X-series Bravia Oz Pricing

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After much consideration and research into each stores warranty (yes I read the fine print) I bought the 40" X LCD from HN in Chadstone with 5 years extended warranty for 4500. A good result as the same day I bought an LG DBRH197 DVD/HDD Recorder for 800 including Monster Cable hdmi Monster Cable component and MC scart to component cables, finally the Monster Cable Home Theatre protector for 285.

quite pleased with the result

Nothing wrong with your price on the Bravia at all - about as good as anything going around. I paid $4200 plus $300 for the extended warranty at a HN store in Adelaide after shopping around at every other retailer in Adelaide including other HN stores.3

Can't comment on the price of the LG recorder, but HM are renowned for ripping the guts out of customers with their cable prices. Apparently they put on a 300% to 400% mark-up on the cables and then "special" them with about half that mark-up.

I buy my cables from Jaycar for about one third of the price for the HN equivalent, and get a great result from them.

Anyone got any idea what the pricing for the new W series (looks like the V series but has 1080p) will be (or when it gets released here) or whether there's gonna be a significant drop in the X series pricing this christmas??

If Sony was going to release the W series here, they already would have. The fact that they remove that option for Australian customers annoys the hell out of me. I'm caught between two nearly-desirable-but-not-good-enough alternatives:

1. V series - Almost perfect, but with only one component input, no thanks

2. X series - overpriced largely due to style over substance; can't be bought in any other colour but silver unless you pay a massive price premium for a piece of plastic. No thanks.

Neon Kitten, I would agree that one component input on the V is somewhat limiting. Should really have two, and perhaps even three in this day and age.

On the X, based on the street pricing I dont think you can consider it overpriced. It is afterall 1080p and technology costs money. Sony would be recouping R & D costs and they will obviously drop as they start selling more and it becomes more main stream, but realistically they are the best priced 1080 product on the market. Look at how much Pioneer charges for a 1080 50" Plasma. I think Sony has hit the mark with its pricing.

Even the new Sharp 1080 panels due out next week are reportedly about the same prices as the Sony's. Only a couple bucks less.

On your comment about only commig in silver, well, really there is virtually not TV on the market that gives you colour options. I think 99.99% of TV's come in the colour they come in and that is it. At keast Sony does make an option. More than can be said for other manufacturers.

Yep even the Government "pays" GST - it would receive an ITC (Input Tax Credit) for purchasing them.

Yeh. Just wondering if the prices included gst since it wasn't specified. Often wholesale prices don't quote with GST.

Has anyone got any pricing info on wall mounts for the Sony 40X2000? $500 seems a lot for a piece of metal.

Hi , I'm just about to purchase a 40x2000 and wish to wall mount it also.

I have been advised by Sony Central that the Sony wall mount is "overpriced, results in difficulty plugging cables into the Bravia (they need to be plugged into the TV before it is hung on the mount - thus a 3 person job) and does not provide any adjustment such as tilt when on the wall.

I contacted James at Canohm (wholesaler but are happy to discuss technical issues) who advised using the "Venturi VPT-150" bracket.

Their web site is: http://www.canohm.com.au/brackets.htm#venturi

I understand that this mount is manufactured in Australia. It provides a wide wall bracket with cable holes (for connection to 2 studs), as well as +- 15 degrees tilt for the television once mounted on the wall and I understand fits the x-series Bravia.

The bracket also moves the TV slightly further off the wall than the Sony mount which allows easier connection of cables to the Bravia when it is on the wall.

Sony Central staff have also recomending the use of this mount off the record !

Best news is the price - RRP $299 - however I understand that retailers are selling them for less.

Suggest you give James a call - he is very knowledgeable.

I am not using one at the moment - but plan to buy one in the next few weeks.

Hi , I'm just about to purchase a 40x2000 and wish to wall mount it also.

I have been advised by Sony Central that the Sony wall mount is "overpriced, results in difficulty plugging cables into the Bravia (they need to be plugged into the TV before it is hung on the mount - thus a 3 person job) and does not provide any adjustment such as tilt when on the wall.

I contacted James at Canohm (wholesaler but are happy to discuss technical issues) who advised using the "Venturi VPT-150" bracket.

Their web site is: http://www.canohm.com.au/brackets.htm#venturi

I understand that this mount is manufactured in Australia. It provides a wide wall bracket with cable holes (for connection to 2 studs), as well as +- 15 degrees tilt for the television once mounted on the wall and I understand fits the x-series Bravia.

The bracket also moves the TV slightly further off the wall than the Sony mount which allows easier connection of cables to the Bravia when it is on the wall.

Sony Central staff have also recomending the use of this mount off the record !

Best news is the price - RRP $299 - however I understand that retailers are selling them for less.

Suggest you give James a call - he is very knowledgeable.

I am not using one at the moment - but plan to buy one in the next few weeks.

Many thanks Steve. Very helpful. I plan to buy my 40X and a Panasonic DMR-EX85 in January after the next round of price cuts. Incidentally I am in Sydney andasume from your post name you are in Hobart.

A little birdy told me that there will be a price drop on the X series after Xmas... stay tuned...

Cool. I would really like the 52", but it has been way too pricey. I wonder how much they'll be dropping. Probably not enough to consider the 52", but you'll never know.

Thought i would mention that i got hold of a Sony 46" X series for $4500. A guy won it in a competition and wanted to offload it. I dont think her quite realised what it was worth. Pretty good deal i think... Just hope its not one of the panels that bleeds...

Thought i would mention that i got hold of a Sony 46" X series for $4500. A guy won it in a competition and wanted to offload it. I dont think her quite realised what it was worth. Pretty good deal i think... Just hope its not one of the panels that bleeds...

I note that Sony now have the next batch in the country...I'm picking mine up on Saturday. Any feedback re clouding from anyone that has one from the new batch?

I note that Sony now have the next batch in the country...I'm picking mine up on Saturday. Any feedback re clouding from anyone that has one from the new batch?

Cool, hopefully my 52" should rock up next week.

Yes there will be a price drop for the x series after xmas. my brother works for DS and his sony rep informed him of just that. You will be looking at around 5% across the range...]

Not much of a drop considering:

1. Sony are charging a significant premium already

2. It only has a 1 year warranty

Although in partical terms you can probably get a 46" for a $5k much easier once this drop occurs.