Teac Lcd Brilliant

I watched two games of footy and one rugby union on the weekend and unfortunately I'd have to say the Teac is no good for watching footy or rugby as both my (West Aussie) teams and the Australian Wallabies lost:) That being said, fast motion and pans seemed very clear with no significant bluring.

thanks Andy roo you are a star, at the end of the day, that is really what I am after, sorry for dockers, not for Weagles! (west aussie too, but tigers supporter). do you know how much your friend paid, Im negotiating with JB whitfords who say they can deliver in 2 days (before next final)

• Replies 585
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks Andy roo you are a star, at the end of the day, that is really what I am after, sorry for dockers, not for Weagles! (west aussie too, but tigers supporter). do you know how much your friend paid, Im negotiating with JB whitfords who say they can deliver in 2 days (before next final)

Circa $3150

Just double checked the specs http://www.teac.com.au/product/2/472/specs, youve got yourself 6.5 ms rather than 8ms

This is so why you should not believe anything u read. AMOI (the maker) do not list a 6.5ms model in either the new or old version of this set. CMO, the panel maker, dont either

http://www.cmo.com.tw/cmo/english/product/...=20050408182850

Also I compared this sets refresh to the sony v next to it in JB hifi yesterday. the Sony (rated 8ms) is faster.

so always check with ur eyes!

:blink:

This is so why you should not believe anything u read. AMOI (the maker) do not list a 6.5ms model in either the new or old version of this set. CMO, the panel maker, dont either

http://www.cmo.com.tw/cmo/english/product/...=20050408182850

Also I compared this sets refresh to the sony v next to it in JB hifi yesterday. the Sony (rated 8ms) is faster.

so always check with ur eyes!

:blink:

Ok mybrains, now I'm completely lost. what lcd 40-42 inch would you consider the gold standard, in terms of res., contrast, speed in ms etc? HELP

Ok mybrains, now I'm completely lost. what lcd 40-42 inch would you consider the gold standard, in terms of res., contrast, speed in ms etc? HELP

Now u know why i have not bought any LCd as of yet. Some ppl just give up on LCD and buy plasma. This is one choice. Others are looking into Sonys new X series (thread elsewhere in this forum). Of course as with all Sonys, get ur wallet out!

I was told Sony had a faster than 8ms screen. Im not sure its released.

This would be todays pick if I had the cash......

tomorrow, well a few new players are coming. Sharp for one. JVC, Toshiba etc. By Xmas i would hope to have more choices.

I just got a reply from TEAC on the newer model of this screen and availability in OZ:

"Hello Peter,

Thank you for contacting TEAC Australia. If there is enough demand then

an improved model will be released.

Thank you

TEAC Australia

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Tuesday, 12 September 2006 4:23 PM

To: Daniel Hys

Subject: FW: LCD4235A - sales enquiry

You could ask any question about the release of a "newer model" and get that answer

My reading of that reply is that at the moment TEAC have no plans to release a updated model.

agreed. suppose it depends on the sales of the current one. if they are good, the new version will come in. if bad.... :blink:

however it also tells them users are aware of the new model and prefer it. This would hopefully get back to marketing. Im guessing the better version is like $50 more to buy wholesale.

The pic quality is very nice. But the overscan is just horrific. I wouldn't get it on that basis alone unless I know there was a way to adjust it. It is overscanning at least 5% more than the sony's.

Yep I agree. I have had the Teac LCD4235A for a couple of weeks now (connected to my HTPC) and can confirm the LCD4235A appears to overscan on the HDMI interface at 1080p60 in a big way. Unfortunately in the current firmware for the TV, there appears to be no way to adjust this (even in service menu mode).

The VGA port on the other hand, not only allows complete 1080p/60 without overscan, the TV set itself allows for full horizontal and vertical adjustment (is this really needed as it doesnt overscan anyway via VGA?). It looks sensational but why would you want to connect a TV, capable of receiving digital picture signals to a computer also capable of sending digital data signals via a crappy old VGA connection? I can truthfully say that this TV would be one of the best, if not the best TV of its size (regardless of cost) in Australia at present if it wasn't for the f#@*ing HDMI overscan! Instead, I can only give it a 7/10 and so it fades into the crowd.

Once again, it looks as though Teac (and other manufacturers - hello! Wake up and start giving us products with the features we don't just want... We need!) have half-baked the HDMI interface electronics / firmware assuming all computers will connect to the TV via VGA not HDMI. What planet are these guys on?!

