Teac Lcd Brilliant

Did the service centre give you any indication of recognition of the problem, or just give the usual (for any centre) "wow, thats a new one"?

the service centre in melbourne said tht they had never heard of the problem... as they always do... but did comment they were a pretty reliable unit...

i dint bother asking the guys in perth... as i knew the person i was speaking too probably wouldnt know!

Thanks

Steve

• Replies 585
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

steve, you're getting someone directly from Teac to look at it and not another company? lucky if so. Didn't post about it here but I had a problem when I had my set returned a few weeks back after it was taken away to fix the power supply - it arrived with huge scuff marks on the screen that took a while to scrub off, wasn't just dust or fingerprints, plus there's a permanent graze/scratch mark in the middle of the screen. I called the company as soon as I got it back and they informed me that 'our condition report says it already had marks when it came in'. I knew they were covering themselves and could just make up what they wanted since they couldn't even be specific where the marks actually were, but a few days later I called, not mentioning the marks, and got one of their reception girls to mail me out a detailed sheet/invoice saying what work had been done and the condition report on that is blank. I'm writing a letter of complaint with pictures to Teac this week, not that it'll really do anything

Moral of the story - don't let anyone take the TV away for repairs unless absolutely necessary or you do your own condition report and get them to sign it before hand. Something I've now learnt.

Bummer about your sound but do you run audio through any separate speakers/amp anyway? Hopefully it is something that can be fixed on-site for you

steve, you're getting someone directly from Teac to look at it and not another company? lucky if so. Didn't post about it here but I had a problem when I had my set returned a few weeks back after it was taken away to fix the power supply - it arrived with huge scuff marks on the screen that took a while to scrub off, wasn't just dust or fingerprints, plus there's a permanent graze/scratch mark in the middle of the screen. I called the company as soon as I got it back and they informed me that 'our condition report says it already had marks when it came in'. I knew they were covering themselves and could just make up what they wanted since they couldn't even be specific where the marks actually were, but a few days later I called, not mentioning the marks, and got one of their reception girls to mail me out a detailed sheet/invoice saying what work had been done and the condition report on that is blank. I'm writing a letter of complaint with pictures to Teac this week, not that it'll really do anything

Moral of the story - don't let anyone take the TV away for repairs unless absolutely necessary or you do your own condition report and get them to sign it before hand. Something I've now learnt.

Bummer about your sound but do you run audio through any separate speakers/amp anyway? Hopefully it is something that can be fixed on-site for you

Sorry to hear that too! i'd nail them about that and demand a new set.. if the condition report says nothing, and they cannot find any evidence that there was scuff marks, then surely they dont have a leg to stand on!

im not sure if its someone from teac or not... but onsite is good for me, as shipping always causes problems.

i do run sound through a receiver but until i get everything set up properly and spend time training people in the house to use it.. they just use the tv sound for just day to day watching... my plan is a harmony.. but i need to sort out some extenders for the amp for zone 2 use first.. then i will choose...

good luck in your replacement mission...

i'll let you know what was wrong with it...

Steve

Sorry to hear that too! i'd nail them about that and demand a new set.. if the condition report says nothing, and they cannot find any evidence that there was scuff marks, then surely they dont have a leg to stand on!

You'd think that would be the right thing to do, but of course they'll deny deny over and over again and hope that I go away. The chances of a replacement, or even someone doing anything about it, are probably very slim. I'm lucky at least that it wasn't anything too major than a few scratches/scuffs, I have the feeling that even if a screwdriver was poked into the front of it I'd still get the same treatment.

I have tried several times to contact the repair company in question and speak to the person who told me (or made up) the condition report details when I first complained but whenever I call they are conveniently never available or in a meeting. Last time I called the reception girl told me 'yes they're here, I'll just get them, who's calling?', then when I said my name and job number I was put on hold and then, funnily enough, the person I want to speak to suddenly 'stepped out'.

I was actually happy with their service up until the set arrived back to me, they repaired it fast (within 5 days) and it is all good again as far as the power supply goes, but just not very happy recieving it back with marks on it that make it looks like it has had all sorts of things pushed up against it in the workshop.

Just one of the many reasons Teac should be taking care of warranty repair themselves and not an outside company

You'd think that would be the right thing to do, but of course they'll deny deny over and over again and hope that I go away. The chances of a replacement, or even someone doing anything about it, are probably very slim.

Whilst I can understand the ongoing issues with your TV can be very depressing, a defeatest attitude will not get you anywhere.

You have wisely obtained the evidence to support your claim that the unit was damaged during repair by the service agent.

