Sign in to follow this  
RabidWolve

Bravia X To Launch Soon?

where from and how much?

how long is the warranty?

cheers adn well done!

Sony Central.

$4900. Standard warranty is a poor 1 year, but I extended to 5 for $179.

Sony Central.

$4900. Standard warranty is a poor 1 year, but I extended to 5 for $179.

I purchased the 46" X Series for $6,110 + $40 delivery from Sony Central at World Square. It arrives tomorrow :-)

Saw the X Series last night a Sony Cantral Chatswood. Stunning. V series looks great, but X series had a sparkle/clarity in the picture.

Impressed.

D

I have just been up to Sony Chatswood (Sydney) for a look. My impressions only - expect that your ones may well be different.

Overall very impressed with the screen. Staff helpful, store not crowded. Viewing in well lit store during daytime.

(Further comments continue on post #213 below)

40" + 46" X series sitting next to old v series (old V ticketed at $3200 3299)

46" = 1270*730mm, Stand base 485mm wide (measured with tape measure), 49kg

40" $5499 (No haggle sell at $5100) 46" $6999 (No haggle sell at $6499)

Warranty "Bing Lee Warranty" (in a Sony store ?!? :blink: - I guess it is just the same insurer) $230 for either screen (5 year). Sony warranty "too expensive"

Running on 720p input from chinese "HD" player (strange format). Didn't seem to be an upscaling player but I could be wrong.

No discrete on/off power on remote - staff unsure if the panel supports discrete on/off codes at all

Remembers last AV input

Forgot to see if there are set buttons on the remote for discrete AV inputs (Edit -> No, just cycles)

720p source:

great blacks (note I didn't really have a reference to compare against)

Crisp very sharp display that was noticeably sharper than the old V next to it

Pixel structure only visible up very close to screen

It does seem to show motion artifacts however - difficult to spot given most of the demo is slow moving panning shots. Also unable to tell if this was a result of the original picture / encoding (I am very fussy with this having spent most of my life glued to a PC CRT monitor playing games).

Looks like peering through a window. Stubble on faces, fantastic detail in forest shots - all great.

Not shimmering like the plasma screens do up close.

SD source: It really shows up the faults in the broadcast. The Ch 9 SD morning stuff ranged from quite good, to very poor (especially logos (jagged edges, blurred)). This was even at a 3-4m viewing distance. I am quite sure that this is simply a very detailed display showing up every wrinkle in the image. Again, felt I was seeing motion blur (but again obviously this was subject to the broadcast). Especially in fast panning shots. Dont think it would really bother me watching tv BUT might bother me playing games.

No real HD tv being broadcast to watch, but am sure it would have been great.

Re compatibility with pc - supposedly full 1080 1:1 pixel matching (not entirely sure the salesperson knew what I was asking about here). Similar to US model specs, not european on this issue. [Edit : See Below for more comments on this -> they were not correct]

Dead pixel warranty - "find a dead pixel in the first two weeks, we'll swap the panel"

I really need to see some sport and DVD's on the screen - will return to do this.

Hope this is of some help.

J.

Forgot to add - SXRD was due "in december"

[Edit Addit]

Regards PC maximum resolutions:

The 46" X Bravia (and I presume 40") manual states the maximum input is:

1360 * 768 (Horizontal Freq 47.7 Vertical Frequency 60)

This is the same as the UK screens (46x2000 UK Manual - see page 44 of 52)

I watched a bit of a DVD (superbit 5th Element) Unscaled

Contrast / Blacks / Colours good.

The clarity of the screen did not detract from the SD DVD (despite it being obviously less sharp than a 720p input).

The big turnoff was the judder evident on panning of the camera - very noticeable to me [edit ends]

Great comments Scapel.

Question: is the X series going to be "too good" to watch normal SD broadcasts on? Maybe that superceed V at $3200 is looking like a smart buy?

This is a key issue I want to get my head around - as stated above, as displayed the image is simply stunning. But it will be used everday to watch all sorts of stuff in the family room.

D

Great comments Scapel.

Question: is the X series going to be "too good" to watch normal SD broadcasts on? Maybe that superceed V at $3200 is looking like a smart buy?

The current v40 is excellent buying at that price. Still one of the best TV's in the 40-42 inch range.

It's been out less than a year and used to be $5999 or so.

The current v40 is excellent buying at that price. Still one of the best TV's in the 40-42 inch range.

It's been out less than a year and used to be $5999 or so.

When I get back to Sony I will compare the V (40") and the X (40" + 46") for the SD broadcast. (See below post #213)

The 46" X certainly was not something to brag about on the SD feed (can imagine that one would be thinking 'why did I pay so much for this crap" at some stage or another).

However, with HD tv hopefully improving (esp ABC on 720p), HD DVD, Blue Ray, HD gaming consoles and a PC, there are plenty of reasons to want a 1080 resolution screen.

I figure that this will be the screen for me once we finally finish painting the new rennovations and carpet the lounge. The 52" would be great, but the $9000 or so is rather steep.

Good thing is that this screen should make a nice PC screen as well - great for the office computer!

Even convinced the current wife that there should be a powerpoint up the wall. :blink: , and that she had no say in this purchase :D

J.

Ahhh, new toys

When I get back to Sony I will compare the V (40") and the X (40" + 46") for the SD broadcast.

The 46" X certainly was not something to brag about on the SD feed (can imagine that one would be thinking 'why did I pay so much for this crap" at some stage or another).

Well, in my experiences (not much of it) I ended up with the V. The 2 main inputs I use is Foxtel and the PC. As we all already know, Foxtel isn't the best quality and I doubt it will change soon, so I kinda figured, the lower resolution panel would be fine for now.

Worse comes to worse, if broadcast quality changes for the better soon, I can start saving up and move the current panel to the bedroom :blink:

I have to say though, the default automated settings on the V is utterly shite for Foxtel. After some tweaking, you can get acceptable settings for it. I was pretty shocked when I first plugged it in on Foxtel and I think that in the shop, there's not much SD loving as it doesn't show off the quality of the panel. (Feeling much better now)

I can understand that the X series would not be the best for SD so I settled for something that is just a little better than current instead of getting something that is great for the future (or now elsewhere in the world) Saved some money in the meantime too :D

Saw it on display at sony central at murray st perth and I think I've pretty much made up my mind that this will be the one to get for me. Been dealying and delaying and I think this one is it I guess otherwise I'll never end up with anything.

I must say that pictures on the net don't do it justice. Looked a lot better than what I saw on the net, quiet happy with the look actually.

If there's a group buy being organised anywhere please let me know as I'm very interested in it.

Had the 40X a few days now, so I've been able to give it a decent run and play around with the settings and try various SD and HD sources.

Short version: absolutely brilliant. Best sub $5k screen I've yet seen in the 37-42" class.

Even the minister for war and finance loves it.

I'll post a detailed review later.

Please note that this was just listed on the UK forum

"Bloody hell, this TV has come down in price of around a grand in a month or so! Scary..."

and that is pounds Not dollars.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread....83&page=239

It appears sharp are about to ship their new 1080 series in the UK at a substantial price difference and Sony are going to have to compete. Also the new sharps quote 4ms (6ms panel + some circuitry to enhance it). This will be better for sports fans.

42" 46" 52"

http://www.sharp.co.uk/Product.aspx?ID=1111

http://www.sharp.co.uk/Product.aspx?ID=1110

http://www.sharp.co.uk/Product.aspx?ID=1109

expect some discounting as we go into xmas!

(so maybe now ISNT the time to buy an Xseries)

I went back and had a bit more of a look at the Bravias.

Firstly 40" X vs old V (price $3299, not $3200 by the way)

On SD input the X does show up the faults of the broadcast more than the V. It is subtle, and best seen when viewing objects with fixed borders (eg channel 10 logo) - where you can see the steps in the edge of the circle (ie the X showes the 'jaggies' that are lost on the V). You really have to be looking for it, and standing within 1-2m of the screen.

It was impossible to compare colour / contrast as the screens are not calibrated to a fixed standard - the X had a better contrast range and colours appeared brighter - but this may just be the settings.

