Sign in to follow this  
keygar

Teac Lcd Brilliant

so has anyone managed to get 1980x1080 thru vga on a PC yet? im trying with a laptop but struggling like mad...

i can get 1980x1080i half on the screen... but thats it!

any help would be appreciated... by the way its currently hooked up to a radeon 200m chipset laptop

Thanks

Steve

ok so i got the magic 1920x1080.... thru vga.... using powerstrip starting with a custom res at 25hz.... a lot of patience and constantly resetting the screen!

im pretty sure a firmware fix could sort out the 1920x1080 @ 50 or 60hz...... so hurry up Teac! i need to get mine flashed anyway! hence its back in its box!

only issues were that i had a bit of fuzziness (probably the cable and the laptop output) and the output would only hold at 25 or 30hz refresh! video through mediaportal therefore looked awful and stuttered like mad... vmr needs 50hz i think

so dropped it back to 1360x768 until my htpc in the container arrives next week.... (seems like forever from the UK)

Thanks

Steve

Yeah i've been emailing service guys at TEAC and will follow up with a call today also. Dont wanna repack mine... my gf just wont understand :/ lol

With the firmware update, is it worth getting it done just for the fact that I am using the HDMI port to feed in HD from a STB? I know you guys want 1:1 pixel matching for HTPC, but will a difference also be seen jsut for HD FTA TV?

i cant really answer that question davep... i guess it really afects things when you are feeding a PC into the screen.... not sure how a set top box runs to be honest one thing i tend to notice is a few screen glitches at the resolution extremities... mainly on 10 there are a few dancing white dots at the bottom... but im sure they can be calibrated out on Mediaportal... but again.. i dont have a HD set top box so cant comment :blink:

i think ideally they need an option in the menu to allow/disable overscan for HDMI and they need to have to 50 / 60hz input on vga too... it really would be a winner then!

Thanks

Steve

They're *so* close to making a sensational panel... its a shame if they dont come through.

Here is a copy of the email I sent to TEAC (relating to X360 issues).

After speaking to you last Thursday, and briefly emailing you on Friday, I promised to take pictures of the issues. So here they are.

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q105/da...CS/IMG_0969.jpg

The normal look of the screen when I switch the X360 on through VGA

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q105/da..._normal_res.jpg

The resolution I run the X360 at, at the moment (revelaed by hitting "display" on the remote and also the fact that I select it in the X360 display settings menu.)

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q105/da...ecet_screen.jpg

the screen that allows you to select different resolutions for the X360. As you can see, on the left of the screen it shows the current reolsution at 1360x768.

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q105/da...ROR_MESSAGE.jpg

the message that comes up to the centre fo the screen when I select 1920x1080 resolution (as can be seen in the previous jpeg). After 10 seconds of not cofirming a resolution selection (through the X360), it automatically reverts to a lower resolution, which is displayed.

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q105/da...REEN_SELECT.jpg

this is the screen that allows you to select the desired resolution through component cables.

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q105/da...NER_MESSAGE.jpg

the message that comes up when I seelect 720p (revealed by pressing the "display button on the remote)

the message that comes up when I seelect 1080i (revealed by pressing the "display button on the remote)

the message that comes up when I press "display" on the remote after selecting "1080p" on the X360

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q105/da...50_OR_PAL60.jpg

the screen that allows you to cahnge the PAL settings. I have tried both settings to see if the 1080p works correctly (and also through with the VGA cables to try and get 1920x1080), but the results are the same.

I hope this helps solve the problem. I have been participating in the DTV forums thread

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtopic=40268

which is specifcally discussing the LCD4235A and I am not the only one with 1920x1080 issues. Although I havnt found anyone else to try it out with the X360 yet, however the results would be the same.

I am aware there was a firmware update released, specifically to target 1:1 pixel mapping through HDMI. Did this update also enable 1920x1080 through VGA, and proper 1080p through component?

I am thinking of buying this LCD TV. Hope TEAC will fix the issues of VGA and componet ports soon. BTW, what's the dot policy for TEAC LCD TVs?

No idea on dot policy. I found one pixel stuck on bright just before - not too bad, cant notice more than 1m away, and only noticable on pure black scenes. I honestly would hold off on buying this until we see if they fix the vga/component issues

No idea on dot policy. I found one pixel stuck on bright just before - not too bad, cant notice more than 1m away, and only noticable on pure black scenes.

Hmmm... Don't most LCD TVs on the market have zero bright dot policy? Bright dots are much more noticable than dark dots.

to be honest, being 1920x1080, it is unnoticable at over 1m (probably more like 50cm), but if they do have a zero bright dot polisy - i'll consider seriosuly a refund if they cant solve this VGA/component 1920x1080/1080p b/s

Thanks to all who have made this thread so good, especially AndyRoo and all his hard work.

Just got one of these 42" LCD's ordered thru The Good Guys in Maribyrnong, Melbourne for $2990. Had to find the right salesman and tell him how Retravision do same price.

JB were stuck at $3100, so they missed a sale.

Looking at the Strong SRT 5490 as my PVR.

