Sign in to follow this  
zoonimal

Philips 42PF9831

can we ask what price you paid ?

Got it for $5.5k, retail was about $6.9k

We know the owners of one of the H.N. stores here in Perth and get good prices, down to staff prices (and less some times). We bought a PVR, DVD, Amp/Reciever, TV and all the associated leads. Got the lot for $8k.

Congratulations Luis. You are the envy of all panelkind. :blink: I think your review statement "SPOTLESS PICTURE" hits the nail on the head, thats all we really want in a panel!

As Dritz asks it would be great to hear where you purchased and price. Did you extend the warranty?

Also, have you wall mounted or table topped it?

By the way, welcome, as I see its your first post.

Yeah H.N. had a deal on with free 5 year warranty and free universal remote so these were bundled with the deal, although the remote didn't eventuate I did get a good deal so not too fussed, might look around for a Logitech remote or similar.

Watched ch 9's travel show last night on holidays in Oz and I was blown away with how great it all looked.

The only down side I've noticed at the moment is that the Playstation 2 picture is blown up so big it looks a bit fuzzy, but that's a PS2 problem not TV, plus I'm using crap connectors. Will be upgrading cables soon me thinks.

Thanks for the welcome everyone. Second post, I'm on a roll now :D

It's table topped. I had a big pine cabinet for our old Sony Wega that had the standard square hole for a square TV, 2 glass doors on the sides and 4 wood doors accross the base. So instead of buying a new cabinet I pulled it apart, got the jigsaw out and cut it down to create a small shelf using the top of the cabinet for the PVR, DVD etc and the TV is on top of this. Turned out excellent (even if I do say so myself) and saved us a lot of money.

Thanks for the welcome everyone. Second post, I'm on a roll now :blink:

It's table topped. I had a big pine cabinet for our old Sony Wega that had the standard square hole for a square TV, 2 glass doors on the sides and 4 wood doors accross the base. So instead of buying a new cabinet I pulled it apart, got the jigsaw out and cut it down to create a small shelf using the top of the cabinet for the PVR, DVD etc and the TV is on top of this. Turned out excellent (even if I do say so myself) and saved us a lot of money.

I'd say many an old buffet unit has had its legs chopped and been turned into a classy, real timber entertainment cabinet. Sounds very nice. While you're on a roll, any chance you can put up a Photo or two of your new panel and cabinet in action? (hey, youre up to 4 posts now...) I'm sure many of us are wondering how these panels will look set up in the home, especially with the white border outside the piano black.

Also, can you let us know what Picture, Backlight and Ambilight settings have you settled with? Could be very helpful for checking what we are seing in store.

Enjoy it. Thanks again for the feedback.

Well, at last I got to see this so called 'plasma killer'. Sorry folks but I agree with the detractors. When it's good it's very good but not perfect. When it's bad it's really bad.

With the 9 & 7 HD loops (HDMI connection) it was very good but still had problems with breaking waves and water shimmer at the beach as well as some fast motion - just like all LCD's have. I tried switching natural motion and pixel plus on and off etc. There's just no getting around it.

When fed a SD signal it ranged from being 'ok' to being woeful if the original source was bad (ie an old fuzzy infommercial that had been converted from NTSC to PAL).

I had the Panasonic HD 42" plasma right next to it being fed 7 & 9 HD loops via component at one stage and I can see why some would prefer the Philips LCD but I have to say that the plasmas won the day for consistency, albeit with the contrast turned right up to 100% and some further tweaking to avoid the unfair comparison of a greater output (candela) by the LCD.

For me the joys of this set did not outweigh its pitfalls. A TV should not swing from a bright and brilliant picture to a picture full of artefacts depending on the quality of the original source. It should display the low quality source no worse than it's natural, original quality. This is what the Pana plasma did.

I could have been persuaded to spend the big bucks if everything was great but it's going to be the 42" HD Pana plasma for me right now and I won't be too upset when I decide to lash out for a true 1920x1080p in a few years time.

Yeah H.N. had a deal on with free 5 year warranty and free universal remote so these were bundled with the deal, although the remote didn't eventuate I did get a good deal so not too fussed, might look around for a Logitech remote or similar.

