Sign in to follow this  
RabidWolve

Bravia X To Launch Soon?

No it won't be exactly the same model. There'll be a slight variation between countries due to the TV tuners (especially ones with built-in Digital HD Tuners). But I can't verify any NZ models or what their differences are. Go to their website for more details: http://www.sony.co.nz/
I thought that would be the case, hopefully we get digital tuners as well. Thanks. :blink:

I've been lurking here for a while but this is my first post. I thought you might be interested in a price check on the Bravia X Series 40 inch.

I just paid $4999 at the George St Sony Centre.

Good staff and service. Organised delivery to my home tonight.

They have them in stock now.

Well done Adje..

(I'm a long time lurker as well)

I trust you will post your thoughts in a day or so.. :blink:

Cheers

Will post a review in a few days.

My main concern looking at it in the shop was the trully crappy rendition of advertisements broadcast in SD. When actual programming came on after the ads the display was much better (less visible compression) but this set does show up the faults of free to air broadcasting.

I compared it alongside the Bravia S in the shop. To my eye the S looked far less sharp. Whereas on the X I could see the stubble an actor's face the S smoothed over the image giving it a pastey look.

Hi all (first post)

I've been looking for a 1080p panel for a long time...but I'm not keen on blowing a hole in my pocket (I guess I'm in the wrong thread then :P ).

So I was thinking that a group buy would be my best option.

Where are they organised? Are there any local/Aussie sites where group buys are advertised?

Other than that...how long until these sets drop in price? My ideal TV would be a good picture quality 1080p screen (don't we all want that? hehe) that's probably 40"...but I'm thinking they are too expensive at the moment.

What should I do? My main usuage of it is with my Xbox 360 and video games etc. I currently use a 47" Rear Projection screen in SD or a 22" CRT PC Monitor for HD with my 360 (switch between them). Would it be wise to purchase a Dell 2407 and use that for the time being until 1080p screens drop in price? That way I can use the Dell for other PC use after I finish using it with my 360 etc.

My other option would be to purchase a 32" LCD for about $2k...but then I'd feel short changed when 1080p TVs come down in price (as you can't really sell TVs anywhere can you? do they go for a good sum on ebay?).

Thanks for reading! :P (sorry if this is in the wrong place, but it's related to the X series Sony TVs...in that I'd LOVE to own one :blink: ...plus the group buy reference etc.)

edit: Oh, I should also note that I'm a student, hence the stingyness :D but I've saved a lot of money and love games, hence my interest in a good TV.

I've bought two 24" ws LCD's for PC's at a hot price through those guys - Mar05 and Apr06. It might be worth floating a buy on their forums... I'd be in for the ride.

A scart-component adaptor is the same as a scart-RGB adaptor as it's only sending a colour signal from a pin connection (scart) to a rca connection. The adaptors don't have audio connections though (none that I have seen anyway).

Sure TV inputs can usually handle component through scart but sources like DVD players, STB's rarley support component through scart.

Not saying they don't exist just that most don't support it. :D

Newer equipment, say in the last 1-2 years are supporting it more and more but previous to that it wasn't a standard. And by "not many adapters available" I meant useable adaptors component adapter without audio are just about useless. :blink:

Doc

That's what audio cables are for!

I saw the 46" inch X-series today at Sony Central.

Awesome on a 1080i source.

It looked pretty bad on a 576p source though. Although to be honest, I'm not sure if 576p ever looks good after just looking at a good quality 1080i.

The main problem though with the Sony 1080i demo is there is almost NO motion, lots of stills, and VERY slow pans. Wish there was a decent 1080i demo (e.g. action film sequence).

