Hitachi 42PD8900TA

I was in touch with a Hitachi rep today. I believed he said they still arent available yet and at the moment im not sure if JB Hi Fi would be stocking the new 8900 as it seems they may be looking at keeping the cheaper versions such as the 580 with the built in tuner which just dont have the same quality as the 8800's. So we'll have to wait and see if they will stock it at all.

http://www.asia.cnet.com/reviews/home_av/t...39362187,00.htm

Has anyone seen the 8900 in Sydney yet?

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was in touch with a Hitachi rep today. I believed he said they still arent available yet and at the moment im not sure if JB Hi Fi would be stocking the new 8900 as it seems they may be looking at keeping the cheaper versions such as the 580 with the built in tuner which just dont have the same quality as the 8800's. So we'll have to wait and see if they will stock it at all.

Spoke to Hitachi Australia last weekand they told me all there are no more 8800's in the wharehouse and that all of the 8900's have been ordered and shipped to the stores. Now i have asked every department store chain in Melbourne and none of them are not even aware of the 8900 yet. I was told the Hitachi State Sales Manager quit and they have a new replacement coming so that might explain why the stores no nothing of the new product. But i am waiting for a call on Tuesday from Retravision to find out when they are receiving the 8900 and how much it will be. JB Hi Fi have the 8800 as a discontinued product but no mention of the 8900 on their list yet and they know nothing of it. Does anyone know anymore about the 8900 than I can find out as i am kenn to buy the new model.

Spoke to Hitachi Australia last weekand they told me all there are no more 8800's in the wharehouse and that all of the 8900's have been ordered and shipped to the stores. Now i have asked every department store chain in Melbourne and none of them are not even aware of the 8900 yet. I was told the Hitachi State Sales Manager quit and they have a new replacement coming so that might explain why the stores no nothing of the new product. But i am waiting for a call on Tuesday from Retravision to find out when they are receiving the 8900 and how much it will be. JB Hi Fi have the 8800 as a discontinued product but no mention of the 8900 on their list yet and they know nothing of it. Does anyone know anymore about the 8900 than I can find out as i am kenn to buy the new model.

Retravision Camden NSW reckon they could get me one when I inquired about the 8800 & 8900. There are no more 8800's left and that they could get a 8900 if I wished.

Price was $4400 on the computer they reckon. So I went for the 8800 which I grabed for $2750 plus warranty @ Bing Lee.

Cheers

Struggo

Retravision Camden NSW reckon they could get me one when I inquired about the 8800 & 8900. There are no more 8800's left and that they could get a 8900 if I wished.

Price was $4400 on the computer they reckon. So I went for the 8800 which I grabed for $2750 plus warranty @ Bing Lee.

Cheers

Struggo

The price of $4400 on their computer is the RRP. It is the same RRP for the 8800. There is absolutely NO WAY the 8900 will be anywhere near that price. The new model has only 2 differences. The resolution is now 1024 x 1080, and the speakers are now black instead of grey. That is the only difference so i do not expect there to be much of a price difference between the 8800 and the 8900. Plus Hitachi's main competition the Panasonic HD 60 model is selling in most places for around $3000 so it the 8900 will be around that price. That is why i am going to wait to buy the 8900.

The price of $4400 on their computer is the RRP. It is the same RRP for the 8800. There is absolutely NO WAY the 8900 will be anywhere near that price. The new model has only 2 differences. The resolution is now 1024 x 1080, and the speakers are now black instead of grey. That is the only difference so i do not expect there to be much of a price difference between the 8800 and the 8900. Plus Hitachi's main competition the Panasonic HD 60 model is selling in most places for around $3000 so it the 8900 will be around that price. That is why i am going to wait to buy the 8900.

Your spot on about the RRP.

I hope you find a 8900 soon. Thses sets are just sexy!!

Cheers

Struggo

Why didn't you wait for the 8900 and get a great price on that ?

Hi simonactive,

Because no one can give a ETA in my area. Hitachi CS reckon they where released two weeks ago, yet no one can give me any certain time frame.

Plus 1024 instead of 1080 (the lines are just cropped on the 1024) and the 3000:1 compared to 4000:1 contrast ratio didn't really seem like major improvements. The black levels are fine as they are on the 8800 IMHO and I wanted the TV now.

Also having gunmetal grey speakers really suits my decor.

Cheers

Struggo

Hi simonactive,

Because no one can give a ETA in my area. Hitachi CS reckon they where released two weeks ago, yet no one can give me any certain time frame.

Plus 1024 instead of 1080 (the lines are just cropped on the 1024) and the 3000:1 compared to 4000:1 contrast ratio didn't really seem like major improvements. The black levels are fine as they are on the 8800 IMHO and I wanted the TV now.

Also having gunmetal grey speakers really suits my decor.

Cheers

Struggo

the hitachi guy I spoke to on the phone few weeks back himself said the 8900 is only a minor update on the 8800 nothing major between them, hence they gone with keeping model number to the 8000 series. His exact words were pretty much nothing to rave on about. I did a side to side comparisons on a couple of ocassions with the htiachi 8800 and philips with the new 1080 line alis and to be honest fo me was pretty hard to pick between them.

