Warranty Question

Howdy,

I'm looking at purchasing a clearance item (Marantz DVD player). The seller will provide only 30 days RTB on it because it's been used for in-store demo (allegedly about 30-40 hours) and is priced so cheap. Marantz offer 3yrs warranty (I'm pretty sure this is correct).

I tried talking him around to a full store warranty but he won't budge.

My queries....

Even if the seller won't provide warranty, should Marantz (or Qualifi the Oz rep for Marantz) still provide the full warranty.... not sure how i'd go about accessing this as it's a bit like when a shop goes bust and you need waranty help.

It's a significant saving on the item but i'm trying to quantify the risk to me if this character turns out to be a member of the dodgy brothers syndicate.

Obviously the first pitfall is the item may be more than "40 hours" old. Service/support is my next concern in the case of operating troubles.

Peoples experience with this type of issue - specifically with Marantz or other manufacturers when the vendor is no longer helpful would be of value to me. Please contribute :blink:

That's a hard one to answer. For one, unless he's an authorised Marantz retailer you have no chance of Marantz doing anything! He's essentially selling something second hand, so he's about right in what he said. However, is it a full money back guarantee or does he offer a "credit" on anything else in store? If it's the former (make it clear) then go for it, given that before the time is up on the warranty it doesn’t break down you should (should!) be O.K. If it's the later, then forget it! You'll end up buying crap you don't want just to use you're store credit. Ultimately should test it there in store too. How much of a saving is it anyway?

Good luck :blink:

I think we've got this a bit backwards. There's no requirement for a manufacturer to offer any waranty at all. Its something they do as an extra to provide added value and give potential customers another reason to buy the product.

Of course all your normal statutory waranty rights still exist and even if you bought it with a 30 day waranty these would still be applicable many months down the track. The dealers being straight up and giving you a large discount and knowledge of the products history. If you find a fault after purchase that this knowledge and a careful inspection of the machine would not have suggested (eg the right side of the screen turns bluish after 1 hour of running) then you should be quite entitled to take the item back.

But as mentioned, its a risk that may or may not pay off, and might entail a fair bit of angst and letter writing to put into effect.

That said, a 30 day warranty period suggests that the dealer is acting in good faith. Its plenty of time to evaluate the TV and any quirks. If everything is working fine in that period there's nothing to suggest its a dodgy product. You're just trading the standard risk we all have that any unit might prematurely fail after a year or two, for some up front savings.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

I think we've got this a bit backwards. There's no requirement for a manufacturer to offer any waranty at all. Its something they do as an extra to provide added value and give potential customers another reason to buy the product.

Of course all your normal statutory waranty rights still exist and even if you bought it with a 30 day waranty these would still be applicable many months down the track. The dealers being straight up and giving you a large discount and knowledge of the products history. If you find a fault after purchase that this knowledge and a careful inspection of the machine would not have suggested (eg the right side of the screen turns bluish after 1 hour of running) then you should be quite entitled to take the item back.

But as mentioned, its a risk that may or may not pay off, and might entail a fair bit of angst and letter writing to put into effect.

That said, a 30 day warranty period suggests that the dealer is acting in good faith. Its plenty of time to evaluate the TV and any quirks. If everything is working fine in that period there's nothing to suggest its a dodgy product. You're just trading the standard risk we all have that any unit might prematurely fail after a year or two, for some up front savings.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

I've never known dealers to sell ex-demo equipment with anything less than a full warranty.It would be sensible to take a witness along and ask the dealer if their is anything wrong with the machine.As far as I am aware the retailer is always responsible for the warranty allthough these days the standard response is to handball any defective items to an authorised repairer.

Gordon

All good feedback thanks!

I'm aware that manufacturers don't have to provide warranty... but they do and so tha'ts part of the purchase contract I guess (even if the guy isn't a registered marantz dealer??)

The saving is about 30% (less if I can squerzze the price lower on a new unit locally). THe vendor is a hole in the wall I think and interstate at any rate so I can't view before I buy.

Basically it's about a $650 saving (vs a new product) riding on the vendor being upfront in that the unit is just ex-demo and perfectly ok.

It's significant enough to make the decision difficult :D.

