Sign in to follow this  
Bosk

Biggest advance in Audiophile technology over the past 10 years?

Hi Dr X,

That's an interesting article - I'd like to see the full report since the article gives very few relevant details.

However, on the surface of it, it doesn't sound like a well constructed experiment - as a trained statistician, I have alarm bells going off on a couple of points:-

1 - 554 samples seems too low given the number of variables and the time frame for conducting it.

2 - Why did he mention Quad electrostatics with a usable response to 23k, which are obviously useless to test hi-res formats.

Then again it could just be a biased report drawing out only bits that support his view. Perhaps the full study would be enlightening.

Boots.

I don't want to get into an argument...but have to say I don't agree on both points you raised.

Cheers.

I would like to add to the list the recent iterations of switch mode power suppliers for amplifiers i.e. B&O's ICE series which means 'Audiophile' sound quality can now be had in small enclosures and more importantly with high levels of energy efficiency.

I don't want to get into an argument...but have to say I don't agree on both points you raised.

Cheers.

Hi Paul,

Unless I've misinterpreted your post I'm a bit surprised on the apparent about face on hi-res formats. The last time we had a face to face discussion I left with the impression you were in favour of high resolution formats. :confused:

Maybe I've double misread the situation? ;)

In terms of my own POV, not withstanding that some recordings don't realise the full potential of DSD or DVD-Audio, my experience is that on long term subjective evaluation, SACDs and DVD-Audio discs generally sound less fatiguing than the majority of CDs. If I have the choice, the SACD or DVD-A gets a play over the CD equivalent anyday. :D

Cheers,

Alan R.

I actually embrace that study. It's great to know 1644 actually sound similar to 2496. The method unquestionably better than most "auditioning" type of comparison.

I am a collector of 2496 and 24/192 recordings. But if someone gave me one from upsampled 1644 I'd definitely fail non-sighted test.

I don't say CD is not good enough. In some cases it can be very good.

Unfortunately the "loudness wars" have albut stuffed the format in the popular genre. I've got some HDCDs and XRCDs which are very well recorded and mastered, but more than often I pick the SACD or the DVD-A over the CD in a double blind test on my own system. the difference (for me) becomes more apparent with extended listening.

Cheers,

Alan R.

I'd opinion a few things.

SACD

Multi-channel SACD (an advance on 2 channel for classical music in particular if we are talking the original notions of Hifi - i.e. the closest approach to the original sound)

Digital amplification - i.e. Class D in either it's analogue or 'pure' digital forms.

Active Speakers

Computers as source

Digital Room correction/equalisation

Acoustic Lenses (Originally licensed from Sausilito Audio; now intellectual property of B&O)

Oh, and the internet which enables enthusiasts to get together, chew the fat, and circumnavigate the propaganda from magazines, manufacturers and others with vested commercial interests.

Best

John

Hi Paul,

Unless I've misinterpreted your post I'm a bit surprised on the apparent about face on hi-res formats. The last time we had a face to face discussion I left with the impression you were in favour of high resolution formats. :confused:

Hi Alan, well I can't remember that honestly. If I did opinions can change. We should not get stuck in beliefs...when new studies, tests, trials bring new information perhaps it's time to unlearn and relearn?

In terms of my own POV, not withstanding that some recordings don't realise the full potential of DSD or DVD-Audio, my experience is that on long term subjective evaluation, SACDs and DVD-Audio discs generally sound less fatiguing than the majority of CDs. If I have the choice, the SACD or DVD-A gets a play over the CD equivalent anyday. ;)

Did you read the article? Especially the part about superior mastering on hi-res format layers while CD layers generally end up compromised dynamically? There has been at least one major thread on SNA showing the waveforms of many CD's.

Cheers.

I've got some HDCDs and XRCDs which are very well recorded and mastered, but more than often I pick the SACD or the DVD-A over the CD in a double blind test on my own system. the difference (for me) becomes more apparent with extended listening.

Are they the same master that you are comparing? If no or you don't know do you think your test is as air tight as the link I provided?

Cheers.

Hi, I think you mention the crux of the matter: mastering.

Since hires recording are geared for niche market (that is us, dynamic-loving audiophiles), they are manufactured using good mastering.

I bet as soon as they become a normal format, they'd start cramming whatever recording onto it with great loudness.

So the format is not the issue. It's what's in it. A 24/96 'californication' would not sound as good as 'Flashdance' in mp3 :confused:

In that light, hires recording capability is not actually an "advancement in 10 years". ;)

Ah... the BAS study. AES should be ashamed of publishing that...

dave

Hi Dave,

You seem to be familiar with this study - I can't find anything more about it than DrX's link.

Can you throw anymore light on it, find a link or at least expand on your opinion a bit.

Having been involved, in minor ways, in quite a bit of scientific research (not into audio), including a bit of advice through the course of my daughter's PhD - I am naturally interested in well constructed, objective investigations.

I would really be interested in learning more about this - or were my initial suspicions right and it's actually a load of crap?

Boots.