Sign in to follow this  
keygar

Teac Lcd Brilliant

Cool, thanks for the info. I just upgraded and found there is a new 1080p setting for HDTV in the latest dashboard :blink: Could you try the component port to see if it accept the 1080p signal from Xbox 360?

This is a copy/paste from another thread that I wrote:

The Bravia X wont display 1920x1080 through VGA, as is *my* understanding. I'm in the same boat with my 42" TEAC 1920x1080 panel.

I just tried hooking up the component cables again, as I run VGA cables normally, and I was able to successfully select the "1080p" option. However, when I pressed the "display" button (which says what resolution is being inputted to the panel), instead of saying "1080p" it said "960x1080" ... weird. Pic looked tops though, would just like to know why it didnt say "1080p"

The *other* thing I have noticed when selecting any 720p/1080i/p is that it changes to 50Hz and asks if I want to keep it at 50Hz. I said "no" and it works fine too.

I have also emailed TEAC (just through the service/support entry layout on the webpage, asking them to bring out a firmware update to allow 1920/1080 via VGA (the ONLY way to watch HD-DVD at a native resolution when the add-on comes out for the X360) and also what the 960x1080 means. No reply yet, but I only emailed last night.

I just tried hooking up the component cables again, as I run VGA cables normally, and I was able to successfully select the "1080p" option. However, when I pressed the "display" button (which says what resolution is being inputted to the panel), instead of saying "1080p" it said "960x1080" ... weird. Pic looked tops though, would just like to know why it didnt say "1080p

Did you get a better picture quality when you switched from 1080i to 1080p or from 720p to 1080p?

To be honest I didnt really have much time to test out each setting. I just plugged it in and tried. I need to d/l some 1080p wmv's to try and play. I did have the Chromehounds 720p trailer, which did look stunning, however I was more concerned about the 960x1080 message I was getting and wondering wtf it meant.

I am more hoping that a VGA firmware update will allow 1920x1080 so we can play HD DVD's in full res, rather than having them downscaled via component cables.

I am more hoping that a VGA firmware update will allow 1920x1080 so we can play HD DVD's in full res, rather than having them downscaled via component cables

They won't be downscaled via component will they? If you're refering to the stated intention for them to start blocking full res via any analogue output then that would include VGA as well... HDMI will be the only option. But they've also stated they won't be implementing that for some years. (And they never should as far as I'm concerned)

VGA is exempt from copyright laws, being a PC-based connection and therefore can legally output 1920x1080 playing HD-DVD, which is the only way to get non-downscaled feed from the HD DVD add-on for the X360. The component one will be downscaled to either 1080i or 720p. I will find a source for this info when I have a few mins.

edit: linky

http://forum.teamxbox.com/showthread.php?t=477767

VGA is exempt from copyright laws, being a PC-based connection and therefore can legally output 1920x1080 playing HD-DVD, which is the only way to get non-downscaled feed from the HD DVD add-on for the X360. The component one will be downscaled to either 1080i or 720p. I will find a source for this info when I have a few mins.

Huh... there you go I did not know that, although from that very article:

A: With HD DVD, 1080i and 1080p will likely look exactly the same on your 1080p HDTV. Most modern 1080p HDTVs can deinterlace 1080i to 1080p, and they use a sequence known as Inverse Telecine to reconstruct a 1080p frame from 1080i output without quality loss. What this means is that you will most likely be able to run 1080i Component to your 1080p HDTV and get full 1080p quality. Therefore, in most cases you will not have to worry about using the VGA output for HD DVD. Even cheaper new flatpanels support Inverse Telecine like the Toshiba REGZA series.

So is it chasing a quality difference that isn't really there?

Maybe an email to TEAC asking about this "Inverse Telecine" might be needed. But still, its a matters of.. pardon my french... but 'pissing rights' almost. Having a 1080p tv, I want to play 1080p. Of course, this is no issue if I bought a stand alone HD DVD player, or PS3 (ugh), which would have HDMI output anyway... The X360 just frustrates me sometimes with some of its design.... flaws.

Maybe an email to TEAC asking about this "Inverse Telecine" might be needed. But still, its a matters of.. pardon my french... but 'pissing rights' almost. Having a 1080p tv, I want to play 1080p. Of course, this is no issue if I bought a stand alone HD DVD player, or PS3 (ugh), which would have HDMI output anyway... The X360 just frustrates me sometimes with some of its design.... flaws.

I have inadvertantly actually already asked them about this. As mentioned previously in this thread I discovered that having my DVD player output Progessive via component resulted in a juttery image. Switched it back to interlaced and ended up with a smooth image.

I've emailed them about it to find out what the set is doing on that front. If you look in the service menu though it mentions 'film mode' for PAL and NTSC in there, so I think it does indeed have the deinterlacer built in.

Aus DVD's should be encoded for PAL anyways, might shoot them off a more specific email. How did you contact them? Just through the web based feedback, or do you have a more direct approach?

Aus DVD's should be encoded for PAL anyways, might shoot them off a more specific email. How did you contact them? Just through the web based feedback, or do you have a more direct approach?

just web based form, no reply as yet to that query.

To be honest I didnt really have much time to test out each setting. I just plugged it in and tried. I need to d/l some 1080p wmv's to try and play. I did have the Chromehounds 720p trailer, which did look stunning, however I was more concerned about the 960x1080 message I was getting and wondering wtf it meant.