As a noob I am still trying to work out if there is a good reason to buy a DVD recorder or would an up-scaling DVD player be enough on it's own? I think I have brain overload and I can't work out if the PVR negates the need for a DVD recorder or not.

Please help!!

As a noob I am still trying to work out if there is a good reason to buy a DVD recorder or would an up-scaling DVD player be enough on it's own? I think I have brain overload and I can't work out if the PVR negates the need for a DVD recorder or not.

Please help!!

It depends on just what you want to do...

A PVR gives you all the timeshifting capabilities you could want and makes watching tv a great experiences again. (Don't need to drop everything a 7:30 to watch a show, just start watching when you're ready) Your need for a DVD recorder will come down to whether you will be wanting to save things that you record with the PVR, and whether you'd be happy enough doing so via a PC. A PVR like the Mediastar 920 has a USB2 output which allows for the shows to be copied to a PC and burnt to discs/converted etc. However that has the downside of requiring time to convert the video etc.

A DVD recorder would only be able to record from the analogue output from the PVR (or there are some PVRs with a Hard drive and DVD recorder now, for whole lot of money), but should be a painless and quick operation compared to doing it the PC route.

One thing to note that I've noticed now that I have a nice, large display (the 32" TEAC) I notice the fact that my DVD player does not produce progressive scan PAL video (only NTSC :blink: ), as such I'm now in the market for a nice progressive scan DVD player that does a really nice job with PAL. I've been using this as a guide http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/cgi-bin/shootout.cgi as to what DVD players do good progressive scan.

It's the drawback of having a great display like this, it shows the flaws in your other components. :D

I was going to buy this tv, but no 1080P with my xbox360 even thru component. May as well get a 1080i set then.

hbk (love the name) .. I'm loaning TEAC my X360 console this morning for about a week to try and aid them getting a firmware fix out. Dont give up hope *just* yet.

hbk (love the name) .. I'm loaning TEAC my X360 console this morning for about a week to try and aid them getting a firmware fix out. Dont give up hope *just* yet.

Wow! I've got to say that's pretty damn good customer support right there. I would have expected them to just go 'Eh, doesn't work, whatcha going to do about it?' (In those exact words and everything). But going to those lengths... bravo Teac, bravo.

On a slightly different note, I've been playing with the service menu a bit, and along with internet research am starting to work out what all the options do... some interesting stuff. Would anyone be interested in a write up?

Yeah, I've been pretty impressed with their efforts - I am trying to work with them as much as I can. A guy came and picked up my X360 this morning and took it away to test up. He also had the new PVR in his car... mmmmmm.... $999 though ... but mmmm... so many features..... do I still want a gf... mmmmm

Anyway, hopefully they can come up with a fix. This is my only sticking point before going full ball recommending this panel to others (especially those wanting it for X360 play).

I would be very interested in the service menu writeup when you have time.

I was going to buy this tv, but no 1080P with my xbox360 even thru component. May as well get a 1080i set then.

HBK what 1080i panel can you buy for this money? real 1080i i mean... the way teac have been reacting to service issues i'd give it a few weeks... and they should have a fix... it didnt take too long for the 1:1 thru hdmi fix...

Thanks

Steve

On a slightly different note, I've been playing with the service menu a bit, and along with internet research am starting to work out what all the options do... some interesting stuff. Would anyone be interested in a write up?

I'd be interested! I'm looking at getting a LCD3735A in the next couple of weeks.

Sorry Im a lil bit of noob to all this. What actually is 1:1 HDMI fix?, also do I need it if Im just going to be using it as a tv and for xbox 360 not for my pc. Also I read earlyer there is alot of Overscan Im not to sure what that is either soz for being stupid hehe.

Also I read earlyer there is alot of Overscan Im not to sure what that is either soz for being stupid hehe.

Wikipedia definition of overscan.

Overscan is extra image area around the four edges of a video image that is not normally seen by the viewer. It exists because TV sets in the 1930's through 1970s were highly variable in how the video image was framed within the CRT. More from Wikipedia here.

For use as a PC monitor the affects are negative. Taskbars and icons are partially (or fully) hidden behind the bezel and 1:1 pixel mapping is lost and consequently you are displaying an image on the LCD display at a non-native resolution. Custom resolutions slightly below native can overcome the overscan, but will not restore 1:1 pixel mapping.

The effect of overscan on video has been the subject of vigerous debate, but overall it is not as significant as for desktop applications.

There is a discussion on overscan here.

So if I hook this tv up to my HD stb (toppy) thru HDMI and my dvd player thru component. And wanna use 1080p max resolution am I going to suffer from this overscan?

The thing about TV, even digital TV is that a small amount of overscan doesnt really matter - you cant really tell if its there or not. When plugging in a PC through HDMI, its more noticeable as the start/menu bar becomes slightly off the screen.

I have my HD STB plugged in through HDMI and I couldnt tell you how much overscan there is. I havnt had the latest firmware update yet - although I will probably get it just as a matter of course.

Not sure how much overscan there is on other ports.

Is there a setting to turn on/off the overscan in service menu?

Does your HD STB upscale the image to 1080p, if so how does it look. Also if I was to buy this set how easy is it to get firmware upgrade?