Sign in to follow this  
zoonimal

Philips 42PF9831

What DVD player were they using?

We had ours hooked up to the $199 Philips HDMI and it gave an absolutely S*H*I*T*HOUSE picture, hooked it up to the Panasonic S-52 and it made a massive difference. Currently we've got it hooked to a Philips DVDR7300 which seems to give a very nice picture.

Love to try it with a proper high-end unit though.

Didnt bother checking the player. Will do that when i go back.

This HN doesnt even have a good FTA setup. Last i checked they only get ch 9 and SBS. Many times i have been there and ch 9 has been pixelating due to poor reception. It is an old mega mart and they have been doing work to it (slowly).

Didnt bother checking the player. Will do that when i go back.

This HN doesnt even have a good FTA setup. Last i checked they only get ch 9 and SBS. Many times i have been there and ch 9 has been pixelating due to poor reception. It is an old mega mart and they have been doing work to it (slowly).

DO NOT BUY ANYTHING FROM THEM.

Stores with poor displays do not deserve your business. In fact, you should list them on

Official Worst Retailers Thread

Would you buy a car from a dealer when its running out of tune and poorly presented???

They are a frustrating waste of time!

There, that feels better....

Interested brisbane people. Harvey Norman at Garden City Mt. Gravatt now have 1 on display. The setup is not so good. On a loop and the 40" V series next to it looked better. Please note I didn't play with any settings.

Speaking of the new 42PF9831 in the Brisbane Sunday Mail there was a full page ad and a coupon to enter a competition to win one. You had to take it to a HN store and get it signed by a salesman.

Today I turned up to get mine signed, an elderly couple turned up at the same time with there coupon.

2 x HN salesman didn't even know of the competition and both went away to ask. I did found the TV and showed the elderly couple. The 2 x salesman turned up and said they didn't have that TV and knew nothing about the comp. I pointed out that this was the TV. A third salesman turned up and knew about the TV and a little about the comp and signed both our coupons. He then said to take it home and post it as they had no where to put the entry coupons. Well I've look and in the whole full page ad there's nothing about what to do with the coupons.

Anyone know ?

Also sounds like a national comp. Says promotor is Philips and runs from 1/7 to 12/8. Also says you can get a entry form at HN stores.

Anyone know anything ?

HN Mt.Gravatt certainly don't.

It's starting to really piss me off the number of retailers who clearly aren't setting the display up right or hooking it up with the right gear! GRR!

It's starting to really piss me off the number of retailers who clearly aren't setting the display up right or hooking it up with the right gear! GRR!

but surely it should look good straight out of the box with no tweaking of settings.

there seems to be a lot of people in here saying its no better than the Sony V series bravia.

I havent seen it yet so i can't comment

If you connect it with the best possible signal feed straight out of the box, yes, this usually works fine.

The problem is, many retailers connect their screens via composite, which looks awful.

If you connect it with the best possible signal feed straight out of the box, yes, this usually works fine.

The problem is, many retailers connect their screens via composite, which looks awful.

granted, but not all of them do.

and if all the panels are being fed the same then its reasonable to judge them all based on the signal they are fed (all the same).

After all, we can only judge tv's by what we see in a store. Its not like they allow us to try them at home before buying

granted, but not all of them do.

and if all the panels are being fed the same then its reasonable to judge them all based on the signal they are fed (all the same).

After all, we can only judge tv's by what we see in a store. Its not like they allow us to try them at home before buying

A cow says moo :blink:

The previous poster is right, many retailers are lazy and just connect crappy old composite or connect it up because it's cheaper than buying a component video splitter or it's just easier or the salesdrone doesn't know what he's doing.

Some tv's though handle composite singals better than others, I think the Panasonic Viera Plasmas handles composite signals better than other brands.

So it seems the majority of people who've seen this panel weren't impressed... but then they could have been viewing it on a less-than-perfect setup.

The people who do think it's good state it's better than alright... so it'd have to be the setup I'm thinking.

I'd really like to be able to confidently go out and purchase the new Philips. Unlike others - I have no problem with the white canvas surround. This could be due to my arty leanings (paint in oils , photographer, mix music) and a bit of an understanding of colour psych. The walls in my loungeroom are a deep blue colour so having a canvas of the correct base colour attached to the panel makes sense for someone in my position.

After reading a lot of posts here on the forum I'm still torn as to what to purchase and am currently looking to hold off till the after-christmas sales as there should be new panels released within that time.

It's a shame, really, as I thought this may be the right panel for me. I'll just have to stick with my 68cm crt for the time being, do more research, and wait.

So it seems the majority of people who've seen this panel weren't impressed... but then they could have been viewing it on a less-than-perfect setup.