Watched ch 9's travel show last night on holidays in Oz and I was blown away with how great it all looked.

The only down side I've noticed at the moment is that the Playstation 2 picture is blown up so big it looks a bit fuzzy, but that's a PS2 problem not TV, plus I'm using crap connectors. Will be upgrading cables soon me thinks.

Thanks for the welcome everyone. Second post, I'm on a roll now :blink:

Congratulations on your purchase, hope you thoroughly enjoy it. Wondering how it handles fast moving sport (eg camera panning at the afl) ? Any motion 'drag' or is it responsive as a CRT / Plasma ? It claims 3ms, which is pretty good.

Well, at last I got to see this so called 'plasma killer'. Sorry folks but I agree with the detractors. When it's good it's very good but not perfect. When it's bad it's really bad.

With the 9 & 7 HD loops (HDMI connection) it was very good but still had problems with breaking waves and water shimmer at the beach as well as some fast motion - just like all LCD's have. I tried switching natural motion and pixel plus on and off etc. There's just no getting around it.

When fed a SD signal it ranged from being 'ok' to being woeful if the original source was bad (ie an old fuzzy infommercial that had been converted from NTSC to PAL).

I had the Panasonic HD 42" plasma right next to it being fed 7 & 9 HD loops via component at one stage and I can see why some would prefer the Philips LCD but I have to say that the plasmas won the day for consistency, albeit with the contrast turned right up to 100% and some further tweaking to avoid the unfair comparison of a greater output (candela) by the LCD.

For me the joys of this set did not outweigh its pitfalls. A TV should not swing from a bright and brilliant picture to a picture full of artefacts depending on the quality of the original source. It should display the low quality source no worse than it's natural, original quality. This is what the Pana plasma did.

I could have been persuaded to spend the big bucks if everything was great but it's going to be the 42" HD Pana plasma for me right now and I won't be too upset when I decide to lash out for a true 1920x1080p in a few years time.

How was it connected? What settings (esp cont/sharpness) were you on? Also, if you managed to play with the Clear LCD, you were not receiving a HD signal on that unit me thinks.

I have seen Panaasonic 50" plasmas looking not much better than LG. Then I found out they were all running on component, like most stores, but split from a FOX source! (GG Penrith) They claimed poor reception on FTA.

All I can say is you need to do a second comparison elsewhere. Or there is variation in these sets. Also, re the review above again - why I ask you, would they give it 10/10? At 3m I find this set stunning.

Clear LCD and natural motion were not switchable when watching the HD loops via HDMI. Like I said it was this mode that it was at its best.

I managed to see it again today in another shop and I agree that it was very good with the HD loop.

I took DVE (Digital Video Essentials) with me today and ran the 'torture test' video/film based material via an LG DVD player (HDMI). It was very good again but clearly stuttered on some material. I managed to see the footy on it (AFL) via set top box (Toshiba) and HDMI connection. It was woeful. The artefacts are just severe and totally unacceptable.

Quite seriously, I want it to be good and I'm going to go in again tomorrow (Sunday) and give it a long test with a really good DVD player (any suggestions?) and a Topfield HD box.

I managed to see the footy on it (AFL) via set top box (Toshiba) and HDMI connection. It was woeful. The artefacts are just severe and totally unacceptable.

Thats because the broadcast is **** house...

It may look alright on a low res 42" plasma, but soon as you get a bit more res like with LCD's it shows up just how **** the broadcast really is.

Sometimes the ch9 broadcast is good.

Got to see it again today. The footy on HD 9 was ok but still with artefacts. Yesterday Ch 10 footy was woeful.

All in all I'd probably buy one if they were available (no stock for weeks!) and if the price could be bargained down (very difficult given supply/demand issues). I need a new set now and the Pana HD 42" @ $2850 + $300 for extra 4 year warranty + $429 for Topfield HD 7000 box + $80 for 3m HDMI cable will have to do. All from HN Adelaide (see Les and BIG THANKS to 'Broon' for posting his deal)

Ok, I've had a weekend of playing around with it all, but not the full blown tests I wanted to do because I've misplaced my Video Essentials DVD to do a proper set up. Have to get the Digital Video Essentials now.

