New Lg Hd Plasma With Hd Tuner

After the firmware upgrade, there is a definite visible difference between SD and HD channels. It is very clear, much more detail and colour depth on the HD chanel, for the same program (CH9 vs CH90).

It may indeed be the case that the LG produces a very good SD picture, making the difference less obvious - I hooked up an exteral SD box, and the picture produced was of much lower quality than the internal LG tuner.

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi All....

I spent an hour at hardly normal today looking at the 42PC1DV ($1995) and the 42PC1DG ($2500) and, true to my form, decided to research it before buying...That's what brought me here...

Firstly, the sales man pointed out immediately that the 42PC1DV output was standard definition and proceeded to show me the difference between the 2 models (the mesh screen effect was more visible on the 42PC1DV...

I knew nothing of the issue with this until i read the posts on this forum...

But I can tell you that the difference between the 2 models stuck out like the proverbial canine testicals....

But I have made several notes from the posts here and i will go back tomorrow morning armed with my clipboard and ready to grill the salesman....

But from what I saw today....I will be bringing one home...

The bottom line to me is..I can't afford 4 to 5 Grand for a plasma and the 42PC1DG Craps all over what I'm watching now...and the price is definately affordable to me....

Let me know if theres anything you want me to ask him....

Cheers

Hi All....

I spent an hour at hardly normal today looking at the 42PC1DV ($1995) and the 42PC1DG ($2500) and, true to my form, decided to research it before buying...That's what brought me here...

Firstly, the sales man pointed out immediately that the 42PC1DV output was standard definition and proceeded to show me the difference between the 2 models (the mesh screen effect was more visible on the 42PC1DV...

I knew nothing of the issue with this until i read the posts on this forum...

But I can tell you that the difference between the 2 models stuck out like the proverbial canine testicals....

But I have made several notes from the posts here and i will go back tomorrow morning armed with my clipboard and ready to grill the salesman....

But from what I saw today....I will be bringing one home...

The bottom line to me is..I can't afford 4 to 5 Grand for a plasma and the 42PC1DG Craps all over what I'm watching now...and the price is definately affordable to me....

Let me know if theres anything you want me to ask him....

Cheers

I suppose the obvious question is if we buy an LG 42PC1DG today, has it already got the software upgrade done. I am starting to think they don't and we would still have to go through the hassle of finding a dealer to come out and do it.

I suppose the obvious question is if we buy an LG 42PC1DG today, has it already got the software upgrade done. I am starting to think they don't and we would still have to go through the hassle of finding a dealer to come out and do it.

Absolutely agree - A good question to ask: Which firmware version is on the panels in store now?

I purchased a 42PC1DG in the first week of september and besides the SD/HD problem, also had issues with it freezing on Prime & Win intermitently (see previous posts). It had firmware V3.01.0

The store I bought it from has been very helpfull and replaced it with a brand new unit last week. There have been no freezing issues since, and on top of that, the new Firmware V3.03.0 has in my opinion fixed the HD issue as well. There is now a very noticable difference between SD and true HD programs.

I had to wait 3 weeks for new stock to come in as there was a huge back-order with LG apparently......so I'd say that all new units now will also have the new firmware.

Additionally, last week I got to see the 42PC1DG alongside the new Panasonic TH-42PX600A and I'm very satisfied that I didn't pay the extra $800 for the Pana. In my opinion there is bugger all difference that warrents the extra bucks. For $2500 the LG is a bargain.

If you are going to look at one of these new LG's, get the salesman to find the remote and then you can check the firmware version on their display model yourself. (just press & hold menu on the remote and menu on the panel at the same time) If it's V3.03.0, that tells you that all their stock should be the same.

Thanks for the info modtec, I have had this unit since September and am completely satisfied with it apart from the SD/HD issue. A technician is coming to my place tomorrow to upgrade the firmware so I'll keep you all posted. If HD is improved then this is definitely the unit to buy for the price. Looks like the problem has been solved!!!!

John G.

I was an early purchaser of the LG 42PC1DG back in August. Mine came with firmware v3.01 and I subsequently had it upgraded to v3.03. After reading the posts of others it does now look as if v3.03 really is the latest and that reporting of v3.23 was a red herring that applied to the 50" version.

A few weeks ago I purchased a Toppy 7000 HD STB. I needed an STB to record to my DV-R and got the Toppy because it is often quoted as being the best but also because it allows up to 25 pre-set timings, far more than any other STB.

