Sign in to follow this  
offshore

X-series Bravia Oz Pricing

I've been absolutely going crazy trying to make up my mind as to what would be the better investment for the long haul. The Pioneer PDP-507XDA or the Sony Bravia X series in either the 46 or 52inch??????

Any Suggestions? I'm also very concerned about all of the discussions(both here and on the US discussion boards as to this "Cloudy effect" seen on the 46 & 52 inch screens manufactured after August. I'm going to wait until after the 1st of the year to see what/if any price drop actually takes place, and what effect this will have on the "bottom line" pricing for the Sony LCDs. I know what the wholesale is on the 46 & 52 through HN currently.

Another question-How many people have ACTUALLY been able to get the 46" for under 5k? I only know of 2 posts, but I really haven't heard anymore about the absolute best street pricing available out there (reciepts to prove this fact) from the various electronic retailers.

Another question-How many people have ACTUALLY been able to get the 46" for under 5k? I only know of 2 posts, but I really haven't heard anymore about the absolute best street pricing available out there (reciepts to prove this fact) from the various electronic retailers.

Also interested in this.

What are the best prices being obtained for the 46" ?

Are we getting many more 46X units being sold under $5k?

Also interested in this.

What are the best prices being obtained for the 46" ?

Are we getting many more 46X units being sold under $5k?

I want to buy an X series but I am waiting until next week when I will be doing the rounds to obtain the best price. I am not sure yet about 46 or 40 but will let you all know what the best price I can get with the sales on

Cheers

Den

Hi

How good is the internal hd tuner in the V and X series? Are they the same tuners? Would I be able to bypass the internal hd tuner with one of my own, not that I'm thinking of doing this but just curious.

Rgds

Patrick

Hi

How good is the internal hd tuner in the V and X series? Are they the same tuners? Would I be able to bypass the internal hd tuner with one of my own, not that I'm thinking of doing this but just curious.

Rgds

Patrick

I have found the built in tuner to be very good!

Whether it is the aerial booster which helps or not - I'm not sure.

I have a Mac mini with a EyeTV tuner as well - and the signal strength is often better in my built in tuner with my X series than with EyeTV!

I can bypass the built in tuner - just by selecting the external source - for my Mac mini / EyeTV - so yes you can plug in anything you want! Just like we all used to do with analogue TV's and set top boxes.

A friend still uses his Toppie with his X series I think as well.

I've been absolutely going crazy trying to make up my mind as to what would be the better investment for the long haul.

Don't kid yourself - it is an expense not an investment. Once you walk out of the shop the value will drop by $1,000. Investments go up in value.

I'm sure you'll enjoy either screen but they will not go up in value.

Don't kid yourself - it is an expense not an investment. Once you walk out of the shop the value will drop by $1,000. Investments go up in value.

I'm sure you'll enjoy either screen but they will not go up in value.

Disagree 100% Doug. It's definately an investment - in your quality of life - which can only improve (aka. go up in value) with one of those puppies sitting in your living room.

A little birdy told me that there will be a price drop on the X series after Xmas... stay tuned...

It seems that Sony have passed on approximately 5% price reduction exclusively to Harvey Norman until Mid January. After that other retailers wil get the wholesale price drop. HN in the MLC Centre, Sydney will do a 40X for around $4000.

Be very, very careful with buying Sony stuff from Computer world. I don't think they're an official Sony retailer, so anything bought from there may not be recognised by Sony for any warranty purposes.

I second this. ComputerWorld are very dodgy.

Just read a few horror stories on Whirlpool and you get the idea.

http://www.google.com.au/search?q=cworld+s...hirlpool.net.au

I just noticed the RRP on the 46x is now $6499 (down from $6999). The 52x hasn't changed.

I wonder how this will affect street prices.

It seems that Sony have passed on approximately 5% price reduction exclusively to Harvey Norman until Mid January. After that other retailers wil get the wholesale price drop. HN in the MLC Centre, Sydney will do a 40X for around $4000.

I'm not saying that you've given out incorrect information, but a friend of mine bought the 40X for $4000 flat on Friday (Dec 22) at Retravision (in Perth).

I'm not saying that you've given out incorrect information, but a friend of mine bought the 40X for $4000 flat on Friday (Dec 22) at Retravision (in Perth).

Which Retravision store in Perth??

I looked at the X series seriously for our upstairs room. The "clouds" issue worries me though and they can drop the price all they want, but the mura issue needs to be fixed.

picked up 46X today with 5 yrs warranty for $5500, cloudyness is not evident although there is slight uneveness with the backlight at say 30degrees off center is noticeable, but will run for 24hrs or more and see how it goes . manufacturing date is october 2006.

Edited by DaveV

hope this cloudy business goes away very soon....

picked up 46X today with 5 yrs warranty for $5500, cloudyness is not evident although there is slight uneveness with the backlight at say 30degrees off center is noticeable, but will run for 24hrs or more and see how it goes . manufacturing date is october 2006.

Can you tell me what retailer you got your deal from? im looking to do the same after xmas.

Can you tell me what retailer you got your deal from? im looking to do the same after xmas.

HN Campbelltown,

been spending way to much time getting this thing right LOL, still slightly unhappy with black levels in full dark room, but will play with it more and see how it goes..

I have no real issue with cloudiness just a slightly brighter than expected backlight bleed.

Edited by DaveV

A contact in Harvey Norman told about the exclusivity of the wholesale price drop. It is great that other retailers are able to match them. At least we know the street price of a 40X is now no more than $4000.

A contact in Harvey Norman told about the exclusivity of the wholesale price drop. It is great that other retailers are able to match them. At least we know the street price of a 40X is now no more than $4000.

Definitely. You'd be a mug to pay more than 4k now.

It's amazing really. This TV has been shedding about $100 per week since it was released. Good news for this particular model, but also good news for the market as a whole.

looked at HN, JB and DSE Nunawading on Saturday and today, only looked on Saturday but today I asked HN Nuna what is the price of the 40X with a five year warranty (ticket was still at $4,300 from Saturday), came back with $4,070, still undecided so didn't push it to see if it could go lower, so working on usual HN 10% warranty give it a price of $3,700.

Salesman was trying to sell the 1080 as better than 768 (?) hd (am considering 50" pana plasma for similar price) for showing sd dvds and PS2 as the old sd "fits" better into 1080 than 768. True?

Salesman was trying to sell the 1080 as better than 768 (?) hd (am considering 50" pana plasma for similar price) for showing sd dvds and PS2 as the old sd "fits" better into 1080 than 768. True?

Depends whether you are talking about mathematic theory or real world appearance

Have a read of the reviews in the Bravia X threads for more on this info -

However, in general, the poorer (lower) resolution formats show up more imperfections on higher resolutions and sizes of screens (so what he is saying is not really correct).

The Bravia X is a good example of this as it does not make SD images (especially poor source material) appear better given the same size resolutions (keep in mind you are also going to have variations in black levels, contrast, motion blur ... and if you compare to other technologies (eg plasma) then even pixel fill ratios, colour gamut etc)

If you were never going to use 720p or 1080i/p then a screen of this resolution is a costly exercise that will not actually improve your viewing. However, given the propensity of technology to march towards improving itself, it is likely that the HD resolutions of consoles (PC, Xbox 360, PS3, HD DVD, Blueray, HDTV) are only going to become more widespread, not less.

J.

looked at HN, JB and DSE Nunawading on Saturday and today, only looked on Saturday but today I asked HN Nuna what is the price of the 40X with a five year warranty (ticket was still at $4,300 from Saturday), came back with $4,070, still undecided so didn't push it to see if it could go lower, so working on usual HN 10% warranty give it a price of $3,700.

Hi all

I will be buying an X Series within the next two weeks. I note the prices in Perth have come down to $4300 at HN, however I went in Sony Central today and was offered only $4500. What is the best price someone has bought this so far to give me better bargining power

Cheers Den

Hi all

I will be buying an X Series within the next two weeks. I note the prices in Perth have come down to $4300 at HN, however I went in Sony Central today and was offered only $4500. What is the best price someone has bought this so far to give me better bargining power

Cheers Den

I've been looking at buying the 40" Xseries TV for about six months...

Decided it would be a post christmas present to myself.

I noticed just yesterday that Sony has announced a price drop on their web site.

The RRP is now $4999. It was previously at $5499.....

So take care while this price spreads out into the retailers there will be alot of guys still charging based on the old prices and some making out that they are giving you a super bargin.

That said i'm keeping my eyes open to see what the best deals are now ;-)