Hitachi 42PD8900TA

WOW. Did you get extented warranty?

Cheers

Struggo

no i didnt get extended warranty. This is going to be my first plasma.. is it something i should invest in?

Do you do that through the store or direct through hitachi?? would it be to late to get seeing ive already paid for it? Also what sort of price are you looking at for extended warranty??

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no i didnt get extended warranty. This is going to be my first plasma.. is it something i should invest in?

Do you do that through the store or direct through hitachi?? would it be to late to get seeing ive already paid for it? Also what sort of price are you looking at for extended warranty??

I'd get one through the store. They cost typically 10% of purchase price. I wouldnt buy a flat panel without a 5 year extended warranty

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtopic=37297

I'd get one through the store. They cost typically 10% of purchase price. I wouldnt buy a flat panel without a 5 year extended warranty

Alebonau is right.

You can go back and get one. Hitachi only offer the 1 year. You have to go back to Retravision and get the additional 4 years.

It is a must.

Cheers

Struggo

Al, do you know if the 8900 displays 1080p or 1080i ? And what is the difference ? Also do you think that if i bought a DVD player with HDMI that could upscale to 1080 that i would notice the difference in picture quality considering that DVD's are recorded in standard definition ?

Cheers Simon

Al, do you know if the 8900 displays 1080p or 1080i ? And what is the difference ? Also do you think that if i bought a DVD player with HDMI that could upscale to 1080 that i would notice the difference in picture quality considering that DVD's are recorded in standard definition ?

Cheers Simon

Id love to know the answer to that question as well. what is the diff between 1080i and 1080p? from memory the 8900 is 1080i

Id love to know the answer to that question as well. what is the diff between 1080i and 1080p? from memory the 8900 is 1080i

Andy you bought the 8900 from Retravision Brighton yeah ? Have you installed it yet and did you have to haggle much on the price ? I got a quote from John of $3300 with 12 months interest free.

Simon

Andy you bought the 8900 from Retravision Brighton yeah ? Have you installed it yet and did you have to haggle much on the price ? I got a quote from John of $3300 with 12 months interest free.

Simon

Hi Mate, im getting mine delivered tommorow from Retravsion Brighton. I got it for $3150 but i paid cash. Took me a bit of haggling to get it down to that.

I was just reading the user manual online in anticipation of my screen coming today. It says that the Stand is optional!

Can anyone confirm if this is correct???

Don't worry your stand is included.

Struggo

PS Check your invoice.

Hi guys,

it has arrived! its all setup and looking pretty good.

if someone can help me with a few questions that would be great.

Im connecting from my Teac HD-STB to the tv via DVI-HDMI Cable.

In my plasma setup menu there are instructions for RGB and TV Mode setup. However when i try to set resoloution on the TV there is no section in the setup for this as im connecting via HDMI. There is for RGB but not HDMI. As im relatively new to all this, is there something that im missing???

On my set top box, ive set the Format to 'Digital RGB (DVI) - 1080i' and the Output on the STB to 'Digital RGB (DVI) - 1080i'

The misses is home and is watching Dr Phil and i have it on Channel 9 HD with the reoloution at 1440x1080i............ excuse my ignorance, but is this HD??? ive got no Channel 9 HD symbol in the corner of the screen.

Basically the picture looks pretty good, but im not sure if i am missing something to get it a little better.....

In one of the ad's between Dr Phil :blink:, there was a bank advertising and it had some small print... the Small Print seemed quite distorted and not very clear.

Im just wondering if i have set this up correctly and why i dont have access to resoloution setup on the screen via the Setup menu with my HDMI connection, but if i was to connect with RGB i do.

The picture looks good but im sure it could be better. or maybe im just being anal.

any help would be muchly appreciated!

Thanks

Andy

Hi guys,

it has arrived! its all setup and looking pretty good.

if someone can help me with a few questions that would be great.

Im connecting from my Teac HD-STB to the tv via DVI-HDMI Cable.

In my plasma setup menu there are instructions for RGB and TV Mode setup. However when i try to set resoloution on the TV there is no section in the setup for this as im connecting via HDMI. There is for RGB but not HDMI. As im relatively new to all this, is there something that im missing???

