Sign in to follow this  
Brazzwald

New Lg Hd Plasma With Hd Tuner

Er, last time I checked $300 was still worth $300...... :blink:

a beer is only worth $3.00 but, when someone gives one, u feel like king

EPG Problem - Help Needed Please!

I have bought the LG 42PC1DG and am really pleased with the unit apart from one very frustrating deficiency.

I can't get a program listing up that details different channels at the same time, so it takes ages to get a snapshot of whats on or about to come on. Checked my mates new Philips set and his gets the proper guide up with all the diffeerent channels showing whats on each channel.

Can anyone advise if it is just me and there is a feature to get a programme list up other than say all the CH 7 programs? Its so frsutrating I may even try and swap it for one that can do it. Can't believe LG would have not had this as a feature.

I have bought the LG 42PC1DG and am really pleased with the unit apart from one very frustrating deficiency.

I can't get a program listing up that details different channels at the same time, so it takes ages to get a snapshot of whats on or about to come on. Checked my mates new Philips set and his gets the proper guide up with all the diffeerent channels showing whats on each channel.

Can anyone advise if it is just me and there is a feature to get a programme list up other than say all the CH 7 programs? Its so frsutrating I may even try and swap it for one that can do it. Can't believe LG would have not had this as a feature.

Bought one of these on the weekend for $2500 ($3000 included 5 year warranty, optic cable for my surround sound and a surge protector powerboard)from JB, i also want to know how to make half the channels obsolete AND how to record via the integrated tuner to my VCR..

if you record on s#$t, you get s$%t, just use the tuner in the vcr, run coax cable to the vcr to tv

Try hitting number '4' on the remote control when watching digital TV. Not sure about other areas but in Sydney Channel 4 is used as an EPG of what is on, coming up next etc on all channels.

I purchased a 42PC1DG on Friday from Harvey Norman Sunshine. The lowest price I got from around Melbourne and Geelong was $2700 which included 5 year extended warranty, delivery, and a monster fly lead.

Had it delivered yesterday, but due to work commitments, haven't had time to set it up as yet.. can't wait to get home this morning and unwrap my Fathers Day gift! :blink:

OK - so this unit can be obtained for around $2700-$2900. Can anyone tell me ANY other TV with an inbuilt tuner and same size I should be considering OR something cheaper that is equally as good without an inbuilt Tuner (ie - I can use the difference in price to buy the inbuilt tuner?

My only concern with the inbuilt tuner is the lack of ability to record stuff - which quite frankly confuses to heck out of me. If someone would like to clarify this - please do so - there has to be some way of recording from the TV...surely?

I purchased a 42PC1DG on Friday from Harvey Norman Sunshine. The lowest price I got from around Melbourne and Geelong was $2700 which included 5 year extended warranty, delivery, and a monster fly lead.

Had it delivered yesterday, but due to work commitments, haven't had time to set it up as yet.. can't wait to get home this morning and unwrap my Fathers Day gift! :blink:

You'll be very happy with it, great little tv, i have the previous integrated model, no complaints

I bought one of these on the weekend from JB Hifi - I compared prices from Harvey Norman and Good Guys in the same shopping centre and JB Hifi was the cheapest (well, on the TV alone, The Good Guys were prepared to go down an extra $20, but wanted to charge $40 for delivery as oposed to $15 from JB).

I paid $2500 from JB Hifi (after some haggling), but also opted for a 5 year warranty (I can't remember what I paid for it, but it was very reasonable - about $275) and a decent component cable to connect to my DVD Recorder.

I was initially looking at buying a HD Panasonic Viera and then a separate HD STB later on. I then figured that because I already have an SD STB, I could attach that to my DVD Recorder and use that for recording, whilst using the TV's HDTV tuner to watch digital and record at the same time.

Overall, I'm extremely impressed with the TV - going from a 68cm CRT to one of these is incredible.

As an aside...

The only dilemma I have with this is that my amp has one coaxial and one optical input. Both my DVD Recorder and TV have optical outputs and neither have coax. At the moment I have the TV attached to the optical input of the amp, but would very much like to find a way to connect my DVD Recorder back to the Amp - do Optical to Coaxial converters for SPDIFs exist?

Hi Guys,

I have some serious news to share about this panel, but before I do I want you know that this is no way any kind of troublemaking “troll post”. Rather I recently bought this plasma, have had the opportunity to test it properly, and have come across a SERIOUS design flaw. So serious that I’ll unfortunately be taking back my panel.

When I first got the plasma home things looked pretty good. Colours were decent, processing while not brilliant was acceptable, and black levels were about what I expected from a latest model LG (not up to Panasonic or Pioneer standards but decent). I tuned in all the digital channels no problem, and it was then I started to notice a major problem.

