New Lg Hd Plasma With Hd Tuner

Just thought I would let everyone know (well those that don't already) that the new LG 42" HD Plasma with HD Tuner will be released this month.

This new model is similar to the look of the 42PC1DV (SD Panel, HD Tuner) but instead of having a silver/grey speaker grill on the bottom, it is all black.

Some specs - 1024 x 768 Resolution, inbuilt HD Tuner, HDMI, 10,000:1 Contrast, more component inputs than the equiv Samsung. There is something of Clear Filter Screen, and that 14.3 Trillion Colour Processing again :ph34r: .

I think the main talking point for this one will be the price, $2999 before haggling...

The LG website does not have this uploaded yet.

This is sure to put pressure on all other plasma prices now...

Also, I don't work for LG... :blink:

Brazzwald

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also stay tuned for pre-Xmas release of 42" & 50" integrated HD/250Gb HDD/DVR panels....

Yep, thats right folks! Saw 'em last nite @ LG wankfest

However, was too dark inside to see if any of the rear composites ( x 2 ) output for archiving

Still, pretty sexy lookin' panel - all piano black finish

Also stay tuned for pre-Xmas release of 42" & 50" integrated HD/250Gb HDD/DVR panels....

Yep, thats right folks! Saw 'em last nite @ LG wankfest

However, was too dark inside to see if any of the rear composites ( x 2 ) output for archiving

Still, pretty sexy lookin' panel - all piano black finish

2Dogs, was the Black high gloss like the Sammy LCDs? Also what was the plastic screen like?

Hey all,

I'm looking at getting a 42inch Plasma in the near future and after shopping around was really interested in the LG42PX5D but was given the heads up on the 42PC1DG, so i'll think ill wait and have a look, should hopefully be out in Aus soon?

I've rang around and was given an over the phone quote of $2590, when they eventually get in, surely this is a mistake? I've seen SD LG plasmas in JB HiFi for around this much....

Anyone got any reviews of this model?

Looks like they've updated the LG website.

No-one seems to like LG's around here, do they?

Cheers

G'day,

I'm also very interested in the release of this model. Rang Launceston HN yesterday, they advised they can no longer get 42PXD5 and are expecting 42PC1DG in the next week or so. Starting price $2999. Interested to hear if anyone has sighted this model and can offer an opinion/feedback.

Cheers.

Saw one today next to all the others at JBs-its so noisy in there ya dont know if you're are Arthur or Martha!.

Anyway,looked as good as any-Pana,Samsung,Hitachi etc.-clear and bright and for my taste very smart

The problem of course as always is you dont know how well the others are adjusted,but I would say you would have to be super critical to really pick much difference for everyday use! :blink:

I saw the new LG model in a local HN, it was besides the older model panasonic, the 500a. I have to admit the panasonic potrayed colours much better and gave a sharper image (A fast and furious DVD). Although the LG could have been poorly setup... I would like to see it elsewhere, although i have now been looking in to the panasonic....

Saw one today next to all the others at JBs-its so noisy in there ya dont know if you're are Arthur or Martha!.

Anyway,looked as good as any-Pana,Samsung,Hitachi etc.-clear and bright and for my taste very smart

The problem of course as always is you dont know how well the others are adjusted,but I would say you would have to be super critical to really pick much difference for everyday use! :blink:

Hi,

Looking on the LG Web Site today (23rd August 06) the RRP is $3,999.00 for the 42PC1DG and a RRP of $4,374 for the 42PX5D.

The specs show both an analogue and a digital tuner.

42PC1DG - $2999 retail price as everyone has said. The LG site is... creative with it's RRP's. $2700 should be easy, even a little lower than that.

42PC1DG - $2999 retail price as everyone has said. The LG site is... creative with it's RRP's. $2700 should be easy, even a little lower than that.

Thanks for the info and comment. Makes keeping up with the Forums very worthwhile.

I did a shop around today and got some very cheap prices for this model. Started off at JB and he only needed very minor prodding to go to $2650 - only if i buy today of course :blink:

From then on I did the run around to WOW, Betta Electrical Super Store, The Good Guys and Clive Anthonys. Best price i got was from the Good Guys of $2579. Clive Anthonys said they would match it but they were making a loss on it, even did the old turn the monitor around a bit so I could see their "buy price." The old guy at Hardly Normal was a d*ckhead who told me I didn't know what I was talking about and that all the other stores were quoting me on old models (they werent, i got the guys to write down the model number so I could be sure)

The TV itself looks really good, in every store it looked as good as the panasonic and hitachi, with the inbuilt HD tuner it certainly looks the goods, though I didnt take any special DVDs I was just going off what was displayed. More Component inputs would be nice but I have my yamaha amp to plug everything into

just bought 42PC1DG inbuilt hd tuner, they say its a twin tuner for PIP, as long as one is digital channel and the other is analogue channel

once the new pioneer's come out, i will move it to the bedroom

does any know how to change the programe number, 10 channels spread over 60, i just want to change them to 1,2,3, etc

You might be on your own with this maximus, I dare say the first on this forum to have bought one.

Gary D, did all the stores you checked out have the LG 42PC1DG plasma on display? Was it Bris Northside you checked out to get some prices?

Brazzwlad

You might be on your own with this maximus, I dare say the first on this forum to have bought one.

Gary D, did all the stores you checked out have the LG 42PC1DG plasma on display? Was it Bris Northside you checked out to get some prices?

Brazzwlad

Yep all on north side brissy along gympie rd. Everyone had it on display except for Clive Anthony's, but they had them in stock

EPG Problem - Help Needed Please!

I have bought the LG 42PC1DG and am really pleased with the unit apart from one very frustrating deficiency.

I can't get a program listing up that details different channels at the same time, so it takes ages to get a snapshot of whats on or about to come on. Checked my mates new Philips set and his gets the proper guide up with all the diffeerent channels showing whats on each channel.

Can anyone advise if it is just me and there is a feature to get a programme list up other than say all the CH 7 programs? Its so frsutrating I may even try and swap it for one that can do it. Can't believe LG would have not had this as a feature.

I have bought the LG 42PC1DG and am really pleased with the unit apart from one very frustrating deficiency.

I can't get a program listing up that details different channels at the same time, so it takes ages to get a snapshot of whats on or about to come on. Checked my mates new Philips set and his gets the proper guide up with all the diffeerent channels showing whats on each channel.

Can anyone advise if it is just me and there is a feature to get a programme list up other than say all the CH 7 programs? Its so frsutrating I may even try and swap it for one that can do it. Can't believe LG would have not had this as a feature.

Bought one of these on the weekend for $2500 ($3000 included 5 year warranty, optic cable for my surround sound and a surge protector powerboard)from JB, i also want to know how to make half the channels obsolete AND how to record via the integrated tuner to my VCR..

Try hitting number '4' on the remote control when watching digital TV. Not sure about other areas but in Sydney Channel 4 is used as an EPG of what is on, coming up next etc on all channels.

I purchased a 42PC1DG on Friday from Harvey Norman Sunshine. The lowest price I got from around Melbourne and Geelong was $2700 which included 5 year extended warranty, delivery, and a monster fly lead.

Had it delivered yesterday, but due to work commitments, haven't had time to set it up as yet.. can't wait to get home this morning and unwrap my Fathers Day gift! :blink:

OK - so this unit can be obtained for around $2700-$2900. Can anyone tell me ANY other TV with an inbuilt tuner and same size I should be considering OR something cheaper that is equally as good without an inbuilt Tuner (ie - I can use the difference in price to buy the inbuilt tuner?

My only concern with the inbuilt tuner is the lack of ability to record stuff - which quite frankly confuses to heck out of me. If someone would like to clarify this - please do so - there has to be some way of recording from the TV...surely?

I purchased a 42PC1DG on Friday from Harvey Norman Sunshine. The lowest price I got from around Melbourne and Geelong was $2700 which included 5 year extended warranty, delivery, and a monster fly lead.

Had it delivered yesterday, but due to work commitments, haven't had time to set it up as yet.. can't wait to get home this morning and unwrap my Fathers Day gift! :blink:

You'll be very happy with it, great little tv, i have the previous integrated model, no complaints

I bought one of these on the weekend from JB Hifi - I compared prices from Harvey Norman and Good Guys in the same shopping centre and JB Hifi was the cheapest (well, on the TV alone, The Good Guys were prepared to go down an extra $20, but wanted to charge $40 for delivery as oposed to $15 from JB).

I paid $2500 from JB Hifi (after some haggling), but also opted for a 5 year warranty (I can't remember what I paid for it, but it was very reasonable - about $275) and a decent component cable to connect to my DVD Recorder.

I was initially looking at buying a HD Panasonic Viera and then a separate HD STB later on. I then figured that because I already have an SD STB, I could attach that to my DVD Recorder and use that for recording, whilst using the TV's HDTV tuner to watch digital and record at the same time.

Overall, I'm extremely impressed with the TV - going from a 68cm CRT to one of these is incredible.

As an aside...

The only dilemma I have with this is that my amp has one coaxial and one optical input. Both my DVD Recorder and TV have optical outputs and neither have coax. At the moment I have the TV attached to the optical input of the amp, but would very much like to find a way to connect my DVD Recorder back to the Amp - do Optical to Coaxial converters for SPDIFs exist?

Hi Guys,

I have some serious news to share about this panel, but before I do I want you know that this is no way any kind of troublemaking “troll post”. Rather I recently bought this plasma, have had the opportunity to test it properly, and have come across a SERIOUS design flaw. So serious that I’ll unfortunately be taking back my panel.

