New Lg Hd Plasma With Hd Tuner

Guest WalrusLike

So can anyone update the current state of play? Did the firmware upgrade change it to true HD? What do you have o say Trainspotter? Is it all ok now?

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So can anyone update the current state of play? Did the firmware upgrade change it to true HD? What do you have o say Trainspotter? Is it all ok now?

Couldn't tell you sorry. There were so many things I disliked about this plasma (aside from the tuner problem) that I ended up returning it and purchased a Panasonic (which I'm VERY happy with).

Purchased this unit on Friday and am kicking myself I had read this forum before then. I turned the tv on last night and channel 9 digital broadcast was frozen, didn't know what was going on and was getting fairly p^^&%d off. Has any one else had this problem what could be causing it?

I purchased one on the 24th of August and first set it up on Sunday the 27th August. I went through the autotune and menus fine but then when scrolling up through the channels got stuck on channel 9 with the picture frozen (Sunday program was on at the time). At this point no control on the remote would respond other than the power off. I bypassed the problem by powering off, removing antenna, powering on, changing channel, powering off, reconnecting antenna and then powering on again. I had to avoid all channel nines channels including HD. I called JB ($3000 with a 5 year warranty BTW) to return and they said they had had a flood of calls on the units and had none left in stock. By the time the footy show was on the problem was gone. I figured it was some sort of compatibility issue between the broadcaster and the firmware and gave it no more thought. It has operated seemlessly since.

I now have a new problem, aparantly a timing issue with the ignition which is leaving several areas of the screen with hazy blue tinges during certain conditions like a blue of white image. I am currently waiting on a new screen. When the Tech came this Friday I mentioned the initial freezing problem. He was more than aware of the problem and even quoted the date (27/08/06) that it occurred. Apparantly Nine was not monitoring their signal output to carefully.

I was unaware of this HD issue. I have a HTPC so not overly concerned however will ask the tech about it when he attends and I will repost if I find there is a firmware issue to fix and keep all you other peeps in the know.

i've been extremely happy with mine. maybe i'm just too ignorant to know the difference. i've had it for 2 weeks while waiting for a 60" to arrive.

i'd be happier if i could edit/delete channels, but otherwise PQ is great (better than a B&O i was watching last night...FWIW although the B&O had better sound) and it's been faultless so far.

i've been extremely happy with mine. maybe i'm just too ignorant to know the difference. i've had it for 2 weeks while waiting for a 60" to arrive.

Aircon - why are you putting these comments in this thread when you have stated you dont even own this model of TV (42PC1DG)?

Aircon - why are you putting these comments in this thread when you have stated you dont even own this model of TV (42PC1DG)?

well..that's a very good question. i got seduced by the name of the topic before i realised the model difference. nevertheless, it IS an LG with a HD inbuilt tuner...and here i am, perfectly happy with it. hard to imagine they went BACKWARDS with the later model, but it IS possible.

Guest emmcee55
This is what I recently sent to LG by email:

Firstly I want to say that I really like this plasma TV but I am very dissapointed that the internal Tuner for HD is not working properly. When you compare SD to HD viewing on a HD program there is very little difference if any in the picture quality/detail. Please fix this problem as I know that HD is much better than SD picture. You have advertised that there is an internal HD tuner so please fix this problem as I'm very dissapointed. Thanking you kindly.

This was the reply by Micheal from LG:

-----------Reply to Customer Enquiry------------

Dear John Thank you for emailing LG Electronics Australia. Model number 42PC1DG has a high quality standard signal so that when the TV is on HD the picture does not look like it has changed but it has. The way you can tell is if you look at the vertical lines you can see on the screen they have sharpened up and picture looks great to watch. The 42PC1DG has a HD Panel and a HD tuner inside. Kind Regards Karine LG Electronics Australia "Life's Good"

What do you think???

I sent an email to LG on 8/10/06 and received exactly the same reply as Scatpac. Needless to say I am not very happy being fobbed off,but am unsure how to proceed. Should I buy an HD STB and see if it fixes the problem,or should I make louder noises to LG?

Edited by emmcee55

Ok, I have CPU ver 3.03.0 and

Micom Ver 03.00

The odd thing is that I have already taken my plasma to an LG service center for the 'upgrade'. They stated they had not done one of these models before, and so I wonder if they actually used the current version of the firmware to upgrade....

Can anyone else here owning one of these please post these details, as well as if it is pre-service or post-service upgrade?

The HD channel seems a bit poor to me, and I didnt really notice much difference before or after the service.

I've suffered the same fate as BRISBULL. After 7 weeks of hassle I've just had "the" upgrade done only to find that it's gone from 3.01 to 3.03 and there's still no difference in PQ between SD and HD.

It's my guess that the firmware version on the website that the LG service agents download from is still at 3.03 when it should be at 3.23 or higher. So beware! If anyone goes for the upgrade be sure to stress that you want v3.23 or higher, otherwise you'll be very disappointed.

After my service agent drove for six hours to pick up and return my panel I don't have the heart to go through it again so I'm throwing in the towel and getting a Toppy 7000. I need one anyway to feed into my DVR so its no big deal..............................except another box for my wife to struggle with!!

Guest emmcee55
I have been seriously thinking of buying a cheap HD STB to compare. But I can't justify paying the money for one. Can any one recommend a half decent HD STB that's not to pricey??

Thanks.

I've seen an LG on sale at Rick Hart's here in the west for $298 - down from $399. Dick Smiths had an own brand DSE for $249 a couple of weeks ago and I even saw a no name brand at a clearance sale at Kambo's for $199. Considering that only a few months ago you couldn't buy a HD STB for less than $500, these seem like good buys.I'd like to know if there much difference in performance betwen brands and if it's worth spending more to get a good one, or do the cheaper models do the job just as well? However I still think I should not have to buy one at all - LG should be made to upgrade my set so that I can get what I paid for - true HD pictures from the inbuilt HD tuner.

I've suffered the same fate as BRISBULL. After 7 weeks of hassle I've just had "the" upgrade done only to find that it's gone from 3.01 to 3.03 and there's still no difference in PQ between SD and HD.

It's my guess that the firmware version on the website that the LG service agents download from is still at 3.03 when it should be at 3.23 or higher. So beware! If anyone goes for the upgrade be sure to stress that you want v3.23 or higher, otherwise you'll be very disappointed.

After my service agent drove for six hours to pick up and return my panel I don't have the heart to go through it again so I'm throwing in the towel and getting a Toppy 7000. I need one anyway to feed into my DVR so its no big deal..............................except another box for my wife to struggle with!!

Hey nickelwater as soon as you get your Toppy 7000 can you please keep us informed if you see any difference between SD and HD on HD content with your LG plasma? And also compare with the LG inbuilt tuner? When do you think you'll get it? I'd be very interested to know your thoughts!!

ive just bought it... and it is still on the ship (apparently) and wont be here untill near the end of october. do u think it will hav the 3.23 or higher? because its just been built?

yeah...i just "bought" the 60"....i think it's on the same ship.

Careful here, we do not know v3.23 is even available for our model of TV (42PC1DG). the only person who had reported the 3.23 firmware does not own this model of TV.

Careful here, we do not know v3.23 is even available for our model of TV (42PC1DG). the only person who had reported the 3.23 firmware does not own this model of TV.

Good point. We need to hear from someone whose 42PC1DG "works properly" and find out what their firmware version is.

Hi all, I'm new to these forums so greetings all :blink:

Does anyone know if this applies to the newish range of DLP rear projectors. I've just bought the 56" 56DC1D DLP rear pro and can't really tell any discernable difference between the HD and SD broadcasts. I was sold this on the proviso I didn't need a STB for HD?!?