• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks guys for your encouragement. I popped out at lunch and snapped one up.

The manager told me that there were only 4 remaining.

I collect at 5pm......boy this afternoon is dragging!

Well done mate. You won't be disappointed with your purchase. I am in awe of the picture quality... and I don't even have a HD feed yet!!! I confess I am very biased when it comes to this screen. Not only is the picture quality top notch but it's a fantastic looking screen too!!! I woulda been tempted to buy 2 at that price :blink:

Bing Lee Rhodes have the 8900 ticketed at $2399 - current stock only, credit card or eftpos only (probably cash too).

Tried to convince wife as a ploy to end up with a Toppy 7000PVR (have a 5000MP at the moment), but she still prefers the idea of the 960.

Still, they offered me $2650 delivered including stand on the 960, plus $110 to extend the warranty to 5 years...

Hopefully next weekend - I'll see if Union shopper can find me one cheaper!

Kent

• 4 weeks later...

has anyone mounted their set on the wall? i really dont want to but my living room is small and I need the space. I bought a Sanus wall mount but since my tv isnt here yet I cant be sure that it will work. Thier website, www.sanus.com doesnt list the 42PD8900TA, but has every other 42 incher from Hitachi.

Hello All,

Does anyone know if the 8900 is still around in Sydney?

My old man wants a big screen now and I'm looking for a great panel at a great price. He is starting to believe all the LCD hype :blink:

Cheers

Struggo

Hello All,

My old man wants a big screen now and I'm looking for a great panel at a great price. He is starting to believe all the LCD hype :blink:

Cheers

Struggo

No!! No!! not the lcd hype :P

Good luck with trying to find a boxed 8900 Struggo.. I think I got the last one in Canberra and that was in late Dec..

I saw this snippet in the Herald Sun's Connect section today, and seeing we've ( 8900 owners) been relegated to almost relic status by all these 1080P spec machines.. I thought I should fly the flag :D

Taken from an article looking at the Hitachi 50PD960DTA and HD gaming.

" blah.. blah.. Make no mistake the 50PD960DTA is a beautiful machine. blah blah.. it looked way to big for our lounge room. So at times, the image quality seemed to suffer from a hint of graininess.

Heightening the doubt was that we had recently road tested the excellent Hitachi 42 inch PD8900TA plasma panel, etc etc...

That screen (42PD8900TA) size was perfect for our lounge room, picture quality as sharp as a tack and, importantly the beautifully designed jet black plasma, complete with remote control swivel stand, just felt right."

BTW...the article goes on to give high praise to the 50PD960DTA for HD gaming and HD dvd veiwing.

I'm still loving my 8900. it's now run up just over 1200 hrs and like a good wine it DOES get better with age.

Before going shopping for a plasma today, based on my research and reading threads on here for quite some time, I was dead-set on getting a Panasonic 42TH-PX600A. That was before setting my eyes on a 42PD960DTA. Now I am considering seriously getting one of these. But I have a few questions before I take the plunge. I dont know much about Hitachi's products and their customer service (but havent heard many good things about Pana customer service though). My questions are:

1. Any known issues with this model apart from the reported "brightness bounce"(eg the well documented "purple snakes" issues with the PX600A)

2. How is Hitachi customer service in dealing with issues/faults/replacement etc?

3. Apart from the less than complimentary review on Good Gear Guide, are there other reviews and or user's comments that could counter-balance this article?

4. I was quoted today a price of 2649$ including delivery and 3 yrs ext warranty at Clive Anthony's Carseldine. Is that a good price or did anyone do better than this?

Hope to hear from you guys soon. Thanks in advance!

Cheers

W

Was the 42PD8900TA the last Hitachi plasma released here that included Picture Master image processing? Where did it go? I'm considering the 50PD960DTA & my biggest reservation is that I suspect that it has second-rate image processing.

• Moderators
Before going shopping for a plasma today, based on my research and reading threads on here for quite some time, I was dead-set on getting a Panasonic 42TH-PX600A. That was before setting my eyes on a 42PD960DTA. Now I am considering seriously getting one of these. But I have a few questions before I take the plunge. I dont know much about Hitachi's products and their customer service (but havent heard many good things about Pana customer service though). My questions are:

1. Any known issues with this model apart from the reported "brightness bounce"(eg the well documented "purple snakes" issues with the PX600A)

2. How is Hitachi customer service in dealing with issues/faults/replacement etc?

3. Apart from the less than complimentary review on Good Gear Guide, are there other reviews and or user's comments that could counter-balance this article?

4. I was quoted today a price of 2649$ including delivery and 3 yrs ext warranty at Clive Anthony's Carseldine. Is that a good price or did anyone do better than this?

Hope to hear from you guys soon. Thanks in advance!

Cheers

W

if yoru happy iwht hte performance of the unit. get an extended warranty with it 3-5 years(how long you intend keepign the unit) and then buy with confidence that anythign happens down the line you'll be covered.

