Sign in to follow this  
mtv

Sony Strda5200es

They're using their "cross-media" OSD (as found on PSP/PS3)

Screenshots.

It seems we may be getting it before US for once. A pleasant rarity. :blink:

I think I'll be interested in seeing this receiver.

I'm after a receiver that has at least the following:

- 1080p passthrough

- upconversion to HDMI

- at least 3 HDMI inputs

- at least 3 component inputs

- (optional) good upscaling / deinterlacing to 1080p

I guess this gives me the following options:

- Sony Strda5200es

- Yamaha rx-v2700

- Pioneer VSX-AX4ASi-S

Any others you guys can think of?

I think I'll be interested in seeing this receiver.

- (optional) good upscaling / deinterlacing to 1080p

I wouldn't be looking to any receiver to be a good upscaler so am glad it's optional for you.

I would also consider the Denon4306

"Sony STRDA5200ES is the top of the line model in Sony's new range of ES receivers." ? what going to happen to the big daddy TADA 9000 digital AVR? given the shove ?

The TADA9000 is not really an AVR - Its an AVP - AV Power Amp. It has no reciever function - no in built tuner. Its simply a 200w x 7 big mother amp.

But as to what they will do with them, When I bought my V40 last week at Sony Central in Sydney they had the suckers stacked at $2499

So I guess the option is big mother power amp for $2499, or HDMI DA5200 for $2499.

The big daddy, has just become a Grandad, with shits loads of beef still in him.......

I actually did follow the link through to Sony's website. I'd say that the $1700 receiver is in my price range.

However none of these new receivers support Dolby Digital HD and DTS TrueHD do they?

Anyone have any idea when recievers will be coming out that support the HD Dolby and DTS formats?

I think I may just buy the STRDG700S + SAVS300H CINE700S and then upgrade to a better receiver when true HD ones are available.

http://www.sony.com.au/homecinema/catalog/...ategoryId=22836

*EDIT* Link doesn't go straight to the product.

Anyone know if they sound good in a 3x4 metre room?

I can't seem to find any local shops with them in stock to test them out. Also can I get stands for the surround speakers? I may just suckat web browsing but I can't find any mention of stands for them on Sony's site.

Cine700s was advertised by Sony Central in the Sun Herald last week for $1399. The matching rear stands are the WSFV11, although just about any common speaker stand will fit them - the screw to go into the thread on the speaker, is supplied with the speaker.

hope that helps

I wouldn't be looking to any receiver to be a good upscaler so am glad it's optional for you.

I would also consider the Denon4306

Thanks, I'll add that too.

The scaler is nice to have, more to compare against the inbuilt display's scaler and use the best one. I won't be getting a seperate scaler until I build a dedicated home cinema with projector (prob about 5 years). :blink:

Might not need one by then as I'd probably only what 1080p by then anyway. :D

The TADA9000 is not really an AVR - Its an AVP - AV Power Amp. It has no reciever function - no in built tuner. Its simply a 200w x 7 big mother amp.

But as to what they will do with them, When I bought my V40 last week at Sony Central in Sydney they had the suckers stacked at $2499

So I guess the option is big mother power amp for $2499, or HDMI DA5200 for $2499.

The big daddy, has just become a Grandad, with shits loads of beef still in him.......

yeah l heard they( the tada 9000es ) were going cheap..........thats a bargain for anyone wanting a really clean 200wx7 amp.........l own one and would recommend it to anyone wanting a nice pre/pwr amp alternative ( l'm not sony crazy either :blink: )

l did a lot of research before getting mine and found they got a lot of "audiophile quality " commments about their sound quality compared to other top end avr's....so as l listen to a lot of music as well as watch movies thought this was the best contender in my price range at the time.....otherwise l would've had to go pre/pwr combo and spend mega bucks to better it....

worth a test drive for people in the market for sure....cheers ken s

Cine700s was advertised by Sony Central in the Sun Herald last week for $1399. The matching rear stands are the WSFV11, although just about any common speaker stand will fit them - the screw to go into the thread on the speaker, is supplied with the speaker.

hope that helps

So the WSFV11's will suit the CINE700B perfectly?

I was actually looking for stands for the back speakers.

So the WSFV11's will suit the CINE700B perfectly?

I was actually looking for stands for the back speakers.

Yes they will - the WSFV11 suit all sony satellite speakers. No issue at all

But depends how you want to run them.

The rears can be split to be a 7.1 system. So if you run 7.1 tou will need two pairs of stands. If you wun it in 6.1 to match the amp, you will need 1.5 pairs (he he) so you will have to buy two pairs.

If you run it as 5.1 you will only need one pair. Basically two of the rear speakers can be joined together to give you a 5.1 set. Split the rear pairs and you end up with a 7.1 set. Split only one pair or read and you get 6.1 (2 sats for back R & L, 2 sets contained in the joined config for rear cntr)

Anyone know who has the STRDA5200ES in Melbourne? I'm looking for a seller who has this as well as the KDS60R2000 so i can (hopefully) get a good price...