Did you see picture quality improved for the games?

Well the TEAC manual kind of contradicts itself. Under the general specs table, it doesnt state 1080p as a resolution. However, a page or two prior, under the table for the selectable resoltuions for VGA (ARGH), it shows the ones for component, and it *Does* have 1080p.

As I said before, I havnt really had a chance at all to test out what it looks like with 1080p selected, I *really* want to find out what the 960x1080 message means when I select "1080p" from the dash, then hit "display" on the remote. All other settings 720p/1080i shows corresponding 720p/1080i messages when I push "display" on the remote.

Just spoke to a guy from TEAC service centre - very helpful. Probably a lot quicker than wiating for a reply email :blink:

He stated that 1920x1080 IS possible through the VGA connection and he himself has been able to do so (with a PC (mac), untested with an X360, however my efforts so far have been in vain).

1080p is also possible through the component inputs, and he has nfi essentially what the 960x1080 message means, other than it might be saying that that's the input signal - which kind of doesnt make sense.

Anyway, I will be testing again tonight and will be getting back to him tomorrow with results.

Just spoke to a guy from TEAC service centre - very helpful. Probably a lot quicker than wiating for a reply email :blink:

He stated that 1920x1080 IS possible through the VGA connection and he himself has been able to do so (with a PC (mac), untested with an X360, however my efforts so far have been in vain).

1080p is also possible through the component inputs, and he has nfi essentially what the 960x1080 message means, other than it might be saying that that's the input signal - which kind of doesnt make sense.

Anyway, I will be testing again tonight and will be getting back to him tomorrow with results.

Thanks. Hope these problems can be fixed by firmware upgrade.

VGA is not 'exempt from copyright laws', and nor is it exempt from the effects of the Image Constraint Token, being an analog format. If the movie studios choose to set the flag to cover VGA, then that means the image will be downscaled just like it would with component.

More.

Fine, if you wanna work in future theories, in the future VGA might be incorporated into ICP, but right now, its not.

Fine, if you wanna work in future theories, in the future VGA might be incorporated into ICP, but right now, its not.

It's ICT... My main concern was your implication that outputting 1080p over a VGA analog connection's a permanent feature of the technology because it's 'legal'. I was merely pointing out that this ability is, and will always be, on shaky ground courtesy of the ICT...

Just for those who were interested (if any), the issues with DVD playback for me would seem to be born from my Pioneer DVD player (DV 466) actually only doing progressive scan for NTSC and actually converting PAL to NTSC to output progressive... hence the juddering. :blink:

So I need a new DVD player now.

Preferably an upscaling one, and while I'm at it one that does DivX too. Anyone know of a good one for not too much dosh?

Pioneer DV-696 or Panasonic S-97 are the pick of the sensibly priced upscaling players...

The X360 will upscale regular DVD's through VGA, or output at 480p through component, if you have one.

In my continued attempts to get a really good display from DVD without spending more money (thanks guys for the tips on good upscaling DVD players) I've just been thinking about what's at fault here.

Now I know that the DVD player doesn't really do PAL progressive :blink: I have left it set to Interlaced via component. This then leaves the deinterlacing up to the TV does it not? So I'm left with the assumption that the TEAC 32" does a great job of upscaling, as on that front it looks really great, but that it's pretty average at deinterlacing as the DVDs get a kind of 'blur' going on, and it's not due to response time as the other inputs (the PVR and the PC) look great.

Does anyone else have an interlaced signal going into one of these and have similar issues, or has ways of getting around it other than buying a new DVD player?

the new Good Guys in Nunawading (in the same complex as the new super JB) have the 42" ticketed at $3099 opening special, didn't get to ask a cash price, but that's at least a few hundred cheaper than JB anyway

Hi Guys

well i have recieved my tv and what can i say but wow!

the analogue tuner is.. well... analogue! and the reception where we are isnt exactly great... however hook it up to my laptop, plug it into VGA (as this is all the laptop has) and set the resolution to something like 1280x1024 (not had chance to play and get it higher) and it looks ok... not as good as it would native but i expected that.....

the nice thing is that when i fire Mediaportal up and get the DVB-T running... the picture considering its SD is pretty bloody good... far far better than what i had seen them running in Retravision.... certainly far better than i was expecting! which is nice......

anyway it needs to go get the firmware sorted as it came with the old stuff... any news on getting 1980x1080 thru vga? another firmware of should i wait a week?

Thanks

Steve

I have had no luck getting 1920x1080 working through VGA - trying both the MS VGA cable and the Joytech one.

The service guy I spoke to said 1920x1080 should be no problem through VGA though - so i will ring and abuse on monday :blink:

With the firmware update, I have no idea what mine is - how do I check? And regarding the HDMI 1:1 pixel mapping one - is it worth updating to this firmware, considering I am using the HDMi port to run a HD STB, is some overscan needed for digital FTA, or would the new firmware make things betterer?

I have had no luck getting 1920x1080 working through VGA - trying both the MS VGA cable and the Joytech one.

The service guy I spoke to said 1920x1080 should be no problem through VGA though - so i will ring and abuse on monday :blink:

Did you try it with XBox360 or PC?