Regards PC maximum resolutions:

The 46" Bravia (and I presume 40") manual states the maximum input is:

1360 * 768 (Horizontal Freq 47.7 Vertical Frequency 60)

This is the same as the UK screens (46x2000 UK Manual - see page 44 of 52)

I watched a bit of a DVD (superbit 5th Element) Unscaled

Contrast / Blacks / Colours good.

The clarity of the screen did not detract from the SD DVD (despite it being obviously less sharp than a 720p input).

The big turnoff was the judder evident on panning of the camera - very noticeable to me (not to the wife).

Obviously the SD picture is not a patch on the HD one, but this is to be expected I guess.

The quality of the SD was way below that of my 68cm Samsung 4:3 CRT tv at home.

The remote uses an AV input cycling button, and there is a menu to jump between them. Not sure if you can hit a specific av input button to choose individual inputs (say from a universal remote).

*** Does anyone know if it is likely that one can get higher PC resolutions that what the manual states ?? ***

J.

Please note that this was just listed on the UK forum

"Bloody hell, this TV has come down in price of around a grand in a month or so! Scary..."

and that is pounds Not dollars.

(so maybe now ISNT the time to buy an Xseries)

Dunno, my quick guesstimates on the coversion rates suggests that the x series has been released here at the newer lower price points. In fact they appear to still be cheaper than the reduced UK prices. (talking street price btw)

But you're right, the new sharps will set the cat amongst the pigeons if they are any good!

*** Does anyone know if it is likely that one can get higher PC resolutions that what the manual states ?? ***

J.

Wouldn't you just be able to send 1920x1080@60Hz (i.e. 1080p) using a DVI to HDMI cable? I can't see why not.

KDL 46X2000 Review

As my 9831 panel is still 2 weeks away so I thought Id have a close look at the new X just out, in case it was a Philips killer... but I have to say I feel even better about the Philips 9831 now I’ve seen it.

I drove 40Km & demoed the new Sony 46" X on Thursday night at Sony Chatswood and spent about 45 mins with it. Sales guy Winston was very helpful. They’ve sold 9 panels since last week, incl 3 off the receiving dock before they had unpacked one for display. So that’s why prices are so high on launch!

Firstly, its looks great. The 46X is set up next to the new 40X and next to that the old 40V on special for $3299. Then the S with its grey case and poor black levels (don’t buy that one). Overall the V and both X panels looked really great on 1080 demo feed, especially the X although you do have to watch for a while to see the extra detail offered by the full HD. This Sony 1080HD demo production is really supurb although mostly made up of static images to let you drink in the colour and detail, and I would love a copy that’s for sure. Really, 1080HD is unbelievable in detail and clarity. The silver border bexel on the X comes up better than I thought, although IMO a black bezel would be better. Really fine pixels on the X that you virtually can’t see even up close! Great blacks and brilliant, saturated colours.

For the record, I noted the KDL 46X2000 store settings

(note may not suit in the home)

Backlight 9

Picture 90

Brightness 50

Colour 50

Neutral (backlight?) setting

Sharpness 50

Noise reduction: Low

Now the bad.

Movement. I cant believe how this ‘top’ new panel can be so poor involving any movement! Skin tones when still are great and then go quite pasty when moving, even slowly on the Sony HD demo. But only very brief shots of this are available. The panel just doesn’t seem to refresh fast enough on movement. And I mean even minor camera movement = softness and blur.

Then the SD DVD acid test. My test disc was Super Speedway (1997). They have this disc in the Sony store for demos and I didn’t need to bring it in! It’s one I know and has some great action pics mid way through with the Imax camera on board the cars, and I used it on the Philips to test its SD performance because that is the acid test for everyday viewing until HD comes on the scene properly in video libraries and FTA TV.