On my set top box, ive set the Format to 'Digital RGB (DVI) - 1080i' and the Output on the STB to 'Digital RGB (DVI) - 1080i'

The misses is home and is watching Dr Phil and i have it on Channel 9 HD with the reoloution at 1440x1080i............ excuse my ignorance, but is this HD??? ive got no Channel 9 HD symbol in the corner of the screen.

Basically the picture looks pretty good, but im not sure if i am missing something to get it a little better.....

In one of the ad's between Dr Phil :blink:, there was a bank advertising and it had some small print... the Small Print seemed quite distorted and not very clear.

Im just wondering if i have set this up correctly and why i dont have access to resoloution setup on the screen via the Setup menu with my HDMI connection, but if i was to connect with RGB i do.

The picture looks good but im sure it could be better. or maybe im just being anal.

any help would be muchly appreciated!

Thanks

Andy

congratulations on the new TV !

no further setup required on the tv. You have it hooked up and set right. one other option with the teac is to set on 'Digital RGB (DVI) - Auto' this will pass through the format broadcast eg if broadcast in 720p on ABC HD then thats what you will get onscreen.

What your seing is not true HD. 1440x1080i is the broadcast format. But without the HD symbol its jsut upscaled SD from the network.

check the "whats on HD" program that anthony similion does on the HD format section of the forum.

congratulations on the new TV !

no further setup required on the tv. You have it hooked up and set right. one other option with the teac is to set on 'Digital RGB (DVI) - Auto' this will pass through the format broadcast eg if broadcast in 720p on ABC HD then thats what you will get onscreen.

What your seing is not true HD. 1440x1080i is the broadcast format. But without the HD symbol its jsut upscaled SD from the network.

check the "whats on HD" program that anthony similion does on the HD format section of the forum.

How come in the Setup menu on the Plasma there are more settings, ie resoloution settings if RGB is selected instead of HDMI... Mine is connected via HDMI however the choice of settings seemes limited with resolotion unless it is connected via RGB. But this is where im getting even more confused...... on the back AV1 through to 4 or so. But tere in no input as RGB!

any ideas????

thanks for all your help up to this point... it has been very useful.

on another note... should i connect my DVD player via the Set Top box or straight to the plasma via Components???

the realisation of myself not being as technically minded as when i was 18-25 is finally sinking in :blink: Back in the day this wouldnt be a problem... but with me again (27) ive fallen behind with technological advances!

Cheers again guys

Andy

1080i is 'interlaced' and 1080p is 'progessive'

In a nutshell , progressive is a higher quality picture display method and all sceeens are heading

this way but as of now 1080p plasmas are very rare and very expensive.

To my horror.. NONE to Canberra.

I purchased mine from HN Fyshwick. Read back through the thread, originally started as a order for the 8800, 8800 couldnt be obtained (no stock in warehouse and no stores wanted to let them go as they were selling so well) so I got the 8900 for the same price.

Had to wait 3 weeks but I got one from the first 100 that came into Australia.

As for a review I havent used it alot, but it does look fantastic. Picture is awesome, analogue quality is definately alot better than my old 7800. The 1080i mode on the Xbox 360 looks absolutely stunning and even my friends who recently bought Pana 42" HD panels agree the Hitachi wipes the floor with them.

Overall extremely happy with it :blink:

As for the stand, that is correct, the 42PD8900TA does not come with the stand. When you purchase make sure you get model number 42PD8900TAKIT as this is the one that comes packaged with the stand.

1080i is 'interlaced' and 1080p is 'progessive'

In a nutshell , progressive is a higher quality picture display method and all sceeens are heading

this way but as of now 1080p plasmas are very rare and very expensive.

It also depends on how the source material was shot (filmed). In many cases it is at 24fps. 1080p at 24fps will in fact look almost identicle on 1080p and 1080i display panels when running at 50Hz. You will only notice a difference (and on large screens, say 50" and above) with source material shot in 1080p at 50Hz (50fps).

There are plenty of discussions about this all over this forum (and others).

I purchased mine from HN Fyshwick. Read back through the thread, originally started as a order for the 8800, 8800 couldnt be obtained (no stock in warehouse and no stores wanted to let them go as they were selling so well) so I got the 8900 for the same price.