When I first got the plasma home things looked pretty good. Colours were decent, processing while not brilliant was acceptable, and black levels were about what I expected from a latest model LG (not up to Panasonic or Pioneer standards but decent). I tuned in all the digital channels no problem, and it was then I started to notice a major problem.

The problem is this. The HD tuner inside this panel is not a true HD tuner. Sure, it receives and displays all HD channels, but believe it or not it down-converts them internally to SD for display. Rubbish I hear you cry? Well try this. Have a good look at the HD channels (when a true HD show or loop is on) then compare the image quality to the SD channels. Marginal improvement perhaps? Now get your hands on ANY HD STB (or if you don't have access to one go into a store and ask to see an HD STB hooked up to one of these screens). Put the HD STB on 1080i setting, put them both on the same channel (making sure it’s a true HD show – not up-converted), then flick between the HD box and the set’s internal HD tuner. Now feel your jaw drop. The HD STB will produce a picture at least twice as detailed as that of the set’s own internal “HD” tuner. It doesn’t mater whether you use a $200 DGTEC HD box or a $500 Topfield HD box, ANY HD box with component output will yield a picture dramatically superior to that of the LG.

The worst thing is even the SD picture from the set’s own tuner is not up to scratch due to some weird processing its doing to the picture. Comparing the picture to a Humax SMART-PVR, DGTEC HD box (set to SD output) and a Topfield 5000 via S-Video, every one produces an SD picture with more detail, better colours, less line flicker, and less noise than the LG’s own tuner.

To test this have a look at any SD channel on the LG and look at the amount of line flicker, background noise, colour bleed and overall softness to the picture.

So how could this all be you ask? Believe it or not I have a very good idea based on something a very knowledgeable industry insider has told me. Supposedly because this panel is only sold with an HD tuner in Australia (elsewhere in the world it has no internal digital tuner or an SD tuner only for Europe) it isn’t actually equipped to receive an HD signal internally. The part where the HD card slots in can only process an SD signal – which means RGB (as in SD RGB usually delivered via EuroSCART) or S-Video. So what is happening is the HD tuner receives the HD signal, then down-converts it to SD for processing and display.

This is an absolute sham and I’m personally very pissed off. One of the main selling features for me buying this panel was its internal HD tuner, and to find out its delivering only an SD picture on HD channels is a disgrace. Its also a classic case of false advertising.

Now remember people, I am putting this post up to help people out, not to start trouble or to make people unhappy. If you have any doubts whatsoever about what I’m saying, remember all you have to do is hook up an HD STB via component/HDMI and switch between it and the set’s own HD tuner on a true HD show. If you can’t see a dramatically superior picture from the HD STB you need a serious eye examination.

The sad thing is this panel actually looks very good with an external HD STB, and if LG had just been honest and either left it without a tuner, or better incorporated one that delivered a proper HD signal, it would be very good for the money.

As it stands now I will be retuning mine and going for a panel without HD tuner, given there is no point in keeping the LG for this feature. A real shame too as I like the overall picture and aesthetics of this screen.

Sorry to be the bringer of such bad news :blink:

Thanks for this news Trainspotter. As someone who was seriously considering going ahead and purchasing this panel I am glad that you have posted this news.

I might try and find a store with one of these on display and see if I can do the test there - not that I'm doubting you, but I'd be keen to see this in action.

So...now for an alternative panel....back to the drawing board....suggestions please.........

Chris

Thanks for this news Trainspotter. As someone who was seriously considering going ahead and purchasing this panel I am glad that you have posted this news.

No problem. I was actually a little reluctant to post as I don't want to make people stress, or make them unhappy with their purchase if they already have one. However this a serious defect and one people should be aware of before buying.

I might try and find a store with one of these on display and see if I can do the test there - not that I'm doubting you, but I'd be keen to see this in action.

Please do! The more people that confirm this problem the more it will treated seriously. Remember to make sure its a native HD program (not up-converted) for a proper comparison.

So...now for an alternative panel....back to the drawing board....suggestions please.........

Personally I'll be going for the Panasonic 60A with external HD box. A shame as it doesn't look as good aesthetically, but its picture is excellent for the money.

Thanks for that. According to the link I posted before, europe does get a hidef tuner though

Europe gets an internal SD DVB-T tuner. Not HD (as they don't have any full-time HD free to air broadcasting yet). That's the problem. This set appears to be designed for an internal SD tuner, but not an HD one. External HD sources via component/HDMI are fine however.

Interesting,

I was pretty much set on the Pana PV until i saw mention of this TV on here. I figured that for around the same price i could get the inbuilt tuner so it was at least was worth considering. I went and had a look at one and immediately crossed it off due to the poor image coming from the internal tuner.