Result: Very poor SD performance, so poor I was quite shocked and couldn’t believe it. Chapter 6, Indy car in pits, closeup on driver, white decals on Red paint. Really bad jaggies. Camera pans or zooms slightly and what seems to me as visible motion blur. I was frowning and saying something is wrong here! This is supposed to be the best panel on the market? Two salesman attended to the problem, initially said “it’s a ‘very old recording that Imax disc…! I said guys, that’s why I brought it in with me, because I have seen it playing almost perfectly on CRT and another LCD panel (explained 9831 etc). They seemed a tad surprised at that but I was being honest with them. Even the colours were not clear and crisp, and not a patch on its previously brilliant HD colours and contrast. The first 30 seconds in the barn scene, and blur was apparent. Even judder as the car flashes down the straight from side on. Then my favorite Chapters 10. and Chapter 14, the white edge lines on the edge of the track at 200mph onboard IMAX camera were so jaggy I could see them standing 3m away! All the on-car shots have the “Energiser” and other logo moving the whole time and is a perfect example of what I believe is unacceptable performance. All bright edges looked like fine stairs on this DVD. Vibration of front suspension is just blurry. It is not the DVD. It’s big format (3 x the size of 35mm) Imax production 332 feet per minute (actially 70mm film turned on its side) and is made for screens 6 storeys high. The information is there and I have checked it on CRT and Plasma and the 9831 Philips LCD where the colours and sharpness make you think its actually HD.

They fiddled with all the settings, and there was no joy to be had with the Sony DZ720 player. Whilst HDMI connected, they stated it was “by far not their best player” so they changed it to ‘a much better player” Sony DVP-NS92V with $399 ticketed price. Again experimented with all available output options – and it seemed actually worse than the DZ720. “Ok well there is a better player we would like to try but we dont have it.” How much I asked? $2000! Forget it! A $400 player should be fine.

Over to the built in HD tuner. Again disappointment. FTA SD and HD TV is very soft looking and ads I know too well looked soft and lifeless. Noise reduction did not affect any improvements. In the end, they actually agreed with me - its FTA and SD performance was poor, worse than CRT, and emphasised this panel was primarily designed for Blue Ray and the future.

So that’s my review, as honest and plain as I can report it. The 46X seems to be really bad right where the Philips 9831 shines and beats all other current 40/42” panels also. And if Sony can’t build one that works all around, SD and in full HD, who can? Even though the Philips is ‘only’ 1366x768, I'm more convinced than ever the 9831 is the best all round HD panel at the moment, and I would encourage detailed testing of the X like I did to make sure it meets your needs. The sales guy Winston had to agree "it is now where near as good as CRT but everyone wants a flat panel". Full HD panels still have a lot of R&D to do.

My ratings, IMO -

Case and looks: 10/10

1080HD (static) Images 10/10 the best I have seen.

1080 movement: 7/10 -not a lot on the test disc and I would need to see more to be sure.

DVD (SD) colour and sharpness: 4/10 (and I would give the Philips 9/10 in comparison)

DVD (SD) movement: 0/10 (and I would give the Philips 9/10 in comparison)

Yes it’s that bad on the setup I viewed. Sorry if it upsets people but I decided if this is the best Sony can do on working with even DVD then others should know about it. Surely it cant be Sony’s $400 DVD player so please don’t trot that one out. This was in Sony's store.

Oh, way back in the thread someone said the Philips is a POS. Well, it does a lot of things brilliantly especially general FTA TV and SD DVD's much better than the 46X, you’d better eat your words or prove me wrong!

Well it must be really really bad, because I was appalled at the quality of SD DVD on the Philips! And that was on a mid range Philips DVD player, so no need to trot out any excuses there either. It was the worst motion artifacting I've ever seen on any display device, and I've seen plenty.

Good review Jones's

I have watched SD on the Sharp 46" 1080 and the problem is the same with SD content on a HD panel. The problem lies with SD 576 line upscalling to 1080. The scallers usually have an issue trying to deal with this.

From what I have seen of the X series, performance is totally the best of any panel I have encountered. My Opinion would be that it is the best I have seen. Placing it below the Philips, is wow, a pretty strong statement. I think the Philips is fabulous, but in true HD, no where near as good as the Sony X.

