New Lg Hd Plasma With Hd Tuner

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

THanks mate.

How should I go about with getting LG to come out and upgrade my firmware ?

Give them a ring explain situation,see what they say and go from there,my experience with lg is not to give up,just got this plasma as a replacement after 3 years, after buying the biggest dud technolgy

DLP and still today they are crap.This tv seems to be ok,picture can be pixelated at times.So I going to upgrade my antenna using RG6 cable and see how I go from there.

Hi All,

New to this forum.

I am currently looking for a plasma.

I was thinking of purchasing the Panasonic TH-42PA60A but was in the Good Guys at Fyshwick today and the sales person thought I was better off purchasing the LG 42PC1DV.

Not sure I need to spend the extra money to get the 42PC1DG.

Price listed was $1788 before I did any haggling.

Anyone with any thoughts?

thanks.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest simon5574
Hi All,

New to this forum.

I am currently looking for a plasma.

I was thinking of purchasing the Panasonic TH-42PA60A but was in the Good Guys at Fyshwick today and the sales person thought I was better off purchasing the LG 42PC1DV.

Not sure I need to spend the extra money to get the 42PC1DG.

Price listed was $1788 before I did any haggling.

Anyone with any thoughts?

thanks.

My parents just bought the LG PC1DG yesterday and i have the PC1DV (bought about 6 months ago).

Good question, what are the key differences?

Apart from one being black and about $700 more

Re Firmware upgrade, is there a national number or something i can ring, i spent ages look through this thread.

I have version 3.00 and HD is the same as SD picture

My parents just bought the LG PC1DG yesterday and i have the PC1DV (bought about 6 months ago).

Good question, what are the key differences?

Apart from one being black and about $700 more

Re Firmware upgrade, is there a national number or something i can ring, i spent ages look through this thread.

I have version 3.00 and HD is the same as SD picture

PC1DG is a HD screen, and PC1DV is a SD screen.

Guest simon5574

Thanks for the quick reply,

Both have HD tuners but only one has a HD screen, why bother with an inbuilt HD tuner then?. LG are weird

Thanks for the quick reply,

Both have HD tuners but only one has a HD screen, why bother with an inbuilt HD tuner then?. LG are weird

Progressive Scan versus Interlaced. It makes a small difference but is great marketing.

The Th42PA60 has a better picture than LG but requires a sepearate STB (+ sep remote) and doesnt have PC input.

Instead, the new Samsung 42" HD plasma with HD tuner is down to $2349 at Myer now and I know someone in Vic that can do very close to the price you had on the SD LG.

Also, 2yr warranty standard.

Guest simon5574

So saying DG is about $700 more

Which set is better value for money?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi new here. I just bought my LG 42PC1DG from the good guys castle hill for 2000(the 1080p must be really close now). When I press both menu buttons I don't get the menu to show me the firmware?? Is there more to it or have LG changed the button codes to reveal the hidden menu?? :blink:

Thanks TC1

Press menu on the remote nad menu on the tv and a hidden menu will pop up,you can go to version menu 7.

Hi new here. I just bought my LG 42PC1DG from the good guys castle hill for 2000(the 1080p must be really close now). When I press both menu buttons I don't get the menu to show me the firmware?? Is there more to it or have LG changed the button codes to reveal the hidden menu?? :blink:

Thanks TC1

I tried it yesterday and it worked ok. Try pressing the TV menu button slightly before the remote and just wait a few seconds. It dosen't appear straight away.

Cheers.

my 42PC1DG recently froze on me when turning it to channel 9.

I looked through this forum and have a few questions

My TV is the following verison

CPU ver: 3.12.0

Micom V: V3.02

Is it old? or recent? I got my TV from Jb Hifi in Nov. 06. Can I take it back to them if its old or do I have to bug LG to upgrade me.

It takes like 10seconds from when I hit the power button to display the channel on the screen. Does anyone else have this problem?

my 42PC1DG recently froze on me when turning it to channel 9.

I looked through this forum and have a few questions

My TV is the following verison

CPU ver: 3.12.0

Micom V: V3.02

Is it old? or recent? I got my TV from Jb Hifi in Nov. 06. Can I take it back to them if its old or do I have to bug LG to upgrade me.