Big dissapointment is the lack of digital built in tuner as the 9700 model in the uk is getting. Though dont know if that tuner is a high def one anyways. not sure about the black side speakers either. I know a hitachi guy in hn I bumped into told me about the speakers being black as well but the pic on the website for 8900 shows the gun metal speakers. Agree, as far as looks I like the gunmetal side speakers too. The speakers on the 9700 in the uk has the gunmetal side speakers as well. the same hitachi guy that I spoke ot in hn by the way also told me eta for these was atleast a good month away from one week ago.

based on the unknown eta on the 8900, plus what seems like minor improvements the 8800 is what I ended up goign for myself, rather than try pushing HN for a 8900.

the hitachi guy I spoke to on the phone few weeks back himself said the 8900 is only a minor update on the 8800 nothing major between them, hence they gone with keeping model number to the 8000 series. His exact words were pretty much nothing to rave on about. I did a side to side comparisons on a couple of ocassions with the htiachi 8800 and philips with the new 1080 line alis and to be honest fo me was pretty hard to pick between them.

Big dissapointment is the lack of digital built in tuner as the 9700 model in the uk is getting. Though dont know if that tuner is a high def one anyways. not sure about the black side speakers either. I know a hitachi guy in hn I bumped into told me about the speakers being black as well but the pic on the website for 8900 shows the gun metal speakers. Agree, as far as looks I like the gunmetal side speakers too. The speakers on the 9700 in the uk has the gunmetal side speakers as well. the same hitachi guy that I spoke ot in hn by the way also told me eta for these was atleast a good month away from one week ago.

based on the unknown eta on the 8900, plus what seems like minor improvements the 8800 is what I ended up goign for myself, rather than try pushing HN for a 8900.

Hello Struggo and Al.

Just got a call from Retravision Brighton as he has just spoken to the Hitachi Sales Manager and i have some exiting news to post. He will have a new 8900 on display and for sale next week and he wants me to be the first buyer/owner. He has given me a price of $3400 so i will go in next week ready to negotiate on that price and purchase one. I can't wait. I know its not a major improvement but it has the new resolution levels and i can say i have the latest model.

Thanks guys

Hello Struggo and Al.

Just got a call from Retravision Brighton as he has just spoken to the Hitachi Sales Manager and i have some exiting news to post. He will have a new 8900 on display and for sale next week and he wants me to be the first buyer/owner. He has given me a price of $3400 so i will go in next week ready to negotiate on that price and purchase one. I can't wait. I know its not a major improvement but it has the new resolution levels and i can say i have the latest model.

Thanks guys

.....for now. :blink:

good luck and keep us posted

the hitachi guy I spoke to on the phone few weeks back himself said the 8900 is only a minor update on the 8800 nothing major between them, hence they gone with keeping model number to the 8000 series.

Ale, congrats on your 8800 purchase. You are truly a Hitachi guy through and through... :blink:

I have just been to HN at Moore Park Sydney. They have a 8900 on display. From what I can see, looks like the hitachi guy is right. Physically, the speaker of the 'new' model is black. I think everything else is same. I don't have a side by side comparison but trying to compare by memory of the 8800 I saw in Bing Lee. Unfortunately, cannot comment on PQ as they are being fed with ordinary tv picture. But I believe once set up properly, it should excel as usual.

Cheers.

Ale, congrats on your 8800 purchase. You are truly a Hitachi guy through and through... :blink:

I have just been to HN at Moore Park Sydney. They have a 8900 on display. From what I can see, looks like the hitachi guy is right. Physically, the speaker of the 'new' model is black. I think everything else is same. I don't have a side by side comparison but trying to compare by memory of the 8800 I saw in Bing Lee. Unfortunately, cannot comment on PQ as they are being fed with ordinary tv picture. But I believe once set up properly, it should excel as usual.

Cheers.

How much was the 8900 ?

Hello Struggo and Al.

Thanks guys

That's where I bought my 8800 a few months ago - a mate bought one a week later and got a good price at the time too. Talk to the manager Aaron Teo and see if he can do better on the 5 yr insurance plan. I think mine worked out to about $300.

Good luck with the purchase.

I'm pretty sure I just saw the 8900 at retavision in Perth. It was the true 1080 and had black speakers. Prices at $3999 but said they would do $3700. Anyone else got better pricing?

Refer post 35 if you missed it.

Well my 8900 landed in my living room this morning... cant wait for work to finish to get home and set it up. Will report back on how it goes.

**GASP**

Oh well at least we have someone to go thru the setting before we get ours hahah

:blink:

review!! GO GO

Don't you feel sick and need to go home!!!

We can vouch for you...

haha

Paid $3200 for it with 3 year extended warranty... long story (as can be seen in the 8800 thread) but I ordered a 8800 from a store who then informed me a week later they couldnt get it. After some nice words were exchanged (why sell me something before they actually knew they could get it) I got the 8900 for the same price.

And as much as I feel sick, today is the first day back after leave so I dont think it would go down to well haha. But will be ripping the box open as soon as I get home and get the xbox 360 hooked up to it.

As far as comparisons, I previously had a 7800 so I will try to do my best to compare it to that :blink:

Didnt have much time to play with it, but connected it all up and zeroed the settings and it looks fantastic. At the moment its only getting an analogue signal but the picture looks alot better than the analogue on the 7800.

Connected the Xbox 360 up running in 1080i and it looks fantastic. Once again its a fair bit sharper than the 7800 and color on 0 (on both tv's) looks alot "fuller" (for lack of better word).

Purchasing a HD set top box recorder in the next week or so, will hook that up and see how HDTV looks on it :blink:

But from first impressions, once again a fantastic TV... Hitachi seem to never disappoint.

EDIT: Can anyone reccomend some settings for this TV, or what they are using on their 8800 I can give a try?