Philips 42PF9831

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

was at HN Preston no sign of the Philips...

I gave Philips a call on 1800 009 300 to see who had ordered them (HN) and who could order them (GG , HM , BL et al) before hotfooting it.

I went and saw this set yesterday hoping I would be impressed. The store had it sitting in a section where no other LCD's were immediately visible. The ambilight border was larger than I expected, and with the horizontal stripe pattern, looked a little like a temporary cardboard or something. But this wasn't enough to put me off.

What was enough was I immediately saw quite poor colour consistency in a all white background. A bit like what you notice on an older LCD where the backlighting is becoming sus. This could have been specific to this particular set, and wasn't awful, but enough to be a distraction.

The picture was on 7 digital football through a Topfield 7000 stb, and was awful. I switch first quickly to the 7 loop, which looked pretty ordinary. Then to 9HD and 10HD. Neither were broadcasting anything special at the time and the picture was a bit ordinary there too.

After this a sales guy came up and asked if I needed help. I said I wished I could see it through a decent source. He said I'll go and grab our HD DVD player. I was a little surprised but I said yeah sure..

He came back with a $199 Philips upconvert player (!). Funnier still it was set to output 576i and funnier still he threw on a Robbie Williams concert. I wouldn't have expected that to be of reference quality, usually I thought these concert dvd's were normally NTSC native res. Which might explain what I saw next.

There was a major tearing/strobing type effect with any rapid motion. He was wearing a black suit and it seemed particularly bad with black motion on a light background. This was the most distracting visual artifact I've ever seen on a display device.

I went in to the menus and turned off clear lcd and smooth motion (or whatever it's called). This seemed to cure the artifact which then turned into a normal motion judder type effect, but it also seemed to reduce the percieved contrast ratio somewhat.

Admittedly I only saw this set with a 576i, heavily compressed 576p (demo loop) and poor 1080i (9 and 10HD) source. But I certainly could not recommend it based on what I saw. I was really expecting a lot more from pixelplus3.

On the positive side, the colours were very impressive and the overall image was mostly dynamic. I think the main thing at fault was the PP3 tech.

After reading all of your positive posts, I went yesterday to have a look at it at Harvey Norman. My first impression was, "is that white border corflute?" You know the stuff the make plastic signs out of. The reason for this was the light grey lines on it. I had to touch it to make me believe it was corflute!

The picture wasn't great as everyone has been saying but I know that has a lot to do with the input. It was playing the AFL through Channel 10 hooked up with Component. There was quite a bit of fuzz or blockiness or whatever you call it around some faster moving action when the camera pans etc... I know you get it with Plasma as well. I wonder if this will ever be fixed or is it something we'll all have to live with as I guess it has a lot to do with the source as well?

I'm sure with better sources it would look great. Just can't understand why you would spend just under $6K though for a 42" when HD plasma is just as good picture for sport at $3500 or even a 50" around the same or cheaper again. I'd probably only get LCD if it went up to 50" at this stage unless it was something unbelievable.

Still can't get over the white border looking like corflute! I think it would have been better to leave out the lines and make it a polished white finish. But I suppose the glare then might be too much.

Mossy

Just spent a bit of time today with the 9831, hooked up the Philips HD box via HDMI and i've been really wowed, the Channel 7 demo loop looks so much better than on any other display included.

Several metres away lay a 50" Viera...sad to say the Viera just looks dull in comparison.

I must admit if I had the money to burn on a 42" i'd buy this Philips over any 42" Plasma, including my perenial favourite PDP436.

I've seen a few negative comments, all I can say is obviously you weren't seeing the TV been fed from a good source. I'm just gobsmacked by how even 576p channel 7 looks.

I'm still not decided whether or not LCD is the future, but if this tv is the shape of things to come then the future is very bright.

This is the first time i'd pick an LCD over a plasma in a 42" Size. Dritz you hearing me?

The picture wasn't great as everyone has been saying but I know that has a lot to do with the input. It was playing the AFL through Channel 10 hooked up with Component.

