Sign in to follow this  
starsky1

Poor Scart Picture

Have Grundig Elegance mw82-210. Great set. Just got a Denon 1920 which has phenomenal sound. Bought Monster Scart lead to get the most of the picture. No good! Picture is slightly fussy and washed out. Cable cost me $130. What am I doing wrong? (currently have the Grundig connected via Scart to SVHS cable though my Yammy amp then DVD). Picture is better then the Monster.

The first thing wrong is paying for Monster Cables, when a $20 cable from Jaycar, DSE etc will be just as good. Secondly, what signal format are you trying to connect via scart? RGB, Component, S-video, composite? Make sure the signal format is actually available from the scart out and the screen accepts that format. You may also need to select the output and input signals (in a setup menu) on both devices.

It's possible you are just watching composite via scart at the moment.

The first thing wrong is paying for Monster Cables, when a $20 cable from Jaycar, DSE etc will be just as good. Secondly, what signal format are you trying to connect via scart? RGB, Component, S-video, composite? Make sure the signal format is actually available from the scart out and the screen accepts that format. You may also need to select the output and input signals (in a setup menu) on both devices.

It's possible you are just watching composite via scart at the moment.

Denon manual says the SCART video out is RGB and I've checked the menu set up which seems ok (SCART selected). Grundig manual says the SCART is also RGB. When I go to the setup menu my only option is 'VHS' or 'SVHS'. I've selected SVHS but doesn't seem to make a difference.

The Denon outputs RGB and Composite (CVBS) vis SCART, no S-Video via SCART.

Do you have a link where I can see the Grundig manual?

Does your Grundig set have one or two SCART connectors?

If you can't select RGB in the menu, then it probably doesn't support RGB and as the Denon doesn't have S-Video out via SCART, it is probably only connecting via composite (CVBS) - which I assume you see if you select VHS? That would explain the crappy PQ. If the set doesn't support RGB, your best option is what you are doing now. Connecting via S-Video cable.

the Grundig should accept RGB via all SCART inputs (but check ther manual to make sure).

Where is the signal originating from? The DVD player? Is that outputting RGB to the Denon in the first place? If not, there's your problem.

The Denon 920 is the DVD player and starsky1 said he had already checked the SCART output menu & selected RGB, that's why I'm suspecting it's the TV, although it's unusual for a European set not to have RGB input. (The other possibility is a dodgy Monster SCART cable) :blink:

Ah, no wonder I was slightly confused. Anyway I'd be extremely surprised if and Grundig didn't do RGB. I think there may be a digit missing from that model number tho, could it be MW82-2210 ?

starsky1

I have owned several Grundig TV's and RGB will work but you may have to check that all SCART inputs support it as from memory they may not.

Also make sure you tell the DVD to output RGB via the menu, not just see if it supports it. I have a Metz (now retired) DVD player that has SCART output and you have to tell it to output RGB otherwise you will get composite out.

BTW I agree with mtv, take the monster cable back and get a refund it is a waste of money.

The Denon outputs RGB and Composite (CVBS) vis SCART, no S-Video via SCART.

Do you have a link where I can see the Grundig manual?

Does your Grundig set have one or two SCART connectors?

If you can't select RGB in the menu, then it probably doesn't support RGB and as the Denon doesn't have S-Video out via SCART, it is probably only connecting via composite (CVBS) - which I assume you see if you select VHS? That would explain the crappy PQ. If the set doesn't support RGB, your best option is what you are doing now. Connecting via S-Video cable.

Think you're right about the Monster. Will take it back and maybe use a cheapy. Here are the links for the Grundig and Denon. Grundig has 2 Scart sockets.

http://partnerweb.grundig.de/internet/kund...nt/GCL8969E.PDF

http://www.denon.ca/hapdfs/dvd1920.pdf

Have Grundig Elegance mw82-210. Great set. Just got a Denon 1920 which has phenomenal sound. Bought Monster Scart lead to get the most of the picture. No good! Picture is slightly fussy and washed out. Cable cost me $130. What am I doing wrong? (currently have the Grundig connected via Scart to SVHS cable though my Yammy amp then DVD). Picture is better then the Monster.

I have a Grundig 80cm CRT TV and have also noticed RGB via SCART is a little fuzzier and less colour saturated than s-video. It's annoying, because neither sharpness or colour controls work for RGB inputs and so can't be compensated in the TV.

However, I'm beginning to wonder if the sharpness issue is because s-video and composite have been receiving artificial sharpening and I'm now used to it, so a more "accurate" picture via RGB now looks somehow poorer.

Of course it could be a common fault to the way Grundig handle RGB, although you would expect this to have been raised as an issue by all the Grundig owners in PAL land where SCART RGB has been the only component signal available, before now.

If you have saturation and sharpness controls in the Denon 1920, see if setting them higher will bring the picture up to s-video or composite levels. Unfortunately I don't have these controls in my PVR and my DVD player doesn't have RGB.

I have a Grundig 80cm CRT TV and have also noticed RGB via SCART is a little fuzzier and less colour saturated than s-video. It's annoying, because neither sharpness or colour controls work for RGB inputs and so can't be compensated in the TV.

However, I'm beginning to wonder if the sharpness issue is because s-video and composite have been receiving artificial sharpening and I'm now used to it, so a more "accurate" picture via RGB now looks somehow poorer.

Of course it could be a common fault to the way Grundig handle RGB, although you would expect this to have been raised as an issue by all the Grundig owners in PAL land where SCART RGB has been the only component signal available, before now.

If you have saturation and sharpness controls in the Denon 1920, see if setting them higher will bring the picture up to s-video or composite levels. Unfortunately I don't have these controls in my PVR and my DVD player doesn't have RGB.

IanD - excellent. The Denon 1920 does have picture, brightness, contrast and gamma correction. Managed to get a much better picture. Thanks!!