Teac Lcd Brilliant

Yep I agree. I have had the Teac LCD4235A for a couple of weeks now (connected to my HTPC) and can confirm the LCD4235A appears to overscan on the HDMI interface at 1080p60 in a big way. Unfortunately in the current firmware for the TV, there appears to be no way to adjust this (even in service menu mode).

The VGA port on the other hand, not only allows complete 1080p/60 without overscan, the TV set itself allows for full horizontal and vertical adjustment (is this really needed as it doesnt overscan anyway via VGA?). It looks sensational but why would you want to connect a TV, capable of receiving digital picture signals to a computer also capable of sending digital data signals via a crappy old VGA connection? I can truthfully say that this TV would be one of the best, if not the best TV of its size (regardless of cost) in Australia at present if it wasn't for the f#@*ing HDMI overscan! Instead, I can only give it a 7/10 and so it fades into the crowd.

Once again, it looks as though Teac (and other manufacturers - hello! Wake up and start giving us products with the features we don't just want... We need!) have half-baked the HDMI interface electronics / firmware assuming all computers will connect to the TV via VGA not HDMI. What planet are these guys on?!

On the off chance Teac have a firware release that resolves the HDMI overscan issue (I know Im reaching here), I've contacted Teac but, am yet to receive a timely response (read: their after sales service, much like their HDMI interface, leaves a little to be desired).

Can you post what firmware revision it has? According to pixelmapping, the later firmware allows 1:1 over HDMI (http://pixelmapping.wikispaces.com/Amoi+TVs). Not that I know how to get an updated firmware loaded, or even source one :blink:

So VGA input definitely allows full 1080p/60Hz - without stuffing about on the PC catering for overscan? I noticed in the manual it does allow full size/position control for VGA so I expect this is the case. This means I could run it as a monitor with no worries.

It is damn insane though not being able to apply that sort of size/pos control on all analog inputs, and having a 1:1 mapping for hdmi

• Replies 585
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going mad with the choices out there, and I'm even confusing myself as to what I actually want now.

Saturday, I was at Wow and saw the new 37 and 40" LGs hooked to a HD feed (along with most of the other makers) and the LG was frankly impressive. So I came home and did more online research. Then I went to JB sunday to look at them, see what price, but of course, they didn't have that model only the 32. So I was looking at what 40's they did have, and noticed the TEAC 42". And someone came in and bought one for $3100. Even then I didn't look at it too hard, as the overscan was just idiotic. So, I came home and started thinking about it - a 1080p panel for 3100? I started doing more research on the Amoi/Teac. And am more confused.

I'm tempted to get it, but the overscan is just a killer. The fact you can get no overscan on the VGA input makes it a lot more useful to me. And maybe get a VGA adapter for the PS2... If I hook it up with SVideo, I'm liable to get bad overscan.

I am purchasing this unit, for 2 reasons:

Firstly, cost. I *am* on a budget and this unit fits my budget.

Secondly, features. I'll ultimately be heading down the HD DVD/BR path and I dont wanna settle for a panel that wont give me what the new technology is capable of. I have a nice DVD collection atm and i'll probably be running a HD player and my normal one for quite some time - only buying the "wow" HD DVD's that I want.

Its not perfect, but can you compare a KIA to a Merc?

and noticed the TEAC 42". And someone came in and bought one for $3100. Even then I didn't look at it too hard, as the overscan was just idiotic.

Was this in a brisbane store? Cause I bought an Teac LCD4235A yesterday for that price :blink:

The day before I returned a 42" LG (42LC2D) to clive peters a week after purchase because of its limitations on the VGA port and HDMI overscan.

I was a bit smarter this time and after reading this forum on this Teac model I took my laptop into JB-hi fi and played with the VGA and HDMI inputs on the Teac. It could accept a 1920x1080 output from the lappy and display it full screen with the timings a little messed up (not quite 1:1, but didn't have too much time to play with Powerstrip). HDMI overscanned, but this was acceptable for me. I'll be hooking it up to a HTPC (VGA) and Xbox360 (Component).

