Bravia X To Launch Soon?

Just paid for my 46" X. Got it at Harvey Normans in Perth for $5500 including Warranty extended to 5 years. Tried JB and GoodGuys but this was the best I could do. Just waiting for stock and I hope it will not be too long. I have a 2700 Yamaha that upscales to 1080P and it's all ready to go

• Replies 846
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Mike - you need to set your display res to 1360x768 or thereabouts. The panel should scale it full screen. Not sure whats going on with the colours - sounds like a pin might not be connecting at one end or the other. Try another cable if u can. BTW - you can't get 1080 via VGA. 768 is the max. need to use DVI for full 1920x1080.

Hi Crayons

Many thanks for the response. I have got a great quality display now. My settings are:

PC out to monitor -

- 1024 x 768 @ 60Hz and 32 bit colour (as advised)

Bravia settings:

- Menu/Picture

- Display mode - Text

- Backlight - 6

- Picture - 60

- Brightness - 50

- /Others

- Start auto adjustment. This does a good job of the fine tuning. I played around and only made a mioor adjustment to one setting.

Hi All,

I am a complete newbie when it comes to these high end gadgets, so please bare with me.

I just bought a 46" X series from Rick Hart in Perth ($5319 + $400 for warranty) and wanted to know if I need a High Definition DVD player to fully utilise its potential? or because I have the HD TV a standard DVD player will be sufficient

Thanks for your help.

Hi All,

I am a complete newbie when it comes to these high end gadgets, so please bare with me.

I just bought a 46" X series from Rick Hart in Perth ($5319 + $400 for warranty) and wanted to know if I need a High Definition DVD player to fully utilise its potential? or because I have the HD TV a standard DVD player will be sufficient

Thanks for your help.

You will certainly enjoy DVDs on it. But nothing compares to HD on this display. I've a Toshiba HD-E1 HD-DVD player and am very happy with, so I'd highly recommend one of these.

HD-DVD is also region free so you can order disks from Amazon/Dvd Pacific, etc. Although not all movies are available on all formats.

The alternative is Blu-ray, which has dearer hardware, and has region coding. So a player here may not play discs from the US. Some US discs are multiregion discs, so they would play on an oz player.

To be honest if you're an early adopter in Australia, you really need a player that plays US discs, as there is very little software available here. So that means either a HD-DVD player, or an imported blu-ray player (such as a US/Jap PS3, or other blu-ray player).

thats a good price. Im in adelaide as well, just wondering if the $5185 included delivery and wall mount if u got it. Im looking to buy the tv in march/april, I wonder how much I could get it for then...

Delivery was additional $28 and GG (Edwardstown) sell a generic wall mount for $100 and can arrange an installer for $55/hour.

Have just discovered this site - we purchased a Sony KDL40X2000 from the Good Guys in Adelaide (Mile End) on the 30th December 2006 for $3,909 - I think we got a bargain by the sound of it. Took it home with us then and there. It is an amazing television and the HD Picture is incredible. I agree that the tennis should be in HD. Just wondering about the settings. We are not technical at all and I was wondering if there is any optimum settings - we are just watching it through the tv - we have no DVD or anything else connected. We have tried messing around with the vivid/custom/brightness etc but I'm sure there is someone who has already worked it all out. We are extremely happy with the picture that we have but were just wondering if there is something else we should be doing other than using the factory settings. Thanks in anticipation.

Petmic10s settings seem to be highly regarded and are the ones I am using at the moment.

Yes I agree his settings are pretty good . I am intrigued by the fact you can employ someone in the US to calibrate you Screen and wonder what the cost is . Petric does not say how much but refers to it being worth it if you have the means !

• 5 weeks later...

Hi all.... Just purchased a KDL40X2000. VERY IMPRESSED!!!.....Just a bit of help if anyone can lend a hand..

Now heres a challenge. If I connect via VGA to the lcd,buy the HD/DVD player for the 360 and download(via xbox live) the app for displaying full 1080p will This tv display the full 1080p over the VGA?????

Before I get slammed for not staying on topic I apologise in advance!!!! ( the reason for this is for some reason im not allowed to start a new thread .