The problem is this. The HD tuner inside this panel is not a true HD tuner. Sure, it receives and displays all HD channels, but believe it or not it down-converts them internally to SD for display. Rubbish I hear you cry? Well try this. Have a good look at the HD channels (when a true HD show or loop is on) then compare the image quality to the SD channels. Marginal improvement perhaps? Now get your hands on ANY HD STB (or if you don't have access to one go into a store and ask to see an HD STB hooked up to one of these screens). Put the HD STB on 1080i setting, put them both on the same channel (making sure it’s a true HD show – not up-converted), then flick between the HD box and the set’s internal HD tuner. Now feel your jaw drop. The HD STB will produce a picture at least twice as detailed as that of the set’s own internal “HD” tuner. It doesn’t mater whether you use a $200 DGTEC HD box or a $500 Topfield HD box, ANY HD box with component output will yield a picture dramatically superior to that of the LG.

The worst thing is even the SD picture from the set’s own tuner is not up to scratch due to some weird processing its doing to the picture. Comparing the picture to a Humax SMART-PVR, DGTEC HD box (set to SD output) and a Topfield 5000 via S-Video, every one produces an SD picture with more detail, better colours, less line flicker, and less noise than the LG’s own tuner.

To test this have a look at any SD channel on the LG and look at the amount of line flicker, background noise, colour bleed and overall softness to the picture.

So how could this all be you ask? Believe it or not I have a very good idea based on something a very knowledgeable industry insider has told me. Supposedly because this panel is only sold with an HD tuner in Australia (elsewhere in the world it has no internal digital tuner or an SD tuner only for Europe) it isn’t actually equipped to receive an HD signal internally. The part where the HD card slots in can only process an SD signal – which means RGB (as in SD RGB usually delivered via EuroSCART) or S-Video. So what is happening is the HD tuner receives the HD signal, then down-converts it to SD for processing and display.

This is an absolute sham and I’m personally very pissed off. One of the main selling features for me buying this panel was its internal HD tuner, and to find out its delivering only an SD picture on HD channels is a disgrace. Its also a classic case of false advertising.

Now remember people, I am putting this post up to help people out, not to start trouble or to make people unhappy. If you have any doubts whatsoever about what I’m saying, remember all you have to do is hook up an HD STB via component/HDMI and switch between it and the set’s own HD tuner on a true HD show. If you can’t see a dramatically superior picture from the HD STB you need a serious eye examination.

The sad thing is this panel actually looks very good with an external HD STB, and if LG had just been honest and either left it without a tuner, or better incorporated one that delivered a proper HD signal, it would be very good for the money.

As it stands now I will be retuning mine and going for a panel without HD tuner, given there is no point in keeping the LG for this feature. A real shame too as I like the overall picture and aesthetics of this screen.

Sorry to be the bringer of such bad news :blink:

Thanks for this news Trainspotter. As someone who was seriously considering going ahead and purchasing this panel I am glad that you have posted this news.

I might try and find a store with one of these on display and see if I can do the test there - not that I'm doubting you, but I'd be keen to see this in action.

So...now for an alternative panel....back to the drawing board....suggestions please.........

Chris

Thanks for that. According to the link I posted before, europe does get a hidef tuner though

Thanks for this news Trainspotter. As someone who was seriously considering going ahead and purchasing this panel I am glad that you have posted this news.

No problem. I was actually a little reluctant to post as I don't want to make people stress, or make them unhappy with their purchase if they already have one. However this a serious defect and one people should be aware of before buying.

I might try and find a store with one of these on display and see if I can do the test there - not that I'm doubting you, but I'd be keen to see this in action.

Please do! The more people that confirm this problem the more it will treated seriously. Remember to make sure its a native HD program (not up-converted) for a proper comparison.

So...now for an alternative panel....back to the drawing board....suggestions please.........

Personally I'll be going for the Panasonic 60A with external HD box. A shame as it doesn't look as good aesthetically, but its picture is excellent for the money.

Thanks for that. According to the link I posted before, europe does get a hidef tuner though

Europe gets an internal SD DVB-T tuner. Not HD (as they don't have any full-time HD free to air broadcasting yet). That's the problem. This set appears to be designed for an internal SD tuner, but not an HD one. External HD sources via component/HDMI are fine however.

Interesting,

I was pretty much set on the Pana PV until i saw mention of this TV on here. I figured that for around the same price i could get the inbuilt tuner so it was at least was worth considering. I went and had a look at one and immediately crossed it off due to the poor image coming from the internal tuner.

I've written to LG regarding the issue of HD Tuner, HD Display but with conversion to SD in between. I will be most dissapointed if this cannot be resolved.

Is there any hope that LG would be able to fix this problem (i.e. by changing electronics) in the display or supplying a HD STB to those who have bought this unit?

i hope so jonT, please inform us on any progress

i thought my eyes were playing tricks with me, i thought was not much difference SD and HD channels

Just thought I would chime in and confirm that I have also seen this problem, and can confirm that this plasma does definitely not properly display HD from it's internal tuner. There is almost no difference in image quality between the SD and HD channels when showing a native HD show (as there is clearly a down-conversion to SD going on).

As Trainspotter mentioned image quality from an external HD box blows the internal tuner away. SD vs HD basically.

My friend bought this panel on the weekend (only saw it playing from an HD box when I went to help her purchase) and she will be returning it today for this reason (amongst others but I wont go into those).

This is not good enough LG. Absolutely pathetic in fact. If this is people’s first HD experience they are going to be very disappointed and wonder what all the fuss is about.

Is there any hope that LG would be able to fix this problem (i.e. by changing electronics) in the display or supplying a HD STB to those who have bought this unit?

I doubt it, or I imagine they wouldn’t have this problem in the first place. There is no cost saving involved as it has a true HD tuner. Its just that the HD tuner isn’t actually delivering native HD to the set’s processing (it’s clearly down-converting first).

As mentioned earlier it appears this set is not designed to accept HD internally (as it only has an SD tuner elsewhere in the world). From HDMI/component it has no problems with HD at all.

Hi there,

Just thought I'd also confirm this to be true.

I just went down to Harvey's and asks the guys to connect up an external HD set top box so that I could compare the picture. The difference was clearly evident, the sales guy said it was because of the RF tuner and co-ax compared to the set top boxes component out (something like that anyway).

He also said that he would steer away from a TV with an inbuilt tuner because the technology just isn't up to the standard as external STB's.

However in saying this I was really impressed with the TV overall, I have a HD set top box at home and have decided to get one for myself as they have a 40 months interest free deal starting on Friday.

The normal tickect price is $2999, cash price $2689, interest free price including 5 yrs warranty $3050.

I purchased an LG 42PC1DG 106cm plasma a fortnight ago ($2,450 from The Good Guys) and I love it despite the apparent HD sham.

One negative though is the input select on the remote. It's a pain and several forum members have complained. To get from DTV to Component 1 requires cycling through half a dozen other options. Since I only ever need DTV or Component 1 it would be nice if the button just toggled between those two. Page 89 of the manual appears to offer some helpful information in this regard. It states:

"Input Select Command2:B) (Main Picture Input)

To select input source for the TV

Transmission [k] [ ] [set ID] [Data] [Cr]

Where Data 0=Digital, Data 4 = Component 1 etc etc

Acknowledgement [ ] [set ID] [ ] [OK/NG] [Data] [x]"

Now, I'm completely new to all this. Do I plug my laptop into the TV to make changes? Can anyone help?

It strikes me that this still seems like a very well priced 1024 x 768 42" plamsa with HDMI input, if you ignore the internal tuner completely. At the very least it should give excellent (true) 576p.

"Input Select Command2::blink: (Main Picture Input)

To select input source for the TV

Transmission [k] [ ] [set ID] [Data] [Cr]

Where Data 0=Digital, Data 4 = Component 1 etc etc

Acknowledgement [ ] [set ID] [ ] [OK/NG] [Data] [x]"

Now, I'm completely new to all this. Do I plug my laptop into the TV to make changes? Can anyone help?

I’m afraid its not as simple as that. That section of the manual refers to RS232 custom installer codes (i.e. when setting up a custom learning remote system). I imagine like most A/V products you’ve need an LG service module of some sort to plug in. In any case there is no way to change codes on the original LG remote itself.

It strikes me that this still seems like a very well priced 1024 x 768 42" plamsa with HDMI input, if you ignore the internal tuner completely. At the very least it should give excellent (true) 576p.

I would have to disagree. If it had a proper HD tuner it would be good value for money, giving you’d be getting a proper integrated HD TV with no need to purchase an external STB. As it stands now to get the best performance out of the screen you still have to purchase an external HD STB which means the screen is really no better value than other better quality HD screens from other manufacturers like Panasonic and Hitachi (going price for the Panasonic PV60 is $2699).

The LG while a semi decent screen is significantly inferior with it’s black levels (WELL below Panasonic and Pioneer), processing, colour accuracy, noise, colour banding, image retention (a major issue from what I saw), input selection (ridiculously annoying cycle method) and digital inputs (2 HDMI inputs on Panasonic and Hitachi screens).

Given the integrated tuner is useless, the only thing the LG really has going it for it now are its aesthetics (much nicer to look at when switched off than the Panasonic!).

Above all else I’d have to say it’s a matter of principle for me. Branding a screen as having an integrated HD tuner, when it wont actually deliver HD to the screen is very misleading and is going to rip off many unsuspecting consumers who will end up with a sub-par HD experience (no better than SD).

does anyone know if this also applies to the LG 50"?

WOW in Brisbane have this in the brochure today for $3999.

as Trainspotter says though, i think there is a matter of principle here - might be useful to bargain down a Pana 50" though!

does anyone know if this also applies to the LG 50"?

I can say with almost 100% certainty that the 50" would have the same processing and "HD" tuner as the 42". My advice is to avoid like the plague and go for the Panasonic.

Would the LG Integrated Tuner downscale problem even be in there integrated LCD and CRT sets with HD Tuners or is it just a problem in there plasmas?