Sign in to follow this  
RabidWolve

Bravia X To Launch Soon?

Info grabbed from Whirlpool forums & posted by Messiah:

Just got back from the Sony show at the horden pavillion today where they were displaying these... i have to say if sony get the price right they'll sell these suckers thru the roof.. amazing quality and with blu-ray it'd be the best thing ever...

pricing wasn't set but will be next week, due to lauch sometime soon.

------------------------

Yeah i asked the product manager and he said he wasn't sure if it was HDMI 1.3 but they do come with built in HD tuners. :blink:

Did anyone else go to this event? And be able to share anymore info.

Info grabbed from Whirlpool forums & posted by Messiah:

Just got back from the Sony show at the horden pavillion today where they were displaying these... i have to say if sony get the price right they'll sell these suckers thru the roof.. amazing quality and with blu-ray it'd be the best thing ever...

pricing wasn't set but will be next week, due to lauch sometime soon.

------------------------

Yeah i asked the product manager and he said he wasn't sure if it was HDMI 1.3 but they do come with built in HD tuners. :blink:

Did anyone else go to this event? And be able to share anymore info.

Not that the HDMI 1.3 matters. Even if its 1.1 it can still accept 1080p signals... The only thing that HDMI 1.3 does is allow it to accept the higher bit rate and more channels of HD sound. O and the different connector. So who is gonna worry about getting HD sound to the panel.

Anyways, definately looking forward to their release. but they will be rediculously priced.

Awesome news... I have been hanging for this display for months....

The guys over at the AVS forums say that these don't have HDMI 1.3 but I agree with Dritz - it's not actually of any value yet...

I'm off to London next week so I am hoping to see one in the flesh before it arrives here... very excited!

I think the X series are going to have a huge price tag when it gets released in Australia.

In Europe the 46" is €4483 and the 52" is €6999!

if sony get the price right they'll sell these suckers thru the roof..

Sony 'see' themselves as a premium company and as such charge premium price on their products.

They will never be cheap.

40s shouldnt be too bad (hopefully)

The KDL-40XBR2 & XBR3 are 3500/3700 usd rrp.

40s shouldnt be too bad (hopefully)

The KDL-40XBR2 & XBR3 are 3500/3700 usd rrp.

If that's the going price in USD, I'm scared to see what the aussie price is going to be... We always pay more for our electrical goods than the yanks.

I'm sure the Sony is awesome, but I don't think it's *that* good to justify a $5-6k panel price for 40"

Not that the HDMI 1.3 matters. Even if its 1.1 it can still accept 1080p signals... The only thing that HDMI 1.3 does is allow it to accept the higher bit rate and more channels of HD sound. O and the different connector.

Still I wouldnt mind a TV that has the latest tech in it for future complient HDMI 1.3 products. Such as the Playstation 3 which will probably the first device.

New HDMI 1.3 features:

Higher speed: HDMI 1.3 increases its single-link bandwidth from 165MHz (4.95 gigabits per second) to 340 MHz (10.2 Gbps) to support the demands of future high definition display devices, such as higher resolutions, Deep Color and high frame rates. In addition, built into the HDMI 1.3 specification is the technical foundation that will let future versions of HDMI reach significantly higher speeds.

Deep color: HDMI 1.3 supports 30-bit, 36-bit and 48-bit (RGB or YCbCr) color depths, up from the 24-bit depths in previous versions of the HDMI specification.

o

Lets HDTVs and other displays go from millions of colors to billions of colors

o

Eliminates on-screen color banding, for smooth tonal transitions and subtle gradations between colors

o

Enables increased contrast ratio

o

Can represent many times more shades of gray between black and white. At 30-bit pixel depth, four times more shades of gray would be the minimum, and the typical improvement would be eight times or more

Broader color space: HDMI 1.3 removes virtually all limits on color selection.

o

Next-generation “xvYCC” color space supports 1.8 times as many colors as existing HDTV signals

o

Lets HDTVs display colors more accurately

o

Enables displays with more natural and vivid colors

New mini connector: With small portable devices such as HD camcorders and still cameras demanding seamless connectivity to HDTVs, HDMI 1.3 offers a new, smaller form factor connector option.

Lip Sync: Because consumer electronics devices are using increasingly complex digital signal processing to enhance the clarity and detail of the content, synchronization of video and audio in user devices has become a greater challenge and could potentially require complex end-user adjustments. HDMI 1.3 incorporates an automatic audio/video synching capability that allows devices to perform this synchronization automatically with accuracy.

New lossless audio formats: In addition to HDMI’s current ability to support high-bandwidth uncompressed digital audio and currently-available compressed formats (such as Dolby® Digital and DTS), HDMI 1.3 adds additional support for new, lossless compressed digital audio formats Dolby® TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio™.