BTW havent seen any cloudiness or bleed so far....not sure if it make a difference but it was manufactured December '06

360 LOOKS GREAT ON THIS PANEL!!

Now heres a challenge. If I connect via VGA to the lcd,buy the HD/DVD player for the 360 and download(via xbox live) the app for displaying full 1080p will This tv display the full 1080p over the VGA?????

Nope, it wont display 1080p over VGA. Cant remember what the maximum is but look in the back of your manual as it lists all the resolutions (sorry don't have my manual handy).

Finally after tweaking the settings mostly the ones supplied by Petmic, I'm getting a sensational picture.

Just 1 little bugbear....how do I select my digital favorites? In other words how do I place the preferred channels into that Digital Favorites box?

help!

skull

Congrats .. how much was it for ?

Thanks - it was (allegedly) $5000 for the panel, $300 for the extra 4 years and a power surge protected board thrown in. I said to the guy that was what I wanted and would pay $5300, I didn't care how he wrote it up on the invoice/his commission.

The screen has been on layby for somebody else since beginning of Jan, so I am assuming it will be an oct 06 build or similar. I am now praying that there is no cloudiness when I turn it on. If so, it is going straight back - that is unacceptable in a $5k appliance.

The screen has been on layby for somebody else since beginning of Jan, so I am assuming it will be an oct 06 build or similar. I am now praying that there is no cloudiness when I turn it on. If so, it is going straight back - that is unacceptable in a $5k appliance.

Sincerely hope it's a goody for you Attila! If not... see you over in the cloud forum tomorrow. :-)

Thanks Crayons - thats one thread I never want to post in :blink:

It is funny that I did end up buying one though - I wouldn't buy a car which had a reputation for bad paint or faulty engines, but I am willing to drop $5k on a TV that might have image problems - weird. Then again, I can't get the PQ of this set out of my mind - I think the local Sony Central store was getting sick of me going in there every lunchtime to perve :D

I have grabbed the suggested settings from the AVS forum for my 360 and will see how I go.

Hi all.... Just purchased a KDL40X2000. VERY IMPRESSED!!!.....Just a bit of help if anyone can lend a hand..

Before I get slammed for not staying on topic I apologise in advance!!!! ( the reason for this is for some reason im not allowed to start a new thread .

BTW havent seen any cloudiness or bleed so far....not sure if it make a difference but it was manufactured December '06

360 LOOKS GREAT ON THIS PANEL!!

Yeah, it won't display 1080p as mentioned above, VGA will only display a max of 1366x768 from memory. You would then need to configure for FULL to have this scaled to fill the screen or you will get black borders around the edges with 1:1 pixel mapping. From what others have said on this forum the component connection gives an excellent PQ at 1080i with the Xbox, but I haven't heard anyone with a HD-DVD player comment yet (maybe that's because they haven't been released here yet?). Otherwise you will have to wait for the revised Xbox360 to be released with HDMI output to drive your panel at it's native 1080p resolution!

Please post your comments up on this thread about your experiences with the Xbox HD-DVD player on this panel, as I'm sure most of us would like to know how good it looks...

Thanks - it was (allegedly) $5000 for the panel, $300 for the extra 4 years and a power surge protected board thrown in. I said to the guy that was what I wanted and would pay $5300, I didn't care how he wrote it up on the invoice/his commission.

Thats a good price.. yeah i hope you dont have any cloudiness as well...

if i went and bought the bravia 52x screen, how much time will i need to put aside to configure the screen or will it look great out of the box

It definitely won't look great out-of-the-box. You'll need to start with the settings posted in this forum, and tweak to your personal prefs from there. You'll have to tweak the settings for each type of input as well. You'll probably need to spend ~ 1 hour.

i see prices ranging upwards of $4600 (a few posts back), looks like averaging about $$5200-5500 including 5yr warranty

so what is the best price for the 46X at the moment, and can the reciept be posted up or emailed to me. looking at getting one within the next couple of days please.

thanks in advance

ok.. picked up the 46x tonight from HN cannington, gets delivered tommorow, have made notes of the settings and will give them a try.

btw.. the price was $5500 all up with extend warranty and delivery (it's actually for my father in law.. he'll be a happy camper tommorow night!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!