Anyone know who has the STRDA5200ES in Melbourne? I'm looking for a seller who has this as well as the KDS60R2000 so i can (hopefully) get a good price...

Trevor lees is pretty hard to beat most of the time......

cheers ken

Trevor lees is pretty hard to beat most of the time......

cheers ken

Maybe so, but my email on Sunday night to him has gone unanswered, so I'm going with Clive Peeters. Got some keen pricing sub 2,000 on the STR, and around 5,000 for the KDS60R2000.

Maybe so, but my email on Sunday night to him has gone unanswered, so I'm going with Clive Peeters. Got some keen pricing sub 2,000 on the STR, and around 5,000 for the KDS60R2000.

Thats pretty good going.

source cnet.com.au review

Upside

The Sony STRDA5200ES is the top of the line model in Sony's new range of ES receivers. The new ES range of receivers have been designed with high definition content in mind, and features the ability to switch video signals of up to 1080p resolution -- that means they're ideal for next-gen products such as Blu-ray players or PlayStation 3s. The ES range also features automatic speaker calibration technology. Dubbed Digital Cinema Auto Calibration (DCAC) by Sony -- the receivers come with a microphone that owners can use to automatically adjust audio output levels regardless of speaker layout. And for those who like to plug their portable MP3 players into their home sound system, the ES series has made the task easier by including a front audio input on all three models. This front input has technology Sony dubs Portable Audio Enhancer, which works by improving a digital signal to output sharper clarity and deeper bass.

The 5200ES is a 7.1 channel model (7x120 watts) that incorporates DCDi "Cinema" technology, which essentially allows the receiver to upscale SD analog video up to HD quality (up to 1080p using HDMI or up to 1080i via component cables). The unit sports some fairly impressive connectivity options -- there are three HDMI inputs, three component, three coaxial, five optical digital, as well as five inputs and two outputs for AV and four inputs with one output for audio. The unit also sports multi-room capabilities, which allows you to use a 5.1 set-up in one room while using the remaining two speaker channels in another space entirely. Exclusive to the 5200ES is the inclusion of an on-screen graphic user interface which displays the receiver's functions on screen while still watching a program.

Downside

The Sony STRDA5200ES has been built with an eye to the future, which means its only really useful if you've got the gear to match. Unless you already have other high def home entertainment gear (or are planning to upgrade soon), a cheaper receiver may be the better option.

Outlook

If you're planning on moving into the high def world, the Sony STRDA5200ES looks to be an ideal receiver.

Ahhhhh....nice....shame about the price.

If only some of the features would work their way down to the basic $499 models.

I wouldn't mind the three HDMI inputs, even if they were only pass-thru with no upscaling.

Hey there folks!

I want this receiver, but I live in the US. We have it but only in black. I need the silver one to match all of my other Sony Components. Can anybody recommend where I could purchase one to have it shipped to me here in the US?

Thanks so much in advance!

Hey there folks!

I want this receiver, but I live in the US. We have it but only in black. I need the silver one to match all of my other Sony Components. Can anybody recommend where I could purchase one to have it shipped to me here in the US?

Thanks so much in advance!

Try SonyCentral.com.au as your first stop. It will provide contact details for all the Sony stores round Australia. You could give them a try.

Try SonyCentral.com.au as your first stop. It will provide contact details for all the Sony stores round Australia. You could give them a try.

Thanks Mark! Would this unit work with the USA's power outlets?

Thanks Mark! Would this unit work with the USA's power outlets?

No. You would need a step down transformer.

No. You would need a step down transformer.

In his case it would be a steup-up transformer.

I am trying to choose between the 5200ES & Yamaha's 2700.

Can anyone help me make up my mind? Which is better?

If I am connecting to Sony products would it be best to stick with Sony? (especially due to HDMI compatibilties)

BTW: A guy in Sony Central told me that there will be an HDMI 1.3 upgrade coming for the 5200ES to coincide with PS3 release.

I am trying to choose between the 5200ES & Yamaha's 2700.

Can anyone help me make up my mind? Which is better?

I had the 5200ES / 2700 / Pio Ax4 asi on my short list.

I crossed the 5200ES off my list after reading all sort of problems people were having with the unit (UI crashes, HDMI probs). There is a thread on av forums. See http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....0306&page=1

So was down to the pio and yammy. I'm going to get the Pio, mainly due to the extra HDMI port. There is also mainly positive feedback about the US equiv unit on avsforums (see the '84 model).

But I don't think you'd go wrong with the yammy! My currently avr is a yammy (a 995). Had it since '99, and still going well other than an iffy motorised volume control (i.e. the motor sometimes doesn't work, so you have to get off your butt to change volume).

BTW if you get the yammy I have an ipod dock I'm going to sell if anyone is interested. Got it from foxtail when I was going to get the 2700, but have changed my mind. It's obviously never used.