Sign in to follow this  
Trigg

Whoa This Is A Big Lcd (65inch)

Sharp Aquos 65inch

Can be viewed at Retravision Osborne Park in Perth. Do they expect to sell any of these with a RRP of $27,999!!! :D:P:P

Makes the Pioneer 50" 1080p HD Plasma look damn cheap. :blink:

These are great, no comparing to the Pioneer as it's another 15 inches. Check the price of even an ordinary 60" pioneer plasma.

Bloody ordinary display, would not have one as a gift.

Gray blacks and LOTS of harsh digital artefacts.

Bloody ordinary display, would not have one as a gift.

Gray blacks and LOTS of harsh digital artefacts.

It would want to be a huge improvement on the 45", else I suspect you're right Owen. Did someone say clayface?

Well went and viewed this today - absolute rubbish for the price. Picture quality was very dissapointing with major artifacts playing the Sharp Aquos Demo. :ph34r:

Yeah, but that's not the panel's fault. The artifacts are in the demo, the panel just resolves detail very well. The aquos demo is highly compressed HVD. It's like judging a top end hifi with mp3's.

Sorry to ressurect, but the specs for this monitor say that it's resolution is 1920x1080i ...

How can a digital display have an interlaced resolution ? Unless its native res is 1920x540, and they're using marketing speak ...

Sorry to ressurect, but the specs for this monitor say that it's resolution is 1920x1080i ...

How can a digital display have an interlaced resolution ?

i or p relates to input signals, not resolution.

Saying resolution 1080i is technically inaccurate, but is readily understood as having resolution of 1080 and capable of accepting 1080i (but not 1080p) input.

Simple :blink::D

i or p relates to input signals, not resolution.

Saying resolution 1080i is technically inaccurate, but is readily understood as having resolution of 1080 and capable of accepting 1080i (but not 1080p) input.

Simple :blink::D

This is an horible display unit. What's worse, SHARP are engaging in misleading and deceptive conduct. If you notice their product page (Here) you will notice that they say :

"Hi Contrast" 800:1 and

"Hi Brightness" 450cd/m2

These numbers are at best "average" and certainly not high compared to much better performing LCD products now.

Given that LCD contrast and brightness is NOT good at the best of times, implying that this product is better than average is very misleading and deceptive.

"Hi Contrast" 800:1 and "Hi Brightness" 450cd/m2

These numbers are at best "average"

Not as bad as adverts from banks -- 5% p.a. interest for Savings is huge, 7.5% p.a. interest for Mortgages is low :blink:

"Hi Brightness" 450cd/m2

Given that LCD contrast and brightness is NOT good at the best of times, implying that this product is better than average is very misleading and deceptive.

Maybe you missed the terminology!

The quote above doesn't claim "High Contrast" or "High Brightness" ...

They are merely greeting the parameters, as in:

G'day Contrast, 800:1

Hello Brightness, 450cd/m2

:blink::D:P

It actually does say "high" if you read the link, I was gonna make the same joke before I thought I should check :blink:

It actually does say "high" if you read the link, I was gonna make the same joke before I thought I should check :P

Now why let that stop you!! :blink::D

And g'day to you to, Santa!! :blink:

Greetings Contrast,

How's your cousin Blown Pixel going ?

Austen.

This is an horible display unit. What's worse, SHARP are engaging in misleading and deceptive conduct. If you notice their product page (Here) you will notice that they say :

"Hi Brightness" 450cd/m2

These numbers are at best "average" and certainly not high compared to much better performing LCD products now.

Strictly speaking, manufacturers should update their websites at least once a month. That way a product they brought out say six months ago, that is surpassed in some respects by products currently being released, could have its praises sung in a more subdued manner as each month passes. Just edit the description on the website subtly each month. :blink:

And I guess while the manufacturer is doing this editing, they could recall the printed product brochures and have them pulped, and reissued. Or, which might save trouble and expense, have a date of publication on the brochure and a disclaimer, "This is merely an historical record thought accurate at the time of publication.".

If you actually get the opportunity to stand in front of these 65" monsters, you will find they have quite a bit of brightness.

And there's not a pack of other large LCD 1920 x 1080 panels on offer.

I've seen a 65" Acquos that impressed me but I only saw the high definition video it was connected to for about a minute and it was a slow moving picture without obvious artefacts.

I've seen a 45" Aquos fed HD video in WMV format (underwater shots of dolphins) . Unfortunately the softness of the video was so pronounced the 45" Aquos (1920 x 1080) looked no sharper than a 37" Acquos (1366 x 768) fed the same video.

It is very frustrating trying to 'audition' a 1920 x 1080 panel without test material that will stretch its limits.

Given all the negative comments in this topic about the Aquos 65" and its alleged artefacts I have to accept these artefacts must have appeared on the screen. I just wonder a little though how good the source material was. It'd be more persuasive if another 1920 x 1080 panel was being sent the same material, and did not show the artefacts.

Just thought I'd offer some +ve impressions I've had.

I've saw this display at a trade show a little while ago and was very pleasantly surprised at the picture quality despite the "lowly" specs. Across the display hall it looked fabulous, but the picture quality looked good because the source material was obviously tailored to the screen...from memory a series of brilliant still-shots.