Sign in to follow this  
Rusty Trawler

70" Rptv Options

Thanks Omega for the quick reply and comprehensive answer. Harvey Norman Chadstone (ex-Megamart) has LG and Toshiba 70-inch RPTVs side by side on display, and I saw them last weekend. I thought the LG looked nicer (the actual unit not the picture quality) but otherwise couldn't see much difference between them. Both were over $7k in price.

Thanks Omega for the quick reply and comprehensive answer. Harvey Norman Chadstone (ex-Megamart) has LG and Toshiba 70-inch RPTVs side by side on display, and I saw them last weekend. I thought the LG looked nicer (the actual unit not the picture quality) but otherwise couldn't see much difference between them. Both were over $7k in price.

Thats great that they are both side by side. I wish someone up in Bris had that setup.

Maybe you could take in a few DVDs, and HD test material to see how each one fares.

Dont forget to test both bright and dark DVDs, otherwise you will be playing one to its strenghts over the other (unless of course you predominantly watch movies with heaps of dark scenes, in which case the Toshi will be the clear choice for you).

Erwin if you are unsure about the two TV's (like I was before my Toshiba purchase) do the following :

Put both TV's into dark viewing room (HN should have one) and watch something like star wars

check both with a genuine 1080i HDTV input and look carefully as darker and more normal scenes. noth TVs will look good with bright scenes

spend at least and hour carefully comparing similar images ideally at the same time

Remember also, the Toshiba is by far better quality than the LG. The LG is overpriced end of story. The endless threads regarding LG all agree that LG is a lower quality manufacturer and therefore is always priced lower than the better quality products. Toshiba has been a leader in RPTV for years. LG has been blundering through RPTV with some horrible products. You should be buying the LG for $1,000 CHEAPER than the Toshiba. Its like buying a Holden for the same price as say a BMW.

Erwin if you are unsure about the two TV's (like I was before my Toshiba purchase) do the following :

Put both TV's into dark viewing room (HN should have one) and watch something like star wars

check both with a genuine 1080i HDTV input and look carefully as darker and more normal scenes. noth TVs will look good with bright scenes

spend at least and hour carefully comparing similar images ideally at the same time

Remember also, the Toshiba is by far better quality than the LG. The LG is overpriced end of story. The endless threads regarding LG all agree that LG is a lower quality manufacturer and therefore is always priced lower than the better quality products. Toshiba has been a leader in RPTV for years. LG has been blundering through RPTV with some horrible products. You should be buying the LG for $1,000 CHEAPER than the Toshiba. Its like buying a Holden for the same price as say a BMW.

Why are you telling him to run a biased test when he is trying to critically compare two products?

You tell him dark room to overcome the DLPs deficiency in bright viewing environments without asking if he has a dedicated environment at home.

Then you tell him to run a dark movie like star wars, and look at the dark scenes in that to play again on the strengths of the Toshiba.

He wants to compare which set is right for him, not simply confirm that purchasing the Toshiba was the right choice, because he hasnt made the decision yet.

And referring to LGs past lack of quality is misleading when you dont also point out the lack of issues to date with this set, in contrast to the already well established issues people are having with the Toshiba.

Its all well and good to sit down with all the facts and make a decision one way or another, but running tests that favour one set over another is completely counterproductve.

I have to admit I am concerned about the Toshiba lamps blowing out, while there has been little problems I've read about LG besides lack of "blackness". Mmm... it's a tough choice... I am very thankful for the advice though. I'll be making the purchase in the next 2 to 4 weeks so I will be reporting back...

I wouldnt be toooo concerned with the lamp issue if it is what Toshiba is saying it is.... a faulty batch of lamps.

Ideally, if its going to blow, it will blow quickly (inside warranty) and youll get about 300 hrs free viewing as they will replace it.

The concern will be whether or not the faulty batch IS the cause of the lamps blowing. If its a design issue, then replacing the lamp isnt going to accomplish anything long term. Will be interesting to see what happens when teh replaced lamps get to 3-400hrs and if any blow again. Because surely theyd replace any lamps that blow with ones from a new batch to minimise the negative consumer response.

Id actually be more concerned by the diagonal line issue, but as long as they keep replacing sets, and its an "either you have it or you dont" issue rather than a gradual thing, it should also be fine.

One would hope that this 'phenomenally cheap' price that we keep hearing about with the Toshibas wasnt accomplished by cutting corners.