Had to wait 3 weeks but I got one from the first 100 that came into Australia.

As for a review I havent used it alot, but it does look fantastic. Picture is awesome, analogue quality is definately alot better than my old 7800. The 1080i mode on the Xbox 360 looks absolutely stunning and even my friends who recently bought Pana 42" HD panels agree the Hitachi wipes the floor with them.

Overall extremely happy with it :blink:

As for the stand, that is correct, the 42PD8900TA does not come with the stand. When you purchase make sure you get model number 42PD8900TAKIT as this is the one that comes packaged with the stand.

How much did you pay for the 8900 and how much did you pay for a warranty ?

I am going in to pay for and pickup my 8900 tomorrow.

Cheers Simon

How come in the Setup menu on the Plasma there are more settings, ie resoloution settings if RGB is selected instead of HDMI... Mine is connected via HDMI however the choice of settings seemes limited with resolotion unless it is connected via RGB. But this is where im getting even more confused...... on the back AV1 through to 4 or so. But tere in no input as RGB!

any ideas????

thanks for all your help up to this point... it has been very useful.

on another note... should i connect my DVD player via the Set Top box or straight to the plasma via Components???

the realisation of myself not being as technically minded as when i was 18-25 is finally sinking in :blink: Back in the day this wouldnt be a problem... but with me again (27) ive fallen behind with technological advances!

Cheers again guys

Andy

As somone posted RGB(its actually analog) is for PC use to make sure matches up with the display card you use. Also with HDMI/DVI your dealing with a digital signal and you'll see lot less flexibility with picture settings etc. The rgb input is the pc monitor cable plug in the back of the panel for hooking a pc monitor output upto it.

dvd player straight to the display and not via the stb.

dont worry we're all learning somehtign new everyday ! :D

As somone posted RGB(its actually analog) is for PC use to make sure matches up with the display card you use. Also with HDMI/DVI your dealing with a digital signal and you'll see lot less flexibility with picture settings etc. The rgb input is the pc monitor cable plug in the back of the panel for hooking a pc monitor output upto it.

dvd player straight to the display and not via the stb.

dont worry we're all learning somehtign new everyday ! :blink:

Cheers thanks for that info :D

ok had the screen for about 4hrs now... these are the settings im using, remeber im no pro at all, more the opposite... if anyone has any suggestions to improve the PQ, please let me know

im running a Teac HD820 box with DVI to HDMI connection. I have the format on the box as :

DIGITAL RGB (DVI) - Auto

Colour settins on the screen are as follows:

Picture Mode - Cinema

Contrast -6

Brightness +6

Colour -9

Sharpness +6

Tint +5

Colour Temperature : Normal

Contrast Mode : Auto

Whites can sometimes get quite full on and very bright. The overall PQ looks good however it is feeling slightly dull.

Cheers

Andy

andyl as an option try putting picture mode to natural ?

anyway you'll find as your panel runs in you'll need to keep tweaking.

I'm currently (2 or so weeks old panel)off the top of my head :

pict mode natural

Contrast 0

Brightness +1

Colour -20

Sharpness 0

Tint 0

Colour Temperature : Normal

Contrast Mode : normal

keeping in mind you need to do picture settings for each input and theres no right or wrong, how you like it is a pers pref thing. and settings will change as the phosphors settle down.

Hi Guys,

what channels show the HD symbol in the corner when they are broadcasting a HD show. Ive waited til A Current Affair is on as it says it broadcast in HD, and it said at the begining that is available on Channel 9 HD. I have it on channel 9 HD but still dont see the HD logo in the corner of the screen.........

Im not sure if im watching real HD or not!

Hi Guys,

what channels show the HD symbol in the corner when they are broadcasting a HD show. Ive waited til A Current Affair is on as it says it broadcast in HD, and it said at the begining that is available on Channel 9 HD. I have it on channel 9 HD but still dont see the HD logo in the corner of the screen.........

Im not sure if im watching real HD or not!

Go www.widescreentv.info to see a guide of the weekly shows broadcast in HD on all free to air chanels.

Cheers Simon