Mossy

I feel sorry for people, who, shall I say get misled when evaluating panels. AFL is usually the crappiest broadcast. Tell me a plasma it looks good on! It would be unfortunate to test drive a Ferrari on a dirt road. What you need is a mountain pass... But if you end up thinking an SS Commodore is really better than a Ferrari then thats your call based on what you saw. But you've really missed properly seeing a breakthrough panel IMHO.

What you really need to do is search out a good set up, just like home, and also tell us where you saw it so badly presented so we can avoid them!

Maybe we should start a thread of retailers to avoid because of bad displays and service. How much time does it waste when we are hunting for a panel? Actually, I might start with Harvey Norman Liverpool. The crappiest feed i have ever seen, judder on all plasma sets, followed by crappy service when I asked about it. :ph34r:

(Edit... The Official Worst Retailer Thread for Poor Set Ups and Service!) If they stuff you around or have crappy display quality let us all know!

So where did you see it?

I feel sorry for people, who, shall I say get misled when evaluating panels. AFL is usually the crappiest broadcast. Tell me a plasma it looks good on! It would be unfortunate to test drive a Ferrari on a dirt road. What you need is a mountain pass... But if you end up thinking an SS Commodore is really better than a Ferrari then thats your call based on what you saw. But you've really missed properly seeing a breakthrough panel IMHO.

What you really need to do is search out a good set up, just like home, and also tell us where you saw it so badly presented so we can avoid them!

Maybe we should start a thread of retailers to avoid because of bad displays and service. How much time does it waste when we are hunting for a panel? Actually, I might start with Harvey Norman Liverpool. The crappiest feed i have ever seen, judder on all plasma sets, followed by crappy service when I asked about it. :ph34r:

So where did you see it?

Great idea BRD. AFL is usually my litmus test, especially camera panning. Can't wait to see this in Sydney. Any ideas where in Sydney. If anyone can report how the Philips performs with AFL on the best possible set up, that would be great. I too would hate to write off a breakthrough panel due to poor set up

just saw a hN add for this. looked like sh!t sorry with the glowing white background and the price $5,999 bloody hell you could get two hitachi 42" 8800TA or two of the pana 42" HD plasma's for the same. It woudl have to be one bloody hell of a good panel for that sort of money !

As I said, this is the first time I would get a 42" LCD over a plasma and many of you know I'm a plasma whore.

I've seen the 8800TA hitachi and personally the 9831 shits all over it, sorry.

Fear not i'm not totall converted over to LCD tech, but plasma has been knocked off my pedestal.

~

I've seen the 8800TA hitachi and personally the 9831 shits all over it, sorry.

~

I havent seen the philips here yet to comment on its PQ but at the price its beign pitched at it had better **** all over the quality plasmas that are sellign at half its price.

I havent seen the philips here yet to comment on its PQ but at the price its beign pitched at it had better **** all over the quality plasmas that are sellign at half its price.

You know me? You know who I am :D

I was the king of plasma whoring, love my plasmas still do and i'm turning around saying that i'd buy this lcd over a plasma, scary times we are living in :blink:

Yes brother im hearing you.

hehe, finally you have seen the light. Its just i saw the light first :blink:

As I said this new Philips makes most of the 42" PDP's look dull by comparison. This is the first and only LCD that I have seen that has done that for me....

Rang Good Guys just then. Info : They can order the panel for me. Max 3 business day turnaround and they said they'd beat $5.2k for cash.

Anyone else got a quote or +ve/-ve comments to add ?

After reading all of your positive posts, I went yesterday to have a look at it at Harvey Norman. My first impression was, "is that white border corflute?" You know the stuff the make plastic signs out of. The reason for this was the light grey lines on it. I had to touch it to make me believe it was corflute!

Just can't understand why you would spend just under $6K though for a 42" when HD plasma is just as good picture for sport at $3500 or even a 50" around the same or cheaper again.

Still can't get over the white border looking like corflute! I think it would have been better to leave out the lines and make it a polished white finish. But I suppose the glare then might be too much.