Deep color: HDMI 1.3 supports 30-bit, 36-bit and 48-bit (RGB or YCbCr) color depths, up from the 24-bit depths in previous versions of the HDMI specification.

o

Lets HDTVs and other displays go from millions of colors to billions of colors

Hmm. Even a full 1920x1080 display only has 2 million pixels.

Every single pixel on the screen can be a different colour simultaneously.

Why the need for "billions" of colours?

why want billions of colours? Are you for real?

You got a computer put the colour settings on 16 bit then 32bit (current tv's are 8 or 10 bit) and see the dif, it adds depth and contrast..

Any guesses what the 40" XBR will go for in Australia? I've noticed that the V and S series have been on sale, that should mean that the new models should be out soon. Any clue on release date?

And before anyone suggests it, I'm not buying the Samsung. That thing is hideous. As superficial as it might be, often my TV is off and I don't want to look at the ugly, gloss black, flying triangle. What was Samsung thinking?

Hmm. Even a full 1920x1080 display only has 2 million pixels.

Every single pixel on the screen can be a different colour simultaneously.

Why the need for "billions" of colours?

Offshore, the benefit of >24bit colour depths is that it increases the range of available colours to choose from which allows for much more colour accurate images. If you were to limit the size of your colour palette to the number of simultaneous colours that can be displayed at one time what do you do when you want to show a colour that isn't available in your palette?

Imagine this situation: Part of an image is in deep shadow, while the rest of the image is very bright. With a smaller colour depth you have less unique shades of black to represent the shadowed part and less unique shades of white to represent the bright part. The result would be the dark shadowed area looking almost solid black with the rest of the image being almost solid white. Increasing the colour depth provides more blacks and more whites to choose from.

Does anyone know the difference between the XBR2 & XBR3 - other than price; the comparison tool on the Sony site does not seem to show any difference.

Does anyone know the difference between the XBR2 & XBR3 - other than price; the comparison tool on the Sony site does not seem to show any difference.

The XBR3 has a black piano finish as opposed to the XBR2 which has a removable bezel which is in a range of colours.

In the US, they are identical appart from from the warranty.

Yes lots of new Sony stuff coming in the next few months. All of their new panels were listed in the brochure they handed out at their event as October, though im not sure how definite that is. No prices yet. New S and V series also.

S series is now with dark grey/black finish, still no HDMI input (that i saw) and no inbuilt tuner. V series now has inbuilt HD tuner, as well as the X series, which has the floating glass design from their old plasmas.

I think the V series is the one to go for, should come in at a better price than the current hopefully. The S series is still underspecced.

Solid review of the new Bravia X Series (XBR2) here...

WOW thats a glowing review.

Very impressive

Yes lots of new Sony stuff coming in the next few months. All of their new panels were listed in the brochure they handed out at their event as October, though im not sure how definite that is. No prices yet. New S and V series also.

S series is now with dark grey/black finish, still no HDMI input (that i saw) and no inbuilt tuner. V series now has inbuilt HD tuner, as well as the X series, which has the floating glass design from their old plasmas.

I think the V series is the one to go for, should come in at a better price than the current hopefully. The S series is still underspecced.

Actually the new S series does have HDMI. Saw it on the back of the panel with my own eyes.

And before anyone suggests it, I'm not buying the Samsung. That thing is hideous. As superficial as it might be, often my TV is off and I don't want to look at the ugly, gloss black, flying triangle. What was Samsung thinking?

See, that's where it all comes down to taste. To me, the Samsung R series TVs are the FIRST decent-looking LCDs I've seen. While most of the other manufacturers continue to indulge their 1970s silver-and-chrome fetish, Samsung is offering something different for once. And I love it.

This is great news I too have been waiting for months for this to come out. I am sure they will release soon in time for Christmas. I think on pricing the 46 is expensive but I am sure that they will release 40 and 37' models at a more reasonable price, and at the end of the day they are in a very competitive market, no matter is the panel is that good people wont buy if they feel that it is overpriced

at the end of the day they are in a very competitive market, no matter is the panel is that good people wont buy if they feel that it is overpriced

The day Sony Australia finally realises that fact, hell will freeze over.

I'm betting they still don't put digital tuners in this new batch.

I've actually already confirmed that the X and V series will have the integrated tuners, just the S series does not.

The day Sony Australia finally realises that fact, hell will freeze over.

I'd be glad if they didn't put a tuner in it. Chances are that it will lack functionality/connectivity and I'd prefer to get a dedicated STB/PVR/DVDR...