I was tossing up between this model and the Sony 40" which I know does 1:1(VGA), but only at 1366x768.

So I bought the Teac and Im very pleased with the purchase, I still need to fix the 1:1 mapping issue on the VGA input using powerstrip, but the extra pixles for a similar price as the Sony 40", 6.5ms response and 3 years waranty, I couldn't resist. I'll let you guys know how I go with the powerstrip timings and post a pic of the results.

Was this in a brisbane store? Cause I bought an Teac LCD4235A yesterday for that price :D

The day before I returned a 42" LG (42LC2D) to clive peters a week after purchase because of its limitations on the VGA port and HDMI overscan.

I was a bit smarter this time and after reading this forum on this Teac model I took my laptop into JB-hi fi and played with the VGA and HDMI inputs on the Teac. It could accept a 1920x1080 output from the lappy and display it full screen with the timings a little messed up (not quite 1:1, but didn't have too much time to play with Powerstrip). HDMI overscanned, but this was acceptable for me. I'll be hooking it up to a HTPC (VGA) and Xbox360 (Component).

I was tossing up between this model and the Sony 40" which I know does 1:1(VGA), but only at 1366x768.

So I bought the Teac and Im very pleased with the purchase, I still need to fix the 1:1 mapping issue on the VGA input using powerstrip, but the extra pixles for a similar price as the Sony 40", 6.5ms response and 3 years waranty, I couldn't resist. I'll let you guys know how I go with the powerstrip timings and post a pic of the results.

LOL, yeah, JB Kedron. The person I saw buying it didn't have a laptop with him though. So maybe two people got a 42" Teac for $3100 in Bris yesterday. The price is set now :blink:

Regarding powerstrip, I wouldn't have thought you'd need to muck about with that too much with the TEAC's VGA clock/phase/pos settings?

So the 42" Samsung you had VGA and HDMI issues? Hmm.

Getting this discussion back to the proper topic... :D I dearly want to continue it!

HAve a look on AMIOs website and u will see the current (new) model. looks the same but has dynamic backlight and slightly differnt screen specs. Seems it has replaced the one we are getting in oz. btw, the older model was listed at 8ms from the mfr. TEAC locally listed it at 6.5ms

http://www.amoi.com/index.asp

http://www.amoi.com.cn/html/products_detai...D0%20LC-42HWT3P

LC-42HWT3P

I see, so the previous model, slightly lower spec, but identical was the 4233A (manual downloaded from TEAC), and the new one is the 42235A, which is what i've ordered. I'll leave it here as it's off topic. Sorry guys :blink:
opposite- new model is Higher spec. chuck that last link thru a translater like altavista babblefish and u see

5000:1 CR (dynamic backlighting- blacks will be Much better)

800 nits brightness (wear sunglasses!)

178 deg viewing (2 deg more. bah)

and a lot of other stuff I would need to ask a mate to translate !

Its def a new panel in the later model. and the backlight is dynamic, like the Sony W series :P

So they are selling the 42235A now? I can only see the 4233A on their site.

Where did you order it from/see it?????? I want one :P

Getting this discussion back to the proper topic... :blink: I dearly want to continue it!

So they are selling the 42235A now? I can only see the 4233A on their site.

Where did you order it from/see it?????? I want one :D

The model that OZ has is the previous encarnation. U can find its specs on the global site. It is the chinese site that is showing the new model. The chinese site used to show the old model, but that seems to have gone.

to find the OZ sold one, go here http://www.amoi.com/product/products_model.asp

and look up the elite series

I emailed TEAC about this and got this reply:

"Hello Peter,

Thank you for contacting TEAC Australia. If there is enough demand then

an improved model will be released.

Thank you

TEAC Australia

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Tuesday, 12 September 2006 4:23 PM

To: Daniel Hys

Subject: FW: LCD4235A - sales enquiry"

So in a nutshell, once they have sold off the present stocks, you might see the next model. Depends on that.

Was this in a brisbane store? Cause I bought an Teac LCD4235A yesterday for that price :blink:

Patrick - how is it going with your investigations?

BTW, what is the overscan like on component (how you are hooking up your 360)?

Thanks

Patrick - how is it going with your investigations?

BTW, what is the overscan like on component (how you are hooking up your 360)?

Thanks

Rant on my experiance so far...

I’ve managed to get it displaying 1920x1080 on VGA using Powerstrip. I'll be careful when I say its ALMOST 1:1 pixel mapped, take this with a grain of salt...

I have what looks to be some sort of fuzzy interference lines running down the screen vertically. This is ONLY visable when I have a checkerboard desktop background. It hard to explain what it looks like, but its linked to the horizontal refresh rates.

The TV's VGA frequency and phase options can’t improve on this but do have an effect, however I still think the problem is on my end, will try with a better display card and cable tonight.

As for the Xbox it does overscan on the component input, but with no reference point (i.e. windows start menu bar) I really can’t tell it’s doing it, so it’s acceptable for me.

The TV is has a geat picture, but im unimpressed about the VGA timing issues im having, users shouldn't have to use powerstrip and the like. I've tried raising this as a technical issue on their website, no response yet.

I just dont think the engineers writing the firmware for most HDTV's think of HTPC users... :blink:

Edited by patrick77

Rant on my experiance so far...

I’ve managed to get it displaying 1920x1080 on VGA using Powerstrip. I'll be careful when I say its ALMOST 1:1 pixel mapped, take this with a grain of salt...

I have what looks to be some sort of fuzzy interference lines running down the screen vertically. This is ONLY visable when I have a checkerboard desktop background. It hard to explain what it looks like, but its linked to the horizontal refresh rates.

The TV's VGA frequency and phase options can’t improve on this but do have an effect, however I still think the problem is on my end, will try with a better display card and cable tonight.

As for the Xbox it does overscan on the component input, but with no reference point (i.e. windows start menu bar) I really can’t tell it’s doing it, so it’s acceptable for me.

The TV is has a geat picture, but im unimpressed about the VGA timing issues im having, users shouldn't have to use powerstrip and the like. I've tried raising this as a technical issue on their website, no response yet.

I just dont think the engineers writing the firmware for most HDTV's think of HTPC users... :blink:

Patrick - isn't that what the clock and phase settings are to get rid of?

http://www.techmind.org/lcd/phasexplan.html

Hope that is of some help

Patrick - have you tried that information yet? I'm hating to think it is something as simple as this and you are getting all frustrated still.

I've read the link you posted, but like I said before, the clock and phase settings can't improve the problem, but do have an effect.

The vertical lines I had were similar to a incorrect Clock/pitch, except the vertical lines I has were distorted, like looking at an oscilloscope with just noise, they kept changing at a high frequency, and looks to me like the ADC on the TV was at its limits.

I phoned TEAC but they told me thay aren't setup yet for tech support, and I was told to email... still no respose... *sigh*

I've come to the conclusion that the best resolution for media centre is either at 720p (I do most of my tv watching in SD anyway), or via HDMI @ 1080p and correct the overscan with the graphics card software.

The tv has such a high res, its not that bad not having 1:1 pixel mapping, but it would be nice.

Hopefully they'll respond to my email.

I've read the link you posted, but like I said before, the clock and phase settings can't improve the problem, but do have an effect.

The vertical lines I had were similar to a incorrect Clock/pitch, except the vertical lines I has were distorted, like looking at an oscilloscope with just noise, they kept changing at a high frequency, and looks to me like the ADC on the TV was at its limits.

