Teac Lcd Brilliant

I'll post up some pics of Apollo 13 on HD DVD... thats gotta have some black scene's in it :blink: havnt watched it yet.

King Kong was fine and that has a lot of dark jungle/dark gorilla/night bits. I wonder if the VGA would be any better, making use of the 0-16 range of black - anyway not gonna happen :D

Darks are better than on HD TV, but i'd wanna try a side by side comparison before saying how much. Plus my STB is plugged in via HDMI, with the HD DVD in through component - so there may be a difference there somehow.

• Replies 585
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most likely Teac will send you a refurbished unit, not the current model or even the old model (brand new).

And no, Panasonic support is not any better, believe me.

If they sent me a refurbished I wouldn't mind, beats the one I've currently had that'll probably die again.

I'm not arguing that Panasonic support is any better/worse, I'm just pretty sure that if I went that route I wouldn't have had the plasma sent off twice within 3 months

and Dave would love to see some HD-DVD pics whenever you've got time!

edit UPDATE - just found out that my set hasn't even been delivered to Teac yet. The courier company picked it up early Tues morning and for some reason haven't dropped it off yet. Wonderful. Not Teac's fault as they were expecting it by now, but I would have thought it could be delivered by now since it is within the same city.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a TEAC 3735A from JBHifi Chatswood last Saturday for A$1750 after bargaining and paying for it in cash.

However, the set i got do not have updated firmware and exhibit massive overscan issues on the HDMI input(which is connected to a MSI 7600GS with HDMI output).

I have to use the Nvidia underscan utility to reduce the resolution to 1808 x 1016 X 60Hz in order to see the whole desktop.

I contacted TEAC to arrange for a 1:1 HDMI firmware upgrade and was directed to a service provider. The service provider did not know anything about firmware upgrades and had to check with TEAC whether it was even possible.

The service provider got back to me and told me that they do not have the equipment to do the upgrade and that it is futile anyway since TEAC told them there isn't any firmware for the 3735A, the firmware is available only for the 4235A.

My question is - anyone with a 3735A manage to get a 1:1 HDMI firmware upgrade done. If yes, anyone from Sydney?

Btw, anyone got a PS3 and hooked it up to your TEAC tv(with or without the HDMI fix)? Do you get similar overscan issues?

A pity, the set is perfect except that it lacks 1:1 1080p on all its inputs but still for the price, it can't be beaten.

Edited by izsim

I have a TEAC 3233A 81cm LCD which is only 2.5 months old which died nearly 3 weeks ago (no picture or sound). I rang the local service provider today to see how things were progressing and he tells me he has ordered two new circuit boards with one having arrived and the other on backorder. How have people found Teac in relation to backordering parts for these LCD TV's?

I previously had a TEAC 68cm CRT TV which I sent into be repaired just outside of the warranty last year and gave up on getting it repaired after waiting over 3 months for Teac to get a part in on backorder (to which they never did in the end). I am hoping that this is not going to be the case in this instance.

After Teac's effort last time I stupidly gave them the beneift of the doubt and purchased another one of there TV's. It appears that they have not improved, much to my disappointment.

It is also somewhat disconcerning when even their own service agents say they have trouble getting onto Teac or getting a straight answer in relation to ETA's for parts.

I have a TEAC 3233A 81cm LCD which is only 2.5 months old which died nearly 3 weeks ago (no picture or sound).

Sorry to hear about this chooka. My set just arrived back today after the power supply dying 3 weeks ago for a second time. I've been told that if the same component fails again in the next 3 months I'll (finally) be eligible for a replacement or refund. I figured the other day that as of the 25th of Feb, out of the 90 days I've owned the TV it has been inoperable/at the repairers for 34 of them. Not great really is it.

If it takes your repair much longer I'd be attempting to contact Teac direct (or trying to bypass customer service) to find out what the hold-up is. There shouldn't be an extended wait on parts and you should be treated better since it is so new.

Sorry to hear about this chooka. My set just arrived back today after the power supply dying 3 weeks ago for a second time. I've been told that if the same component fails again in the next 3 months I'll (finally) be eligible for a replacement or refund. I figured the other day that as of the 25th of Feb, out of the 90 days I've owned the TV it has been inoperable/at the repairers for 34 of them. Not great really is it.

If it takes your repair much longer I'd be attempting to contact Teac direct (or trying to bypass customer service) to find out what the hold-up is. There shouldn't be an extended wait on parts and you should be treated better since it is so new.

Hi Guys

Mine is back.. firmware upgraded (which stil has a few issues) but all sorted... and done in pretty quick time.. delivered back to my door.

Service wise.. apart from actually having the same problem twice they have been pretty good... i have dealt with far worse companies. they have always been quick to respond, which they must be commended for.

