Sign in to follow this  
zoonimal

Philips 42PF9831

$4620 is a good price, so did you get a replacement or did the one you had work when you took it back?

no they replaced it , it was faulty. the green light would stay on but nothin else was happin also it was making a clicking noise ( relay ) every 30 sec . they replaced it no questions ask .

Heres a quicky thar someone maybe able to answer.

I have a 42PF9831 and i want to look at gettin a sony HDRSR1 HDD High Def handycam,

i noticed you talkin about the screen supporting MPEG 1,2 and 4.

My question to you....if anyone has tested this

Would i be able to hook up the sony via USB to the LCD and watch my footage back through

that. OR do i have to do it via HDMI

Reason i ask, is that i already have a DTR7200 High def set top box and a bluray player, so my hdmi is all but used up. If i can load it this way it would be sweet.

Cheers in advance

TJ

Heres a quicky thar someone maybe able to answer.

Would i be able to hook up the sony via USB to the LCD and watch my footage back through

that. OR do i have to do it via HDMI

Reason i ask, is that i already have a DTR7200 High def set top box and a bluray player, so my hdmi is all but used up. If i can load it this way it would be sweet.

Cheers in advance

TJ

I'm just guessing, but I'd say no, unless your sony can present itself as a storage device, like digital cameras and thumb drives do.

Tested it out, got my mate to bring one from his shot.

It detects it as an external device straight away. But the USB port wont stream the information fast enough to display correctly (image fine, sound shudders). Shame that, because you can control all of the cameras features through the TV remote. Would of been AWESOME!

I connected my MP3 player (iRiver H10 20GB) to the TV last night to see how it went playing MP3's etc from the device and I'm pleased to say it works well. :blink:

There's a little "trick" that needs to be done to the player for it to be read as a stand alone hard drive and then just plug it in. The TV brings up the menu screen and it's accessed through that. One cool feature is that the TV remote controls the music for fast forwarding, skipping songs, shuffle, etc. Plus it brings up any pictures and text.

It's not something I'd use much, if at all, but it's pretty cool to know it's there. :D

Looks like there's new firmware available for the 9831 on the Philips site.

I just bought the Philips 42PF9831 today and can't wait for it to be delivered.

Got the TV including delivery (because they are big beasts and don't fit in sedans) plus a SCART to Component lead (RRP $139.95) for my Foxtel to TV connection....all for $4570. This includes the Philips 3 Year Warranty.

I wasn't really chasing the SCART lead in the deal but I got it for half price on top of the TV plus delivery, so thought what the hell!

I was pretty happy with that deal as Philips are reducing their 3 year warranty to a 1 year warranty as of the 01 January 2007.

Gets delivered on Friday. Can't wait.

Anyone know anymore details about the firmware upgrade? What's different? Is it needed etc etc

Got the TV including delivery (because they are big beasts and don't fit in sedans) plus a SCART to Component lead (RRP $139.95) for my Foxtel to TV connection....all for $4570. This includes the Philips 3 Year Warranty.

I wasn't really chasing the SCART lead in the deal but I got it for half price on top of the TV plus delivery, so thought what the hell!

I was pretty happy with that deal as Philips are reducing their 3 year warranty to a 1 year warranty as of the 01 January 2007.

Anyone know anymore details about the firmware upgrade? What's different? Is it needed etc etc

my firmware version is jx31e-0.48.18.0 im not sure if this is the latest version or weather i should download the next version .

i'll tell you, you wont be sorry , best picture out there at the moment , ive had mine for a month now paid 4620-00 3 years warranty , shits all over the new sony lcd

You got a great price, i paid $5000 for mine a few months back.

The TV has 2 SCART plugs, so you would have been better getting a SCART->SCART lead and using that for your foxtel box. As there's only one set of component inputs on the TV, use them for a DVD player.

Mine came with, i think, 48.18 firmware, i upgraded it to 48.20 when i got the TV, this seemed to improve the picture qty, the latest is 48.30, i haven't installed it yet, so can't comment on it. Upgrading is easy, put the firmware on a USB thumb drive, plug it into the USB socket on the side of the TV, turn it on, the TV will see the firmware and upgrade itself.

Uploading Firmware 48.30; how long should the process take to complete?

It's the only application on the USB Drive I've inserted into the port. It's been loading for an hour now, not yet at validation.

regards

LCDWeaver,

The process should only take about 2 minutes. I did it yesterday with no problems at all.