When writing your letter to TEAC, make it clear that you will accept nothing less than a replacement unit. After the unit has been replaced, TEAC can then deal with the service agent as they see fit. It is then no longer your problem.

thanks for the encouraging words dr. I will pursue it but after all the wasted time spent trying to get something done about the sticker mark since day 1 (which is still there and exactly the same I might add) I don't place much faith in something being done about this, although the fact I got the evidence is something that'll drive me to push it.

The damage and how bad it is would probably come down to Teac's judgment anyhow, and I doubt they'd see it as something that warrants a replacement. The main scratch/grazed area I'm peeved about is not something you can see when the unit is on unless you look very closely, but the fact that it's there at all is unacceptable.

I suppose the best I can do is try and send in a letter and photographs along with a log of events. In the meantime I'll still try and talk to the repair company about it, since I'd like to hear their explanation of why I was lied to and then sent an official document that contradicts what they said. You'd think they'd have been smart enough to actually change or make-up the condition report directly after speaking to me.

I'm writing a letter of complaint with pictures to Teac this week, not that it'll really do anything

All I can say is just keep trying. I believe Teac will eventually replace the set, but it will take a long long time.

My Pana developed a major fault on the panel so the whole set has to be replaced. It has now been two weeks since the service agent lodged the claim to Pana and they still can't tell me what the progress is. All they said was it's being investigated.

All I can say is just keep trying. I believe Teac will eventually replace the set, but it will take a long long time.

My Pana developed a major fault on the panel so the whole set has to be replaced. It has now been two weeks since the service agent lodged the claim to Pana and they still can't tell me what the progress is. All they said was it's being investigated.

Well TV fixed... apparently a connection had fell out? god knows how as it hasnt been moved for a long while! least it was an easy fix... as far as the firmware goes... i still have to take it in to get that sorted.. as apparently they dont have the capability over in WA to flash it on site. bugger.... still i will drop in and wait as apparently they will do it while i wait (according to melbourne)

Thanks

Steve

well at least it was relatively easy then.. good result.. albeit irritating and shouldnt really have happened in the first place regardless.

The firmware update was easy for me, TEAC man came out with laptop, plugged into TV with some interface circuit thing mid-wire, 5 mins later (if that), done. Mine was done on-site as I was trying to help TEAC with another matter altogether, the x360 VGA issue (no 1920x1080) and they took my 360 off site for a week of testing (playing).

If it was an actual Teac tech that came to your house steve I don't see why they couldn't have done the update for you there, bit of a pain. At least the sound issue was easy fixed though, that's good.

If/when I get a firmware update done I'm not settling for anything less than someone coming and doing it on-site. As someone pointed out to me eariler (dave or drsmith, can't remember which), it is meant to do 1080p over component out of the box, at least according to their manual specs, so they can do it without charging me a service fee as well.

Overall I'm really sick of talking about my problems I've had with this TV (as I'm sure many of you are reading about them!). I must have used the term sticker mark about 400 times in this thread by now.

it really does just keep getting better.

Today my set does not even turn on, at all. Won't even go into stand-by. I started watching something for 5 mins and then it switched off by itself, came back on and made the same buzzing sound it made a few weeks back, then switched off again and is now dead. The new power supply, which was installed only a couple of weeks ago, looks to be completely gone. I don't even know whether to laugh or cry at this point.

What's going to happen when I call Teac in the morning? They'll say deal with the outsourced repair company, the one I've had all this trouble with. Fantastic.

Should I not be eligible for a replacement by now? What will it take.

it really does just keep getting better.

Today my set does not even turn on, at all. Won't even go into stand-by. I started watching something for 5 mins and then it switched off by itself. The new power supply, which was installed only a couple of weeks ago, looks to be completely gone. I don't even know whether to laugh or cry at this point.

What's going to happen when I call Teac in the morning? They'll say deal with the outsourced repair company, the one I've had all this trouble with. Fantastic.

Should I not be eligible for a replacement by now? What will it take.

If after the difficulties you have had with the last repairer TEAC insist on the same repairer, then it's time to seek some advice from the Fair Trading/Consumer Affairs body in your state.

There is some useful consumer information and web links for state consumer bodies here.

If after the difficulties you have had with the last repairer TEAC insist on the same repairer, then it's time to seek some advice from the Fair Trading/Consumer Affairs body in your state.

There is some useful consumer information and web links for state consumer bodies here.

Thanks mate. There is no way I am dealing with the same repair company, especially since I'm currently in a dispute with them! I'm going to adamant that the time has come for Teac, the actual company who manufactured this lemon, to do something about it themselves and not fobb me off to a repair company that have told me twice already they've never even seen or fixed one of these TVs before mine.

