my wife finally got it

Guest JohnA

Wasn't sure were to post this so this will have to do :)

Today whilst visiting mum in the nursing home. I was flicking through the news paper and saw those new fandangle book readers.

Suppose you can call them the sonos or squeezebox of the book world.

I pointed it out to the missus and she said, looks interesting.

I asked her would she prefer this or owning the actual book and having it in the library.

She said, she would prefer owning the physical boo, so i said, same reason i like vinyl or cd compared to streaming.

Forget the arguments of SQ, but i get more enjoyment been able to hold the item in my hand, read the little booklet in the cd, see the room full of vinyl in the storage units.

She finally got it :party

Wasn't sure were to post this so this will have to do :)

Today whilst visiting mum in the nursing home. I was flicking through the news paper and saw those new fandangle book readers.

Suppose you can call them the sonos or squeezebox of the book world.

I pointed it out to the missus and she said, looks interesting.

I asked her would she prefer this or owning the actual book and having it in the library.

She said, she would prefer owning the physical boo, so i said, same reason i like vinyl or cd compared to streaming.

Forget the arguments of SQ, but i get more enjoyment been able to hold the item in my hand, read the little booklet in the cd, see the room full of vinyl in the storage units.

She finally got it :party

It's when the 2 year old gets her jam covered hands on the CD which adds new meaning to the term "tactile". Lossless streaming is a godsend if you have little kids, but understand where you are coming from John

i was lucky. My little one never touched my hifi nor cd's

I use to leave grills off the speakers :party

Now that she is 9, she actually kicks her little friends out of my room.

Now she says, you cannot go in that room :)

I use to leave grills off the speakers :)

I've got two girls and both of them have punctured my tweeters when they were 2.. problems is the elder one is 8, but the little one is 2 and just approaching her peak destructive powers :)

I use to leave grills off the speakers :)

My two girl are the same John - they respect my room and the expensive stuff in the room so will not touch anything they know they can't use.

They have those same good manners when they go around to other people's houses or shops. I am lucky as I have seen what inquistive brats some of my friends kids can be.

I have always showed them how LP's work, what each part of the stereo does and given them some time sort of playing with the gear when I am around.

Then again, we both have seperate hifi rooms, so maybe that is different

I think in a way I'd prefer to point a remote and have a massive stored library of music on demand ... and yet in my head, I can't get past the idea that storing music on a PC takes something away.

But then I get the appeal of vinyl/Cds you're describing. There is something more human, more tangible about it.

I've got two girls and both of them have punctured my tweeters when they were 2.. problems is the elder one is 8, but the little one is 2 and just approaching her peak destructive powers :)

Hi Mozart,

I had the opposite problem with my daughter. When see was 2 years old she lent out off my arms and hit her head on my Infinity RS-4 speakers (curved but sharp corners) and got five stitches in her head :)view_images.php?cat=Speakers&catnick=speakers&cfid=56830&image_id=312639

image.php?image=312639&is_user=0

She is now 20 and you can still see the stitch marks.

Les

Edited by lesovers

Hi

Growing up, my 3 kids just seeemed to know that my hardware and software systems associated with music were out of bounds, - at least until they reached 18, when all of a sudden the youngest found that my subwoofer could really kick ass on hip hop CDs - he's left home now....:)

Cheers

Mick

Hi John

I had the same but different experience.

I'm a streamer and when I was buying the Sonos gear, various amps and speakers for each room, pre-wiring the house with all sorts of cable, my wife didn't understand the need. We had a perfectly good collection of music and a CD player that she understood how to operate. But when she saw how the tidy little NAS box replaced CD's lying around everywhere, the intutitive remote that you can select any of our music from plus adjust the volume and select which room the music plays in, and that all the equipment fit neatly in a corner of the walk-in closet, she finally got it.

Cheers

MAH

Mah, thanks for that, and i do like to hear the other side also.

You see, for me, having a dedicated room, no one cares how much gear is in there or how things look, or how much realestate the vinyl collection takes up

The wife having a library would be heart broken if she lost the library and it was replaced by a little electronic reader

I had to replace the grille cloth on my Howards because although I like banana they didn't - kids, you gotta love 'em

Edited by Batty
Fat finger syndrome strikes again

Good points on the Sonos system though for the family area.

Agree, if streaming all around the house the sonos or squeezebox are brilliant.

I had originally bought it for that reason, but decided we would put together another small system in the library instead.

I agree with you too John. I need to have something tangible for my expense. I also find it hard to part with $$$ on stuff where I'm not getting something of "substance" back. eg paying thousands for wire/plastic. I also like the ritual of putting on cds/vinyl.

Hi Mozart,

I had the opposite problem with my daughter. When see was 2 years old she lent out off my arms and hit her head on my Infinity RS-4 speakers (curved but sharp corners) and got five stitches in her head :Dview_images.php?cat=Speakers&catnick=speakers&cfid=56830&image_id=312639

She is now 20 and you can still see the stitch marks.

Les

Ouch!

Tweeter domes and kids don't get along together, so I always buy softdome tweeters. :confused:

My son (5) can operate ARTA quite well. Actually he's been a great help. While I change the xo he'd click impulse -> record -> FR. He also notice the different graphs they make. Hopefully involving him now will shield him from future cable traders ;)

I hope when I have kids they will be nothing like me. Apparently I was notorious for climbing on top of the speakers and jumping onto the couch. Remote controls would always be stuffed into the vcr player. I was a very naughty boy :confused: Loved pulling everything apart and then trying to put them back together again.

My wife was a little monster too when she was a child, so God help us both. Locks will be on the theatre room ;)

You see, for me, having a dedicated room, no one cares how much gear is in there or how things look, or how much realestate the vinyl collection takes up

I would love to have a dedicated room, but an inner city townhouse puts limits on space, which is one of the reason I went down the music in any room, streaming approach.

The only room that is purely mine, is the garage, which is not a good environment for hifi equipment and is taken up by my other hobby, brewing. I do however have music streaming to the garage also.

Cheers

MAH

I was a very naughty boy ;) Loved pulling everything apart and then trying to put them back together again.

yes I am paranoid about the retribution that mother nature will unleash on me for my childhood days....

You couldn't blame a child for jamming fistfuls of icecream into a speaker after they've overheard that 'they are the cones'.....could you? :confused: