Sign in to follow this  
Brazzwald

New Lg Hd Plasma With Hd Tuner

damn, we were about to get this plasma, but wit the hd tuner problem it seems like a bad idea, what would you guys recommend in gettin, as i want a 42" HD plasma with a 5yr waranty and a hd tuner(inbuilt or external) for just over $3000, i was also considering the older gen LG PX5D which wit a 5yr warranty costs us approx 2998 without ne haggling. any advice would be appreciated

thanking you :blink:

Any help/advice please

Any help/advice please

You might want to consider the Panasonic 42PX600A (due in Oct). RRP is $3899 but there's reports of places offering it for $3050 already. Once it becomes widely available, under 3k with 3yr warranty is very possible.

You might want to consider the Panasonic 42PX600A (due in Oct). RRP is $3899 but there's reports of places offering it for $3050 already. Once it becomes widely available, under 3k with 3yr warranty is very possible.

I see, that looks very nice and by the way it does have an integrated tv tuner aswell doesnt it? if it does than this might be a very good option to consider, i dont mind spending a few extra bucks for quality.

Hi Trainspotter !

I noticed that you mentioned the External HD box performed much better than the internal tuner ,

Putting aside the problem with the tuner ! what do you think of the actual unit itself (the panel ) as far as picture quality with DVD's and an external HD stb running thru it and how would you compare the PQ with the Pioneer ,Panasonic, Hitachi Panels .

If LG was to supply an external HD STB to those who are willing to purchase one would that sway your opinion about the panel !

Anyone who already owns this panel I would like to hear your opinions of the PQ putting aside the issue with the internal Tuner .

Ok, I wasn’t going to post this as there are obviously people here happy with this panel, but I feel it's to be honest about such things. Note that I'm not interested in debating technical merits of this panels or getting into a “you are wrong I am right” debate. Rather I will simply post what I know to be true, as well as my own subjective opinions after hours of thorough plasma evaluation and comparisons. This post will no doubt annoy some people and that’s fine, but I just can’t hold back on what I have personally observed with this model on numerous occasions.

Forgetting about the performance of the internal tuner (which we have established is woeful out of the box, but possibly improved with the latest firmware update) I would describe this panel's picture quality as "average at best".

For one it's black levels are simply terrible. My friend has a 4 year old Panasonic professional panel with a quoted contrast ratio of 1000:1 which has better blacks than this plasma. Look at the colour of the black bars on 4x3 shows in comparison to the black bezel of the display and you'll quickly see that this plasma produces a washed out grey at best. 10000:1 contrast my arse.

Shadow detail is equally as bad. Put on a DVD with dark night scenes and you'll notice that darker areas of the picture are simply a dark mass with no fine detail. Detailed areas of the picture in dark scenes are lost in grey fudge.

Colours are oversaturated and unnatural. Skin tones are pasty and "cartoon like". This cannot be corrected through calibration as the calibration options are severely limited.

There is a huge amount of noise present in the background. Particularly in reds or blues.

Deinterlacing and scaling is ordinary. There is no question the panel uses basic bob deinterlacing for both SD and HD sources, resulting in a loss of detail and artefacts like flickering and jagged edges (see this thread for an explanation of bob deinterlacing)

There is a high level of colour banding, posteurisation and dithering of colours. Look at areas of the picture that should have smooth colour gradation (blue skies, sunsets, skin tones, grass etc) and you'll quickly see that the picture breaks into large chunks of separate colours rather than smooth seamless colour transitions.

Input source selection is painful. The fact that you have to manually scroll through each input one by one is a joke.

The only thing in its favour is decent detail when fed a proper HD source from an external HD box. Apart from that I really don’t like anything about this plasma.

The image quality from a Panasonic PV60 or the new PV600 (with PROPER integrated HD tuner) absolutely blows this panel away. Inky blacks, excellent shadow detail, natural colours, smooth colour transitions, no low level noise, high quality deinterlacing/scaling, noise reduction and 1080p video processing, 2 HDMI inputs and far better build quality.

Paying the extra for a Panasonic at this point in time is an absolute no brainer in my opinion.