It takes like 10seconds from when I hit the power button to display the channel on the screen. Does anyone else have this problem?

I heard that Channel 9 has been transmitting unusual and infrequent surges through their HD digital transmissions and that that has been causing freezing on LG integrated tuners. They say the problem can be fixed by unplugging the tv from the wall for five minutes before switching the tv back on. If that does not work then go back into the menu and re-tune in the digital channels.

Hope this helps.

For anyone interested my local good guys(hoppers crossing) have the 42PC1DG model for $2300. I heard the salesman talking to a customer and said the lowest he could do it for was $2200.

Hope this helps.

Over the weekend I had a return of my LG 42PC1DG freezing on channel 9 both Saturday afternoon and Sunday evening (during the last couple of minutes of 20 to 1).

I called Penisula TV who I have had service my panel before. They told me it is channel 9 doing some upgrade on their digital service and errors are being received in the stream that the tuner doesn't like. They told me to unplug the unit for an hour and plug it back in. I said that is simply not good enough and asked about a firmware upgrade. They said they are working on one but one is not yet available.

I bought a TV to watch not switch off for 1 hour and stare at a blank screen! :blink:

Seriously unimpressed I decided to give LG a call. Thier Customer Service 1800 number was engaged for the first few minutes. After getting through I had a very lengthy queue wait. Once through I was told there techs were working with channel 9 to resolve the issue but at the moment there is no fix. He also stated they had received 200+ calls this morning from customers.

Edited by mickyt71

Industry news...

A software glitch has been blamed for certain LG televisions which were found to freeze when playing Channel Nine digital television shows in metropolitan Sydney and Melbourne over the weekend, prompting further investigation into the problem.

According to LG ..., LG’s customer service line received various calls reporting the problem, which is believed to affect up to six models, both LCD and plasma, but not including the latest line of LG televisions sporting digital television tuners and hard disk-drives.

“It’s too early yet to say if a national recall will be put in place, because we’re unsure of what’s causing the problem,” ... users are not at risk of harm from the affected televisions.

LG and Channel 9 technicians have been monitoring and recording the broadcast streams and are in the process of analysing the data to establish the cause of the problem.

“The problem is either with the digital transmission or the coding with the digital transmission." If this is correct, consumers who own the affected models will need only a software upgrade instead of a new television.

“The freezing problem is happening intermittently at various times on various programs".

LG anticipates being able to advise on the cause of the glitch in the coming days. In the meantime, customers experiencing problems are advised to turn their TV off and unplug their TV at the wall power socket (leaving off for at least 2-3 minutes) allowing the unit to completely power down. Once the TV is powered back on and re-boots, normal viewing should be possible. <end>

Hope this helps a few of those affected, atleast they are trying to fix this up...

Brazzwald

Hope this helps a few of those affected, atleast they are trying to fix this up...

Brazzwald

The problem is the fault was being reported as early as December 06 (Thats just on this forum.) Why has it taken them four months to finally start looking at a solution?

A software glitch has been blamed for certain LG televisions which were found to freeze when playing Channel Nine digital television shows in metropolitan Sydney and Melbourne over the weekend, prompting further investigation into the problem.

It wasn't just Sydney and Melbourne- i am in Brisbane and had the same thing happen to me last night...

Where did you get this news? And has anything appeared on an official LG site yet?

Do a recall and give me the next model up! I will stop harrassing them then.

Called them twice today and the wait time has been 30min+ each time and no solution.

How long does it take for everyone else from when they hit the power button on the remote to the time they see an image.. mine takes 10-12sec.

Is anyone having problems with Ten HD? The image appears on the screen but no sound comes until 5sec later? I never had this problem before I retuned my TV.

Edited by latino

Has anyone tried different picture settings and found one they liked? eg: standard,cool etc

The settings I use are as follows

Contrast 60

Brightness 90

Colour 55

Sharpness ~20

It's official, go to WWW.lghdt.com.au and then go to the software upgrade tab and enter your details and they will send out a technician to give you the latest firmware update which should fix the freezing problem.

I have already submitted mine.

In fact the problem was in today’s Sydney telegraph.

Cheers all.

John G