Anyway to keep the missus happy I on Friday I hired Memoirs of a Giesha, picture was ok but suffered during heavy, smokey darkly lit scenes with high colour contrast at the start of the film (see the film you'll understand) and I wasn't too happy. So I dug out one of the Star Wars DVD's and used thier set up pages to fix things a bit.

Saturday I watched the AFL on Ten, better, but their signal really doesn't help things. That night hired March of the Penguins, which looked much better than the previous nights veiwing and Lord of War which was brilliant, still suffered a little during a dark lit indoor scene, but the rest was crisp and very clear, happy. After my better half went to bed I put on Pink Floyd's Pulse and read the DVD manual from cover to cover changing settings as I went, the picture on Pusle isn't great in some sections (brilliant sound though) so I changed over to Hell Boy for the dark scenes, fast action / special effects and after some tweeking it now is brilliant, I am so happy with it all.

To all that have asked this TV loves fast action, it's even surprised me with how well it likes speed, action, motion etc. It was the dark slow scenes that it was having trouble with, but it should be said that the trouble was with the background not the actors you're watching, a wall would be a bit blotchy and then the next scene in a different room and same lighting would be fine. DVD or TV I don't know.

AFL again yesterday on Nine was much better than Ten's telecast, but again it varied. Long shots were fine, but ground camera shots looked very pixelated.

Last night was the jewel in the crown with Planet Earth on ABC, wow, that blew me away. The panorama shots of the deserts were the sort of things that sales people use to sell TV's like these.

All up I'm very happy and to all those that have wandered into a shop somewhere and have seen one on a shelf, you're crazy if you go by what they have set up, of course it'll look dodgy it's in a shop with 100 other TV's around it. I don't care what a sales person says, get it in a home with some tweaking and it looks completely different. Some people just like to winge or are stuck with one brand and don't like others on principal, I was a Sony fan and the change to Philips was hard initially, but now I'm sold.

I'll have to check the settings and get back to ya'll. As far as what it's attached to: TV -Philips 42PF9831, DVD - Sony DVPNS92 using HDMI to TV and 5.1 leads to reciever (for SACD playback), reciever - Yamaha RX359B low end amp but I'm happy with it, PVR - LG5402P using HDMI to TV and optical to amp. Then there's the PS2, CD player and VCR.

I agree it's not a perfect TV, but I think that a lot of the picture issues are due to a crap signal and not a fault with the TV. Some shows look amazing (Planet Earth) and after some tweaking DVD's are crisp and clear. If you spend your life waiting for "perfect" then you will be sitting in a dark room looking at a blank wall waiting for the TV that will never appear.

I'm happy and nothing anyone else says will change my mind. :blink:

Hi

I have been reading up on this set and it seems very interesting if its the best LCD out there. Tossing up between a Pioneer 506/New LG 42 or 50PC1DG with matt screen, or maybe this Philips if it looks as good!

But I have read the Philips has poor PC connectivity in one review (Cnet.com.au) but everything else is brilliant esp. SD which other LCDs seem to have a big problem with.

Can anyone with one please comment, maybe Luis?

Here are my questions:

Does it true it has an Ethernet port on the Aust model? If so, doesnt this make it easy to connect?

Can you therefore play HD movies from a PC and see your Hard Drive?

How does the set appear on your computer when connected?

What are the problems if you have a HTPC? This is my next purchase and then the TV!

Thanks guys.

Hi

I have been reading up on this set and it seems very interesting if its the best LCD out there. Tossing up between a Pioneer 506/New LG 42 or 50PC1DG with matt screen, or maybe this Philips if it looks as good!

But I have read the Philips has poor PC connectivity in one review (Cnet.com.au) but everything else is brilliant esp. SD which other LCDs seem to have a big problem with.

Here are my questions:

Does it true it has an Ethernet port on the Aust model? If so, doesnt this make it easy to connect?

What are the problems if you have a HTPC? This is my next purchase and then the TV!

Thanks guys.