The only difference is that in WA teac deal with everything themselves, not a 3rd party repair company. This is where i think things are going wrong. Teac seem good and if you manage to deal with them direct is reassuring, the problems happen, as unfortunately others are finding out, when service contractors are involved.

as far as firmware issues go.. i have noticed that 1:1 does happen when you go and make a chaneg to the factory settings, but if you turn the set of and on again its almost as tho the pixels have moved across one step. Huge improvement with hdmi via a pc over the previous firmware... but i feel still an issue or 2... maybe just the PC... but have a new one in progress so will be able to confirm then.

Thanks

Steve

as far as firmware issues go.. i have noticed that 1:1 does happen when you go and make a chaneg to the factory settings, but if you turn the set of and on again its almost as tho the pixels have moved across one step. Huge improvement with hdmi via a pc over the previous firmware... but i feel still an issue or 2... maybe just the PC... but have a new one in progress so will be able to confirm then.

can you explain this last bit some more?

can you explain this last bit some more?

if you mean have a new one in progres... sorry i rushed it a bit... i meant a new PC in progress! not a new firware... is that what you meant?

Thanks

Steve

as far as firmware issues go.. i have noticed that 1:1 does happen when you go and make a chaneg to the factory settings, but if you turn the set of and on again its almost as tho the pixels have moved across one step.

more this bit "i have noticed that 1:1 does happen when you go make a change to the factory settings"

Do you mean the VGA settings under the Display Menu?

Not sure what changes you are talking about, or where in the factory menu (or service menu?)

more this bit "i have noticed that 1:1 does happen when you go make a change to the factory settings"

Do you mean the VGA settings under the Display Menu?

Not sure what changes you are talking about, or where in the factory menu (or service menu?)

ok i'll try and be a bit clearer...

when you change the bottom setting in the service menu under factory settings then all the text sharpens up in windows. if you then turn the tv off and then on again the text appears to have a shadow almost as tho the whole screen has shifted over by 1 pixel or so and its not properly resolving it 1:1 its still a vast improvement over the previous firmware tho. to get the clarity back you have to go and repeat the service menu change. im not bothering changing it now as its livable... but im not convinced that it maybe something my pc is doing... hence i'll wait until the new one is built to get this confirmed.

Hopefully thats a bit clearer? im connecting from dvi to hdmi

Thanks

steve

I think the setting you are reffering to is "Peaking" . I posted up about the effect of reducing this to zero earlier in this thread, and yep, it seems to reduce a shadow effect greatly. I think I got mine to save the settings, I think you need to hit "menu" after you adjust settings, to get back into the standard menu, then exit... i think :blink:

I think the setting you are reffering to is "Peaking" . I posted up about the effect of reducing this to zero earlier in this thread, and yep, it seems to reduce a shadow effect greatly. I think I got mine to save the settings, I think you need to hit "menu" after you adjust settings, to get back into the standard menu, then exit... i think :blink:

yep did that... and it seems to save it... but the effect comes back... after switching on.. even if you increase peaking the shadow dissapears... its almost as tho the screen auto adjusts after setting a setting, but not when you switch it on...

Thanks

Steve

Could you have a "zoom" setting on? Try setting to "normal" or whatever to no zoom setting is.

The only adjustments I see the screen making is when changing inputs.

nope its on normal... like i say i need to investigate it a bit more... work has been taking up too much time... will have a good look when i get the new pc sorted.

Thanks

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Two full weeks and mine has continued to work without another breakdown. I'm feelin' lucky!

I saw the JB store on Bourke St had a 3735A set up with a PS3. People were playing Motorstorm(sp?) on it. Don't know what the res was set to but it looked phenomenal on this screen

Two full weeks and mine has continued to work without another breakdown. I'm feelin' lucky!

I saw the JB store on Bourke St had a 3735A set up with a PS3. People were playing Motorstorm(sp?) on it. Don't know what the res was set to but it looked phenomenal on this screen

You have now given me something to do at lunctime today... go and see the PS3 :blink:

• 2 weeks later...
You have now given me something to do at lunctime today... go and see the PS3 :blink:

Hi there, does anyone know if they have resolved all these issues with the 42" 180p lcd, i am about to buy one from jb hifi. got him down to $2796 which he says is $30 below cost. i asked him about the upscaling issues and all that and he rang teac headquarters and they said that the is no issues with that tv. Whether this means no issues anymore i'm not sure... i tried to ask him to ask them if the firmware has been upgraded but he forgot. but anywayz, twould be good if someone could please clarify this.

P.S. cheers for everyones input into this and the other forum (http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtopic=40268&st=40) but my internet has been shaped and taking forever to read every page of both. But you's guys have done more than enough for everyone out there looking at this tv.

Hi there, does anyone know if they have resolved all these issues with the 42" 180p lcd, i am about to buy one from jb hifi. got him down to $2796 which he says is $30 below cost. i asked him about the upscaling issues and all that and he rang teac headquarters and they said that the is no issues with that tv. Whether this means no issues anymore i'm not sure... i tried to ask him to ask them if the firmware has been upgraded but he forgot. but anywayz, twould be good if someone could please clarify this.

P.S. cheers for everyones input into this and the other forum (http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtopic=40268&st=540&gopid=624203entry624203) but my internet has been shaped and taking forever to read every page of both. But you's guys have done more than enough for everyone out there looking at this tv.

P.S. cheers for everyones input into this and the other forum (http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtopic=40268&st=540&gopid=624203entry624203) but my internet has been shaped and taking forever to read every page of both. But you's guys have done more than enough for everyone out there looking at this tv.

There has been no firmware upgrade for several months. The update that purchasers in this thread discuss earlier on was (presumably) the last once since Teac no longer produce the 4235A.

If you're going to go ahead with the purchase and are paying cash I'd be wanting much lower than $2796. Is it a display model or do they have a new one boxed? Not many retailers would still have new ones since they would not have been able to order any since Nov.

I wouldn't go over $2500 for this one. In hindsight, after all the troubles I've had, I would just opt for something completely different. That said it is still a nice set when it's working

There has been no firmware upgrade for several months. The update that purchasers in this thread discuss earlier on was (presumably) the last once since Teac no longer produce the 4235A.

If you're going to go ahead with the purchase and are paying cash I'd be wanting much lower than $2796. Is it a display model or do they have a new one boxed? Not many retailers would still have new ones since they would not have been able to order any since Nov.

I wouldn't go over $2500 for this one. In hindsight, after all the troubles I've had, I would just opt for something completely different. That said it is still a nice set when it's working

Hey cheers for the reply,

It is not a display model, they have one left out the back boxed and all, he said the only thing he can offer is a 5 year warranty, but couldn't drop the price... the 5 warranty sounds alright... he (salesman) said if i have any probs with playing 1080p stuff through any ports to bring it back or talk to him and he will get it sorted out for me... there isn't much full HD stuff out at a low price like this atm is there?!? I'm also getting like 500 bucks off everything else so its sorta making up for the price as well.. aarghh.. decisions decisions!!!

bladerscumm

Is there any particular reason why you are after 1080p and at what distance will you be seated from the TV ?

I purchased one of these in November for $2700 but returned it about two weeks later for reasons outlined earlier in this thread.

bladerscumm

Is there any particular reason why you are after 1080p and at what distance will you be seated from the TV ?

I purchased one of these in November for $2700 but returned it about two weeks later for reasons outlined earlier in this thread.

hey mate, i just thought to have 1080p ready for hd-dvd would be good because im not going to have that sorta money for a tv for a long while, i will be buying an x360 to use on it and prob hd-dvd addon drive... i was originally going to get just a 720 lcd but saw that... i just thought higher res is better... but if you recommend otherwise i will prob just get a non 1080 one then. . that way i will save $200 on tv plus $280 on a hd tuner...

if i decide not to i will be tossing up between a samsung 40" inbuil tuner and an lg 42" inbuilt tuner. Which of the 2 would you recommend for playing games on, or just alround??

Cheers.

if i decide not to i will be tossing up between a samsung 40" inbuil tuner and an lg 42" inbuilt tuner. Which of the 2 would you recommend for playing games on, or just alround??

Cheers.

Unfortunately there are no simple answers.

A read of the "Viewing Distance Calibration Results" thread pinned at the top of the HDTV main page will help you determine whether a high definition (1280x720, 1366x768) or a full high definition (1920x1080) will suit your viewing distance. Unless you intend to sit very close to a 42" screen, it will be the former.

One option could be to buy the Xbox first and test various TV's instore with it.

Unfortunately there are no simple answers.

A read of the "Viewing Distance Calibration Results" thread pinned at the top of the HDTV main page will help you determine whether a high definition (1280x720, 1366x768) or a full high definition (1920x1080) will suit your viewing distance. Unless you intend to sit very close to a 42" screen, it will be the former.

One option could be to buy the Xbox first and test various TV's instore with it.

Cheers, yeah i knew it wouldn't be that simple, i will check out the thread and see. The samsung looks a little less jittery with sharper edges so considering i am gonna be fairly close (3-4 meters) that would seem like the better option. well good luck to me and thank you! who knows i might end up walking out with a DLP or something unexpected hah.

Laters

I'm sure you'd be pleased with how xbox 360 displays on this model. I haven't run it through VGA, just component, and it always looks stunning.

Honestly though man I wouldn't buy this TV for the price you mentioned above, 5 year warranty included or not. That's a nice gesture of them but not worth the extra money in my opinion. A few of us bought this TV all the way back in Oct/Nov for $2700 and I'd want to go a few hundred under that now if I were you, especially since it is a model that is no longer produced. There's much more available at this size in this price range than there was when I was looking last year.