The people who do think it's good state it's better than alright... so it'd have to be the setup I'm thinking.

I'd really like to be able to confidently go out and purchase the new Philips. Unlike others - I have no problem with the white canvas surround. This could be due to my arty leanings (paint in oils , photographer, mix music) and a bit of an understanding of colour psych. The walls in my loungeroom are a deep blue colour so having a canvas of the correct base colour attached to the panel makes sense for someone in my position.

After reading a lot of posts here on the forum I'm still torn as to what to purchase and am currently looking to hold off till the after-christmas sales as there should be new panels released within that time.

It's a shame, really, as I thought this may be the right panel for me. I'll just have to stick with my 68cm crt for the time being, do more research, and wait.

Zoonimal have you considered buying it from DS or Powerhouse when they finally come in, that way you can try at home before you buy. If you can wait, the price needs to fall and Im sure it will. Down to $5.1 and falling. As you know I am raving about this panel - have seen 2 now to confirm its got the wood on ALL the opposition ive seen.

Just to be sure, I spent 1/2 hour with Samsung 71R and the Sony V side by side on Thiursday night with the remotes, and I could not get pics on HD 9 news or neighbours ANYWHERE near the Philips. Really I would love to settle for the $3200 Samsung, it looks great. But everytime there is even slight movement I see slight blur and a loss of sharpness. eg portrait shot, face moves slightly to the left, and the skin pores and wrinkles just vanish until the subject stops moving again. NOT good enough for me. Not like CRT. Not like this Philips - 3ms some are claiming.

As for the white surround - your walls sound perfect IMHO and I am having the same thoughts with feature wall behind the panel. If you go to the trouble of Wall mounting, it will be brilliant!

Cheers

Well i went back to HN Fountain Gate today to see if things had changed.

THIS SET IS A PLASMA KILLER! Was setup with a philips STB running component cable. Was watching the footy and some ads on Ch9. (not pixelating today) WOW.

Many LCD's and Plasma's were on ch 9 so was a good time to compare. I am planning on buying a panasonic plasma very soon and thought the picture on it was very good....until i saw this. I have to admit there was no competition. Unfortunately the jump in price is too big to consider the Philips LCD at the moment.

Colours were very natural and not oversaturated like so many other LCD setups you see. Images were sharp and even fast motion was handled well. The ambilight was impressive. Still dont like the look of it when off, but as another posted said... how often do you sit in your lounge with the TV off.

The only critisim i had was the amount of noise in some shots. This was apparent in darker SD shots mainly on ads, (probably poorly recorded ones).

Well i went back to HN Fountain Gate today to see if things had changed.

THIS SET IS A PLASMA KILLER! Was setup with a philips STB running component cable. Was watching the footy and some ads on Ch9. (not pixelating today) WOW.

Many LCD's and Plasma's were on ch 9 so was a good time to compare. I am planning on buying a panasonic plasma very soon and thought the picture on it was very good....until i saw this. I have to admit there was no competition. Unfortunately the jump in price is too big to consider the Philips LCD at the moment.

Colours were very natural and not oversaturated like so many other LCD setups you see. Images were sharp and even fast motion was handled well. The ambilight was impressive. Still dont like the look of it when off, but as another posted said... how often do you sit in your lounge with the TV off.

The only critisim i had was the amount of noise in some shots. This was apparent in darker SD shots mainly on ads, (probably poorly recorded ones).

Sounds great... still havent found one to look at yet..

Its odd how some people claim it to be mediocre, and others proclaim it to be the king. :blink:

When it drops in price to $4500 then i think it will be a worthwhile option.

Sounds great... still havent found one to look at yet..

Its odd how some people claim it to be mediocre, and others proclaim it to be the king. :blink:

When it drops in price to $4500 then i think it will be a worthwhile option.

The first time i saw it i thought it was awful. (read previous posts) Shows what some proper setting up can achieve.

They have one these in HN Brisbane city now. I was very impressed, although it takes up a lot of realestate for a 42" screen but the picture was like candy for the eyes. If it was in my budget I wouldn't hesitate but for now it's dream on.

I told you guys this was IT! :blink::D:P

Set up is critical on these 42PF9831 LCD's because they really do display the world's best Crap very sharply if its fed into them!!!

Just walk out on bad set ups and tell them before you leave!

Yes the screen actually seems bigger than 42 doesnt it? As for price - thats the killer. I love the PQ - even the white border - but that price...

Come on Philips, drop it NOW to $4000 and you could have a market leader there in LCD and possibly pinch quite a few 50" plasma sales as well!

Waiting waiting waiting...

Cheers

What prices are we seeing for this model out there? Any below 5k ?

What prices are we seeing for this model out there? Any below 5k ?