PC connectivity is one of the things I will be looking into (Half Life 2 on the big screen - cool), but haven't at the moment. Yes it has an ethernet port on the back of the TV.

How or where do you people attach pictures? I've clicked the add pictures button but it's asking for an external place. Where are they normally put?

As requested I have a few pic's of the TV in action.

Thanks.

Hi

Here are my questions:

Thanks guys.

Yeah, what is the function of the ethernet port?

How or where do you people attach pictures? I've clicked the add pictures button but it's asking for an external place. Where are they normally put?

As requested I have a few pic's of the TV in action.

Thanks.

Hi Luis... to imbed pics here you first need to upload them to an image hosting site like Imageshack... once they're uploaded - the site will give you a URL (if using Image Shack - use the Direct Link to Image URL) that you can use with the Insert Image functionality of this site. For example...

womadelaide2003ti9.jpg

Hi Luis... to imbed pics here you first need to upload them to an image hosting site like Imageshack... once they're uploaded - the site will give you a URL (if using Image Shack - use the Direct Link to Image URL) that you can use with the Insert Image functionality of this site. For example...

womadelaide2003ti9.jpg

Actually this site does not resolve the picture above..

In actual fact you need to host the picture somewhere.

Then create a link (Picture of the world and a paper clip seen above) and point it to the URL.

Actually this site does not resolve the picture above..

In actual fact you need to host the picture somewhere.

Then create a link (Picture of the world and a paper clip seen above) and point it to the URL.

I don't understand. I uploaded the pic from my computer to Image Shack which is hosting the pic. They supply the url (as shown above) and then I use the Insert Image function here with that URl.

You're saying I need to create a link using the Insert Link icon (world/chain) and then 'point it to the URL' ? Isn't the Insert Link function to redirect the user to the URL inserted (ie: The Image Shack hyperlink in my previous msg... a la : DTV Forum ). I figured the image wasn't showing as they're first approved by the owner/moderators here. Not sure I understand what you mean by :

Couldn't get the images to show so I'll just put the links in.

The first is the intro scene for LOTR: Two Towers, the others are light show pics from Pink Floyd: Pulse and the last 3 are the cabinet modifications I did (I know it's not the TV but I just want to show off).

The pic quality isn't too great because I wanted to take them in low light to show up the ambilight colours, you'll see if you have a look. I was hoping for a pic when each side of the TV is a different colour, but it didn't eventuate unfortunately.

Enjoy.

http://img87.imageshack.us/my.php?image=tvlotrmc9.jpg

http://img241.imageshack.us/my.php?image=tvpulse1pl5.jpg

http://img87.imageshack.us/my.php?image=tvpulse2sv7.jpg

http://img69.imageshack.us/my.php?image=tvpulse3zm9.jpg

http://img145.imageshack.us/my.php?image=tvpulse4vu4.jpg

http://img133.imageshack.us/my.php?image=tvpulse5tn8.jpg

http://img57.imageshack.us/my.php?image=cabinetbeforetp1.jpg

http://img501.imageshack.us/my.php?image=cabinetcutri7.jpg

http://img57.imageshack.us/my.php?image=cabinetdoneis5.jpg

I've had mine for 3 days now and even though I haven't given it a proper full blast test run I'm very impressed.

Did a quick test with my Sony DVPNS92 DVD using HDMI cables with the intro space battle in Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith. Thought the fast action, dark skies, big explosions etc would be a good test run. WOW, bloody brilliant, dark blacks, no motion blur, great colour. Spotless picture. Very happy. :blink:

Digital TV (using HDMI) also looks pretty good, but it depends on the show and station as usual. On the whole it's very good.

I'll give it a good run this weekend with sport and DVD's, but I don't think I'll be changing my mind, it's great.

Plus it has a very good SAF (spousal approval factor).

congrats on your purchase Luis, i got mine last saturday and was super impressed, dvd was excellent as was xbox and foxtel, on wednesday it started switching itself off every half hour or so, now it wont even switch on, it is being replaced with a new one and i really hope that one will be trouble free.

