Front-end active: 1360

Sync width: 112

Back-end active: 1920

Vertical

Front porch: 3

Back porch: 18

Front-end active: 768

Sync width: 6

Refresh rate: 60.015

Back-end active: 540

That's not really 1360x768 is it? From the little I know it looks more like 1080i turned into 1360x768?

These were the settings, but simply entering them into nVidia Control Panel with powerstrip uninstalled didn't work:

Horizontal

Front porch: 64

Back porch: 256

Front-end active: 1360

Sync width: 112

Back-end active: 1920

Vertical

Front porch: 3

Back porch: 18

Front-end active: 768

Sync width: 6

Refresh rate: 60.015

Back-end active: 540

That's not really 1360x768 is it? From the little I know it looks more like 1080i turned into 1360x768?

Thanks for that... i no expert...so anything is worth a go... i can get these settings inputed into Catalyst...but i assume i will need PStrip running?

Ive got a $300 DVI-HDMI monster cable...currently when using HDMI (1280x720@60hz/50hz) the picture looks worse than when i run it off VGA @ 1366x768@60hz

So i am just assuming that being able to get a native resolution via HDMI will fix my problem..in terms of PQ....but then again ...even if i can get it to 1360x768... i will then need to fix overscan issue??

ARRRGGHHHH!!! :blink::D:P

CONFUSED ... Maybe should of got a LCD with DVI instead LOL...

Don't enter the configuration straight into catalyst; forceware didn't accept it without powerstrip. I used one of powerstrip's preconfigured resolutions. (Go into the powerstrip resolution configuration menu.) 1360x768 gave me overscan issues. PQ is no affected regardless of resolution on my TV is running at (even 720p stuff running at 1176x664, but it might be my TV, or my vision :S).

1:1 pixel matching is overated for movies in my opinion.

Don't enter the configuration straight into catalyst; forceware didn't accept it without powerstrip. I used one of powerstrip's preconfigured resolutions. (Go into the powerstrip resolution configuration menu.) 1360x768 gave me overscan issues. PQ is no affected regardless of resolution on my TV is running at (even 720p stuff running at 1176x664, but it might be my TV, or my vision :S).

1:1 pixel matching is overated for movies in my opinion.

Yeah i agree that 1:1 for movies might not be a big deal...because at 1366x768 or 1280x720

i dont see a difference when running movies etc

Just in PC mode..it looks a little "different" and overscan is a pain