I'm taking things up with Consumer Affairs if I don't get a satisfactory response, and at this point I'm not settling for anything less than

A - a credit to the retailer

B - a replacement (which I don't think will happen since they don't make this model anymore, but then chances are they still may have some in a warehouse)

C - an actual Teac tech to come and look at it and then go from there

I'm not putting up with ridiculous waiting times either. Last time it took over a week for someone to even come and look at it (their office is in the same suburb as me) and then an extra 5 from when they carted it off and brought it back with marks all over it. This was after I'd already spoken to Teac and was told that the repair should have been done in-home as part of the in-home service aspect of the warranty. Over 2 full weeks for that repair and look what it got me - another power component failure only a couple of weeks later.

and just quickly regarding Consumer Rights

"Consumer and Business affairs will NOT do anything UNTIL you have put your request to the trader in writing, and have their reply in writing."

Does that mean I have to have written to JB Hi-Fi, who've already told me since before xmas it has nothing to do with them anymore, or Teac themselves in this case?

and just quickly regarding Consumer Rights

"Consumer and Business affairs will NOT do anything UNTIL you have put your request to the trader in writing, and have their reply in writing."

Does that mean I have to have written to JB Hi-Fi, who've already told me since before xmas it has nothing to do with them anymore, or Teac themselves in this case?

UPDATE!

Today I've made some progress, while not exactly what would be ideal (ie a replacement), it is at least better than how I've been treated beforehand. I managed to get through to the main Service Manager at Teac and plead my case. He is organising someone to pick the set up and be taken to the Teac workshop hopefully on Tues where his tech will figure it out. They plan on fixing it and giving it a run-in period of a few days to make sure nothing power-wise is going to go wrong. This manager also wants me to email him a full log of all the crap that has gone wrong with this TV thus far and the problems I've had with the outsourced repair company.

So it'll probably be a week or more before I get the set back here all fixed but I'm happy Teac have taken it upon themselves to do it in-house this time so I don't have to deal with the other company, who I don't want to deal with again.

Also the other bonus with it being taken into Teac is that I should get the firmware upgrade done as well, haven't asked yet but I can't see why it'd be a problem.

Faith in Teac slightly restored for now, let's hope the right thing is done from here on out

Faith in Teac slightly restored for now, let's hope the right thing is done from here on out

Your on the right track now.

Consumers who know about their rights are in a better position to negotiate a satisfactory outcome than those who are not and a satisfactory outcome negotiated by both parties is a far better outcome than trench warfare.

I found TEAC service from within to be very good so I suspect that if they can't fix it, they will offer a replacement or a refund.

If they offer the latter, take it and buy something better. :blink:

Your on the right track now.

Consumers who know about their rights are in a better position to negotiate a satisfactory outcome than those who are not and a satisfactory outcome negotiated by both parties is a far better outcome than trench warfare.

I found TEAC service from within to be very good so I suspect that if they can't fix it, they will offer a replacement or a refund.

If they offer the latter, take it and buy something better. :blink:

well its happened again... the sound has packed up again.... im now thinking its something a bit more sinister.. i seem to recall both times that i muted the TV and changed source... which im sure is what i did this morning, instantly killing the sound. we know the sound was working last night.. as we turned the av reciever off and turned the TV up... turned it on this morning.. and nothing! just a faint buzzing noise on channel change.. now to me.. that isnt a loose connection.

service is good again.. they are coming out tomorrow..

Thanks

Steve

dang Steve. Hopefully they don't have to take it but it is sounding like it could be more than a quick-fix problem at this point.

My 4235A lef the house for the 2nd time in its short existance today. Wasn't picked up by Teac but by someone from a regular courier company. Thank god I kept all that original packaging for the TV, that's all I can say. I remember when it was first delivered/purchased I almost asked the guy if he could take the rubbish away.

The service infrastructure in Perth seems to be quite different to Melbourne if you get a Teac guy and a Teac van come out to you there, they can't do that here at the moment. I'm happy at least they've taken it upon themselves to get a courier to bring it in though and they've been helpful/fast with my emails and phone calls so far. They could have fobbed me off to the outsourced company again but they didn't.

If the unit doesn't need to be replaced due to its various defects as is, they've agreed to do a firmware update while it is in there with whatever is the newest flash, I'm guessing the same as what davep and others have, which will be new to me still and allow 1080p with the xbox 360, albeit with a little overscan apparently.

Hopefully I'll see it in about a week in good order. I know they're planning on leaving it to run for a few days as a test so that'll mean it is away from me longer, but it is probably a good idea

dang Steve. Hopefully they don't have to take it but it is sounding like it could be more than a quick-fix problem at this point.

My 4235A lef the house for the 2nd time in its short existance today. Wasn't picked up by Teac but by someone from a regular courier company. Thank god I kept all that original packaging for the TV, that's all I can say. I remember when it was first delivered/purchased I almost asked the guy if he could take the rubbish away.