Part of it is after talking on the ph with the vendor I felt like things were a little shady - The discussion didn't leave me brimming with confidence about the product history actually being what he said.... maybe he was just in a rush and not trying to be dodgy /shrug... who knows. His store has a reasonable rep from what I know though so i'm just unsure at the moment!

I guess I have always felt that if a product is being sold as a "new" item then the warranty should be standard for that item (which is where my confusion between store vs manufacturer warranty arose).

I do need to confirm what happens if it's not good. There's a big grey area there I have dealt with before in regard to a high spec monitor and it cost me extra $$, lots of heartache/threats of violence and time to resolve. What happens if I need warranty support and the vendor is no longer in business? Wouldn't be much different in my case if he won't provide support.

On the other hand I have an ex-demo pj on offer from elsewhere that I feel 100% safe about because the vendor is willing to back himself fully on the item and was very open about it's use and pitfalls of buying this way...

Maybe i'll just go with my gut and shell out for a new one :blink:

All good feedback thanks!

I'm aware that manufacturers don't have to provide warranty... but they do and so tha'ts part of the purchase contract I guess (even if the guy isn't a registered marantz dealer??)

The saving is about 30% (less if I can squerzze the price lower on a new unit locally). THe vendor is a hole in the wall I think and interstate at any rate so I can't view before I buy.

Basically it's about a $650 saving (vs a new product) riding on the vendor being upfront in that the unit is just ex-demo and perfectly ok.

It's significant enough to make the decision difficult :D.

Part of it is after talking on the ph with the vendor I felt like things were a little shady - The discussion didn't leave me brimming with confidence about the product history actually being what he said.... maybe he was just in a rush and not trying to be dodgy /shrug... who knows. His store has a reasonable rep from what I know though so i'm just unsure at the moment!

I guess I have always felt that if a product is being sold as a "new" item then the warranty should be standard for that item (which is where my confusion between store vs manufacturer warranty arose).

I do need to confirm what happens if it's not good. There's a big grey area there I have dealt with before in regard to a high spec monitor and it cost me extra $$, lots of heartache/threats of violence and time to resolve. What happens if I need warranty support and the vendor is no longer in business? Wouldn't be much different in my case if he won't provide support.

On the other hand I have an ex-demo pj on offer from elsewhere that I feel 100% safe about because the vendor is willing to back himself fully on the item and was very open about it's use and pitfalls of buying this way...

Maybe i'll just go with my gut and shell out for a new one :blink:

I think getting a new one would be the best way to go, if something is ringing alarm bells then trust your intuition ,your probably not wrong.

Gordon

When selling a product as a retailer in Australia you warrant it is of merchantable quality. This basically means that it is of sound quality, that it will do what it is supposed to, and is without defect. Normally a manufacturer will support their warranty even if it is ex-demo, unless the warranty period has run out since they sold it. The retailer, unless he clearly explains why the warranty is not valid, or why he cannot give full store warranty, he can be sued later should you have a problem - costly exercise though.

I would check with the supplier and see what they say.

When selling a product as a retailer in Australia you warrant it is of merchantable quality. This basically means that it is of sound quality, that it will do what it is supposed to, and is without defect.

As a general convention yes. But the guy at Harvey Norman can also say, look its ex demo, it might break down tomorrow, might break down in 2020. I'll sell it to you for half price but don't come to me if something happens. This is quite legal and (IMO) completely ethical. That's what this seller seems to have done.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

As a general convention yes. But the guy at Harvey Norman can also say, look its ex demo, it might break down tomorrow, might break down in 2020. I'll sell it to you for half price but don't come to me if something happens. This is quite legal and (IMO) completely ethical. That's what this seller seems to have done.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

indeed... the question is, do I have confidence in what he has said about the usage of the item and it's operability. Vide the "ex-demo" pj you could buy where the bulb life has been reset as an example.

The simple answer is the vendor can offer what he likes and if, after purchase I am in a bind with the product it's me who will rely on his goodwill, the manufacturer for support or be forced to try and make the vendor sort things out.

THe common theme is me making effort... Hopefully i'll hear back from Qualifi by the weekend with an idea on what process they would suggest should I run into strife and need to use my manufacturer warrant. I'm not going to rely on the vendor....