Steve

I had been closely looking at this Philips and several Plasmas, and was very interested to see the new Hitachi 8900 1080i panel last night, because some have said this Philips is not really full HD. BUT! Now having seen it I was shocked! This is the post I put up on the Hitachi 8900 thread after I got home. I think its appropriate to post it here for the benefit of others, as the Digital Stills off my memory card were stunning on the Philips, and I would especially recommend this test to anyone thinking of their TV as a future Media Centre in the home.

(http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtopic=37481&st=160&gopid=462178entry462178)

Had a very close look (at the Hitachi 8900) tonight at Domayne, on getaway and lost. HD component feed. Sorry guys but very disappointed. DULL DULL DULL!

Right next to it, a 43" Pioneer on the left. Pio had much better blacks... close by to the right, the new Philips LCd with the white border (9831) . It was BRILLIANT. It was brighter, sharper, cleaner colours. Just better. Full Stop. I cant buy a plasma now. Whats going on here I thought? Asking $5995. Gulp.

The Hitachi is so much closer to my budget. Love the case. The power swivel. But the pic is, sorry,rather lifeless compared to this Philips LCD. Its like chalk and cheese. Salesman agreed. He said best picture of all sets around easily. They are shocked. Kills the 1920 philips too. White border doesnt help its looks in middle of the store, it needs to be against a darker wall. The ambilight really draws you in, with it off the apparent 10/10 PQ drops to say 9/10 IMO. It seems to work really well. So much better than the plasma versions.

Back to the Hitachi. As I love my digital camera snaps I pulled out my SD card loaded with pictures (dropped them on a card off the pc before I left) and I had never seen on a Plasma or LCD TV before tonight. So tried memory card slot with some of hi res digital pics , and they looked like crap on the Hitachi! I couldnt believe it. Really so poor, they looked so DULL it looked like they had been colour printed on plain paper. I know it wasnt my pics! Then the Pioneer - hey, no memory card slot at all in the media box. What the??? Media box? No it aint!

OK back over to the Philips. SD card in, scans for card type, slideshow starts and presto, great POSTER PRINTS with UNBELIEVABLE QUALITY and COLOURS that are really really perfect! And natural. And much much better blacks. Back to the Hitachi, chaeck it out again, poor scaling, jaggies, and blacks looked really grey. Game over! (edit: this was the SD card - so nothing to do with feed quality, cables, or connections. Just a back to back digital still comparison.)

Can I suggest anyone buying a TV make sure you do this. Compare these 2 sets. Put an SD card in, its an excellent method of comparison. For me, game over Hitachi. I have liked the 8800 panel and expected the 8900 to be a touch better, but I am shocked at how far the LCD might have just come or be about to come. Surely other LCD manufacturers will have panels looking this good very shortly?

LCD blur? None. Viewing angle? excellent, better than the Hitachi too! I cant fault it tonight. Skin tones? Great. Shadow detail - blows the Hitachi away, something I didnt expect. Watching Lost, plenty of dull scenes for back to back camparison. Dark areas looked like globs of black on the 8900, buy incredible detail was there on the Philips. (Contrast 100/Bright 75/Colour 60/Cool/Ambi-dynamic& maximum/Motion thing off/ Artifact reduct On/DNR Off in case this helps!) Hitachi was factory settings and seemed very close to Pioneer 43 except for black level not as deep.

The Philips price? Ouch: $4900 and one in stock so Im thinking about it. Plus 2.7% for 19 months interest free. $160 for 5 years warranty. They want $4200 for the Hitach which I know is way off. But I cant consider it now, I dont think. The interest free might just make the 42" LCD workable. wacko.gif

Thanks everyone for all the 8900 info, hope my thoughts help someone make the best decision for them. For me, I think the 9831 is getting really close to CRT quality, although I can still see a few faults, so it can all only get better! But I cant wait too much longer, Im sick of looking at panels!

Plasmas look so much better in store together, and I had no problem with them up til now! Enjoy your sets if you have one - no intention to bag, but I am a bit shocked by what Ive seen tonight. Maybe it was an unfair comparison with the price difference!

Also the matt screen is a big plus with my bright room, another LCD plus. Again sorry! All the best.