The service infrastructure in Perth seems to be quite different to Melbourne if you get a Teac guy and a Teac van come out to you there, they can't do that here at the moment. I'm happy at least they've taken it upon themselves to get a courier to bring it in though and they've been helpful/fast with my emails and phone calls so far. They could have fobbed me off to the outsourced company again but they didn't.

If the unit doesn't need to be replaced due to its various defects as is, they've agreed to do a firmware update while it is in there with whatever is the newest flash, I'm guessing the same as what davep and others have, which will be new to me still and allow 1080p with the xbox 360, albeit with a little overscan apparently.

Hopefully I'll see it in about a week in good order. I know they're planning on leaving it to run for a few days as a test so that'll mean it is away from me longer, but it is probably a good idea

Hi Guys...

Yes it was a Teac Guy and a Teac Van (although a very new technician he seemed pretty competant) He says they thought it was a loose connection before but now having looked at it it is something wrong with the amplifier circuit. Therefore the TV has gone away for repair as he didnt carry the spares and also they want to check it out as it is the second of this kind of problem they have seen (apparently its quite common within LCD's tho regardless of mfr from what he was saying?)

i have to call them later to ask them to upgrade the firmware also while it is in.. as the service guys grasp of the system wasnt too good (he had only been with Teac for a week) he said they would try and get it back to me for friday... if not then it will be with me monday.. so not too bad. hopefully this will fix it and that will be the end... with the added bonus that i dont have to take it in to get the firmware fixed :blink:

Will let you know how it goes.

Steve

Good stuff. From my point of view, theres been nothing new I can really report on with my screen. So far its been hassle free. I should post up some updated pictures. Since my last lot, i've gotten the 360 add-on for HD DVD playback, which looks sweet. I *wish* it would do 1920x1080 over VGA, but Im not gonna harp on about this anymore.

Black scenes are still pretty poor - watching shows like Supernatural, a lot of the dark scenes are pretty much black, but then I compare it to my CRT, and its not *that* much better anyway. A drawback of LCD's in general.

I wonder if they have discontinued this model. I havnt had any feedback from the guy I used to be in contact with for months, although I gave up caring months ago anyway. I'd love a "1:1" option for all inputs, not only a fixed 1:1 over HDMI with the firmware update. Component seems to overscan a fair bit, which is pretty much unecessary nowadays. I think TEAC suffers from a "flavour of the month" mentality, with the current flavour being the PVR, so I doubt we'll get any future firmware updates, and I also doubt any update was written in-house, probably obtained from the manufacturer. But then again, I cant substantiate this, just my feeling.

Black scenes are still pretty poor - watching shows like Supernatural, a lot of the dark scenes are pretty much black, but then I compare it to my CRT, and its not *that* much better anyway. A drawback of LCD's in general.

Comparing black levels between an LCD and a CRT is very revealing indeed when it comes to LCD black levels.

Once the LCD has been purchaced (and cannot be returned), ignorance is bliss when it comes to this aspect of LCD performance. :blink:

mmm I still have my little LG 4:3 ~26" (roughly, shrug) in the bedroom. My HD 76cm widescreen Sammy CRT is sitting in the garage :S I really should get around to doing something with it - still has 4 years warranty left on it, lol.

You're right though, to a certain extent it's why i've reduced my postings in here, I *really* don't want to nit-pick at smallish things that, at the end of the day, only affect my viewing f-all. Besides, I think everything is pretty much known about this TV now, apart from the service menu functionality, which i'd like to get details on one day :blink:

I wonder if they have discontinued this model.

I can't say for certain, but after all the people at Teac I've spoken to as well as well as retailers, it seems that it has been discontinued since around Nov/Dec. You never see it in stores any more, unless it is a display model that hasn't moved in months. I'm pretty sure that they're shipping 3735A still, not too sure about the 32" and the 26" though. Whether or not they still have some 4235A models sitting boxed in their warehouse, who knows.

What are the blacks like with HD-DVD compared to regular TV or standard-def DVD viewing Dave? Any different. I agree they're still pretty poor but after some tweaking I've found it bearable. I knew it was going to be like this when I bought it so it isn't something that particularly gets to me. I figure I'm going to be getting a new HDTV in a couple of years anyway probably and pass this one along to someone else. After all the trouble I've had with this one though I am wishing I just bought a 42" PX Pana plasma instead, but what do you do.

No update on my set. I'm assuming it is getting worked on at the moment and I won't see it until mid next-week onwards, hopefully I'll hear something soon though. I really want it back before Crackdown is released on the 360 late next week

Whether or not they still have some 4235A models sitting boxed in their warehouse, who knows.

After all the trouble I've had with this one though I am wishing I just bought a 42" PX Pana plasma instead, but what do you do.

Most likely Teac will send you a refurbished unit, not the current model or even the old model (brand new).

And no, Panasonic support is not any better, believe me.