Has anyone had the software upgrade yet? Still tossing up between this panel and the new Panasonic. Depends what the price will be and quality.

Has anyone had the software upgrade yet? Still tossing up between this panel and the new Panasonic. Depends what the price will be and quality.

The LG is a great plasma at a great price. Like big deal it is not 100% . I am happy with my LG and it is 10000 times better than the soniq. Get the LG and then do the s/w upgrade

I purchased one of these on Saturday and will receive delivery tomorrow. Didn’t see this thread or else I would have hesitated in buying. Having said that I was impressed with the picture from what I saw in comparison to other units around the same price range. The real test will be sitting in front of this thing in my lounge room. Won’t have time to put it through its paces until Wednesday though. So I can’t say too much until then but thanks to all who posted!! Hope the internal HD tuner problem is just a simple software upgrade.

I purchased one of these on Saturday and will receive delivery tomorrow. Didn’t see this thread or else I would have hesitated in buying. Having said that I was impressed with the picture from what I saw in comparison to other units around the same price range. The real test will be sitting in front of this thing in my lounge room. Won’t have time to put it through its paces until Wednesday though. So I can’t say too much until then but thanks to all who posted!! Hope the internal HD tuner problem is just a simple software upgrade.

Hi all the latest batch of LGs have got the upgrade done it is only the first batch that have the problem from what i can gather! Still waiting on my upgrade should be tomorrow! Stay tuned!

Hi all the latest batch of LGs have got the upgrade done it is only the first batch that have the problem from what i can gather! Still waiting on my upgrade should be tomorrow! Stay tuned!

Is that to say the software upgrade had fixed this issue ?

Hi all the latest batch of LGs have got the upgrade done ...

Wish I'd seen this thread before buying!!

Received my new 50PC1D today and noticed there was little or no difference between SD and HD channels, even before reading this thread.

How do I know the software upgrade has been done? Even so it does not correct what appears to be outright deception on the part of LG and arguably the salesman at HN who surely would have known about this.

He will hear from me tomorrow. :blink:

Recieved the David Jones brochure in the mail yesterday and thought how good is this, new 42PC1DG that supercedes the 42PX5D and on special for $2699, was going to get one today, then luckily thought I should check forums to see if any info on it. Thank God I did.

So from all posts above we still can't be assured the problem has been fixed.

I am now thinking I will play dumb and go to shops and ask for discount on the OLD model 42PX5D and see how I go. The 42PX5D definitely doesn't have this problem, does it??

Hi all, I have had some time to play with this new plasma and most of the time has been to see if there is any difference in viewing SD vs HD on HD programs.

Ok, it is true that there is little if any difference in HD vs SD and this is a flaw in my opinion. But I still like this unit. It absolutely kills what I was seeing with my old 63” NEC TV. And I’m not over exaggerating. For the price I’m still glad I bought it. Will be contacting LG about the internal tuner issue soon.

This is what I recently sent to LG by email:

Firstly I want to say that I really like this plasma TV but I am very dissapointed that the internal Tuner for HD is not working properly. When you compare SD to HD viewing on a HD program there is very little difference if any in the picture quality/detail. Please fix this problem as I know that HD is much better than SD picture. You have advertised that there is an internal HD tuner so please fix this problem as I'm very dissapointed. Thanking you kindly.

This was the reply by Micheal from LG:

-----------Reply to Customer Enquiry------------

Dear John Thank you for emailing LG Electronics Australia. Model number 42PC1DG has a high quality standard signal so that when the TV is on HD the picture does not look like it has changed but it has. The way you can tell is if you look at the vertical lines you can see on the screen they have sharpened up and picture looks great to watch. The 42PC1DG has a HD Panel and a HD tuner inside. Kind Regards Karine LG Electronics Australia "Life's Good"

What do you think???

wHAT A LOAD OF SH*T !

i AM MAJORLY PISSED WITH LG !

CMON LG DO YOU THINK PEOPLE ARE STUPID ?

MINE IS READY IN ITS BOX READY TO GO BACK TO THE HOLE IT CAME FROM !