I have been reading some reviews of Sony S, V and X Series LCDs and alot of them say the scaling of an SD picture on these HD screens looks a bit crap. I notice the same comment here about the X Series. Is this an issue that can be explained technically (ie physical reason why SD picture no good) or is it just that it appears crap next to an HD image. I will be using some SD sources (WA regional DTV is SD only) so I want a screen that can diplay them well, as well as being able to handle xbox360, PS3, Blue-Ray, HD PC input etc

Basically your running a low resolution (SD is transmitted at 720x576 pixels (note this is an anamorphic 16:9 resolution)) through a high resolution screen.

The closer you get to the display (and I have seen this a few years ago at SMPTE on a plasma), the more artifacts you can see that are caused by upscaling the picture and the low bitrate of SD as well.

I am keen to buy a Sony Bravia X 40", and a Brisbane retailer has agreed to $4,999 (a little reluctantly, but based on posts here - so thanks); extended warranty is a further $440.

I have a Topfield Masterpiece that I will need to connect, and seek advice as to how best to do this?

I understand RGB over Scart is my best option, but I am being led to believe the Bravia does ont have RGB inputs? Is this true? It has a PC type input that is called RGB, but I suspect this is something different?

All that being the case, perhaps my 'least worst" option is then Component over Scart? I was keen to avoid this - as there is that documented potential bug with Topfield's Component signal.

Many thanks in advance for any guidance you can offer.

Michael

PC RGB is analogue RGB so it could work theoretically, but it may not scan below 31KHz, and I assume your Topfield doesn't scan as high as that, so it may not work.

You could use an RGB to Component transcoder if this was the case, but it could be cheaper to buy a properly functioning Topfield replacement rather than mess around with that.

I am keen to buy a Sony Bravia X 40", and a Brisbane retailer has agreed to $4,999 (a little reluctantly, but based on posts here - so thanks); extended warranty is a further $440.

I have a Topfield Masterpiece that I will need to connect, and seek advice as to how best to do this?

I understand RGB over Scart is my best option, but I am being led to believe the Bravia does ont have RGB inputs? Is this true? It has a PC type input that is called RGB, but I suspect this is something different?

All that being the case, perhaps my 'least worst" option is then Component over Scart? I was keen to avoid this - as there is that documented potential bug with Topfield's Component signal.

Michael

There's no RGB input. There are component inputs and PC input (VGA, HD15). Please see my previous post for the full specs.

Michael

I have the Masterpiece as well and agree the component via SCART appears to have issues - I tried this method to connect to my Pana Plasma without much luck. I use the S-video connection at the moment and that provides good PQ - I wonder if this would be the same connecting to the X via this input?

There's no RGB input. There are component inputs and PC input (VGA, HD15). Please see my previous post for the full specs.

I saw the 46" X Series and Sony Central in Sydney yesterdat and I'm hooked. I'm going to head down there this weekend and get one. I'll post a review and the price next week.

I'm replacing my 36" Philips CRT TV. I connect Foxtel IQ and my DVD player via SCART to SCRAT using RGB output on both devices and the picture is fantastic. I use some expensive SCART cables that will now be useless! My only concern is that the SD picture from Foxtel & DVD is going to be worse on the X Series. :blink:

What's the "best" way to connect Foxtel IQ to an X Series?

My DVD player doesn’t have HDMI, so I guess Component to Component would be the best solution.

TIA.

Does anyone know if the X series are available in any other stores than Sony Centrals like Harvey Norman etc or the timeline on when we will start to see them in other retail stores?

Does anyone know if the X series are available in any other stores than Sony Centrals like Harvey Norman etc or the timeline on when we will start to see them in other retail stores?

I think Myers were supposed to have them...

Picked one of these up today.

Very happy so far, has excellent range of connections.

One of the most impressive attributes is a total lack of screendoor effect, due to the small pixel size and high aperture ratio.

Digital tuner did a scan and picked up all the channels quite quickly.

It allows you to skip unused inputs - a good feature that a lot of sets miss.

Xbox 360 at 1080i looks outstanding.

It allows you to skip unused inputs - a good feature that a lot of sets miss.

The V series does this aswell..

Congrats on teh new purchase.