I phoned TEAC but they told me thay aren't setup yet for tech support, and I was told to email... still no respose... *sigh*

I've come to the conclusion that the best resolution for media centre is either at 720p (I do most of my tv watching in SD anyway), or via HDMI @ 1080p and correct the overscan with the graphics card software.

The tv has such a high res, its not that bad not having 1:1 pixel mapping, but it would be nice.

Hopefully they'll respond to my email.

Ah well, sorry my information wasn't any use.

They aren't setup for tech support yet? I'd be telling them to give me a call when they do have their stuff together, and restart your warranty period from then... :blink:

Another member Pm'd me about this unit, this was my reply:

I bought the unit un-seen, based on reviews and info i'd read previously and somewhat on my little bro buying the 32" (albeit the 1366x768). The store I went to was JB Southland, and was bought for $3150 give or take. The Southland store did not have any stock, and as I paid for delivery (a must unless you have your own van), the deliverers picked a unit up from the JB store in Chadstone Shopping Centre. I dont know if they have one on display though.

OK. Onto the pro's and con's - I really should write up a full review in the thread. Firstly this is how my system is setup.

DVD LG (progressive scan, but not upscaling), component into TV

PS2 component in to TV

X360 VGA cable into TV

HD STB (TEAC DB 820) DVI to HDMI into TV

All sound connections are Toslink and plugged into a Joytech 240C digitial switch, which output a Toslink into the back of a Yamaha amp, doing 6.1 sound. When I want to switch from say, TV to X360, I push a button on the Joytech remote and it changes inputs to the one I want.

Normal HD TV. The colours are amazing, the picture is great (so long as you dont sit too close). I normally sit about 4-7 feet away. The dark movies on TV... I am not sure whether its an issue with the TV, the STB, or the DVI to HDMI cable, however if your watching a movie where a guy is standing in a dark room, the main focus is fine (the guys face etc), but the background lacks definition. I need to see what its like when playing a DVD though to see if it is the cable or the STB or just crappy TV broadcasting. I have come from a sammy HD 32" CRT, so I am used to pretty good picture.

X360 picture is amazing through VGA. I have no issues *at all* with it. The X360 will be releasing a dashboard/inferface update (kinda a firmware upgrade) in a month or so, which will increase the selectable resolution to 1920x1080, when plugged in via VGA. This will allow games to be upscaled to 1920x1080 and also with the HD DVD add-on also being released in a month or so, full-resolution playing of HD DVD's (with the TEAC panel naturally). It will also allow upscaling of normal DVD's to 1080i. If you plug it in through component (the X360 that is), you will not get the full resolution (due to HCDP (?) laws), however VGA is exemp from these - so I would recommend plugging in the X360 using VGA, also there is no HDMI option for X360 and I doubt there will be.

The DVD's I have looked at using the panel have looked very very good, but as I said I havnt really sat down yet and played with contrast/brightness/colour/sharpness settings at all.

I havnt played the PS2 yet with the new unit.

I have not tried plugging a PC into the VGA port, so I cant comment on it's effectiveness there.

The reasons I chose the TEAC

1) the resolution (1920x1080) and my desire to ultimately get into BR/HD DVD (whatever wins)

2) price

3) good experiences with TEAC recently, plus a factory 3 year warranty

4) it has the right inputs for my needs.

5) price again, the next 1920x1080 panels by the bigger names are twice the price - I *am* on a budget.

6) I thought about a 1366x768 panel, but I didnt want to hamstring any future purchases (BR or HD DVD)

One last note. The user manual on the TEAC is hopeless, but anyone singling out this model to buy specifically probably already has a good idea of what does what etc.

OK, Its been about 3 weeks since I last posted. Sorry in advance to those who posted me with questions but work has been soooo busy the last couple of weeks I haven't had time to think about things like TV's n stuff.