• 2 weeks later...

I think I might have got the last 42PD8900 today. Bought Domayne's last unit off the floor for $1900 after a bit of bargining It is in perfect condition. They still had the $4399 sticker still on it?? Built 09-2006 so I assume was off the last batch's made or so

I had my mind set on either the new 960 range either 42 or 50, but to be blunt the new models just did not seem to do it for me, I guess the image processing is better on the 42PD8900. Since I have a HD PVR, the HD tuner was not that a big deal and I prefer the black surround anyway.

Got it hooked up and Foxtel via component just looks so much better than my 36 inch CRT. DVD looks a lot better as well. FTA looks different, so getting used to that. Having the direct inputs on the Hitachi are a dream and easy for the kids to use.

better late than never I guess!!

I think I might have got the last 42PD8900 today. Bought Domayne's last unit off the floor for $1900 after a bit of bargining It is in perfect condition. They still had the $4399 sticker still on it?? Built 09-2006 so I assume was off the last batch's made or so

I had my mind set on either the new 960 range either 42 or 50, but to be blunt the new models just did not seem to do it for me, I guess the image processing is better on the 42PD8900. Since I have a HD PVR, the HD tuner was not that a big deal and I prefer the black surround anyway.

Got it hooked up and Foxtel via component just looks so much better than my 36 inch CRT. DVD looks a lot better as well. FTA looks different, so getting used to that. Having the direct inputs on the Hitachi are a dream and easy for the kids to use.

better late than never I guess!!

AWESOME :blink: ENJOY UR 8900!

• 4 weeks later...
does anyone here have a loght behind there 8900? I keep reading about how it improves the picture quality, and viewing expierience......

Yep.. I have a light/lamp behind my 8900.. For me it does help the eyes.. and improves the PQ/viewing experience..

I got sold when I had a Philips lcd with ambilight, prior to the 8900

A few of us were having a chat about that back on pages 18 & 19.. lighting

--ThisIsAllToMuchFun--..gives some details as to type of bulb etc :blink:

does anyone here have a loght behind there 8900? I keep reading about how it improves the picture quality, and viewing expierience......

Same here. Dimmer light. Works well. Have two set dimming settings depending on General TV viewing or movies.

Philip

I have an 8800 rather than 8900, but .....

I had until recently been using regular incandescent lights on dimmers in the room corners behind the plasma - worked OK but this warm background colour (around 2500K) reduced the perceived intensity of red-yellow on screen.

I now use a 6W tri-phosphor fluoro (at 6400K) mounted on the back of the plasma. I've masked off the bottom and angled it so that all illumination reflects only off the rear (white coloured) wall, which further softens the light and virtually eliminates distractions casued by illuminating other objects close to the plasma. This setup works beautifully, and the perceived slight red-yellow weakness has been eliminated - so much so that I have been able to turn the colour setting down 3 notches without affecting perceived colour strength - as a result, colours look more 'balanced' - perfectly balanced in fact - seriously, as good as a real cinema. I got the lamp from Bunnings - it's Crompton brand. Including the foot switch and power cord, total project cost was $46.

My setup was great before - it's bl**dy perfect now. Click on link for picture:

http://img525.imageshack.us/my.php?image=00002qc1.jpg

(PS: My 8800 was calibrated by Avical with the usual 6500K as the reference 'daylight' white)

I had until recently been using regular incandescent lights on dimmers in the room corners behind the plasma - worked OK but this warm background colour (around 2500K) reduced the perceived intensity of red-yellow on screen.

I now use a 6W tri-phosphor fluoro (at 6400K) mounted on the back of the plasma. I've masked off the bottom and angled it so that all illumination reflects only off the rear (white coloured) wall, which further softens the light and virtually eliminates distractions casued by illuminating other objects close to the plasma. This setup works beautifully, and the perceived slight red-yellow weakness has been eliminated - so much so that I have been able to turn the colour setting down 3 notches without affecting perceived colour strength - as a result, colours look more 'balanced' - perfectly balanced in fact - seriously, as good as a real cinema. I got the lamp from Bunnings - it's Crompton brand. Including the foot switch and power cord, total project cost was $46.

(PS: My 8800 was calibrated by Avical with the usual 6500K as the reference 'daylight' white)

Thanks for this HDfan

I might pop down to Bunnings and buy the lamp to try my el-cheapo ambilight. Do Philips have ambilight patened, or do other plasma manufacturers refuse to copy just to be seen as not copying. As ambilight does work a treat, unfortunately the Philips plasma's I have seen are not quite there yet on PQ and ease of movement.

HDfan, Could you give all your settings that Avical did on your 8800 ?? If it makes a positive difference, I'll contact them to calibrate mine professionally.

Interesting that the 8800/8900 does not have a fan, whereas the new models do have fan's. Is this another cost cutting excercise by Hitachi to match pany, samsung and Lg on price?? Pity, as if there new models have the same features as the 8900 and included the new master HD picture processing they would be the best plasma's on the market.

Hopefully next models

any idea where I might be able to find one of these styles lights here in the U.S. ?

• 3 weeks later...

Saw a 42PD8900 today in Bing Lee (Pitt St Mall, Sydney) for $2199 sticker price - floor stock only. That's a bargain for a great plasma, which IMHO, still has the most natural colours of any plasma out there.

If you're looking for a great plasma at a great price, then snap that one up quickly.

Thanks, but it could be that the panel might be manufactured somewhere. Does anyone know?

Yes they are all made in JAPAN. Hitachi own the whole plasma factory in Japan after they bought out Fujitsu a while back

Just picked up one of the last boxed 42PD8900TA's from Harvey Norman (HighPoint, VIC) for $2400 delivered (including 5yr warranty) :D

Besides the HD Tuner is there much difference between the 8900 & the new 960 series?

I noticed the quoted contrast ratio on the 8900 is only 4000:1 however it looked on par if not better than other 10000:1 units on display... :blink:

Edited by Kildare
Just picked up one of the last boxed 42PD8900TA's from Harvey Norman (HighPoint, VIC) for $2400 delivered (including 5yr warranty) :P

Besides the HD Tuner is there much difference between the 8900 & the new 960 series?

I noticed the quoted contrast ratio on the 8900 is only 4000:1 however it looked on par if not better than other 10000:1 units on display... :blink:

The 8900 has better processing :D

• 2 weeks later...

I just have to say that HD Wimbledon with my 8900 and Sony HD PVR just looks stunning. I have never seen green grass look so damm sexy!!

Even the NRL on 9 looks great in HD

Yello,

I recently got a 50inch Hitachi plasma tv (http://www.cnet.com.au/tvs/plasma/0,239035288,339274039,00.htm) And 360 games looks amazing on it (set on 1080i) though I've found that dvd movies become quite pixielated (spelling) and was wondering if anyone with a similar tv or just had the same issue knows why this is? I even tried out the 360 with a movie using RCA (red yellow white) cabling into the back of the plasma and the quality was still poor for dvd standards. I'm using the standard component av/hd cables that came with the 360. Any help or the such is appreciated.

Also, i tried it with a standard jvc dvd player and it still wasn't the dvd quality i'm used to and should get. Anyone had. same issues or know how to fix this?

Cheers

(sorry, would've started a new topic about this, if i'd had 'permission'. This topic seemed the most suitable.)

Yello,

I recently got a 50inch Hitachi plasma tv (http://www.cnet.com.au/tvs/plasma/0,239035288,339274039,00.htm) And 360 games looks amazing on it (set on 1080i) though I've found that dvd movies become quite pixielated (spelling) and was wondering if anyone with a similar tv or just had the same issue knows why this is? I even tried out the 360 with a movie using RCA (red yellow white) cabling into the back of the plasma and the quality was still poor for dvd standards. I'm using the standard component av/hd cables that came with the 360. Any help or the such is appreciated.

Also, i tried it with a standard jvc dvd player and it still wasn't the dvd quality i'm used to and should get. Anyone had. same issues or know how to fix this?

Cheers

(sorry, would've started a new topic about this, if i'd had 'permission'. This topic seemed the most suitable.)

It may be the upsampling in the unit is not that great converting the standard DVD signal to 10801?.

Buy a Sony upsampling player from some where like Dick Smith ($199) and use the HDMI input. The Sony has very good upsampling and see if this looks better. If it doesn't you can return it easily and get a refund.

Thanks turntable. I didn't think the unsampling would matter considering I tried just a regular dvd player using RCA, and component hd and both weren't good, and the xbox 360 dvd player with rca and component as well. But i'd say you're right, hence games and all other xbox related things look amazing except for dvd movies. Even mpeg files i've downloaded through xbox live look great full-screen. Definitely the signal and conversion then i think. Disappointing of the 360 though... I'll try out the unsampling player in a week (after i've done a shitload of fiddling - refund or not i hate spending money heh)

Cheers.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
Can anyone shed some light on a green, occasionally red and sometimes a reversed image line down the middle of the screen on the 8900? Please help..

It's probably a faulty panel - my 4yr old 37" Hitachi has three vertical lines of red pixels that are there pretty much all the time - it's a known fault with the 37" panel but I doubt that I can get Hitachi to do anything about it now especially as they are no longer selling plasma in Oz.

It's bloody annoying when I think about it - $5500 for a 37" set that develops bright red lines 3yrs on - no warranty and the fix (panel replacement) is uneconomical :(

• 9 years later...

My Hitachi 8900 42 inch plasma is still going strong after over 12 years now.    The remote swivel for the tv screen works perfectly. 

Japanese quality at its best.

Pity Hitachi tv's are in name only these days. Rebranded Chinese junk now.