But two things need to be remembered here - The Philips is lower res, so mapping 576 data to its 1366x768 panel would be easier than mapping it to the X's panel of 1920 x 1080. This is obvious as the panel would need to fill in less "gaps" so to speak. So yes motion blur and artifacts would be less visible on the Philips than the Bravia X.

Secondly the X is a true product of the future. It is a TV that has been designed with PS3, Blue Ray, 1080 HD transmission in mind.

IT has not been deisgned IMHO for SD viewing. Sure this is probably what 99.999999% of people will do with it today, but it is the first gen of TV for tommorow's gen of people.

For people who are going to mainly watch SD or FTA HD of which most is upscalled and not tru HD, I would suggest a 1366x768 panel until the rest of their hardware and source units are in the majority of 1080i or HD standard.

Jones's with all you review, could I ask at what distance you viewed the X. From What I saw in Sony Central at Chatswood because of the size of the place and where it was when I went (top shelf to the right) you really coudn't get futher than about 1-1.5m away. Which is not the ideal viewing distance for a screen of this size. You really need to be minimum 2.5m - 3.5m away in witch case many artifacts would not be visible.

In conclusion my opinion if you can not compare the X to the Philips. Two different TV's, tailored to two different solutions, of which for the 1080HD camp, the X wins hands down. For the Normal Home viewer with a combo of FTA HD and majority SD viewing, Philips or Bravia V would be the winner. Possibly slightly in favour of the PHilips.

So I believe we have two clear winners - Just a matter of deciding which horse race your backing !

KDL 46X2000 Review

Interesting results. I have this disc and have just tested it with the 40X (note - not the 46) and the picture is outstanding, totally different to your result.

There must one or more critial settings which differ.

Some setup tips - set sharpness to 42 - this is the neutral setting - no sharpening or softening.

Also did you note whether Edge Enhancer and Detail Enhancer were on?

And which DRC mode was set?

Also - theres a setting called Picture mode, which defaults to Vivid. This needs to be changed to Standard. Vivid looks hideous.

Then the SD DVD acid test. My test disc was Super Speedway (1997). They have this disc in the Sony store for demos and I didn’t need to bring it in! It’s one I know and has some great action pics mid way through with the Imax camera on board the cars, and I used it on the Philips to test its SD performance because that is the acid test for everyday viewing until HD comes on the scene properly in video libraries and FTA TV.

Don't you mean litmus test as in litmus paper.

KDL 46X2000 Review

Now the bad.

It's funny how people perceive the same things so differently. I actually took the time to look at this panel (in company of the dutchess) as well a couple of days ago and mostly came to different conclusions. We spent about an hour in the store.

When I walked in a HD free to air show was being displayed and I was literally shocked by the brilliant quality of the picture including the black levels, which IMO are superior to the Philips 9831. Having said this, I like the PQ of the 9831 very much.

In relation to HD - I think the set has no peer - I watching the above mentioned free to air program (with David Rayne in it, not sure its name?) and it was like watching the through a class window! The color and clarity were gob smacking. Even the dutchess commented on the PQ which is really a big thing trust me :P There was no 'softness' at all, quite the opposite in fact.

I then asked to view free to air SD, and depending what was being displayed the PQ was 'good' to 'rubbish'. It clearly however was not the fault of the panel, it definitely was as a result of the quality of the transmissions, and the panel via its 46 inches (@ 1080 lines) magnifying the quality of the feed. Put sh*t it and get sh*t out I suppose :blink: I did noticed (prior it being pointed out b y the sales rep) that many of the clips from overseas (as I watching various news feeds at the time) were of a very poor quality. When the clips reverted back to Aussie material the quality noticeably improved - from sh*t to good. Skin tones were very natural IMO, on par with the 9831.

I asked if they had some material that would show how the panel handled fast moving images, and they produced the same DVD you mentioned. Again your comments surprise me. Admittedly I only watched various chapters for a total of approximately 5- 10 minutes, but I did not see any of the problems you mention? Maybe it was because I was focusing on other areas, keeping a look out for motion blur (in the tree lines etc) of which could not see any and what the overall quality of the image was, bearing in mind the TV was up scaling a 576 rez image to 1080.

