Teac Lcd Brilliant

Guest SpaceFrog

Hi guys, sorry for digging up an old thread. But I thought I'd let you guys know about a fault which is occurring on both of my TEAC 37" LCD TV's

On the right hand side of the screen, I've got this wavy dark patch. It's most visible on grey, blue colours (such as the TEAC startup screen). You will definately see it on a white background, but it's most visible on blue and greys.

I assumed it was screen burn from watching 4:3 TV shows. And I noticed it wouldn't go away (i get screen burn from using windows on it all the time, only lasts 24 hours). It happened on the lounge room one first and it was very dark. Dad told me it might have happened because of the way he cleaned it. Was pretty upset, but not that bothered, because I don't use the lounge room TV much.

And then last week I noticed that my black patch was getting bigger, it had overstepped the 4:3 black bar boundary!! And I checked the Lounge room TV today and it's taking up a 3rd of the screen!!!

Here is a pic

DSC03606-medium.jpg

Anyways, If you touch the top of the TV, you'll notice the right is warmer than the left. And looking through the rear vents, you can see some circuit boards mounted on the right. So I'm guessing it's some components overheating causing this problem.

I'm glad I checked this forum, because I was unaware of the 3 year warranty. I'll give them a call on my day off.

I thought I'd just post this to see if any1else was having the same problem.

EDIT: image tag not working??

copy and paste for pic

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t108/sp...3606-medium.jpg

Edited by SpaceFrog

• Replies 585
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hey spacefrog

I've got problems with my 42" Teac as well, although different to what you've described. My set has always had some degree of banding, but it has grown progressively worse as time goes on, so much so that the right hand side of the screen is now much darker than the left. This is accentuated by a very thin (and very annoying) dark row of pixels about 2 pixels wide that runs vertically down the very middle of the screen. It started out as faint about 8 months ago and only I could see it during low contrast backgrounds (like the sky or watching golf), but now it is much more evident through a lot of viewing. Using a calibration DVD that has a greyscale test on it shows the banding at it's worst, I'll try get around to taking some pics.

As I said though, quite different to yours! I'm looking to upgrade to a Panasonic G10 or V10 in a few months anyway but I'm planning on sending this in for repair soon. I don't see how either of our problems can be fixed - it seems the panels themselves have had it, unless yours could be replaced by something being done to the circuit board. It really looks like the pixels are smeared or something though.

Let me know your progress with the repair and I'll do the same. Hopefully Teac do the right thing.

Edited by belgavion

To be fair, they were decent 3 years ago for the price. Brilliant might have been pushing it.

It'd be interesting to know how many units out of this series of TVs are still going strong with zero problems

Haven't been stung by the TEAC lCD bug but had a 70cm CRT and VCR wich both gave up just after the one year warranty.

Skipping thru this post is seems they are still KRAP

All in all I wouldn't touch another TEAC product if they were giving them away.

Squiddles

To be fair, they were decent 3 years ago for the price. Brilliant might have been pushing it.

It'd be interesting to know how many units out of this series of TVs are still going strong with zero problems

42" still going, although it's been relegated to kitchen/family room area duties.

I certainly don't regret the purchase, its been a great workhorse for years.

I was idssapointed that it wouldnt take 1920x1080 from the 360 over VGA, but the 360 now is used in the games room, with a pj and 88" screen :)

42" still going, although it's been relegated to kitchen/family room area duties.

I certainly don't regret the purchase, its been a great workhorse for years.

I was idssapointed that it wouldnt take 1920x1080 from the 360 over VGA, but the 360 now is used in the games room, with a pj and 88" screen :)

Good to hear Dave. I remember seeing a 37" in one of the JB city stores running a 360 and PS3 all the time; it was still there last time I checked and that's 2+ years of god knows how many hours use day in and day out.

As mentioned in my last post and I think I PMed you about earlier in the year, the banding on my set has gotten much worse, which is a shame. I'm looking forward to an upgrade though so I can see what some decent blacks look like! The Teac was a decent starter HD set, despite its issues, but it's amazing how archaic it already is compared to what's available today.

Edited by belgavion

• 2 months later...

G'day guys... nearly 3 years on and guess what... I still love the TV but i am having one last issue!

The HDMI cable has been sat in there for 3 years nearly with the wire pulling the plug at an angle. Looks like one of the connections internally (solder joints) has failed so unless i push the hdmi cable toward the tv i get a cyan cast and then the signal drops out completely.

I have just called Teac and they are coming out friday to sort it out! If a TV has its final moment just short of its 3 year warranty i cannot complain! :)

I can say tho that apart from this its been great.. and considering how high end technology wise it was at the time (not compared to now obviously!) it was a great buy. It has been used solidly from my HTPC in that 3 years.

I'm sure it will get replaced sometime soon, but then it will get relagated to the games room where the WII can follow it!

Thanks

Steve

Edited by 5teve

G'day guys... nearly 3 years on and guess what... I still love the TV but i am having one last issue!

The HDMI cable has been sat in there for 3 years nearly with the wire pulling the plug at an angle. Looks like one of the connections internally (solder joints) has failed so unless i push the hdmi cable toward the tv i get a cyan cast and then the signal drops out completely.

I have just called Teac and they are coming out friday to sort it out! If a TV has its final moment just short of its 3 year warranty i cannot complain! :)

I can say tho that apart from this its been great.. and considering how high end technology wise it was at the time (not compared to now obviously!) it was a great buy. It has been used solidly from my HTPC in that 3 years.

I'm sure it will get replaced sometime soon, but then it will get relagated to the games room where the WII can follow it!

Thanks

Steve

My 4235A has the same problem - the HDMI socket no longer works at all. You're lucky if someone from Teac are coming to your home as I've been told I have to transport the set myself 50km to the nearest service center. Warranty runs out at the end of November and I also need the banding (which has gotten much worse lately and there's a really distinct vertical line right down the middle of the screen all the time on all inputs) looked at.

Finally replacing the Teac with a Panasonic 50" V10 tomorrow. Will be nice to watch a set where the whites don't burn my retinas and I can make out some kind of black detail! Even though it has needed to be repaired multiple times already within the warranty period I have a soft spot for this TV and it has served us (reasonably) well.

• 1 year later...

My TEAC turns 5 in a week or two - still performs flawlessly (touch wood, or maybe not (hehe upgrade)). Used mainly in the family room adjacent to the kitchen as a news/soapy/background noise tv whilst cooking/cleaning/internetting. Also gets some xbox 360 use. PQ is still great. Noticed that it probably take about 5 minutes for motion blur to settle down, but no big deal. Love it.