Anyway, my thread with TEAC in regards to the overscan issue on the HDMI interface is continuing s-l-o-w-l-y. I will post the emails (see below). Names and addresses have been excluded to protect the innocent. Reading between the lines, it looks as though TEAC have identified the issue and are working on a firmware release to resolve the overscan over HDMI issue (please be aware this is purely speculation at this stage).

I would just say that whilst I have only been dealing with TEAC via email, and whilst a little slow to respond at times, they seem very polite and genuinely interested in resolving the issue for their customer base. A nice surprise and most appreciated. Im not giving up yet and am quietly optimistic...

Andy-Roo's Sumarised Question:

My Teac 42" LCD TV (LCD4235A) is connected via HDMI->DVI but I am unable to achieve 1080p/60 via HDMI without significant overscan... Can you please advise how I can set up the TV to avoid overscan at 1080p via the HDMI interface on the TV.

TEAC's Sumarised Response:

1- What is output resolution and refresh rate from your HTPC?

2- At what point does the over scan occurred (video playback or PC use)?

3- If Video playback, what was the video player program?

4- What would be the viewing aspect ratio of the video source?

5- Please also provide name and model number of your graphic card and Video program.

Andy-Roo's response:

Thanks for getting back to me.

1- What is output resolution and refresh rate from your HTPC?

1920x1080@ 60 Hz

2- At what point does the over scan occurred (video playback or PC use)?

Generally, PC use is the most obvious due to Windows Media Centre controls and Windows XP desktop taskbar and icons being located at the edges/corners of the screen but there is some overscan watching TV too (not DVD movies though). The overscan is just not as obvious when watching TV as the edges of the picture (about 1.5cm left/right) 1cm top/bottom are just cut-off and unless you know what is missing from the picture, you probable wouldn't even know.

3- If Video playback, what was the video player program?

Microsoft MCE 2005 Roll-up 2and iMedian

4- What would be the viewing aspect ratio of the video source?

movies=1.37:1, HDTV=16:9, and desktop = 16:9

5- Please also provide name and model number of your graphic card and Video program

NVidia 7600GS (256MB) with latest drivers (9.1.4.7) downloaded.

NVidia PureVideo MPEG2 decoder

Microsoft MCE 2005 Roll-up 2

TEAC's sumarised response:

My apologies for the later reply. We are currently investigate the cause for this oversize picture and I will reverse to you with a solution ASAP.

Andy-Roo's response:

No problems. If you could resolve as soon as possible because it is negatively impacting my impression of the product at present and I other people on Australia's AV forums are waiting for me to post your response online.

TEAC's sumarised response:

we are currently debug and evaluating change to accommodate HTPC mode, will let you know ASAP once done.

Andy-Roo's response:

Thanks x. Look forward to speaking with you soon. Sounds like a firmware update or something? I really appreciate the effort.

Oh, FYI, my Software Version is: 4-PC218-0.0.7-57-060712-3.0.8

End of current communications

Can you post what firmware revision it has? According to pixelmapping, the later firmware allows 1:1 over HDMI (http://pixelmapping.wikispaces.com/Amoi+TVs). Not that I know how to get an updated firmware loaded, or even source one :blink:

So VGA input definitely allows full 1080p/60Hz - without stuffing about on the PC catering for overscan? I noticed in the manual it does allow full size/position control for VGA so I expect this is the case. This means I could run it as a monitor with no worries.

It is damn insane though not being able to apply that sort of size/pos control on all analog inputs, and having a 1:1 mapping for hdmi

Yes I must admit that 1:1 pixel mapping via HDMI @ 1080p60 was what I expected too given what I had read about the Amoi product. However, I can asure you that with my LCD4235A running software version: 4-PC218-0.0.7-57-060712-3.0.8 and MCU version 2.48, this is not the case....But dont dispare just yet. It looks as though TEAC are working on a software update in an attempt to resolve (see above). As I think TEAC Aust. may have eyes on this thread, I'd better say, you can't ask for more than that:)