Make sure you have a USB stick with nothing else on it but the firmware upgrade. Make sure you UNZIP the file as it is a compressed file and needs to be unzipped. The file is about 27 MB from memory when unzipped.

Plug the USB in with the TV switched off. Turn it on and it will recognise the file and download it all straight away.

Good luck.

Uploading Firmware 48.30; how long should the process take to complete?

It's the only application on the USB Drive I've inserted into the port. It's been loading for an hour now, not yet at validation.

regards

The upgrade should only take a minute or so.

LCDWeaver,

The process should only take about 2 minutes. I did it yesterday with no problems at all.

Have you noticed any improvements/differences with the *.30 firmware?.

The upgrade should only take a minute or so.

Have you noticed any improvements/differences with the *.30 firmware?.

Mark, no, I haven't. Still having trouble loading the firmware. Gurtofen, I have tried your suggestion. I thought I may have unzipped my file incorrectly, but have since been distracted...

Yestderay, I have purchased a SONY DVD player (DVPNS76H) with monster cables (HDMI & audio). The 4yr old Toshiba with its connections were producing a shadowy effect around individuals. There were other problems.

I am currently watching Star Wars III. The picture quality is mind blowing! Picture perfect. No blurring, drag, vibration etc. CRYSTAL CLEAR. Pick the anology. I'm no real techo, but gee, am I glad I bought this 5/6 months ago!

Firmware can wait til next week. Much to do tomorrow as I head back to work Monday

Hey guys Im new here, I was looking at buying a 32inch Lcd tv, but mainly to watch Hd dvd when they do come out, HdTv and The xbox 360. Is the 32PF9531 any good?

The models I had a look at was the Panasonic-Tx32lx60a, Samsung-La32R71bx and of course the Philips-32PF9531. But I have to say comparing all these models when I went to the store the 32PF9531 really blew my mind, but cant seem to find many reviews or topics about it. Is it a good tv to get? Thanks for your help guys.

Hey guys Im new here, I was looking at buying a 32inch Lcd tv, but mainly to watch Hd dvd when they do come out, HdTv and The xbox 360. Is the 32PF9531 any good?

The models I had a look at was the Panasonic-Tx32lx60a, Samsung-La32R71bx and of course the Philips-32PF9531. But I have to say comparing all these models when I went to the store the 32PF9531 really blew my mind, but cant seem to find many reviews or topics about it. Is it a good tv to get? Thanks for your help guys.

I've got the 42PF9831 so can't comment on the one you looked at, but if it impressed you that much over the other ones, then i'd say get it.

Is it true that the Ambilight will enhance contrast (ie. show blacks as black, etc) or something when turned on and in a dark/lightless room?

Need Help pls im thinking of buying this panel and im torn between this Unit and a samsung PS50Q7HDX the main purpose is to have my PC connected to it and use as a media device and gaming machine and use the functions of Vista... I have been given a great deal on both (ie both are around $2800) but dont know which way to Jump

cheers

Is it true that the Ambilight will enhance contrast (ie. show blacks as black, etc) or something when turned on and in a dark/lightless room?

I have just purchased a new 50" Philips Plasma. Whilst it didn't look that great in the store (the 50" Panasonics and Pioneers looked far better) at home it looks absolutely magnificent.

If I ever turn off the ambilight I get howls of protest from the family to turn it back on - it certainly adds to the ease of watching such a big light source.

Also, you only need a room that it not bathed in sunlight for the ambilight to work , you don't need total darkness.

Hi,

Anyone got current street pricing on these? (The time is close).

I am also interested in comments from anyone who's got PMM software working and serving content to this model.

P

Hi,

I am also interested in comments from anyone who's got PMM software working and serving content to this model.

P

Harvey Norman Adelaide has a sticker price of $3499. You should be able to talk them down to around $3000.

Buy this television!!!!........I think it is awesome and I am extremely happy with it.

Cheers,

Gurtofen.

Hi,

P

The networking feature is supposed to be disabled on the aussie version, never tried it to find out, be nice if it did work.

The networking feature is supposed to be disabled on the aussie version, never tried it to find out, be nice if it did work.

There's a little bit of paper that comes with the Tv that says the ethernet port is disabled. It's there, but not working. Not sure even if it's connected to anything.