I finally saw one of these in HN with a sticker price of $6,899.

Picture seems vivid and sharp. It was running a demo disc so I can't comment on HD FTV and more importantly sport. The white border seems like cardboard from a distance and makes the set look monstrous. Price still seems to be the major issue at the moment.

Guys

Really I cant find a bad review of this set yet. How many LCD panels have you seen reviewed at 10/10???

So for the doubting Thomas's out there, here you go...

http://www.unbeatable.co.uk/p_repr/Philips...s/32236682.html

Philips Ambilight Review -

Money; it’s only paper isn’t it. So spending it on something that you really, really like is fine… even if it’s close to three grand. Ok, you might need to take a deep breath before parting with that amount of cash but look at what you’re getting. This is the bee’s knees in televisions. We’ve seen many HD TVs at Unbeatable.co.uk but nothing has got us as excited as the Philips 42PF9831 Ambilight TV. It’s absolutely beautiful and full of Philip’s top-of-the-range technology. This is 42 inches of pure TV gold that gives you ambient light from the back of the set and changes colour and intensity to match the tones of the image of the screen. Put this, the jaw-dropping picture quality and all the other features together and you know that even if it means re-mortgaging the house this is one TV you’ve just got to have.

Design

Where do we begin, before you’ve even switched the Philips 42PF9831 on you know it’s gorgeous. There’s a 42 inch screen which is surrounded by a thick black panel and then finished off with glowing edges. The Ambilight Surround is four fluorescent bulbs framing the television which light up when you’re watching TV. As the tones on the screen change so do the lights around all four edges of the set and best of all, these lights reflect off the walls giving your living room a fabulous glow.

Innovative design. Adds a real WOW factor to any room.

Setup/Installation

If you get one of these we're sure you'll won't be able to wait to get it out of its box. Thanks to the easy set up you won't have to waste any time before you can start enjoying it. Switch it on and let the Philip's technology work its magic, scanning channels and storing them for you. To hook up your Sky Plus box or games consoles, just plug them into the back and the set will recognise them straightaway.

Features

The 42PF9831 has more tricks up its sleeves than Georgie Best and we could spend all day eulogising over them. But to save time we’re going to limit ourselves to the best features. Our favourite by far as we’ve mentioned above is the Ambilight Surround system - the lights being simulated by what’s on the screen really does make viewing more relaxing and looks uber cool. The set comes with Philip’s Pixel Plus 3 HD providing extra colour to both normal television viewing as well as high definition. Another feature includes the Clear LCD technology for shaper, faster and more vibrant images. There is a pair of HDMI ports as well as a PC link, USB and memory card slot and the TV is prepared for wireless connection to your PC.

Performance

It’s not a case of looks over substance here. The 42PF9831 looks fab and works like a dream. Thanks to its Pixel Plus 3 HD the picture quality is out of this world – you can feel your hands being drawn towards the screen it all looks so real. Its 1366 x 768p resolution makes you wonder whether they dropped some noughts at the end. High definition images have never looked so good. The blacks are really black and the rest of the colours bring everything to life showing all the subtle nuances on screen. The new ClearLCD technology obviously plays a big part in this awesome picture quality. The idea is it has an overdrive control and a dimmable scanning backlight which speeds up the liquid crystals’ reaction time giving a response time of 6ms. If you’ve not got HD products yet like a HD DVD player or the Sky HD box it doesn’t matter a jot. Even on standard programme viewing this TV outstrips others on the market. Again because of the Pixel Plus 3 HD there’s no ghosting or noise on the screen leaving you completely satisfied and wondering whether you’ll ever bother with HD film, the image is that good. You’d think with such fantastic picture quality Philips might fall short somewhere else like the sound, but even this works a treat and their five builit-in stereo speakers really pump out the volume - although it never hurts to add some subwoofers to give that full-on cinema experience. The double HDMI sockets mean you can plug in plenty of peripheral products like your DVD player or Xbox 360 (which looks fantastic on this TV) and the fct you can plug your PC in means you can access home videos and photos stored on your computer. The only one criticism we’d make, and it’s a really teeny weenie one the Digital Natural Motion processing system. The idea is that fast moving objects look smoother but what it results in is a slimy shimmer. But if you don’t like it, just turn that feature off –simple. Oh and did we mention how the Ambilight gives a real fire-warming glow to the room and reduces the strain on your eyes from the televisions glare?

What's In The Box?

Philips 42PF9831 42 widescreen HD Ready LCD Television with FREEVIEW, quick start guide, remote control with batteries, table top stand, RF cable and wall mounting bracket.