I hooked the Toppy up to the LG 42PC1DG with both the component cables supplied by Topfield and also an HDMI cable I bought for about $30.

One of the problems in analysing this whole hi-def question is that there is so little native hi-def being broadcast. Firstly the ABC and SBS are not yet in the game and Seven is only partially in. That just leaves Nine and Ten who broadcast some programs in 1080i. And since American content and other movie content is somewhat suspect that really just leaves programs coming from Nine and Ten's studios. Even then they are often showing video clips or adverts that just aren't native HD.

So with that narrow opportunity to judge by I have compared both the SD and the HD picture quality eminating from the Toppy via Component cable and HDMI cable and via the LG's own tuner. And guess what? The LG's own tuner (for me) comes out best for both SD and HD.

Now it could be argued that my HDMI cable was too cheap but I've read that price doesn't make much difference and I'm buggered if I'll spend $200 to extend this experiment.

Right now HD is in its infancy in Australia. One day all TV, including sporting events, will be in HD and then we will really know if the LG 42PC1DG is worth its salt. For now I'm prepared to believe that its SD is well above par and therefore harder to tell from its HD.

Right now HD is in its infancy in Australia. One day all TV, including sporting events, will be in HD and then we will really know if the LG 42PC1DG is worth its salt.

True, but by that day, the 42PC1DG will actually be salt, having slowly mineralised after millions of years of exposure to the elements...

:blink:

Guest emmcee55

I've just had the firmware on my set upgraded to ver 3.03 and I can't say I can notice much difference yet. I realise now that there is very little true HD programming being broadcast in Australia at this stage - hopefully that will improve in time. At least I will have a decent display if and when I purchase a HD or Blueray DVD player.

• 2 weeks later...

Well went down to Hardly Normal at Taren Point today, told the salesman about this problem and got the usual no it can't be true as LG would have told them if it was.

Anyway got him to get the remote and found the following:

CPU Vers: 3.04.0

Micom Ver: 3.00

So I think this would be okay, it is the CPU Version that has to be 3.03.0 or above, the Micom version is irrelevant?

Just hoping to confirm before handing over the cash $2468 I think it was on special for.

Right now HD is in its infancy in Australia. One day all TV, including sporting events, will be in HD and then we will really know if the LG 42PC1DG is worth its salt.

They are broadcasting AFL in HD next year. I think it's just a trial but they are doing it.

CPU Vers: 3.04.0

Micom Ver: 3.00

So I think this would be okay, it is the CPU Version that has to be 3.03.0 or above, the Micom version is irrelevant?

Hi,

I bought this TV two days ago and I am very happy with it. I did just want to check on the firmware version however....I have the same details as the above guy and was also wondering whether it is the CPU or mircom version that counts? Can somebody who has had the upgrade please advise both of us on this matter!

Thanks.

Hi all,

Has anyone had a serious go at optimising the PQ on this unit yet? I am just starting to fiddle with the contrast etc to see what is best and I would be interested in anything that others have found.

I've found that the most straightforward improvement to PQ is had by just turning the brightness down by 1 to 2 notches. This dramatically improves rendering of black.

Anyone got any tips to share?

Cheers,

Colin.

I have the 42" LCD version of this display (the manual covers both the 42PC1DG Plasma and 42LC2D LCD models) and the salesman at the time mentioned that he had noticed the HD/SD problem with the Plasma but not the LCD. Whether or not thats due to the Plasma being the older firmware revision I don't know, but I can definitely see a substantial difference between SD and HD on my LG.

• 2 weeks later...

hi I am writing this on behalf of a friend who has just bought one of these,

he has been quite happy with his however spoted a few times while using it that every now and then the speakers on the tv would clip and crackle (at normal volume) and at the same time a black line would flash across the screen this was very intermitent but seing that it was only a week old he rang to get it replaced under waranty. However now the new tv has been recieved it appears it could be a slightly different revision it is labeled as a 42PC1DG-AA does anyone else know if this is a newer version or if it is older and if it is newer what has been revised? I will go have a look tomorrow and see what exactly is different from what he told me the stand and also button placement seems to be altered. Will update you all tomorow.

Im new to this forum but thought you guys would like to know that i recently purchased the 42PC1DG for $2300 delivered with a component cable thrown in.

just a quick question to see if anybody knows how to get the epg to display all channels rather than just the associated channels that you are currently viewing. I saw that this was raised earlier in the topic but there does not seem to be any replies to the query.

Thanks for all your help in advance.

• 3 weeks later...