Sign in to follow this  
RabidWolve

Bravia X To Launch Soon?

I was just in at Sonex a Sony dealer in Hobart.

the RRP of the 40" Bravia X is $5500

I think the 46" was about $6600

He did mention that he could probably do 10-12% off those prices.

Still pretty expensive, but not entirely out of range of my ability to save.

What other models should I look at to compare picture quality in the 40"-46" 1080p panel market?

What other models should I look at to compare picture quality in the 40"-46" 1080p panel market?

I think sharp will be releasing a 46" 1080 model... not sure when though

Those prices seem too much to me for the novelty of 1080p - esp if you need to buy a player to output it as well. Is there much in the way of titles available now or in the near future.

Those prices seem too much to me for the novelty of 1080p - esp if you need to buy a player to output it as well. Is there much in the way of titles available now or in the near future.

PS3 games, I dont know which launch titles will be 1080p though.

Thanks voigtstr,

I have also been following the UK AVFORUM posting on the Bravia X-series (200+ pages).

From the UK reviews - should be fantastic for those of us wanting to setup HTPC's

Sony in Sydney would still not confirm the release about three weeks ago (All they could say was - "suggest that you phone back in 15days". Which at least provided an expectation.

So - its fantastic that they are finally confirmed for release here in Aus.

Perhaps with cash and some haggling we can achieve semi-reasonable prices (note: they seemed quite expensive in the UK when first released).

I am also in Hobart.

Did SONEX indicate the price of the 52"?

Does anyone know if the 52" is to definitely also be released in Oct?

It will be interesting to price match with Harvey Norman and Clive Peters.

If anyone gets specs on the local version - please post them.

Note the Sonex prices are already slightly lower than the prices quotes elsewhere in the DTV forum.

Bravia X pricing

Bravia X RRP Pricing.

40" - KDL40X... - $5499 vs $5,500 - 10% = $4,950

46" - KDL46X... - $6999 vs $6,600 - 10% = $5,940

52" - KDL52X... - $9999 vs $???

The Bravia Sony New Zealand site has been updated, including pricing for the new S Series:

KLV46S200A 46-inch S-Series BRAVIA LCD TV

RRP in NZD$, GST Inclusive $5,999.95

KLV40S200A 40-inch S-Series BRAVIA LCD TV

RRP in NZD$, GST Inclusive $3,999.95

KLV32S200A 32-inch S-Series BRAVIA LCD TV

RRP in NZD$, GST Inclusive $2,699.95

KLV26S200A 26-inch S-Series BRAVIA LCD TV

RRP in NZD$, GST Inclusive $2,199.95

allproducts_s-series1_bnr.gif

Arrggh... I've done my tax, and have $$$'s to spend on new TV...

I just wish that they'd release these suckers. I've love the 52 inch, but I think my budget may be pushed for a 46 inch. :blink:

Made some enquiries (re the X series) around the Hobart stores today.

Expectation is a mid Oct release of the 40", 46" and the 52".

Initial prices (Cash or Credit card):

From SONY CENTRAL (Liverpool St - Hobart) quoted:

KDL40X2000 $4,800

KDL46X2000 $6,100

KDL52X2000 $8,700

Also:

The SONEX store in Hobart quoted:

KDL46X2000 $6,000

Note:

Harvey Norman and Clive Peters will both be expecting them to be in stock in October, however no prices are available at this time.

Also received some spec sheets from the SONEX store - key items were as follows:

Screen Size: 52"; 46"; 40"

Integrated HD Digital Tuner: Yes; Yes; Yes

Resolution: 1920 x 1080p; 1920 x 1080p; 1920 x 1080p

Multipicture: Yes; Yes; Yes

HDMI Input: x2; x2; x2

Component Input: x3; x3; x3

Teletext/Cinema Drive/Light Sensor: Yes; Yes; Yes

Power Consumption: 330W; 260W; 220W

Dimensions (with stand): 1415x890x384; 1262x795x322; 1111x717x322

Dimensions (without stand): 1415x827x123; 1262x734x121; 1111x657x121

Weight (with stand): 54.5 kg; 41kg; 35kg

Weight (without stand): 47 kg; 36kg; 30kg

Don't get too excited, here is a review from an owner of the X series, also quite a few negative comments on different issues.

Have to see it with my own eyes of course, but if this is true, all you sports fans out there, LCD is NOT for you. btw I am a fan of the Bravia V except for how it handles sport

Quote:

Originally Posted by dogastus

Thanks for your comments, chambeaj. Can I ask why you only had the X briefly? Was there an issue with it that you didn't like?

1. The set does something strange with SCART RGB signals. Basically the picture from either an NTL or Sky+ STB looked very soft (almost blurred). Upon switching the STB to output CVBS the picture looked sharp. As soon as the STB was switched back to outputting RGB the picture was all soft/blurred again. I tried both an NTL Pace STB and a Pace Sky+ STB. Same results for both set-top box's and regardless of which SCART input was used.

The only way to get SCART RGB to look sharp was to turn on the DRC (resolution enhancement) feature. DRC has some unpleasant side affects with certain types of scene!! Also it should not be necessary to turn on DRC. The basic scaling should have produced a sharp clear image.

2. The haloing problem which has been discussed on these forums many times shows very badly with SD signals (look in the NTL or Sky EPGs - its not a minor fault imho).

3. There is a problem with fluctuating contrast/brightness levels - something funny going on with the picture engine imho. I've seen this problem before on the Hitachi 9700 plasma. Basically the shot switches from a darker scene to a lighter one, then say half a second later the brightness/contrast suddenly jumps up again. Its almost like some kind of dynamic contrast adjustment which is out of sync. i.e. the adjustment is being mistimed. The thing is all the DRC, gamma, dynamic contrast features etc. were all turned off. The problem only affects pictures from either the NTL or Sky+ box on the SCART inputs. HDMI was absolutely fine.

4. Imho the SONY sets suffer from noticeably more motion blur than competitors such as Philips (particularly on horizontal pans). Although the new Philips 9731 has its own problems, try watching the preview material on BBC HD on the 9731 and then on the X-Series. The 9731 on pans/motion has a sense of contrasting/sharp/fluid motion which makes the X-Series look poor in comparison imho (and its worth pointing out that ClearLCD is inoperative with HD signals!!).

5. Whilst the SONY does have decent blacks and good viewing angles for an LCD, nighttimes scenes imho look flat and lifeless (lack of energy in the colours, lack of picture depth, poor contrasting - simply cannot hold a candle to the likes of a decent CRT or a good plasma such as the Fujitsu 58 series).

6. Generally not impressed with the sets colour fidelity/contrasting/picture depth.

Although the new Philips ClearLCD sets have (imho) their own set of problems take a look at a static scene on Sky Sports HD on the 1366x768 Philips 42PF9831 and compare it with the SONY X-Series. The Philips shows significantly more picture depth, more vivid colours and better contrasting.

Looks like EYO have the X series listed on their website now:

ETA on the 46" and 52" is 7 days, and the ETA on the 40" is 5/9/06. <-- not sure how accurate they are though.

Links:

40": http://www.retailing.com.au/prod_144153_pr...KDL40X2000.html

46": http://www.retailing.com.au/prod_144136_pr...KDL46X2000.html

52": http://www.retailing.com.au/prod_144115_pr...KDL52X2000.html

I'm sure the same panels will eventually be released by Samsung, but no official word yet as far as I'm aware.

Doesn't Sony use Samsung panels? Is this the same with the X-Series?

This is a big misconception. Doesnt Sony Use Samsung Panels. Or, Should we be asking "doesnt samsung use Sony Panels ?????"

This has been posted on this forum so many times. NOW HERE IS THE TRUTH.

This is the facts - and you can confirm by reading press releases from both Sony and Samsungs Global corporate sites.

Sony and Samsung entered into a joint venture to produce LCD sheets to be used in LCD TV's. This is a Joint Venture.

ITS NAME IS S-LCD, not Sony, Nor Samsung, So Sony does not use Samsung Panels, and Samsung does not use Sony Panels. THEY BOTH USE S-LCD Panels.

The Raw Panels are produced - And, they are actually produced to differing Spec as requested by either of the two Joint Venture Partners. They are not the same.

Once Produced raw sheets are sent to Japan in the Case of Sony, to to Somewhere in Korea for Samsung.

At that Stage each brand goes about enginerring and building their own TV's, with their own proprietary electronics and engines driving the things.

The Sony is a Sony. And the Samsng is a Samsung. Regardless of the RAW LCD panel used inside.

Hey Lets call a Porsche a Bosch because, don't they use Bosch's ABS system ???

Here endeth the lesson !

Forgive my ignorance, but I would have thought the panel would have been one of the main aspects in determining the quality of a set? I understand the drivers and circuitry definately would have some effect on quality however I would have thought it would have been a secondary effect?

Doesn't Sony use Samsung panels? Is this the same with the X-Series?

Hi all.

No it want be, have been told by a sony rep that all sony crt factories in japan have now been converted to lcd production and that all new models will have japanese made panels.So it will be interesting to see what the new sony made panels are like.He also told me they will be released around start of november.

Hi all.