Overall Opinion

You've probably gathered by now we love this TV. We know it’s expensive but this is truly the TV to have if you can afford it. It’s just brilliant in every way. The 42PF9831 looks fantastic, produces amazing images and quality sound and the Ambilight isn’t just a pretty gimmick it does help enhance your viewing experience. Statement televsion has arrived with Philips' 42PF9831.

Picture Quality 10/10

Sound Quality 10/10

Connectivity 10/10

Future Compatibility 10/10

Ease Of Use 10/10

By Babita Waklin

Overall Rating :blink::D:P:P:P (5 STAR!)

I have also noticed the USA have the Philips 9831's RRP possibly set at $US3999 (= $A5248. @ current ER $0.762)

On the same site I looked at, their Panasonic 50" was $3999 also!

Philips, whats going on here in Oz where street prices for the Pana are down to $4150!! Yet the Philips is $6900!!!

Grrr... Waiting waiting waiting...

But its a great panel. Imagine what is to follow! (edit... I hope all other panel manufacturers are analysing the circuitry & figuring out how they did it!)

Cheers

I saw this panel yesterday at HN. The PQ really is quite impressive - very sharp, nice colours, and this was right next to a 50inch Panasonic PV60. I didn't get to see how it handled fast-moving images, which would be interesting. The salesperson was very complimentary about the panel.

I'm not a fan of the big, chunky white cardboard surround on the panel, though.

Call me conservative, but the ambilight thing doesn't really grab me. Just seems a bit unnecessary & distracting.

I dropped into a HN store yesterday to pick up a topfield 7000 STB. Walked straight in said i wanted it for $450. They said yep no problems. DSE the day before had almost laughed at me saying that was their cost, and who did i know at HN to get that price. Oh well...their loss.

Anyway... As i was giving my details i asked just out of curiosity how many new philips LCD's had been sold. He said none that he knew of because Samsungs LCD's S#!T all over it. I told him i thought the picture quality was good but the price was unrealistic. Hi 5 was on CH9 at the time. Lots of very bright colours, and it looked FANTASTIC. Anyone done a side by side?

Chris... Great photo. You've changed a lot since your last pic. Amazing what plastic surgery can do, or is that your girlfriend? :blink: Would love to hear your comments on this. (samsung vs philips that is)

I've had mine for 3 days now and even though I haven't given it a proper full blast test run I'm very impressed.

Did a quick test with my Sony DVPNS92 DVD using HDMI cables with the intro space battle in Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith. Thought the fast action, dark skies, big explosions etc would be a good test run. WOW, bloody brilliant, dark blacks, no motion blur, great colour. Spotless picture. Very happy. :blink:

Digital TV (using HDMI) also looks pretty good, but it depends on the show and station as usual. On the whole it's very good.

I'll give it a good run this weekend with sport and DVD's, but I don't think I'll be changing my mind, it's great.

Plus it has a very good SAF (spousal approval factor).

I dropped into a HN store yesterday to pick up a topfield 7000 STB. Walked straight in said i wanted it for $450. They said yep no problems. DSE the day before had almost laughed at me saying that was their cost, and who did i know at HN to get that price. Oh well...their loss.

DSE in my area (Moore Park) is also the least flexible compared to HN and Bing Lee. I quote them the best price from HN/Bing Lee and they'll just laugh. I guess it's their loss but they can survive from the sales of their other electronic components.

But the most ridiculous and pathetic retailer was Home Zone (Retravision) also at Moore Park. I tried to haggle their Strong 5400 display model but they wouldn't budge past $450. Next day I went to HN Bondi and got the box for $430 brand new! They are now in liquidation and I couldn't see a clearer reason why.

I've had mine for 3 days now and even though I haven't given it a proper full blast test run I'm very impressed.

Did a quick test with my Sony DVPNS92 DVD using HDMI cables with the intro space battle in Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith. Thought the fast action, dark skies, big explosions etc would be a good test run. WOW, bloody brilliant, dark blacks, no motion blur, great colour. Spotless picture. Very happy. :D

Digital TV (using HDMI) also looks pretty good, but it depends on the show and station as usual. On the whole it's very good.

I'll give it a good run this weekend with sport and DVD's, but I don't think I'll be changing my mind, it's great.

Plus it has a very good SAF (spousal approval factor).

Congratulations Luis. You are the envy of all panelkind. :blink: I think your review statement "SPOTLESS PICTURE" hits the nail on the head, thats all we really want in a panel!

As Dritz asks it would be great to hear where you purchased and price. Did you extend the warranty?

Also, have you wall mounted or table topped it?

By the way, welcome, as I see its your first post.

Updating thread with link to cnet.au review posted today

CNET.au 42PF9831/69 review

Hey Luis Syphur :blink: congrtats on your purchase... looking forward to your comments.