I had a look at this panel at HN on Sunday and wasn't at all impressed with the white surround. I think it makes the TV look like it belongs in a trade exhibition rather than a living room. While I agree that backlights work well (I use one with my WS CRT TV), the implementation here spoils the look of an otherwise impressive panel. I have to agree with mossy about the price - way too much for a 42" 1366x768 LCD panel.

I had a look at this panel at HN on Sunday and wasn't at all impressed with the white surround. I think it makes the TV look like it belongs in a trade exhibition rather than a living room. While I agree that backlights work well (I use one with my WS CRT TV), the implementation here spoils the look of an otherwise impressive panel. I have to agree with mossy about the price - way too much for a 42" 1366x768 LCD panel.

agree on that one as well. Lookign at it, couldnt have this in our lounge room and certainly not at the price its going at given what it is.

Seems there's little love for this panel here.

What would people recommend then for someone who wants to use a laptop, 360 & PS3, and HD DVD content (ie: from laptop) that'll satisfy for the next 5 or so years ?

I've read plenty of 'lcd is overrated' and 'plasma burn-in' threads to last the distance but it feels like the lcd vs plasma debate's are akin to the old pc vs apple chestnut.

This decision is harder than buying a house or car and most of it's due to the fact the majority here can't agree - and you guys/girls are the so-called experts in this field.

A top 5 list of lcd & plasma panels listing strengths and weaknesses would be a major resource. Does such a list exist ? Would it be possible to create one here ?

Seems there's little love for this panel here.

What would people recommend then for someone who wants to use a laptop, 360 & PS3, and HD DVD content (ie: from laptop) that'll satisfy for the next 5 or so years ?

I've read plenty of 'lcd is overrated' and 'plasma burn-in' threads to last the distance but it feels like the lcd vs plasma debate's are akin to the old pc vs apple chestnut.

This decision is harder than buying a house or car and most of it's due to the fact the majority here can't agree - and you guys/girls are the so-called experts in this field.

A top 5 list of lcd & plasma panels listing strengths and weaknesses would be a major resource. Does such a list exist ? Would it be possible to create one here ?

Try some decent software for your Lappy like POWERDVD 7 for starters..

'lcd is overrated' and 'plasma burn-in'

The CH 7 geek Peter Blasina talked about LCD V Plasma the other day..

Better blacks on Plasma.... Burn in on Plasma is a thing of the past.... LCD's are good for sub 40inch panels only BECAUSE Plasma doesnt go any lower... So he rates plasma over LCD.

Panasonic,Hitachi,Fujitsu,Pioneer are good plasma brands..

Samsung is the LCD to go for as the rest are overpriced and overrated.

Good luck and if you are in Sydney I suggest you see the tach show at Darling Harbour this weekend to get another opinion. :blink:

Heya, This TV has put me in somewhat of an unfortunate position. The Finance Department was looking on one night when I was doing my research into our new TV purchase.

I was browsing through BRD's Sydney Homeshow pics when she spotted this one...

http://community.webshots.com/photo/550591...055055664AdxzLP

"I want THAT one!" she announced.

"er... thats going to be around $6000 and 8" smaller than the 50" models we have been looking at." I informed her.

I am fairly sure the tax return cheques will be here before the new Pioneer 507 Model is released locally :D That money will be burning a giant hole in our pockets. I never thought it would be me that was going to stall a purchase but if we are going to be spending 6-7k on a screen it would want to be 50" at least as far as I am concerned.

It does sound like this Philips has some seriously good PQ, I may have to sabotage the demo when we actually find a place that has one set up. Maybe bring in my dodgy old vhs taped off ABC Red Dwarf eps for the Philips, and a superbit Fifth Element for the Pioneer. Then stand back and let the 'film like' magic of super long play palsonic vhs point her in the right direction.

Why oh why did Panasonic have to go and change their model like they did?! Could have saved me a bundle.

PQ is king for me. I was happy with their new 50" model.

Her response... "Nup! Dont like the silver".

er.. yeah, so my thanks to BRD for throwing a spanner in the works. :blink:

Finally, does anyone know where in Perth I can go and see one of these ambilight wonders?