No it want be, have been told by a sony rep that all sony crt factories in japan have now been converted to lcd production and that all new models will have japanese made panels.So it will be interesting to see what the new sony made panels are like.He also told me they will be released around start of november.

He's bullshitting you mate, see posts above you. Both samsung and sony panels are made at their s-lcd plant in korea and then put together in there respective countries. Most quality differences in LCD come through there program (eg scaling) and backlight devices (eg LED's ect). In conclusion panels are not made in japan by sony.

Forgive my ignorance, but I would have thought the panel would have been one of the main aspects in determining the quality of a set? I understand the drivers and circuitry definately would have some effect on quality however I would have thought it would have been a secondary effect?

Yes and no.

A four Cylinder engine block can deliver only so much performace. Add better air filters, extractors, efficent exhaust system and a good engine management system, using premium unleaded petrol and the results will be far different from the same block running with the bare basics.

The Panel quality is of uptmost importance - but without the neccessary building blocks driving it to full potential it would possibly be the best built panel, but may give terrible PQ as it is not beeing driven correctly.

Like getting the latest Intelprocessor then slow ram, slowhard drive and a motherboard with poor architecture - you have the best soul, but no body to drive it

Im just full of anaecdotes tonight ! (did I spell that right)

He's bullshitting you mate, see posts above you. Both samsung and sony panels are made at their s-lcd plant in korea and then put together in there respective countries. Most quality differences in LCD come through there program (eg scaling) and backlight devices (eg LED's ect). In conclusion panels are not made in japan by sony.

Correct- the rep would be towing the Sony corporate line I would suspect. Sony have had a real issue in convincing the trade that the product is a Sony produced product. Sony is held in such poor light by the trade that most retailers would say and do anything to pull them down - hence why they spread the word that Sony is simply a Samsung- Thats a load of Croc and nothing further from the truth.

As stated above - Panels are notmade by Sony in Japan, But Bravia TV's are made in Japan, as a tagline somewhere might say "from local and foreign sourced components" :blink:

I can't wait to see the new models. I was almost contemplating a second V40 for another room in the house, but I might wait, look at the new X, and if its that much better, I will buy it, if not Ill hunt for another V40 on runout and get that on the cheap

Your right about all previous models of bravias these were made in korea.However all new bravia models will be made in sony factories in japan.

Your right about all previous models of bravias these were made in korea.However all new bravia models will be made in sony factories in japan.

Um.......er..............WRONG..............

Look I luv Sony - and I am a "fanboy" as some would say, but someone has serious misguided you. Don't believe that local Sony rep. He is probably feeding you the propaganda he himself has been led to believe by his local management who either dont have a clue, or the guy is not cluey enough to do his own research and read his own companies press releases - which with thanks to the power of the internet we all can do so very easily

All their Panels above 23" Since the launch of Bravia have originated from the SLCD plant in Korea. With assembly and final production occuring in Japan.

This is also for the new line of S, V and X series.

Dont believe what that Sony rep tells you - Visit Sony.net and read the official corporate press releases out of Japan.

Not only do they come out of SLCD, but Sony and Samsung have just signed another JV MOU to build an 8th Gen Panel facility through SLCD which will also be in Korea.

LMT

Um.......er..............WRONG..............

Look I luv Sony - and I am a "fanboy" as some would say, but someone has serious misguided you. Don't believe that local Sony rep. He is probably feeding you the propaganda he himself has been led to believe by his local management who either dont have a clue, or the guy is not cluey enough to do his own research and read his own companies press releases - which with thanks to the power of the internet we all can do so very easily

All their Panels above 23" Since the launch of Bravia have originated from the SLCD plant in Korea. With assembly and final production occuring in Japan.

This is also for the new line of S, V and X series.

Dont believe what that Sony rep tells you - Visit Sony.net and read the official corporate press releases out of Japan.

Not only do they come out of SLCD, but Sony and Samsung have just signed another JV MOU to build an 8th Gen Panel facility through SLCD which will also be in Korea.

LMT

8th gen plant I think goes online in the next month or two. Just wish I had the cash to buy (oh well atleast the price will be cheaper by the time I can afford).

Can anyone verify if the Bravia X's can display 1080p without overscanning?

Is there a gaming mode to bypass overscan if its normally used for hdtv input so that every pixel sent from the PS3 will be displayed as intended?

I emailed Sony on this and received the following reply;

"The local KDL46X2000 was announced last week and is slated for release in Australia in October, I do not have a more specific date than that at this stage."

Whilst out the other day the existing 40" Bavia V Series is now priced at $3499. Quite a drop from $5799 only 2 months ago in the same store - Hardly Normal.

X Series is 15/16 October, the new V and S series are here this week 1st September,

See http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtopic=40468