This TV is one designed for the future, in that it has a 1080p panel which, will display your xbox 360, PS3 and HD DVD and HD FTA in all their glory :D It's a shame that we are only getting relatively limited HD (1080i) FTA at the moment, but I suspect that this will improve as time passes, with the availability of cheaper HD STB's and further panels incorporating HD tuners.

I still waiting to view the newly arriving Sharps before I make my final purchasing decision.

Definately more in the "YEY" camp for the X than the "NEY"

It really comes down to what you will be viewing - and if you are looking short or long term. A TV I believe is still a long term investment, and HD will only improve - it wont go back. MAnufacturers will push it, otheriwse there is no need for people to upgrade, and if we all dont go and upgrade, they will have no sales because our current equipment does the job fine.

Yes you can get 1080p PC resolutions by using a dvi --> hdmi however you may have overscan problems some can be fixed depending on the pc gfx card and the software you get. Im watching UK forums to find the best gfx card / software combination. Also if your looking at getting a dvi --> hdmi cable get one from ebay. It will cost you about $30 instead of $100+

Please share your experiences with your HTPC's and the Sony X

Regarding the demo in Chatswood Sony:

I was watching from about 3-4m away. (Poor Winston must wonder about all these people coming in and reviewing the screen)

3m away is standing next to the sales persons desk.

At just around 1+ metres the pixel structure is no longer visible.

I chose the 3-4m distance because it mirrors what we will be using at home.

The judder was evident when the panel panned across a scene - this occurred very early in the store demo of the 5th element (SD). My wife couldn't notice it at all - but then she happily still watches analogue tv on a tiny NEC with snow interference all over it at home - rather than turn on "too many boxes" :blink:

It is funny, as I was really looking forwards to this panel, but the motion blur and judder have put me off significantly.

I am now very keen to go and have a look at the Pioneer 50" 1080 screen at Len Wallis - It is way beyond what I want to spend BUT I am interested to see if the technology is better than the equivalent LCD technology. I have never been very impressed with LCD's, and I have been reminded why. I suspect that there will always be a comprimise between good HD and SD performance. The high resolution screens excell at the former, and low resolution screens the latter. I guess you have to decide which will be your dominant viewing - which is hard given the changing technology. It really supports the arguement for getting a cheaper plasma for now and upgrading in several years to a true HD screen (under some new technology).

The other factor is that you would NOT want to put this screen anywhere near where a child could touch it - the plastic screen is very soft and the panel 'glows' underneath the slightest pressure. If there is any chance that something might be pressed against the panel, then look elsewhere (shudders with thought of coming home and finding pencil mark across screen :D )

J.

Summary

Pro:

Good Blacks

Good Contrast

Elegant Look

HD looks absolutely stunning.

Good Colours

Cons:

Expensive

Poor handling of full screen motion (panning)

Ghosting (minor)

Plastic screen

Makes SD look poor (not necessarily the fault of the panel - more just the incredible detail of the fine pitch screen). As one drops down in resolution (eg the V Bravia), then the SD picture improves as the softness of the lower resolution hides any edge detail that looks poor on the X.

I would really like to see the screen with a PS3 - because the ghosting may be more of an issue for some games. I guess we just have to wait till Sony stops treating Europe and Australia as backwaters.

Overall the V and both X panels looked really great on 1080 demo feed, especially the X although you do have to watch for a while to see the extra detail offered by the full HD. This Sony 1080HD demo production is really supurb although mostly made up of static images to let you drink in the colour and detail, and I would love a copy that’s for sure. Really, 1080HD is unbelievable in detail and clarity.

Just be aware, the Sony Chatswood demo is 720p apparently - not 1080p (or i). At least you are getting an idea of what ABC tv might look like.

It is not possible to demo a native 1080 upscaled or uncompressed feed (unless a tv station chose to broadcast with a larger bandwith) [Edit: I suppose you could take a laptop in - but you would have to be able to use a DVI connection and have some stored HD footage]

I guess that this means that the screen could look even better on a native 1080 feed.

Roll on HDDVD (not likely to be seen in the Sony store I guess) and BlueRay. Ditto the playstation3

J.