Why are you telling him to run a biased test when he is trying to critically compare two products?

You tell him dark room to overcome the DLPs deficiency in bright viewing environments without asking if he has a dedicated environment at home.

Then you tell him to run a dark movie like star wars, and look at the dark scenes in that to play again on the strengths of the Toshiba.

He wants to compare which set is right for him, not simply confirm that purchasing the Toshiba was the right choice, because he hasnt made the decision yet.

And referring to LGs past lack of quality is misleading when you dont also point out the lack of issues to date with this set, in contrast to the already well established issues people are having with the Toshiba.

Its all well and good to sit down with all the facts and make a decision one way or another, but running tests that favour one set over another is completely counterproductve.

Mate, you are way off the mark with this post :

He has already seen the TV in a BRIGHT environment. Its very difficult to get a good guage of picture quality in a bright environment. The home environment is not always bright and therefore I suggested he view both TV's in the same dark situation to BALANCE out the overall viewing experience. It would be dangerous to purchase a TV of this value without seeing it in a more 'natural enviornment'. I don't understand how my post is not HELPING him make the purchase decision.

In relation to quality. Mate, you really are way off here. LG is generally regarded as poor quality and that the prices should be lower than a more reputable brandnames. Again, if he wants to buy an LG at the same or higher price than a Toshiba that's his decision but at least this has been brought to his attention. He can listen to the advice or ignore it.

Further, in relation to the faults of the Toshiba. The faults are related to the bulb, the single component of every RPTV that needs to be replaced. It would seem there is a faulty batch of lamps. This is not the end of the world. The comforting thing about the Toshiba is that it uses the Texas Instruments DLP chip which is widely regarded as very reliable. The LG uses a proprietary LCOS implementation which has no where near the number of sets in the market that the DLP chip does. Again, he can chose to ignore the advice if he wishes, its just a question of balance.

Finally, you are implying that my post was misleading. The guy is reading this forum where the posts about the Toshiba faults are being posted. He already knows of the lamp problem and the faint line problem. There is no point duplicating information in the public domain.

Cheers

Mate, you are way off the mark with this post :

He has already seen the TV in a BRIGHT environment. Its very difficult to get a good guage of picture quality in a bright environment. The home environment is not always bright and therefore I suggested he view both TV's in the same dark situation to BALANCE out the overall viewing experience. It would be dangerous to purchase a TV of this value without seeing it in a more 'natural enviornment'. I don't understand how my post is not HELPING him make the purchase decision.

No the home environment is not always as bright, but its also not always "a dark viewing room" either. He needs to make a selection based on HIS viewing environment, and if he has a dedicated theatre room, or only really intends on using it at night, then fine, a dark viewing room is the logical suggestion...but if he intends putting the set in a living room or such, and viewing during the day just as much as at night, testing in a dark viewing room can potentially mislead him in his decision "looked great in that dark room...why does it look **** for Saturday Arvo footy in my living room."

The guy is reading this forum where the posts about the Toshiba faults are being posted. He already knows of the lamp problem and the faint line problem. There is no point duplicating information in the public domain.

And yet you chose to duplicate information about LGs reliability from "The endless threads regarding LG."

Its not necessarily about incorrectness of information that is misleading, its about the selective inclusion of some, and the selective omission of others.

For example, you refer to LGs past history of unreliability when talking about their new set which is thus far problem free, and compare it to Toshiba's history of reliability when talking about a set that has already actually suffered two critical faults.

Yes it may just be a defective batch of lamps, but despite knowing about the lamp issue, they chose to continue building sets using those lamps...and that is the better case scenario...the other is that its related to another issue entirely. It may also be a simple and logical explanation for the 'line issue' too, though it has not yet been forthcoming.

the vast majority of posts on these forums are simply 'duplicating information' that has been posted previously or elsewhere. If you were that concerned about duplication, you wouldnt have posted reccommending the set at all, as he could have just read your posts in the Toshiba thread.

If i were him, id want all the information i could get, not just snippets of it.

No the home environment is not always as bright, but its also not always "a dark viewing room" either. He needs to make a selection based on HIS viewing environment, and if he has a dedicated theatre room, or only really intends on using it at night, then fine, a dark viewing room is the logical suggestion...but if he intends putting the set in a living room or such, and viewing during the day just as much as at night, testing in a dark viewing room can potentially mislead him in his decision "looked great in that dark room...why does it look **** for Saturday Arvo footy in my living room."

