Speaker stands

hey all,

having a little time off work and finally getting my home theatre together. I started my rear speaker stands today. Front speakers are JBL Xti-100's, rears are a smaller version in Xti-20's. I cant mount shelves to the area they will be set up and i wouldnt even consider mounting the enclouser to the walls. So stands are needed to get them off the ground and get the direction right.

The design i came up with is based on the coffin shape of the Xti series enclosures... the material used is 18mm MDF (medium density fibreboard). they will have a base 36mm thick (2 layers) then a column (coffin shaped from above) 1000mm tall and then a base cut out of 8mm steel plate for the speaker to sit on. The column being hollow will allow me to half fill with sand, which will help with stability and reduce any resonance in the stand.

start with 1 sheet 2400x1200x18mm MDF:

i needed to scale down the enclosure to make the column, as to give it some proportion. it wasnt just a matter of coming in from the outer edge of the base by a determined distance all round. This didnt work. As the coffin is basicly a rectangle with the corners cut off, i did a 1-1 drawing of the outside dimensions of the coffin/rectangle, joined each oposing corner and that gave me the points at which it would scale down. That with a little trig to work the coffin edges and i had what i think will be a good size for the column....could have maybe gone a little smaller but that would have made construction harder.

have you thought about running some conduit through the centre before filling with sand so you can run speaker cable from top to bottom through the stand

up there for thinking 99 :party

• 2 weeks later...
great design, love the coffin idea

have you thought about running some conduit through the centre before filling with sand so you can run speaker cable from top to bottom through the stand

i was thinking about running the wires internaly, but considering that they would have to be sealed very well (which would be hard to do well and not look obvious) and the fact that the bottom of the speaker is only 10mm of the base plate and the terminals are on the back of the speaker would have put bends etc in the wirring....plus these will be moved in and out of the room. down the track if they are more perminant i can use little black cable saddles screwed to the back of the column.

Serg

got them pretty much done, just a few more coats of paint to go on...i had more pics but lost them when my cell phone broke.

the base was 2 pieces(18mm MDF) glued and screwed togther. I used a 25mm piece of ply cut to the internal shape of the coffin column, fixed it to the base as a locater for the column, which inturn was glued and screwed (from the underside of the base).

primmed the MDF and polyfilled the nail holes, all screw holes are not seen. Sanded from 120g-400g, then spray painted with a satin(semigloss) black enamel. The steel plates that fix to the top of the column where etch primmed and sprayed with the same enamel.

Serg

Speaker stands are the best way to save money i reckon. Yours look amazing

I understand what your saying about the conduit. I didnt get around to putting it inn mine either for the fact that my stand is a PVC pipe and it wouldnt seal very well.

plus if youve got nice cable then you should show it off :cool: