Sign in to follow this  
zoonimal

Philips 42PF9831

I might see you there! Thanks for your comments about the shimmer - I learn something evrytime I have a read here.

Ive been waiting to buy for a long time also - and the Plasma vs LCD decision is so difficult. None of them are saying buy ME although I was close to going with a runout 50" 500A. But then I felt it was lacking the brightness and contrast I was beginning to see in other 10,000:1 plasmas... Really I just want a SED...today!

Hopefully the 9831 might be the el supremo for 2006. Surely the $6900 will hamper sales - it shouldnt take long to fall, I hope. Then I just have to compare it to the new Hitachi 9700 1080i sets due to arrive, and the new Sonys, and against the Samsung 47" R's...

I've actually had a JB salesman say to me in April, dont buy a set until after the world cup in July. Sales will slow, prices will fall, and there's heaps of new models coming from what they've been told. :blink:

I'm with you, BRD. My purchasing rationale has changed over time, like this:

- A year ago I had my heart set on a large-as-possible 34" CRT from Sony or Rank Arena. I figured they would reach $1,500 by now.

- 6-to-9 months ago the biggest CRTs started drying up, and never reached the price point I wanted. Damn. I needed something for the World Cup (no tix!)

- So then I had my heart set on 1080i slim CRTs being announced by Philips-LG, but they had their dates repeatedly moved (and to this day, still aren't here)

- At the same time, I noticed some new 37" LCDs for under $3K that actually processed 1080i into 1080p before display ... that impressed my socks off

- Then soon later, when I saw 42" LCDs in the new year, I had really changed my mind to LCD.

- When I worked out how close I was sitting to my nice computer CRT to get all that nice 1080i detail, I decided on 42" 1376x768 over 37" 1920x1080

- So for a while I had my heart set on the Philips 42" LCD with Pixel Plus 2 HD, thanks to its feature list (and my prepared price had gone up threefold)

- 2-3 months before I wanted to buy, the prices had fallen quite noticeably since Christmas

- A month before I wanted to buy, I overheard some Harvey Norman salesmen in an empty store complaining about how sucky sales were going

- 48 hours before I wanted to buy, I found one of those sets, tried it out, and it really wasn't as clear as a Sony CRT (never mind the brightness strengths). The pictures were blurry, and the processing I wanted to spend money on was for Pixel Plus 3 HD, which wouldn't come until after the World Cup.

- So, 24 hours before I wanted to buy, I had hardly anything I wanted to get. Only a very cheap price would get me, so I looked at plasmas. Hitachi had one which swivelled via remote control like the Philips.

- Then I found a great price for Hitachi 1024x1024 42" panels on this forum, and got my local Bing Lee to match it.

In the end I got 42" as well as true 1080-line resolution (a combo I didn't expect to get!), but with all the plasma pitfalls. It was just terribly cheap and I didn't feel like waiting after the World Cup (having already browsed for a year), plus we had visitors to show off to :-) And it had a remote-control motor stand like Philips does, only better.

(Frankly the main requirement was that it displayed SBS HD 576p with as-little-or-less bobbing effects than my 1080i Sony CRT at work).

One day later I'll buy a Pixel Plus 3 or better from Philips anyway. It could be SED or it could be LCD if they get the brightness strengths up.

I'll post all my findings about the Hitachi panel on the 22-page thread soon.

CK.

- Then I found a great price for Hitachi 1024x1024 42" panels on this forum, and got my local Bing Lee to match it.

... I'll post all my findings about the Hitachi panel on the 22-page thread soon.

CK.

How many of us can relate to your DTV search! Congrats on making a purchase after all your research. I'm impressed with the 8800 also, and the price is sweet. Also has one of the nicest pedestal stands and case. Will keep an eye out for your comments on the 8800 thread. OT but just briefly- what did you pay & warranty?

I'm sure most of the top panels will no doubt look better at home, properly calibrated without critical back to back comparisons being made all the time. I think I can manage to just wait a little longer for my final decision... :blink:

It is finally in the HN catalogue. here are the claims:

- 3MS RESPONE TIMES ....Does anybody know if it is gtg or btw ?

- 7000:1 Dynamic contrast ratio (is that about 1400:1 normal)

- 4 Channel ambilight

- 2 HDMI

- Pixel plus 3 and 'clear LCD' technology

- $5998 RRP

And the most important question for me, how does it handle fast moving sport and has anyone seen it set up ???

- 4 Channel ambilight

- 2 HDMI

- $5998 RRP

And the most important question for me, how does it handle fast moving sport and has anyone seen it set up ???

Hey there Optusman... is this a physical catalogue? If so - do you have a scanner? HN's offical site are a little behind the times if what you're saying's out there for the public... :blink:

Is there an availability date on there ? I'm figuring the guy I spoke with got his facts wrong (ie: September release date / $7k rrp et al)

- 4 Channel ambilight

- 2 HDMI

- $5998 RRP

Well spotted Optusman! I see it on page 6 of the HN catalogue in todays Sun Herald.

Add to the list:

- Bonus 5 Year Warranty ('HN will extend the existing manufacturers warranty to a total of 5 years')

- Free Delivery within the Local Area (conditional '20Km from store')

- Bonus Lowda LCD Learning Remote Control Model R6150 worth $199 (available for all flat screen TVs at HN >$1500)

I cant wait to check out the "Clear LCD" again. "For the sharpest, blurr free LCD images with superior Black levels". And how it handles SD broadcasts.

Domain Penrith say it is due in stock this week coming. Actually in, not unpacked from warehouse yet.

HN Penrith - had a look but not on display. (didnt ask)

Good Guys - said due in September!

is this a physical catalogue? If so - do you have a scanner?

Get down to your local service station and get the Sun Herald!!! :blink:

Good Guys - said due in September!

Get down to your local service station and get the Sun Herald!!! :blink:

hehe... damn, I missed today's paper... I'll check in the cafe tomorrow. As for GG - I rang them and they said they could order one for me straight away. The guy at Philips confirmed this. (yeah - I know it's a vague Philips reference... I just spoke to a guy over the phone who dealt with the outgoing orders.)

By the way - good work guys. I'm keen to see this panel.

Add to the list:

- Bonus Lowda LCD Learning Remote Control Model R6150 worth $199 (available for all flat screen TVs at HN >$1500)

If I purchase from HN I'll be working the Logitech Harmony 880 in to the deal instead of the Lowda R6150.

If I purchase from HN I'll be working the Logitech Harmony 880 in to the deal instead of the Lowda R6150.

Great idea. The 880 is the way to go by all reports. It might depend on Lowdas deal with HN if its a subsidised promo.

So, who is going to see it first in store and post a mini review over a range of sources if possible???

I might not get to one until Thursday.

We need to know comments on

- 1080 Full HD Performance

- FTA scaling performance

- Black Levels

- Motion Blur impressions

- Ambilight Surround - what do you really think of its immersion effect?

- How does it compare to Pana/Pioneer plasmas and, or Sony/Samsung LCDs?

+ Best cash price, and where!

Great idea. The 880 is the way to go by all reports. It might depend on Lowdas deal with HN if its a subsidised promo.

So, who is going to see it first in store and post a mini review over a range of sources if possible???

I might not get to one until Thursday.

We need to know comments on

- 1080 Full HD Performance

- FTA scaling performance

- Black Levels

- Motion Blur impressions

- Ambilight Surround - what do you really think of its immersion effect?

- How does it compare to Pana/Pioneer plasmas and, or Sony/Samsung LCDs?

+ Best cash price, and where!

Saw one on the wall at HN today. Just stood and stared at the thing for about 20 minutes comparing it to the other panels around it. The full ambilight looks great but it was parked right under a fluro so I couldn't really get a feel for it.

As for the PQ - the settings are straight-out-of-the-box and it was definitely sharper than the models around it (including the pixelplus 2 panel next to it). Too sharp, really. It had that feel you get when you use Photoshop and Unmask your image too far. I'm sure if the panel was tweaked it'd look a hell of a lot better.

The blacks were black. Not up to the Hotblack Desiato level but black enough all the same.

Motion blur seemed non-existent.

I'll be going back in this weekend armed with a laptop, camera, and some hd dvd material.

Oh - HN RRP = just under $7k. I mentioned I'd be paying cash and was told I could have it for $6k. Good Guys said the RRP is just under $6k and they'd sell it for cash under $5.5k. Going to call GG this week to see if they can still order one or if HN have a monopoly on the panel till later in the year (as told to me by the HN rep).

Like you zoonimal I spent some time mesmerised by the 9831.

It was sitting between the new Toshiba REGZA 47WL66 ( man that's an interesting 47"lcd) and the Sony bravia KLVV40A10.

The Philips pq was really something. I only watched the loops and some sd free to air..

On what I saw you would have to pick it over the Sony and Toshiba. But

I really need to see it perform with some mega fast sports action thrown at it.

Not sure I like the huge white back board built into it for the ambilight. :blink:

Finally! got one in, setup and running today.

SO far it is one of the BEST LCD tv's I have ever seen.

Feed it 1080i either from HD (make sure its a good quality broadcast) or from a decent DVD player (just avoid the current philips hdmi unit, it's crap) and it looks simply stunning. Friday I plan to hook an xbox 360 up to it and see how it goes.

1. Contrast : yes blacks look pretty black

2. Viewing angle : still not perfect but still the best i've seen on an LCD

3. Amblilight Stereo, :blink: now that is simply cool

4. Looks wise, it looks very snazzy, I love the white border around it, its very different makes the TV stand out.

5. Motion, seems to handle fast motion quite well, no smearig or blurring was noticeable.

The biggest problem so far with it? well the fact that none of the sources I connected could do the TV justice, the Panasonic DVD-s52 was adequate but I don't think good enough, DVD isn't good enough, HDTV broadcasting during the day is pretty average.

However I put in a Philips demo disk and WOW, my jaw just dropped this LCDTV kicks ass no question about it.

SO far it is one of the BEST LCD tv's I have ever seen.

Feed it 1080i either from HD (make sure its a good quality broadcast) or from a decent DVD player (just avoid the current philips hdmi unit, it's crap) and it looks simply stunning. Friday I plan to hook an xbox 360 up to it and see how it goes.

3. Amblilight Stereo, :blink: now that is simply cool

4. Looks wise, it looks very snazzy, I love the white border around it, its very different makes the TV stand out.

5. Motion, seems to handle fast motion quite well, no smearig or blurring was noticeable.

The biggest problem so far with it? well the fact that none of the sources I connected could do the TV justice, the Panasonic DVD-s52 was adequate but I don't think good enough, DVD isn't good enough, HDTV broadcasting during the day is pretty average.

However I put in a Philips demo disk and WOW, my jaw just dropped this LCDTV kicks ass no question about it.

Better than the Bravia V series?

Better than the Bravia V series?

Look I like the Bravia V-series but was never that impressed though, the new Philips I think is miles ahead.

SO far it is one of the BEST LCD tv's I have ever seen...

3. Amblilight Stereo, :P now that is simply cool

... I put in a Philips demo disk and WOW, my jaw just dropped this LCDTV kicks ass no question about it.

Well done Chris on the first mini review! (You are cheating slightly... but I saw it on 21st May :blink: he he)

Here are some ACTION PICS for those who have not seen it yet

Full Surround Ambilight screen shot

Side on view

The full surround ambilights in action on the white border works brilliantly well with the piano Black surround. IMHO having the white and black borders together really seems to help your perception of contrast and blacks.

Zoonimal good work on prices, $5.5K is a great start... I look forward to your comments on the weekend if you get to evaluate it. I hope to track one down again tomorrow night.

How about a group buy for < $5K??? :D

It's one of the most cool looking tv's i've ever seen, I really dig it.

We had it hooked up to the new Philips HDMI dvd player ($199) that was terrible, the dvd player kept introducing weird artificacts such as horizonal lines etc.

Hooked up a DVD-S52, big difference this thing really shined.

Then replaced that with the HDMI upscaling Philips DVDR, once again very happy.

This tv kick's ass, the only thing that will let it down is poor sources.

I hope to have an xbox360 running on it on friday....

So how does it look with normal SD? This is really important I think. If its bad, I will find it hard to put up with a set that amplifies faults! What we want is CRT smoothness and reasonable blacks.

Is this THE ONE?

So how does it look with normal SD? This is really important I think. If its bad, I will find it hard to put up with a set that amplifies faults! What we want is CRT smoothness and reasonable blacks.

Is this THE ONE?

SD as in anal-ogue or 576i digital?

Sadly this is not the one, but it's damn close.

