Hey Guys

Just in case anyone is still keen on buying the old models (as it looks like they are about to become)

Dick Smith in Melbourne CBD has

40" x series $3739

46" x series $4504

as part of a 15% off lcd sale. A bit of haggling could make these very affordable.

Edited by Becksdu
  • 5 weeks later...
  • Replies 846
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow. Guys, am I dreaming or what? The new SXRD will be here in Australia? The same one that will be released in US this fall? http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores...552921665156111

Could anyone please confirm? If that one (XBR5 SXRD) in US is the one the article is talking about, I will definately buy one! :) I'm so hyped up OMG

In the other SXRD threads we have no confirmation of that (if I'm reading correctly)

The XBR5 model looks un-necessarily expensive compared to the A3000 (or whatever it is) it's clearly better but not that much better.

3300$ US for a 60" A3000 or 5000$ US for a 60" XBR5, both LCoS displays, both with 120hz and 1080p60 over HDMI and component (apparently)

If i'm reading right....

Had a look at the current model 52" X series today to see how it coped with SD DVD fed via component. It looked surprisingly good at 3m on SD DVD - however - the face tones seem to fluctuate between smooth & grainy. It's as if the upscaling engine is trying to even out the pixels and it's drifting in & out. I was looking for problems so the average Jo Blo probably would not even notice. Anyone else notice this phenomena? The panning was not smooth either which i think is a common complaint for this generation of screen (3:2 pull down?). Again the average person wouldn't notice. If the pricing was more competitive then it would be a goer.

• 2 months later...

well bought a 46inch X series.. arrived yesterday and i love it!!

is there any options to fine tune the tv to get better quality??

Also is there any recommendation for dvd players?

Should i get a dvd player that upscales to full HD? or does the tv do that automatically?

Or wait till blueray dvd player come down in price?

I've just tried hooking up my PC to my X series, and it mostly works, with one problem - the brightness and contrast settings seem to vary up or down depending on what I am doing on the computer. For example, if I am just at my desktop, or just playing a video, then the brightness and contrast are very low, but if I have another window open (like a properties window), the brightness and contrast are fine.

Is this likely to be a problem with the TV having wierd auto-detect settings, or an issue with the video card on the PC?

Check your settings on the TV for the PC input; turn off all the video-related enhancements like Black Enhancer, Contrast Enhancer etc. And don't use either the "Standard" or "Vivid" settings, as in those modes the Bravia will auto-dim the backlight when little content is on the screen (this is the firmware cover-up for mura effect that was introduced with the firmware upgrade for the X2000 series).