On the off chance Teac have a firware release that resolves the HDMI overscan issue (I know Im reaching here), I've contacted Teac but, am yet to receive a timely response (read: their after sales service, much like their HDMI interface, leaves a little to be desired).

That's really disappointing to hear, Andy-Roo. I had all but made up my mind about getting this LCD in the next month or so, and like you, would hook it up to my HTPC. Now I'm unsure again.

I must say, I'm still getting the hang of understanding overscanning and so-on. Is it possible through software/rendering mods in your HTPC apps to counter the overscanning?

Andy Roo,

Nvida cards have an adjustment for overscan and maybe you could use one of them to 'underscan' the picture enough via HDMI to balance out?

I agree that the obsession to overscan is lame, expecially when off a HTPC.

Yep I know. I've actually got that config now. I don't know the technical details of overscan - just what I've read (and interpreted online). I set a custom "underscan" resolution of circa 1808 x 1016 but fonts look a little crappy (livable though). Therefore I assume that Im not getting 1:1 pixel matching like this.

My understanding is that Overscan/underscan caqn only really be resolved on the device actually displaying the image (eg the TV). Anything done in the graphics card driver (powerstrip or other) is just a fudge.

I set a custom "underscan" resolution of circa 1808 x 1016 but fonts look a little crappy (livable though). Therefore I assume that Im not getting 1:1 pixel matching like this.

Andy-Roo - Which would you say looks better for on-screen text PQ:

1808x1016 scaled via HDMI; or 1080P60 via D-sub VGA cable?

Hi Guys, 1st Post here , have been reading for a long time.

I bought this screen yesterday and spent last night playing and configuring it.

I have a PC with an ATI 256MB 9600 Readon Card that is connected to the LCD thru DVI/HDMI Cable

I am having trouble when the PC restarts the Resolution defaults back to 640/480 and i have to reset it.

I havent tried another Desktop yet I have Catalyst 5,10 Drivers do you think it could be the screen or the drivers , or a setting i am missing ?

I didnt have time to upgrade the the drivers last night as it was 1:30am by the time i gave up.

Screen so far looks very nice, Games look amazing. Still need some composite cables for the DVD player to test it out, so far apart from the problem above i am loving it.

Guest c0mput3rg33k

I just did a google search for the LCD3233A and found this thread - HI!

I went into my local retravision (beerwah) last thursday looking for 32" LCD TV's with 1080p and HDMI. The sales guy there was trying to sell me some 42" Plasma. But after I made him get the manual out I convinced him the TV didn't have 1080p - only 1080i. I want 1080p because I have preordered my PS3 which I found out on Friday it had been delayed until March :blink: .

I went on the net and searched for 1080p LCD's and found the TEAC 32" LCD3233A. So I drove all the way back down to Retravision with the model and ordered it from their warehouse because they didn't have any in stock. They said it will be a week to 10 days to come in from the warehouse (must be in iceland if it takes that long). And tomorrow is 1 week! I am hoping I get it before friday night so I can watch the Broncos beat the Bulldogs (I'm a queenslander :D )

Looking forward to picking it up and I will let you guys know what it is like.

I went on the net and searched for 1080p LCD's and found the TEAC 32" LCD3233A. So I drove all the way back down to Retravision with the model and ordered it from their warehouse because they didn't have any in stock. They said it will be a week to 10 days to come in from the warehouse (must be in iceland if it takes that long). And tomorrow is 1 week! I am hoping I get it before friday night so I can watch the Broncos beat the Bulldogs (I'm a queenslander :blink: )

Looking forward to picking it up and I will let you guys know what it is like.

Note that according to the Teac website the LCD3233A is only 1366x768, so won't display 1080p natively

hi mate, thanks for your thoughts. Are you referring to PC games or have you hooked a 360 up?

May I ask what price you nabbed this panel for?

When I posted above I meant PC Game, I Play World of WarCraft and it just looks Awesome.

But the next day I plugged in my Brothers XBOX 360 and it put Wow to shame , I think i'll be buying a XBOX sometime soon.

I got it for $2975 at Sydney Retravision, got a free DVI-HDMI Cable with it, and was able to pay with my AMEX so was quite pleased.

On my original post, I did manage to fix my resolotion issue, was Video card related.