Any non HD signal which is 90% of material. On AVS forums there is concern the Clear LCD mode doesnt work on HD, but maybe its designed for SD sources? Can you get the Philips rep to confirm if it works on all material?

Here's an interesting Review I have just found, at CNET.co.uk

Performance

From struggling to keep the 42PF9831D's Features section under control, we could actually wrap this Performance section up in one word: wow.

With high definition in particular there really is no over-stating just how sublime the 42PF9831D's pictures are. For starters, we can't remember ever seeing any other HD picture look so phenomenally sharp and detailed. Thanks to Pixel Plus 3 HD, our HD sources look like they've actually been made in some new, even higher resolution format than 720p or 1080i.

What's more, this jaw-dropping achievement is delivered seemingly effortlessly, in that the Pixel Plus 3 HD processing used to produce it generates practically zero nasty side effects, leaving the HD pictures to look as clean as they are detailed. ClearLCD, meanwhile, presumably plays a part in motion on the 42PF9831D that's arguably the clearest we've seen on an LCD TV to date, plus black levels that are both exceptionally deep for LCD and absolutely stuffed with the sort of lovely subtle colour shifts that bring dark picture areas to life. This in turn makes the picture as a whole seem more cinematic and solid.

Tearing ourselves away from high definition for a moment, we were slightly surprised to find that the 42PF9831D is also a mighty fine standard-definition performer. Why surprised? Because Pixel Plus 3 HD's extra noise reduction routines seem to do away with almost all of the video noise that's apparent on standard definition pictures with Pixel Plus 2 HD processing.

Really the only negative thing to say about the 42PF9831D's pictures is that its Digital Natural Motion processing system for making movement look smoother can cause some rippling and shimmering artefacts. But then Philips does at least provide the facility to simply turn the feature off.

With so much picture finery on show, we could have forgiven Philips if it hadn't put much effort into the 42PF9831D's sound. But actually its speakers churn out remarkable amounts of sheer power, accompanied by a frequency range that sounds as expansive as many a hi-fi we've heard.

We simply can't sing the praises of the 42PF9831D loudly enough. It's ahead of the LCD game in pretty much every department we can think of, making it high definition's new best friend and, amazingly, arguably a bargain even at nearly £3,000.

I forgot to mention the inbuilt speakers are really impressive, loud and clear best TV speakers i've heard.

I should note that our unit we have running is made in Belgium.

I'd kill to see it running off a HD-DVD player.

Here is short UK Review with great large format pictures!

AV REVIEW - UK

Note their model is 42PF9831D,

D= digital tuner I imagine? :blink:

There is one very interesting thing I forgot to mention:

Take a close look at the pixels on this unit, they are plano-concave, meaning that each element the red, green and blue aren't straight like typical pixels.

Very interesting.

Interesting that the HN catalogue says 3ms yet the following review says 6ms:

Features

We could probably write more on the 42PF9831D's features alone than we'd normally write in an entire review. But we'll try and keep things as brief as possible, we promise.

The single most important feature of the 42PF9831D is its use of new ClearLCD technology. This effectively comprises two main components: Overdrive Control and a Dimmable Scanning Backlight. ODC's job is to ramp up the voltage applied to the LCD panel to speed up the liquid crystals' reaction time -- resulting, it's claimed, in a lightning-fast LCD response time of just 6ms.

Not that it really matters I guess, it's how it looks. can't wait to see it with my own eyes

Interesting that the HN catalogue says 3ms yet the following review says 6ms:

Features

We could probably write more on the 42PF9831D's features alone than we'd normally write in an entire review. But we'll try and keep things as brief as possible, we promise.

The single most important feature of the 42PF9831D is its use of new ClearLCD technology. This effectively comprises two main components: Overdrive Control and a Dimmable Scanning Backlight. ODC's job is to ramp up the voltage applied to the LCD panel to speed up the liquid crystals' reaction time -- resulting, it's claimed, in a lightning-fast LCD response time of just 6ms.

Not that it really matters I guess, it's how it looks. can't wait to see it with my own eyes

3ms or 6ms :::: I couldn't see any more smearing or blurring than I would see on a plasma.

3ms or 6ms :::: I couldn't see any more smearing or blurring than I would see on a plasma.

3ms would be its b-t-w

6ms would be its b-t-b which is realllllly good.