Bravia X To Launch Soon?

Hi Russwill... Unfortunately my Toshiba DVD player was pre HDMI. Best connection can only be made via component. But I'd be interested in what settings people have found work best on the X series specifically for DVD input... :blink:

I notice you mentioned the bleeding effect? Mine is November 06 build and if i was going to be really picky then i could say that there is some bleeding but minimal. I really only notice it when selecting between inputs. I have heard people complain about blurring but i have not seen any evidence of it with this unit. Have watched sports etc and looks fine...

Yeah any other x series owners that have perfected their settings it would be good to hear. I know it comes down to personal preference though.

• Replies 846
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But I'd be interested in what settings people have found work best on the X series specifically for DVD input... :blink:

These settings were posted earlier, specifically for DVD input

Sony KDL46X2000 SD DVD

Picture Mode Custom

Backlight 4

Contrast 85

Brightness 54

Colour 50

Colour Temp Neutral

Sharpness 45

Noise Reduction off

DRC off

Advanced Settings

Black off

Advanced Contrast Low

Gamma Medium

Clear White off

Live Colour

Colour Space Normal

White Balance

Red Gain 0

Green Gain 0

Blue Gain 0

Red Bias 0

Green Bias 0

Blue Bias 0

Detail Enhancer Low

Edge Enhancer Low

So Crayons, what is the verdict on your "blotchy" screen? Mine is a Sept 06 build and appears to be OK. Nothing so prononced as the pics shown in the other post, but I wouldn't say it's perfectly uniform. I'd say >95%. No bleeding from the edges and worst only when selecting between external video sources, but no evidence when watching content. In fact I'm very impressed with the black levels on this unit. If it wasn't for my black stereo speakers sitting beside my screen, I would be convinced that you couldn't get any blacker!

Sounds like you have a goody. Mine is an August build and the patchiness is bad enough to bother me in dark scenes. My retailer is going to swap it for me this month so I'll see what transpires with a newer one. Mine is Aug 06 build. For the record I think Sony are in up to their armpits on this issue. I think over 2,500 posts on this thread attest to that: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=748779

Sounds like you have a goody. Mine is an August build and the patchiness is bad enough to bother me in dark scenes. My retailer is going to swap it for me this month so I'll see what transpires with a newer one. Mine is Aug 06 build. For the record I think Sony are in up to their armpits on this issue. I think over 2,500 posts on this thread attest to that: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=748779

Thanks Stephen Muir for those settings. Appreciated.

Crayons you are right, the topic of bleeding is a hot potato on this forum. Is the bleeding through the picture it self or on the dark edges?

Hi Guys,

I've read alot about these TV's from a TV/DVD picture quality point of view, but I would mainly be interested from a gaming perspective Wii, PS2 and later PS3. How are they for gaming? Any motion blur or smearing? How does a PS2 via component look? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Stephen

Hi Guys,

I've read alot about these TV's from a TV/DVD picture quality point of view, but I would mainly be interested from a gaming perspective Wii, PS2 and later PS3. How are they for gaming? Any motion blur or smearing? How does a PS2 via component look? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Stephen

Have hooked up my son's PS2 via component, and it looks good. Remember it is only outputting at 576i, so it's nothing spectacular. My 360, on the other hand, looks absolutely fantastic at 1080i via component, and with 1:1 pixel mapping turned on, you'll go a long way to see something better.

Hi Guys,

Regards,

Stephen

The Wii looks as good as you could possibly get on the X and I can only comment using the standard composite connection. I'm expecting a slight improvement once I get hold of a set of component cables for the Wii.

Hi 1019sea... would like to hear your thoughts on the Oppo unit you are running. In particular, I would like to know the following:

1. Do the up scaling capabilities of the Oppo better the internal up-scaling functions of the Bravia X?

2. Does the Oppo make a noticable improvement on the X compared to a non up-scaling DVD player in your opinion?

3. I have heard that it all depends on the quality of the source material. Is this the case from your experience? What types of movies scale better than others in your opinion?

4. What would you recommend. Holding out for a BR or HD-DVD unit, or purchasing the Oppo now and waiting to see which format wins?

Any comments would be appreciated...

Hi Guys,

Regards,

Stephen

Thanks for the feedback guys, so it sounds like a winner for not just console games, but PC games as well.

Regards,

Stephen

I compiled previous suggested settings and put them in a spreadsheet (7 different suggestions for variety of inputs), dont know how to post here but can send by email

Not sure if you will get this but can you please email the spreadsheet of x series settings (I have a 46") to aspira@netspace.net.au

Cheers

Just a couple of requests if anyone could point me to the right threads

Just installed a 32" s panel for my mother are there any optimum picture settings

also I am just about to buy the 46" x I am sure there is a post about settings for this as well

The other one is I remember a post regarding motion blur and it was to do with

bob and weave interlacing. I think it basically was talking about problems with pal

encoded discs and the need to have a dvd player that you could change the synchro

I think it was called cinema mode. I have a very high end but now dated Pioneer DVD player

that will need to be replaced and I need to be sure I am buying one that will fit the bill.

Thanks for any advice or help

These settings were posted earlier, specifically for DVD input

Sony KDL46X2000 SD DVD

Picture Mode Custom

Backlight 4

Contrast 85

Brightness 54

Colour 50

Colour Temp Neutral

Sharpness 45

Noise Reduction off

DRC off

Advanced Settings

Black off

Advanced Contrast Low

Gamma Medium

Clear White off

Live Colour

Colour Space Normal

White Balance

Red Gain 0

Green Gain 0

Blue Gain 0

Red Bias 0

Green Bias 0

Blue Bias 0

Detail Enhancer Low

Edge Enhancer Low

Ive noted that your backlight and contrast levels are pretty high. I've also noted that this panel isn't that bright and some of the details can be lost in black in some scenes.

Does everyone with this panel have to run the contrast and backlight at high levels to get a vibrant and detailed picture?

thanks

I've orded a 40" X series on the 6th Jan. Today is the 15th Jan. Any recent news on stock shortages or anything like that?

Sony are running behind on a number of orders and have been playing catchup since late last year.You should have it soon though...

Hi guys

Thought I would pass on my experiences of buying an X series last week in Perth - for all those out west who may be interested.

I have bought the 40 X series (September build) but I have no issues (yet) with backlight bleeding or any cloudness. I have been impressed with the picture and I am pleased with my purchase.

These are the prices I was quoted which may help

JB $4100 Warranty $369 - no stock

Good Guys $4500 Warranty $500 no stock

HN $3900 warranty 4300 - no stock

Rick Hart $4000 Warranty $300

Retravision $4600 Warranty $700 !!!!!!!!!!!

Sony Central $4500 Warranty $345

I went with Rick Hart as opposed to HN as they had stock and could be delivered the following day. The most outragous comment was made by the salesman at Retravision when I questioned him on why the were so expensive "were not going to go out of business to get a sale" well they will if they dont get sales in the first place. They also had the highest ticketed price of $5400, the others ranged from $4300 at HN to £4999

Hope this helps people get a better deal

cheers

Den

Guest Wongstar
I've orded a 40" X series on the 6th Jan. Today is the 15th Jan. Any recent news on stock shortages or anything like that?

Ok, my big box came into shop and I just picked it up (17 Jan). Although I have a Subaru Forrester wagon, I had to put the box on its side. Fortunately it was a short drive and I drove slowly...

Box net weighed 43kg. Thats heavy stuff. I managed to dragg it into my house. Lolz.

Time to fully unleash 1920x1080 gaming (WoW:BC) and HDTV Aussie open!

HDTV Aussie Open? You will be sorely disappointed if you think you will be watching that in anything that resembles HDTV.

Good old Seven and their poor HD offering! That travel loop thing they have cracks me up.. never seen as much mush. And to think they have the thing playing in stores to demo HD. Sheesh. No wonder the HD take-up rate is slow.

New to this forum and have found it very helpful in deciding what TV to buy. Purchased 46X on the weekend at GG in Adelaide. Paid $5185 plus $1085 for Sony HD DVR 250GB. Delivery was to be this week but they rang me yesterday and said that there is a hold up and will have to wait another 2 weeks. Can't wait to get it.

The Wii looks as good as you could possibly get on the X and I can only comment using the standard composite connection. I'm expecting a slight improvement once I get hold of a set of component cables for the Wii.

Hi 1019sea... would like to hear your thoughts on the Oppo unit you are running. In particular, I would like to know the following:

1. Do the up scaling capabilities of the Oppo better the internal up-scaling functions of the Bravia X?

2. Does the Oppo make a noticable improvement on the X compared to a non up-scaling DVD player in your opinion?

3. I have heard that it all depends on the quality of the source material. Is this the case from your experience? What types of movies scale better than others in your opinion?

4. What would you recommend. Holding out for a BR or HD-DVD unit, or purchasing the Oppo now and waiting to see which format wins?

Any comments would be appreciated...

1. The upscaling in the Oppo I believe is definitely better. The 1080p output from the Oppo really makes an improvement on the picture.

2. See above, but the upscaling for me is definitely better than my old non-upscaling Pio.

3. Have only watched some of the more recent stuff lately, like Superman Returns and Pirates of the Carribean 2, and both look fantastic. I think it's basically the better the source material, the better the end result.

4. I originally purchased a HD-DVD drive - the Xbox 360 add-on, and have since added the Oppo. I only bought the HD-DVD as it was a low price way to get into Hi Def movies, otherwise I think I would have just got the Oppo and waited until later in the year. Not that I don't think HD-DVD is great, but basically I would have had a hard time convincing the chief financial controller that spending over $1K on a new dvd player was a good idea.

Does anyone have anyexperience with using the VGA PC input? My laptop doesn't have any other output and I would like to use the Bravia as a display for my iTunes library. When I connect I get a small window displayed and the colours are blended to a yellow/red/brown mush.

Does anyone have anyexperience with using the VGA PC input? My laptop doesn't have any other output and I would like to use the Bravia as a display for my iTunes library. When I connect I get a small window displayed and the colours are blended to a yellow/red/brown mush.

Hi Mike - you need to set your display res to 1360x768 or thereabouts. The panel should scale it full screen. Not sure whats going on with the colours - sounds like a pin might not be connecting at one end or the other. Try another cable if u can. BTW - you can't get 1080 via VGA. 768 is the max. need to use DVI for full 1920x1080.

New to this forum and have found it very helpful in deciding what TV to buy. Purchased 46X on the weekend at GG in Adelaide. Paid $5185 plus $1085 for Sony HD DVR 250GB. Delivery was to be this week but they rang me yesterday and said that there is a hold up and will have to wait another 2 weeks. Can't wait to get it.

thats a good price. Im in adelaide as well, just wondering if the $5185 included delivery and wall mount if u got it. Im looking to buy the tv in march/april, I wonder how much I could get it for then...

thats a good price. Im in adelaide as well, just wondering if the $5185 included delivery and wall mount if u got it. Im looking to buy the tv in march/april, I wonder how much I could get it for then...

I know JB in Melbourne(Chadstone) will do them for $5000...

Guest Wongstar
HDTV Aussie Open? You will be sorely disappointed if you think you will be watching that in anything that resembles HDTV.

Boo, Aussie open is indeed SD. Phooey... channel 7, get your act together!!