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Provided the product serial number has not already been registered with the manufacturer, and the supplier DOES NOT place this warranty condition in writing ( on the sales invoice or contract) then you are entitled to full manufacturer's warranty. Verbal means crap in this situation. If there were an issue down the track, it would not be up to you to prove that you were offered the full warranty, it would be up to the supplier to prove that they offered conditions outside of the manufacturer's, if it isn't in writing. But personally, you don't know the true history of the machine. I would not take a chance. I would leave it.

I work in the retail Home Entertainment "arena" and quite simple everything we sell regardless wether it's been a floor demo or not, is sold with the manufacturers warranty. It isn't classed second hand til the first purchaser buys it. The first purchaser gets the warranty even if we sell a demo model a year later

We have sold the odd unit that has been between 12-18 months old....demo models, with the full warranty.

As long as the first purchaser keeps the receipt showing the date that it was purchased...the manufacturer honours the warranty starting from that date.

The exception to the rule is if we have had a unit returned to us that needs fixing and after fixing it under warranty terms the client no longer wants it. Because it has been fixed under warranty terms....if we were to onsell the product....it would have to be under the original purchase date warranty.

When it is first fixed.....the serial number is recorded with the purchase date....it has a history.

If we sold a returned repaired unit ( we dont ) 6 months after it was first repaired, it would be only covered by the remaining balance of the manufacturers warranty, because if it was returned for another repair the "history" would show the first date of purchase. All warranty repairs would start from the original purchase date no matter how many times it was "sold"

So to get to the "guts" of this....legally, unless it is second hand ie. been sold....it has to be covered by the manufacturers original warranty conditions. (normally 12 months).

Hope this aint too confusing.

Mistar2

I work in the retail Home Entertainment "arena" and quite simple everything we sell regardless wether it's been a floor demo or not, is sold with the manufacturers warranty. It isn't classed second hand til the first purchaser buys it. The first purchaser gets the warranty even if we sell a demo model a year later

We have sold the odd unit that has been between 12-18 months old....demo models, with the full warranty.

As long as the first purchaser keeps the receipt showing the date that it was purchased...the manufacturer honours the warranty starting from that date.

The exception to the rule is if we have had a unit returned to us that needs fixing and after fixing it under warranty terms the client no longer wants it. Because it has been fixed under warranty terms....if we were to onsell the product....it would have to be under the original purchase date warranty.

When it is first fixed.....the serial number is recorded with the purchase date....it has a history.

If we sold a returned repaired unit ( we dont ) 6 months after it was first repaired, it would be only covered by the remaining balance of the manufacturers warranty, because if it was returned for another repair the "history" would show the first date of purchase. All warranty repairs would start from the original purchase date no matter how many times it was "sold"

So to get to the "guts" of this....legally, unless it is second hand ie. been sold....it has to be covered by the manufacturers original warranty conditions. (normally 12 months).

Hope this aint too confusing.

Mistar2

Like I said, never known a dealer to sell ex-demo equipment with anything less than the full warranty.Your warranty begins form your date of purchase,as substantiated by your receipt.As I understand Australian law , should the retailer go bust or disappear the manufacturer is under no legal obligation to undertake repairs however most will repair good purchased in OZ land during the warranty period.Much of the time these days you will simply be reffered to an authorised repairer, by the dealer, and all they are interested in is whether the customer or the manufacturer is paying ,if your receipt says the product is within the standard warranty period for the unit then they will claim from the manufacturer.The only exception I can think of would be if the retailer was known to be a 'grey importer'.

Gordon

Regards

Peter Gillespie

That is what they may say - but that isn't the law. As ddarby says the manufacturer warranty is valid. Although retailers do a lot of things that the public just seem to accept, doesn't mean its the law. The only way he can change anything in terms of his responsibilities as a retailer is to put it in writing and for the buyer to sign acceptance. I deal with multi millions of purchases every day and manage the warranty and IP laws between buyers and sellers for an organisation you pay your taxes to :D

That is what they may say - but that isn't the law. As ddarby says the manufacturer warranty is valid. Although retailers do a lot of things that the public just seem to accept, doesn't mean its the law. The only way he can change anything in terms of his responsibilities as a retailer is to put it in writing and for the buyer to sign acceptance. I deal with multi millions of purchases every day and manage the warranty and IP laws between buyers and sellers for an organisation you pay your taxes to :P

Oh and no I don't work for the tax office :blink: