Hitachi 42PD8900TA

I purchased mine from HN Fyshwick. Read back through the thread, originally started as a order for the 8800, 8800 couldnt be obtained (no stock in warehouse and no stores wanted to let them go as they were selling so well) so I got the 8900 for the same price.

Had to wait 3 weeks but I got one from the first 100 that came into Australia.

Hey thanks Amaru. :D I checked JB's, Bing Lee, DJ's, Domayne on w/end and they don't expect stock till "sometime" next month.

Funny thing is.. I checked with both HN's late May/June when we first heard of the 8900 and both stores said they weren't going to carry them...

I'll go see what they can do..Stock is the problem now I guess.

As I bought all that gear on my sig down there \/, from HN Fyshwich 8-10 months ago they should do an ok deal. ROFL :blink:

Can you say who you dealt with?

Congrats Amaru, andyl and simonactive on your purchase. Exciting times, enjoy.

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Guys, just got MARCH OF THE PENGUINS to watch on the 8900. I was expecting to view it with very good clarity, instead it is quite grainy.

ive got my dvd connected via components....

any suggestions??

cheers

Andy

Hi Mate, im getting mine delivered tommorow from Retravsion Brighton. I got it for $3150 but i paid cash. Took me a bit of haggling to get it down to that.

Hi Andy,

Getting my 8900 delivered Thursday. I so can't wait only 2 more sleeps !!!! Paid $3200 with 12 Months interest free. Also got the LG Twin HD HDMI Set Top Box / 160gb PVR for $879. So after waiting nearly 2 years for a Hitachi plasma the price was right and the time had come to buy. Will set up with Pioneer progressive scan DVD player and let you know the results asap.

Thanks for all your help guys in making my purchase such an enjoyable one.

Simon

Hi Andy,

Getting my 8900 delivered Thursday. I so can't wait only 2 more sleeps !!!! Paid $3200 with 12 Months interest free. Also got the LG Twin HD HDMI Set Top Box / 160gb PVR for $879. So after waiting nearly 2 years for a Hitachi plasma the price was right and the time had come to buy. Will set up with Pioneer progressive scan DVD player and let you know the results asap.

Thanks for all your help guys in making my purchase such an enjoyable one.

Simon

Congratulations mate! Great Purchase!

Did you get a better picture playing around with the settings on the plasma ? Component makes no difference to picture quality unless your cables are shot.

Hi Simon

yes i did.

The settings im currently using (with HDMI) are:

Picture Mode : Natural

Contrast : -2

Brightness: +3

Colour: -8

Sharpness : +1

Tint : 0

Colour Temp: Normal

Contrast Mode: Normal

Im still messing around for settings with DVD, still not getting PQ as perfect as i would like with DVD. ANimation dvd's (The Incredibles) Look great, but anything else then animation looks ordinary.

The settings ive given above are far from perfect and im still experimenting....... If anyone else can give there calibration tips it would be great!

Has it arrived yet simon?

Cheers

Andy

Hey guys,

Almost about to purchase one of these Plasma's. Have been eyeing the 8800 for a while, but seems to be superseded by the 8900.

Great to see those who have purchased it are happy with it.

Is the remote the same as the 8800 i wonder?

Does JB in melbourne stock them yet? May go this weekend & see one that is running....

Just wanted to say thanks for running such a great forum...I've been reading posts on this forum for a while now....

Keep it up.... :blink:

Hey guys,

Almost about to purchase one of these Plasma's. Have been eyeing the 8800 for a while, but seems to be superseded by the 8900.

Great to see those who have purchased it are happy with it.

Is the remote the same as the 8800 i wonder?

Does JB in melbourne stock them yet? May go this weekend & see one that is running....

Just wanted to say thanks for running such a great forum...I've been reading posts on this forum for a while now....

Keep it up.... :blink:

Getting my 8900 delivered tomorrow. Go and see Justin at Clive Peeters Moorabbin. They have them in stock. JB it looks like will not sell this model. I left my number with many JB stores to call when model arrives and no response. I find JB's service crap and their salesman pushy. Go and see Justin he is a top bloke and knows his stuff.

Simon

Getting my 8900 delivered tomorrow. Go and see Justin at Clive Peeters Moorabbin. They have them in stock. JB it looks like will not sell this model. I left my number with many JB stores to call when model arrives and no response. I find JB's service crap and their salesman pushy. Go and see Justin he is a top bloke and knows his stuff.

Simon

Thanks for the reply....I will certainly go hunting for this on the weekend & will stop at CP while i'm out....

Do you mind me asking at what price you picked it up?

I'm also in the hunt for a set top box....not sure if to go hard drive or not..... :blink:

Thanks for the tip simonactive...

Thanks for the reply....I will certainly go hunting for this on the weekend & will stop at CP while i'm out....

Do you mind me asking at what price you picked it up?

I'm also in the hunt for a set top box....not sure if to go hard drive or not..... :blink:

Thanks for the tip simonactive...

Just scroll to near the top off the page ( about 6 responses ago ) and i have told everyone.

Happy hunting.

Just scroll to near the top off the page ( about 6 responses ago ) and i have told everyone.

Happy hunting.

Good work simonactive...good price for such a good panel...

Big weekend for you coming up....hope you enjoy your new toy....

Keep us posted as to what you find?

Are there any particular DVD's your're demoing?

Not sure why yours looks grainy andyl. I hooked mine up and am still running it on zero'd settings until its got a few hours up on it (probably close to 60 hours by now so ill start playing with settings) and it looks fantastic playing any DVD.

DVD player I am using at the moment is a Xbox 360 using the standard component cable.

Dont demo MARCH OF THE PENGUINS straight up, you will be dissapointed, instead go for THE INCREDIBLES (a safe option) like i did first up, and be blown away :D

Sounds good....

My sister has the hitachi 55" Plasma & that's what she played as her first movie....Her 2yr old loves it.... :blink:

Not sure why yours looks grainy andyl. I hooked mine up and am still running it on zero'd settings until its got a few hours up on it (probably close to 60 hours by now so ill start playing with settings) and it looks fantastic playing any DVD.

DVD player I am using at the moment is a Xbox 360 using the standard component cable.

Ok, i just watched the WHOLE march of the penguins :blink: the intro with the credits looked pretty ordinary so i turned it of then for the first few times , i just sat through the whole thing and it must be just the intro was recorded in a lesser quality. The rest of the movie, unbelivaebly looks extremelly good :D

i shouldnt just a book by its cover :P

on another note, does it make any difference if the plasma is new and u fiddle around with settings?? or should they be zero'd for 60hrs before you fiddle around?

A

One thing I learned from my 7800 model is that the picture was grainy when new. Now, after almost 2 years, I find the picture very smooth. By the way, turn down your sharpness a bit. I believe that would help reduce the grainyness.

And oh, congrats to all who bought the Hits. Welcome to the Hit Squad... :blink:

Cheers.

I am also one of the Hit squad :D I bought the 7800 one and a half years ago thanks to the good recommendation from folks in this forum.

And I am still loving it. Watching high definition shows connected to Samsung HD STB... like....Lost, CSI etc...is so pleasureable...you notice all the fine detail of the face, scenery etc. Just perfect!

I am also one of the Hit squad :blink: I bought the 7800 one and a half years ago thanks to the good recommendation from folks in this forum.

And I am still loving it. Watching high definition shows connected to Samsung HD STB... like....Lost, CSI etc...is so pleasureable...you notice all the fine detail of the face, scenery etc. Just perfect!

I wish i could say the same for HD tv... im new to plasmas and all this technology, but when im watching a HD Program, to be honest i cant notice much difference at all... maybe im missing something here. I alwats watch programs regardless if they are HD or not, on whatever networks HD channel. But all in all i cant notice to much diff and i think im running a pretty decent setup with Teach HD-STB and my 8900.

I wish i could say the same for HD tv... im new to plasmas and all this technology, but when im watching a HD Program, to be honest i cant notice much difference at all... maybe im missing something here. I alwats watch programs regardless if they are HD or not, on whatever networks HD channel. But all in all i cant notice to much diff and i think im running a pretty decent setup with Teach HD-STB and my 8900.

I am not familiar with your Teach box. What you can do is compare the video by switching channels between say Channel 7 (Std) and 70 (HD) or 9 and 90. You can see the difference. The type of connection cable you used between the box and your plasma also makes the difference. I watch only on HD channels.

Finally....you need a trained eye : )

Give the panel some time as the phospor hasn't settled yet. It will improve over time.

When I first got my Pana HD the image was a bit soft and undefined and now 2 months later it is much sharper and clearer. It also depends on the HD show. There are proper HD shows and improper HD shows. CSI is one of the best as an indication. Although I noticed the old CSI shows don't have as good PQ as the new ones... or is it only me?

One thing I learned from my 7800 model is that the picture was grainy when new. Now, after almost 2 years, I find the picture very smooth. By the way, turn down your sharpness a bit. I believe that would help reduce the grainyness.

And oh, congrats to all who bought the Hits. Welcome to the Hit Squad... :blink:

Cheers.

Hit Squad indeed ! hehehe

I dont think I'd know how to operate anotehr brand plasma with this being my second hitachi :D

hehe its only the second one because the first went poop ! :blink:

Al, getting my 8900 tomorrow. Was it a difficult process to connect the plasma to the stand ? I am getting someone to help me put it together but i was wondering can you do it yourself ?

Cheers Simon