Bravia X To Launch Soon?

Size does matter & I'd rather have 4" more than 4" less. That being said it's up to you. As for the backlighting - if you decide to go for this model get the shop to set it up in store first & check for yourself before leaving the shop. There are plenty of happy users of these TVs around so i assume the people with problems here are unlucky.

• Replies 846
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Depends on ther viewing distance but the 46" @ 4.0m is perfect and gets better up to about 6m. Anything less than 3m while being easily watchable might be pushing it and might be a touch close.

As if anyone is going to unpack a 46" or 52" X series in a HN, GG, Myers or GB's, and expect to watch it in a darkened room. Get real. I've bought a heap of HT/HiFi stuff and I have never taken a piece out and assembled it before I bought it. That's just not realistic. You have to show some faith in what you've bought.

This is just a small glitch in the Sony and looks confined to units made in September/October. Even then some sets made in these months are perfect. Despite the light patch issues this display is absoulutely awesome, and is 10 times more impressive than what I thought it would be.

Dancing with stars last night on 7 in 576p was amazingly clear to the point where you could see skin pores the trowl lines from where the makeup had been applied to Natalie's (Rogue Traders) face. I remember someone reporting once that female television performers would hate HD broadcasts because it would show every crease and line. Now I know what they meant.

Just to remind any owner that has a patcy background: Even if it doesn't worry you that much and you have no intention of sending it back, ring Sony and tell them of your issue. It's a phone call or an email...Simple and takes 5 mins. Check out their website.

Thanks to you guys, I settled on a new 40X which should be here in the next couple of days. So I am trying to plan the cable lay out up before it gets here as I know I will rush it if I wait until the panel arrives. I was hoping to get some cabling tips from guys who have already tried the many possibilities;

1. How to best connect the 40X to the SD DVD recorder? Audio and Video? The Sony video recorder has inputs for composite video and optical audio. The 40X spec sheet indicates that the composite video out is on the side (not the rear). Has this caused wiring issues for any one? ie; does it look ugly?

2. I have a Dennon receiver amp and won’t ever be using the inbuilt speakers in the 40X. So I was intending to use the Optical output. Is that how others have done it? Any problems with synchronising video and audio?

All input welcome

:blink: cheers :D

As if anyone is going to unpack a 46" or 52" X series in a HN, GG, Myers or GB's, and expect to watch it in a darkened room. Get real. I've bought a heap of HT/HiFi stuff and I have never taken a piece out and assembled it before I bought it. That's just not realistic. You have to show some faith in what you've bought.

That's just what I did at Sony Central (although not in a darkened room). Debated with myself beforehand about whether it was worth it & decided that it was better than the trauma of getting it home & then being disappointed & having to return it. Sony Central were happy to take my $ & didn't complain about the request. BTW - I teed it up beforehand so they were prepared & made it at a quiet time of day.

Thanks to you guys, I settled on a new 40X which should be here in the next couple of days. So I am trying to plan the cable lay out up before it gets here as I know I will rush it if I wait until the panel arrives. I was hoping to get some cabling tips from guys who have already tried the many possibilities;

1. How to best connect the 40X to the SD DVD recorder? Audio and Video? The Sony video recorder has inputs for composite video and optical audio. The 40X spec sheet indicates that the composite video out is on the side (not the rear). Has this caused wiring issues for any one? ie; does it look ugly?

2. I have a Dennon receiver amp and won’t ever be using the inbuilt speakers in the 40X. So I was intending to use the Optical output. Is that how others have done it? Any problems with synchronising video and audio?

All input welcome

:blink: cheers :D

1. The side connections are recessed so depending on where you stand the cables might not be visible.

2. Optical out won't disable the inbuilt speakers. Should not be any synch problems.

I also have the 40 and a Denon amp - I am using Optical - and it works fine. I also use optical into my amp from my Mac mini - which is what I have a EyeTV digital TV HD tuner in it - and also play DVDs and CDs through.

All works well. I did have to have analog RCA cables for one connection for a few days while I got a longer 3.5mm to optical cable - and WOW did I notice the difference in quality when I was able to keep it all digital!

Great choice in tellie too mate! You'll love it I'm sure!

Guest Piquard
I also have the 40 and a Denon amp - I am using Optical - and it works fine. I also use optical into my amp from my Mac mini - which is what I have a EyeTV digital TV HD tuner in it - and also play DVDs and CDs through.

All works well. I did have to have analog RCA cables for one connection for a few days while I got a longer 3.5mm to optical cable - and WOW did I notice the difference in quality when I was able to keep it all digital!

Great choice in tellie too mate! You'll love it I'm sure!

I have a new 40 inch X eries, just wondering what settings people have used fo Foxtel satelite picture???

Woul appreciate some thoughts.

Guest Piquard

I have a new 40 inch X eries, just wondering what settings people have used fo Foxtel satelite picture???