THEIR REPLY TO ME FROM THEIR OWN TECHNICIAN WHO CAME CAME AROUND TO LOOK AT IT WAS ! WAIT FOR IT .

"LOW RESOLUTION ON HD , NORMAL FOR PANEL ! "

EVEN HE WAS SURPRISED AT HOW BAD IT WAS !

NOW TELL ME LG IS LOW RESOLUTION NORMAL ON A 50" PLASMA ? ARE WE BUYING FISH AND CHIPS ?

This is what I recently sent to LG by email:

Firstly I want to say that I really like this plasma TV but I am very dissapointed that the internal Tuner for HD is not working properly. When you compare SD to HD viewing on a HD program there is very little difference if any in the picture quality/detail. Please fix this problem as I know that HD is much better than SD picture. You have advertised that there is an internal HD tuner so please fix this problem as I'm very dissapointed. Thanking you kindly.

This was the reply by Micheal from LG:

Dear John Thank you for emailing LG Electronics Australia. Model number 42PC1DG has a high quality standard signal so that when the TV is on HD the picture does not look like it has changed but it has. The way you can tell is if you look at the vertical lines you can see on the screen they have sharpened up and picture looks great to watch. The 42PC1DG has a HD Panel and a HD tuner inside. Kind Regards Karine LG Electronics Australia "Life's Good"

What do you think???

What do you think???

I think that reply did not answer the question that has been posed re SD/HD

Rang LG on the 28th Sept. to see what they had to say on this issue...this took quite a long time

My enquiry was about the 50PC1D which is now in my lounge room

LG customer service tell me:

1) It is an HD plasma...ok knew that

2) It is an HD tuner...ok knew that too

3) absolutely denied any downscaling and re-upscaling of the HD reception

- this question was very difficult to pose as the call centre person did not understand (or did not want to)

- she 'checked' with a 'tech' and reports it definitely does not downscale and re-upscale

4) vaguely referred to a firmware upgrade which might provide ' ways of picking it (the picture) up a bit'

5) gave me the service centre number

6) alluded to a belief that there is misinformation around

Service centre (Stag digital in ADL) tell me:

1) new units are shipped with the upgraded firmware - no upgrade required

2) had nothing useful to say about the tuner other than to reiterate the info from LG ie that it is 'true' HD

Conclusion

?? Who do you believe, LG or a forum user ??

LG has a vested interest to protect...and everyone else?

My 50PC1D exhibits a clear difference between SD and HD, hard to say if the HD is as good as it could be.

In the shop (HN) I couldn't really see a difference betwen the various panels on HD

Hmmm :blink:

Edited by Duro

I think that reply did not answer the question that has been posed re SD/HD

Rang LG on the 28th Sept. to see what they had to say on this issue...this took quite a long time

My enquiry was about the 50PC1D which is now in my lounge room

LG customer service tell me:

1) It is an HD plasma...ok knew that

2) It is an HD tuner...ok knew that too

3) absolutely denied any downscaling and re-upscaling of the HD reception

- this question was very difficult to pose as the call centre person did not understand (or did not want to)

- she 'checked' with a 'tech' and reports it definitely does not downscale and re-upscale

4) vaguely referred to a firmware upgrade which might provide ' ways of picking it (the picture) up a bit'

5) gave me the service centre number

6) alluded to a belief that there is misinformation around

Service centre (Stag digital in ADL) tell me:

1) new units are shipped with the upgraded firmware - no upgrade required

2) had nothing useful to say about the tuner other than to reiterate the info from LG ie that it is 'true' HD

Conclusion

?? Who do you believe, LG or a forum user ??

LG has a vested interest to protect...and everyone else?

My 50PC1D exhibits a clear difference between SD and HD, hard to say if the HD is as good as it could be.

In the shop (HN) I couldn't really see a difference betwen the various panels on HD

Hmm

I have returned my unit for a full refund today . I am very glad I did

Edited by purepixel

Duro ! I suggest you go back to HN and see for yourself , I guarantee they were using a external set top box to run multiple screen s . that was how I got suckered in . I havent seen a store yet that was using the actual internal tuner !

I guess some LG agents are more loyal than others as my repair agents reply on his visit was

Low resolution on HD , normal for panel . This is text exactly as written by the technician on the repair order .

Hence I took the repair order to my retailer and watched his jaw drop ! I have returned my unit for a full refund today .

Edited by purepixel

I said "a software upgrade is available to customers that may feel this is an issue" in my earlier reply.

you should ring LG and get a software upgrade..

picture looks heaps better.

Did someone do the upgrade at your home? Did he use a laptop?

I purchased this unit 1 month ago in Wodonga (N/E Vic), and like many others, have since read all the negative feedback with regard to it's questionable HD tuner. I think I'm probably your average first time plasma buyer, I can see differences between other brands screens and differences between SD & HD dispays...but upgrading from an outdated 51cm, anything looks fantastic! And this LG in my uneducated opinion has a great picture. (I appreciate that many of you are experts in DTV & AV equipment and can possibly see far smaller detail differences than your average owner.)

Anyway, this morning I went back to the store I purchased from with another problem(see below), and noticed that they had an external HD STB hooked up to their display 42PC1DG. The salesman was very aware of the reported problem and offered to show me the difference. He displayed 10's HD 1080i broadcast of "9am with David & Kim" side by side with PIP and yes, there was a noticable difference.

Here's where I got a surprise.

Overall the picture from the external stb was definitely smoother, however there was actually far more detail in the picture from the on-board HD tuner. By detail I mean comparing things like hair, grass, tree foliage and shadow detail. The on-board tuner displayed much better fine detail even tho not as smoothly overall.

I don't know any of the technical reasons why this would be so, but there is a difference.

I guess it just depends on personal preference, so my advice...do the test and make your own mind up.

My main problem with the unit is that, twice recently while watching TV, the unit has frozen up and does not respond to either remote or panel controls and needs to be unplugged from the wall for more than 15 mins to clear itself and restart.

The salesman has also experienced this on two of their display units and has noticed that it only happens intermitently on 7's "Prime" broadcast. I did notice last night that we were watching Prime when it froze, so I believe the salesman, in thinking that it freezes in response to some signal only transmitted on Prime?? weird? He has assured me that if it happens again, they will exchange the unit for a new one, but I'm going to call LG in the hope of a firmware upgrade to fix the problem.

My only other smaller gripes with the unit are:

1) unable to select component source without scrolling thru all source inputs, which is quite slow.

2) unable to choose to have 4:3 dvd's displayed with black side bars instead of pale gray, which is quite glary. I can't really see the difference between that and watching tv shows that are in 4:3 with black sidebars format?

Personally the Tuner issue doesn't bother me because I think the picture is already great and secondly, at some stage down the track we'll buy a recorder with inbuild HD tuner anyway, so end of problem.

Just hope to sort out the freezing up issue now......

Purchased this unit on Friday and am kicking myself I had read this forum before then. I turned the tv on last night and channel 9 digital broadcast was frozen, didn't know what was going on and was getting fairly p^^&%d off. Has any one else had this problem what could be causing it?

Purchased this unit on Friday and am kicking myself I had read this forum before then. I turned the tv on last night and channel 9 digital broadcast was frozen, didn't know what was going on and was getting fairly p^^&%d off. Has any one else had this problem what could be causing it?

I have had my unit for 1 months and no probnlems

Same here no problems as yet but my unit is less than one week old.

i have had mine for 6 weeks, no problem yet.

i don't care what the experts tell me, there is no difference between SD and HD channels, there should be very noticable difference and its NOT

I have my LG for about a week now.

I was actually able to demonstrate the difference to my wife by flipping the channel 9 station from SD to HD during the Footy Show advert. On SD, one of the presenters suits looked black, but on HD, you could actually see the lines on the suit.

This was using the internal HD tuner as I have no external STB, but it may be that because I only recently received my Plasma, the latest Firmware is installed. Is there any way of manually checking?

I'm very curious, does anyone know if I can hire somewhere a HD STB for a month to compare SD & HD at home?