Thanks for the post Jones's!

The only thing stopping me from getting this is the thought that a 1080p Bravia might be coming out Sept/Oct...

I am in the same boat as you and have been looking forever, but I have to wait 10 more weeks - I would cry if the month after I bought the Philips the Sony came out and blew it away.

This waiting game is killing me :blink:

... I have read this Philips has poor PC connectivity in one review (Cnet.com.au) but everything else is brilliant esp. SD which other LCDs seem to have a big problem with.

Here are my questions:

What are the problems if you have a HTPC?

Thanks guys.

Bump. Anyone tested this properly yet?

PC connectivity will be a critical factor for me. I dont have one yet but this is the way I would like to go.

Can I run DVDs and recordings from a HTPC and get maximum quality this panel is capable of producing?

Would powerstrip help?

And the above questions re ethernet port.

Thanks!

I have also seen this panel recently and was impressed with the PQ, so much so I thought I would do a bit of research about it.

I notice there are many reviews confirming my initial thoughts of it. I do want to go back and spend more time with viewing with diferrent sources etc. It is so far the best picture I have seen from a flat panel, my previous 'champion' being the Pioneer Plasma.

I have downloaded the users manual and have skimmed it quickly. I notice that it has USB support and even more interestingly this port allows for 'software' (firmware I guess) upgrades! I went back to Philips site and notice they already an update listed on the site. This feature amongst others really make this panel a standout. I do not know of any other panel that allows user updates.

cheers

Bump. Anyone tested this properly yet?

PC connectivity will be a critical factor for me. I dont have one yet but this is the way I would like to go.

Can I run DVDs and recordings from a HTPC and get maximum quality this panel is capable of producing?

Would powerstrip help?

And the above questions re ethernet port.

Thanks!

Just a quick note on the ethernet port.

On the base there are two ports - Common Interface and Ethernet. But there is a note in with all the paperwork that says "Erratum 42PF9831/69 Common Interface, Ethernet - No Function".

I guess this, like the Wi-Fi, is something we missed out on with the local release.

But there is still a PC-VGA port to connect a monitor to.

I have also seen this panel recently and was impressed with the PQ, so much so I thought I would do a bit of research about it.

I notice there are many reviews confirming my initial thoughts of it. I do want to go back and spend more time with viewing with diferrent sources etc. It is so far the best picture I have seen from a flat panel, my previous 'champion' being the Pioneer Plasma.

I have downloaded the users manual and have skimmed it quickly. I notice that it has USB support and even more interestingly this port allows for 'software' (firmware I guess) upgrades! I went back to Philips site and notice they already an update listed on the site. This feature amongst others really make this panel a standout. I do not know of any other panel that allows user updates.

cheers

Yep the TV has two USB ports in the side of the set. I've just checked the software version of the TV and downloaded the newer firmware (for the TV and Multi Media). Apparently it's as easy as sticking a thumb drive in the port and it does the rest.

I've had the TV around three weeks now and the software on the TV says it was loaded 26/04/06, but their site has a new release. I'll check it properly later and see what happens.

I did the firmware upgrade last night and it was very easy. Put the software on a memory stick, turn the TV off, insert the stick, turn the TV on and it automatically picks it up, installs and all I do is re-start the TV.

Done. :blink:

Just a quick note on the ethernet port.

On the base there are two ports - Common Interface and Ethernet. But there is a note in with all the paperwork that says "Erratum 42PF9831/69 Common Interface, Ethernet - No Function".

I guess this, like the Wi-Fi, is something we missed out on with the local release.

But there is still a PC-VGA port to connect a monitor to.

Yep the TV has two USB ports in the side of the set. I've just checked the software version of the TV and downloaded the newer firmware (for the TV and Multi Media). Apparently it's as easy as sticking a thumb drive in the port and it does the rest.

I've had the TV around three weeks now and the software on the TV says it was loaded 26/04/06, but their site has a new release. I'll check it properly later and see what happens.

It appeared to be an easy process from reading the manual. What if any improvements did you notice? Does it provide you with information as to what improvements have been implemented via the upgrade either during or post upgrade?

cheers