And yet you chose to duplicate information about LGs reliability from "The endless threads regarding LG."

Its not necessarily about incorrectness of information that is misleading, its about the selective inclusion of some, and the selective omission of others.

For example, you refer to LGs past history of unreliability when talking about their new set which is thus far problem free, and compare it to Toshiba's history of reliability when talking about a set that has already actually suffered two critical faults.

Yes it may just be a defective batch of lamps, but despite knowing about the lamp issue, they chose to continue building sets using those lamps...and that is the better case scenario...the other is that its related to another issue entirely. It may also be a simple and logical explanation for the 'line issue' too, though it has not yet been forthcoming.

the vast majority of posts on these forums are simply 'duplicating information' that has been posted previously or elsewhere. If you were that concerned about duplication, you wouldnt have posted reccommending the set at all, as he could have just read your posts in the Toshiba thread.

If i were him, id want all the information i could get, not just snippets of it.

You are still talking rubbish :

He can ALREADY compare the brightness for DAYTIME viewing of the football in the normal store environment. It is unbelievably STUPID to suggest NOT look at another aspect of one's normal viewing usage (i.e. at night time) because it might show a difference between the two. I can't believe I'm even wasting my time responding it's so stupid.

The Toshiba fault is a minor fault, easy to fix. The other fault, Castel replaced the TV with a brand new one.

The CORE and EXPENSIVE component of the LG is the THREE "LG" LCOS chips and they have NOT seen suffficient time yet to know if it will be reliable. LG's history shows that they SCREW up the important aspects of their products, i.e. the "light engine" in the MW60 .. That is such a serious screwup that anybody with half a brain would be cautious about betting on more LG "new technology".

As I said, if you want to ignore what history is telling you and ignore certain viewing conditions because it might show which product is better, then go right ahead.

Hi guys, thanks for the advice, you are both right, I don't want to start a flame war because of my own ignorance on the subject. :blink: I want to thank the both of you, I will definitely check out the 2 TVs more closely - it looks like it's one or the other at this point.

The CORE and EXPENSIVE component of the LG is the THREE "LG" LCOS chips and they have NOT seen suffficient time yet to know if it will be reliable. LG's history shows that they SCREW up the important aspects of their products, i.e. the "light engine" in the MW60 .. That is such a serious screwup that anybody with half a brain would be cautious about betting on more LG "new technology".

Yes the light engine in the MW60 was a big issue, but so is continuing to manufacture sets using known defective parts...and in terms of what it actually costs to replace, its not that much dearer than a blown lamp which you consider a 'minor fault.' In fact, according to some reported prices of $493 for the Optics engine, and $500 for the Toshi's lamp, its actualy cheaper to replace the 'serious screwup' of the 'important aspect' of the old MW60 than it is to replace the 'minor fault.'

Its great that Castel have replaced both the "minor" fault and replacement for the diagonal line issue, but really, they have all been under warranty so you cant really expect any less...but LG also offer to replace the defective lightengine, provide a replacement set, or simply credit/refund the purchase price in or out of warranty.

It is unbelievably STUPID to suggest NOT look at another aspect of one's normal viewing usage (i.e. at night time) because it might show a difference between the two. I can't believe I'm even wasting my time responding it's so stupid.

Noone is suggesting to NOT look at it, if you look at my original post it says to undertake BOTH light and dark tests to make sure you arnt conducting a biased test. In order to make the most informed decision rather than just buying because someone says so. If you recall it was you who told him to test it on an overly dark movie like Star Wars, and then look 'carefully' at the dark scenes. And thus i do agree with you on the point that it would be unbelievably stupid to suggest focussing on one area of one's normal vieing usage....

Hi guys, thanks for the advice, you are both right, I don't want to start a flame war because of my own ignorance on the subject. :blink: I want to thank the both of you, I will definitely check out the 2 TVs more closely - it looks like it's one or the other at this point.

Yeah it is, if you can't wait for the Sony's (a situation i think im going to find myself in) its probably going to become a choice between these two sets (if you want 1080p that is).

Let us know what you ultimately decide, and any feedback you can provide after a side-by-side comparison would be great for those like me who havent been able to corner the two beasts in the one location yet.