Sony Strda5200es

source cnet.com.au review

Upside

The Sony STRDA5200ES is the top of the line model in Sony's new range of ES receivers. The new ES range of receivers have been designed with high definition content in mind, and features the ability to switch video signals of up to 1080p resolution -- that means they're ideal for next-gen products such as Blu-ray players or PlayStation 3s. The ES range also features automatic speaker calibration technology. Dubbed Digital Cinema Auto Calibration (DCAC) by Sony -- the receivers come with a microphone that owners can use to automatically adjust audio output levels regardless of speaker layout. And for those who like to plug their portable MP3 players into their home sound system, the ES series has made the task easier by including a front audio input on all three models. This front input has technology Sony dubs Portable Audio Enhancer, which works by improving a digital signal to output sharper clarity and deeper bass.

The 5200ES is a 7.1 channel model (7x120 watts) that incorporates DCDi "Cinema" technology, which essentially allows the receiver to upscale SD analog video up to HD quality (up to 1080p using HDMI or up to 1080i via component cables). The unit sports some fairly impressive connectivity options -- there are three HDMI inputs, three component, three coaxial, five optical digital, as well as five inputs and two outputs for AV and four inputs with one output for audio. The unit also sports multi-room capabilities, which allows you to use a 5.1 set-up in one room while using the remaining two speaker channels in another space entirely. Exclusive to the 5200ES is the inclusion of an on-screen graphic user interface which displays the receiver's functions on screen while still watching a program.

Downside

The Sony STRDA5200ES has been built with an eye to the future, which means its only really useful if you've got the gear to match. Unless you already have other high def home entertainment gear (or are planning to upgrade soon), a cheaper receiver may be the better option.

Outlook

If you're planning on moving into the high def world, the Sony STRDA5200ES looks to be an ideal receiver.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"incorporates DCDi "Cinema" technology, which essentially allows the receiver to upscale SD analog video up to HD quality (up to 1080p using HDMI ..."

I gotta say BS to Sony's marketing here

My dedicated new VP30 scaler can't even do 1080p, let alone this avr that costs less and has amps and all sorts of extra stuff in it :blink:

"incorporates DCDi "Cinema" technology, which essentially allows the receiver to upscale SD analog video up to HD quality (up to 1080p using HDMI ..."

I gotta say BS to Sony's marketing here

My dedicated new VP30 scaler can't even do 1080p, let alone this avr that costs less and has amps and all sorts of extra stuff in it :blink:

are you mr anonymous ? - HEHE

sony marketing?

by anonymous - 15/08/2006, 06:17 PM

Cons: upscale SD analog video up to HD quality (up to 1080p using HDMI or up to 1080i via component cables). - gee most dedicated scalers won't do this eg latest DVDO VP30 at $3.5K by itself...

marketing bollocks!

are you mr anonymous ? - HEHE

sony marketing?

by anonymous - 15/08/2006, 06:17 PM

Cons: upscale SD analog video up to HD quality (up to 1080p using HDMI or up to 1080i via component cables). - gee most dedicated scalers won't do this eg latest DVDO VP30 at $3.5K by itself...

marketing bollocks!

catched :blink:

from the horses mouth - http://www.sony.com.au/objects/other/MSAUG06Newsonline.htm

Question is the HDMI 1.3?

It will almost certainly be <1.3.

The ol' big daddy 9000. I used to wonder what it sounded like since I couldn't afford it. It has an inferior video feature set to the 5200 now anyway.

IF the 1080p is legit then this looks pretty good value ($200 greater than the non-1080p yamaha 2600).

Guest dwegner

The ol' big daddy 9000. I used to wonder what it sounded like since I couldn't afford it. It has an inferior video feature set to the 5200 now anyway.

IF the 1080p is legit then this looks pretty good value ($200 greater than the non-1080p yamaha 2600).

I dont know how many here are 'MYSony' members but I received my usual mysony membership email today and they are taking preorders on these units now, they will ship on the 18th of September according to the members area. I am planning on building a dedicated theatre in our new house ans have been researching and researching (like you do), you know the drill checking everything i can out as best as possible. I was all set to lock myself into a Ruby and the Yamaha v2600b ect..now in recent days Sony announces the 'Pearl' HD DLP PJ able to do 1080p and now this AVR...reckon I'll sit back 6 months finish the theatre design and THEN start checking whats on the market. It changes so quickly, I am keen to see a Optoma HD81 actually in action as well but still no word as to when it hits our shores.

Still it will be interesting to see if this new avr can do what they claim, I would like someone like AVS sciences in the US to review it as well.

:blink:

Hey l have one of those "ol' big daddy 9000's " :blink: , and yes its really good ...and heavy! ( 30kg )

l dont worry about running anything visaul through it atm as l just run hdmi straight from my dvd to the pj, if and when l run more stuff l'll get a switcher box l guess as l dont want to sell this just to get an avr to do it, good for a few yrs yet l reckon :D

Cheers ken s

Hi mizu, l'm running seas thors and odins in 5.1 atm.......the thors are the l&r and the odins do the center and surrounds, the amp handles these 4 ohm loads np and it sounds great to my ears.

yeah l'm no hurry to move from this amp as its resolution is really somthing to be heard, l'd have to spend a lot of money to make a worthwhile upgrade and l'm not that rich mate :D

also doing an ib sub too, l'm nearly ready to paint the line array box......it's huge at 2.2m wide x .8 high x .3 deep and will be set into the wall below the pj.....hopefully have this going in the next 2 weeks :ph34r: :ph34r: :blink:

cheers ken s

also doing an ib sub too, l'm nearly ready to paint the line array box......it's huge at 2.2m wide x .8 high x .3 deep and will be set into the wall below the pj.....hopefully have this going in the next 2 weeks :ph34r: :ph34r: :blink:

cheers ken s

Holy hell. That's not an enclosure, thats a coffin. At least it would be if my wife caught me installing that into the house.

Will no doubt sell a few units. Pity that:

a) FTA TV will never broadcast 1080p

B) BluRay & HD DVD players are essentially 1080i machines. They simply insert an extra (copied) frame to make the output 1080p - so zip viewing difference over 'bog standard' 1080i

On the plus side apparently a few game consoles might use 1080p. But thinking about that any box outputting at that rate must be processing enormous amounts of data (quite aside from keeping the game itself running) can't imagine a title using 1080p quality graphics for a while to come yet.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Holy hell. That's not an enclosure, thats a coffin. At least it would be if my wife caught me installing that into the house.

Yeah she freaked a bit when she first saw the size of the hole l cut out of the wall below the screen ........ l had explained to her about the size but she has trouble visualising things......

but she is ok with it now as it only will protude into the room .3m .....even had me a bit concerned for a start but it should blend in ok once its painted etc, this is the only option l had to run the drivers l have as there was'nt sufficent room in the attic ceiling space due to a dormer window

l'll do some pics when its finished if l can figure out how to stick 'em on here! :blink:

Cheers Ken s

Yeah she freaked a bit when she first saw the size of the hole l cut out of the wall below the screen ........ l had explained to her about the size but she has trouble visualising things......

but she is ok with it now as it only will protude into the room .3m .....even had me a bit concerned for a start but it should blend in ok once its painted etc, this is the only option l had to run the drivers l have as there was'nt sufficent room in the attic ceiling space due to a dormer window

l'll do some pics when its finished if l can figure out how to stick 'em on here! :D

Cheers Ken s

I am so glad you are into the build stage ken s. Not long now till I have an IB buddy :P - guys this one will have double the impact of mine and I can't wait to hear it in action!! :P:P

Yes, pics of build process obligatory :blink:

l'll do some pics when its finished if l can figure out how to stick 'em on here! :D

Cheers Ken s

You can post them here:

DTV Forum - Attachments

And then copy the shortcut into this thread.

:blink: BluRay & HD DVD players are essentially 1080i machines. They simply insert an extra (copied) frame to make the output 1080p - so zip viewing difference over 'bog standard' 1080i

Peter Gillespie

Actually, HD DVD and Blu Ray are stored on the disc at 1080P. The machines just break up the data reading alternating 540 even/odd lines. The copies inserted are to achieve a 3:2 cadence for 60Hz output.

Norpus, yes mate l cant wait either.it's been a long time coming hey :blink:

My brother among others think l'm totally mad l think even though l've explained to them about how ib's function etc ........we're a dedicated lot are'nt we! :D

Preacher .thnx for that mate, l'll give it a whirl soon ...Cheers Ken s

Guest S.D.Jones

Misinformation galore in this thread! What's so hard about deinterlacing SD and then scaling the output to 1080p? Nothing, this and many other units are capable, and that's all it's claiming to do.

And then this

a) FTA TV will never broadcast 1080p

B) BluRay & HD DVD players are essentially 1080i machines. They simply insert an extra (copied) frame to make the output 1080p - so zip viewing difference over 'bog standard' 1080i

a) relevance?

B) ??? Do you guys just make this stuff up?!

I don't have a VP30 but I was under the impression this could deinterlace SD and scale that to 1080p too? I'm sure that's what the product marketing claims.

Damn, thats me out.

Is there a lower model that offers similar functionality?

How about the $1,799.00 STRDA5200ES ?

The DA3200ES receiver accepts 1080p video and eight channels of uncompressed audio from Blu-ray and other HD sources. Equipped with two assignable HDMI inputs, this unit also up-converts composite, S-video and component video sources to HDMI, minimising the number of connections between the receiver and display.

The 3200ES also decodes a multitude of the latest audio formats and also comes with two assignable HDMI inputs, three component video inputs, three coaxial and five optical digital inputs, as well as five inputs and two outputs for AV, and four inputs and two outputs for audio.

Anything else I can do for you :blink: ?

Austen.

I actually did follow the link through to Sony's website. I'd say that the $1700 receiver is in my price range.

However none of these new receivers support Dolby Digital HD and DTS TrueHD do they?

Anyone have any idea when recievers will be coming out that support the HD Dolby and DTS formats?

I think I may just buy the STRDG700S + SAVS300H CINE700S and then upgrade to a better receiver when true HD ones are available.

http://www.sony.com.au/homecinema/catalog/...ategoryId=22836

*EDIT* Link doesn't go straight to the product.

Anyone know if they sound good in a 3x4 metre room?

I can't seem to find any local shops with them in stock to test them out. Also can I get stands for the surround speakers? I may just suckat web browsing but I can't find any mention of stands for them on Sony's site.