Woul appreciate some thoughts.

Given you pay a 12.5% buyers premium and delvery and only get 12 months warranty, the $4500 that someone paid (with extended warranty) seems a MUCH better option than the current 3999 + 500 (premium) + $70 delivery

(link)

Of course, one is the 46" version while one is a 40" version, but yeah.. i still don't think i could spend that much on a tv without a 5 year warranty.

Hi Everyone,

This is my first post but I have been following this thread very closely, so much so that I decided to buy a 40X based on what was said here :D . I had looked at a few other LCD panels but I wanted a good quality 1080 display and it seems many people here are very happy with the Sony Bravia X product.

Thank you to everyone for the info and the massive help on getting a good price, just after looking at what prices other people here were getting at places like Harvey Normans I was able to pick my 40X up for $4280 which while maybe not the very best price anyone has got I still think it was a good price for Perth. I would have never thought of asking for over $1000 off RRP if I had not looked here first.

Im just about to set the whole screen up and really looking forward to it. I dont have any real HD DVD player because im waiting for the PS3 to come out which I will use for games and as my Blue Ray player, only have a stock DVD player at the moment and Foxtel.

I will try out many of the display settings that have been posted here and see if I can tweak this TV to the best of my abilities.

I have a high end gaming PC with a mid-high end video card an ATi X1950 pro which for people more familiar with Nvidia it's just above a 7900GT and can do HDCP.

Some questions I did have for people using this screen with their PC's are:

1. Do you use it as your general PC screen, if so how do you browse the net, work etc... being so close to the screen or do you sit a few meters away from it ?

2. When playing games in true 1920 x 1080 dont you find you have to set all your graphic settings right down to keep a good frame rate or is the TV doing some scaling ? l just can't imagin many video cards even high end being able to handle games like Flight Simulator X, GTR 2 or Oblivion when set to output @ 1920 x 1080 with all the Eye Candy turned on ???

Would be great if someone could answer these questions for me.

Once again thanks for all the advice that was posted by many on this thread guys. Now it's time to pull the T.V out at get it all setup :blink: . Just hope I don't have any issues like some of the light blurr I hear some people have experienced.

Cheers

Harvey Normans I was able to pick my 40X up for $4280 which while maybe not the very best price anyone has got I still think it was a good price for Perth.

Which Harvey Norman store was it in Perth?? Also was that price with the extended warrenty??

I've been looking to get either a 40X or 46X but the best price I've found so far has been $4500 for the 40X and $6000 for the 46X which judging from the forum is still high. (I really need to improve my bargaining skills)

Anyone got any idea on the best places for the 40X or 46X prices (with warranty) in Perth??

Which Harvey Norman store was it in Perth?? Also was that price with the extended warrenty??

I've been looking to get either a 40X or 46X but the best price I've found so far has been $4500 for the 40X and $6000 for the 46X which judging from the forum is still high. (I really need to improve my bargaining skills)

Anyone got any idea on the best places for the 40X or 46X prices (with warranty) in Perth??

JB hi fi in Hornsby Sydney sells 46" X Bravia for $ 5647. But need to add warranty. Hope that helps.

[snip]

Some questions I did have for people using this screen with their PC's are:

1. Do you use it as your general PC screen, if so how do you browse the net, work etc... being so close to the screen or do you sit a few meters away from it ?

[snip]

I can only comment on your first question -- I've used my 40x as a PC screen in my lounge room. Sitting about 2.5m away, the image is crisp and clear and easy to ready. The normal Windows font size is perfectly legible.

I can only comment on your first question -- I've used my 40x as a PC screen in my lounge room. Sitting about 2.5m away, the image is crisp and clear and easy to ready. The normal Windows font size is perfectly legible.

At 1920x1080 40", 2.5 m away?! Holy moley. You must have bionic eyes!

I really don't find it that usable I have to say, plus there is some sharpening outlines on text that the X applies to the HDMI input and you can't turn it off - I find that a bit annoying.

PCmon - as for your other question about resolution and games, this isn't really the best place to get an answer - you need to ask some PC geeks, but I can report that I have a notebook running a 512mb 7900GTX NVidia card and it churns out 1920x1080 respectably. Probably be best to just use the VGA in on the TV at 1360x768 anyway (unless you've got your nose up against the screen I dont think the scaling would bother anybody)

• 4 weeks later...
Anyone tried a Wii out on a Bravia X yet? I'd be keen to know how the image looks.

Hi Sep,

Have just bought a 40x2000 and also a Wii for the kids. Are currently running the Wii through the standard composite cables that came with the unit. Now you have to understand that the Wii is no competition for the likes of the Xbox360 and the soon to be released PS3 as the the Wii only outputs at 480i or 576i via composite or 480p via the optional component cables. Having said that, I was mildly surprised that the Wii is very acceptable on this TV and does display in Wide Screen, but it definitely isn't a hard core gaming platform.

My only question is whether to spend the $50 on composite cables to get 480p? But seems hardly worth it when we get 576i from the unit because of PAL...

On a different note, I'm a little disappointed that this thread has lost it's passionate momentum. I have enjoyed following this thread and has helped me greatly in making my recent decision to purchase an X series.

I had been on the fence for many months between a Hitachi 8900 plasma and the Sony Bravia 40V. I had finally made up my mind to purchase the 40V and took the asthetics and finance commitee with me. Amazing how much influence a non educated HDTV person can have on the final decision. So rather than a 40V, I came away with the 40X and am not disappointed. I was very worried about displaying SD as I have heard lots of negative comments, but I cannot complain. Watching HD (OK free to air 1080i material), most times (depending on the quality of the material being broadcast) is breathtaking!

Probably the only disappointment for me has been the quality of DVD playback. But I'm sure this is to do with my setup. The first time I put on a DVD the PQ was crap. Since then I have improved the image 100% by purchasing component cables and making adjustments on the TV. But would welcome any suggestions for further improvement.

I currently have a Toshiba SD-530E DVD player I paid $500!!! about 3 years ago as it was one of the first progressive scan DVD players on the market. Well if I output at 576p, I cannot tell the difference from interlaced, so the Bravia must already be able to upscale as good as the player.

So I am now contemplating an Oppo 980 upscaling DVD player as a replacement...

Many thanks to Vatoe for his valuable input into this thread. Haven't heard from you for sometime now. Would be very interested in hearing from other X series owners on the things they have learnt so as the newbies like me can benefit from your experiences...

I know it's holiday season so a number of you will be on a well earned break, but lets keep this thread alive!

(OK, for those that want to know how much I paid for the 40X2000 on 28/12 it was $3,800 plus an extra $160 for extended 5 year warranty via Camberwell Electrics in Melbourne. Most retailers will easily match this price without too much work. Good luck!)

Hey CuriousMind...

I too have a wii and got the component cable for my 40X so havent even tried the composite.

This should help you decide... comparison of the two with images...

http://au.gamespot.com/features/6162297/p-...2297&page=2

Thanks Crayons... From these photos, looks to make a reasonable improvement. But I would suspect that this is a comparison between 480i and 480p. Would like a similar comparison between 576i and 480p. Any chance you can post some shots up? I'm also sensitive that we are well off topic here...

Thanks Crayons... From these photos, looks to make a reasonable improvement. But I would suspect that this is a comparison between 480i and 480p. Would like a similar comparison between 576i and 480p. Any chance you can post some shots up? I'm also sensitive that we are well off topic here...

Nah... threading the cable through my HT cabinet is like keyhole surgery! It's staying there. You have the worlds most expensive 40" HD LCD screen (or thereabouts) + the very latest next-gen console and you're worried about some small change on a cable! Go on... push the boat out and treat yourself now.

Curious Mind, I too just bought a 46X and have hooked it up with a Panasonic DMR EX75 DVD Recorder. Had a little trouble getting the best picture possible. Have had to play with the settings alot. Still not sure that i have the best picture available. Agree that seeing 1080i through this panel is awesome. Cant wait to see more 1080p. Connection with HDMI makes a difference also....

Nah... threading the cable through my HT cabinet is like keyhole surgery! It's staying there. You have the worlds most expensive 40" HD LCD screen (or thereabouts) + the very latest next-gen console and you're worried about some small change on a cable! Go on... push the boat out and treat yourself now.

Yea, your right... will purchase once they are readily available. Might even purchase a "cheapie" off e-bay!

So Crayons, what is the verdict on your "blotchy" screen? Mine is a Sept 06 build and appears to be OK. Nothing so prononced as the pics shown in the other post, but I wouldn't say it's perfectly uniform. I'd say >95%. No bleeding from the edges and worst only when selecting between external video sources, but no evidence when watching content. In fact I'm very impressed with the black levels on this unit. If it wasn't for my black stereo speakers sitting beside my screen, I would be convinced that you couldn't get any blacker!

So has anyone worked out the game mode setting? Doesn't appear to be a unique setting for individual external inputs, but rather a global setting for the TV. Just wondered if this would have any detrimental effect on any other inputs? Any ideas on this one?

Curious Mind, I too just bought a 46X and have hooked it up with a Panasonic DMR EX75 DVD Recorder. Had a little trouble getting the best picture possible. Have had to play with the settings alot. Still not sure that i have the best picture available. Agree that seeing 1080i through this panel is awesome. Cant wait to see more 1080p. Connection with HDMI makes a difference also....

Hi Russwill... Unfortunately my Toshiba DVD player was pre HDMI. Best connection can only be made via component. But I'd be interested in what settings people have found work best on the X series specifically for DVD input... :blink: