Philips 32PW9617179 HD Connection to STB

Purchased a Philips 32PW9617179 widescreen television several years ago. I assume this is the 32PW9679 model discussed elsewhere in this forum. It has worked properly as an analogue television with no problems. Finally got around to purchasing a HDSTB (Sony DSTHD500). The installation/ instruction booklet which came with the television is pretty close to useless regarding the connection of STB's to the television.

My questions are:

1. I assume the television is capable of HD - was certainly told that at the time of purchase. Is this true - I understand the limitation regarding 1080i 60Hz vs 50Hz :blink: but presumably it can display 576p etc

2. Do I have to connect the component video output of the STB do get HD ? The Sony manual infers that the other outputs are SD (s-video and composite video) but again this is certainly far from clear.

3. which of the Philips TV inputs (there are 4 scart connectors on the rear) do I have to connect the component video to or doesn't it matter - I have tried ext 1 and 2 but no result (a blue screen as if there was no connection)? The television works fine with the s-video connection from the STB but I believe this SD.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Rob